Print Page | Close Window

My 720 has no spark

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Garden Tractors
Forum Description: A great place to discuss the Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Models
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=188382
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My 720 has no spark
Posted By: BUD76
Subject: My 720 has no spark
Date Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:36pm
Hi guys, I used my 720 and hooked up to my tiller to use it and when I was done. I went to park and unload the tiller in its usual spot, but when I went to start the 720 it wouldn't start. I checked and it's not getting spark. Is there anything else besides the coil I should check or replace? I see that there are two wires that go off underneath the carb and intake assembly but don't know what they go to.  Does this have points maybe??  Sorry, I don't know much about this particular engine, it was my dad's, and I don't have a manual. Thanks, Bud.

Replies:
Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 9:03am
Yes, points and condenser are next on your list to check.

Posted By: AcFordHawk
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 9:20pm
The points box is located on the front of the engine below the intake manifold.  Picture shows the rectangle shaped box housing the points at the end of the air intake (not a standard set up, it was a mod some previous owner had done)

-------------
IB (restoring), MF GC1705, MF 2705E

Posted By: AcFordHawk
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 9:32pm
Attached is a parts break down for the points.  I have a CCKB manual in digits but may be too large for email or PM.

uploads/610/CCKB_points_2022-05-22_21-32-12.pdf" rel="nofollow - uploads/610/CCKB_points_2022-05-22_21-32-12.pdf

-------------
IB (restoring), MF GC1705, MF 2705E

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 7:33am
Also, check the ignition circuit at the plug by the engine, and also the circuit going up to the points box. It gets pretty damn hot under them hoods, and over time circuitry gets brittle and sometimes the circuit can break losing power all together to the points. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check over the whole electrical system in the Tractor. Varmit's get into the wiring over the Winter and chew on the circuitry. Check the ignition switch also. The switches fail on occasions and melt the plug in the back of the switch. Components just get old like we do......
Steve@B&B

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:53am
Thanks guys, I'll check all that stuff today. If it turns out to be points, where can I get a good reliable set? Also has anyone come out with a Pertronix kit for it to go to a "pointless ignition"LOL?

*** update***   Turns out it was the points for there not being any spark. I sprayed some contact cleaner and used a little points file to clean them up but they are arcing really bad. I guess this explains the sputtering and bad running just before the spark quit, lol.

Posted By: estout81
Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:49am
BUD76,
That engine looks like a Briggs. I have a generator that has an engine like that and the same thing happened to me. I hooked a regular car condenser to the terminal for the kill switch and ground ground. It runs fine now! About a five min. fix. If it is a Briggs engine there is a electronic unit for it from Briggs. I think it is less than $100.

Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:58am
It's an Onan 0.8 liter engine, model CCKB. I guess I need to find a real good condenser source so I don't have to mess around with this too often.

Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 6:29pm
Thanks for the help guys, I got a new set of OEM points and condenser locally and adjusted to .020 and she fired right up a purred so nice!! lol  Thank you AcFordHawk for the manual! I learned a little about this little 720 today. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net