Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=187969
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 3:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 100 MPH Corn planter
Posted By: Kansas99
Subject: 100 MPH Corn planter
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 4:39pm
Yesterday evening it got a little gusty while I was planting corn. Seems we had a storm without any rain as usually. Although we were lucky it sounded like Andale (Wichita) had a tornado again. That town seems to be a tornado magnet. I don’t know how much damage they had as they haven’t said much on the radio today.

Was told that the power company wind meter read 107mph in McCracken yesterday.

Lots of real estate changed hands yesterday day for sure

Here’s some pics from the field.

If there’s any question of how hard it blew this pic will clarify it. If you look down the line between the two tanks you’ll see that the NH3 tank which was about 1/4 full was being pushed sideways and tracking over on my planted rows.

The second picture is that same tank behind the planter as I type and you can see it’s tracking straight, although gusts to over 50mph today.

Trip to get more seed this morning. I’m thinking after they cleaned their shorts they probably won’t pas through KS on vacation again.

It’s been the windiest spring I can remember and probably the second driest. Heard on the radio that dodge city had recorded 19 days of wind over 40mph in April and that was on April the 23rd and I think it’s been worse since then.

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Replies:
Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 6:28pm
Wow. Thanks for sharing. Here they are saying is second windiest since 2012. Was in moderate drought stage till last week. Wind, then rain then wind then rain. See a pattern? Glad you got some seed in the ground

Posted By: DanWi
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 6:29pm
You put anhydrous on with the corn planter? Do you run a knife right between the row? How do you keep up with tanks when planting a lot of acres?

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 9:36pm
Can still remember May/June motorcycle ride thru Dodge in 2010, had bike in HARD Lean trying to keep in a lane until got close in to Pueblo.  Those were just 50mph winds per weather reports, beat me to death and HAD to stop for the night.  Only made DC KS to Salida CO in a day.  Worst pressure was West of Garden City.

Posted By: FloydKS
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 10:07pm
I live bout a half hour west of Wichita and it was Andover that is just east of Wichita and got another tornado... took out a YMCA and some houses.
The huge storm cloud went over my house and kept going, was probably the one that the tornado dropped out of.

-------------
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 01 May 2022 at 4:29am
Lucked out!! Is a bad day with tornados cannot fight them back.

Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 10:29am
Floyd that’s what I was thinking town east side of Wichita. Did you guys have much wind there?

Here’s a picture yesterday from the same field while I was spraying looking the same direction as the first photo above looking ahead in tractor. Gives a better idea of how much dirt was moving that day.

This is a planted field looking down the planted rows believe it or not that I received about 2 inches of my neighbors field. I dug some corn seed up in this spot and it is now 5inches deep. luckily it’s not the entire field but it’s too much of it for sure.

And this one s spayed no till wheat stubble ready to be planted to milo. It just rolled the stubble up like carpet. Those piles you see are about 4 ft tall. I’m not sure what to do about the situation as I have multiple fields with this problem. The stand of milo won’t be good even if the piles are somewhat spread out.

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 10:49am
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

You put anhydrous on with the corn planter? Do you run a knife right between the row? How do you keep up with tanks when planting a lot of acres?

Dan, I run a dawn opener that is a disc with fertilizer tube and trash whipper combination. It’s mounted directly to the planter frame and the disc runs directly in front of the gauge wheel placing the nh3 2 inches off the row. The gauge wheel closes the slot the disc makes shut holding the nh3.

On irrigated corn I put 75-100 lbs on with the planter the rest preplant for a total of around 225 lbs. I do also put 50 lbs of 28-0 through my SDI systems I just put less on preplant because I always try to band the same on with the planter.

On dry land milo or corn I put 100% on with the planter but our target yields out here on dry land are only 125 for milo or corn so only running around 100 lbs. Although in a big field where you can run acres that’s still changing tanks every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Keeps the guy pulling tanks on 30 mile round trips busy.

Here’s the opener on the planter you can see the fertilizing tube and disc in relationship to the gauge wheel that seals it.

I should add that the liquid tanks you see are plumed in furrow with the seed. Basically on dry land all fertilizing is done with the planter. Irrigated has both n and phos put on up front because of the quantity needed.

I’m also currently getting ready to set up my wheat drill with mid row banders to put on nh3 as well. Again it’s used only on dry land so the goal iwill be to put 100% on at planting.

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 11:20am
Funny how things are done different in different areas. We put some 28 on with the planter but you want to be carefully not to get too much too close to the seed. In our clay soils it can hurt germination and kill small sprouts if the weather goes against you. I thought it would be worse with anhydrous that's why they knife it in early and you never see a planter follow close behind. Learn something every day.

Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 11:24am
Guys are wanting to start planting here May 1 is the target date around here but last week guys were only finding soil temps in the 30's. A few brave souls are putting seed in the ground.

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 1:51pm
I feel your pain Kansas99. I don't know how I ever kept a Wink family feed. LOL

I have had more weather related crop disasters the last 4 or 5 years than all the rest of the time I have farmed. Good thing the kids got their education and moved out. I know many tricks about dry farming and raising a profitable crop without a drop of rain or irrigation. But lately nothing works. Sure is good I married a good wife to take care of me. Her teachers retirement can almost pay for my farming addiction.

Hopefully a bright idea will pop into your head to help with the pile's of straw.

From your comment about 2 inches of the neighbors top soil is in your field, hopefully the notill worked and you still have all of your own as well as his.  

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 3:40pm
     Can't imagine inches of  dirt blown in your storm. Sounds like the dust bowl days. Friend in Pittsburgh and I were talking last night and he thought this was the windiest spring he remembers and he is 80+ yrs. Nothing here like your wind though Kansas. Hope you have some calmer weather.

Posted By: FloydKS
Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 9:47pm
More wind in last 24 hours and got an inch of rain... so maybe soaked in some.

-------------
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die

Date Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:47am
Well, we got around .30  yesterday, so hopefully that primes the pump and we have another good chance Wed.

Ray, the biggest problem we're up against is the grass issue for cattle, we really need some rain to get it growing, hardly any cattle been moved to grass.  Actually the winter wheat is holding in somewhat if its not continious or planted behind a fall crop, as that wheat is pretty much burned up, however the cool spring has helped the rest of the wheat hang on a long time, if it would rain we'll have some wheat, not good but at least a crop.  We need more than .30 but at least it's a start.

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Date Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:50am

Funny how things are done different in different areas. We put some 28 on with the planter but you want to be carefully not to get too much too close to the seed. In our clay soils it can hurt germination and kill small sprouts if the weather goes against you. I thought it would be worse with anhydrous that's why they knife it in early and you never see a planter follow close behind. Learn something every day.

Yes we can get nitrogen burn out here too, although I've never seen it putting the nitrogen 2 inches off to the side of the plant.  I actually started pulling up to half of my nh3 with the planter on irrigation for that reason.  I used to knife on 100% in feb-mar and back in 2011-12 when it was real dry it burned up the corn in places where the plant was growing over the knife, you could see the waves in the field from the direction it was fertilized.  Had a flood irrigated field that I had to destroy as it was from 2inches tall to 2ft tall and couldn't furrow it without cover up half the corn.   The worst I have seen was strip tilled ground that the nitrogen wasn't over 6 inches below the seed, it burned the whole field.  I think it must be that original root that goes down that causes the burn because you don't see it with the fertilizer to the side, although maybe if you put enough on you could see it their too.

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Date Posted: 24 May 2022 at 8:39am
Just ran across this from Andover. 

As good of tornado footage that I've seen, luckily this was a small tornado but some really good videos. 7 mins worth.

http://www.facebook.com/reedtimmer2.0/videos/405212574784766/" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/reedtimmer2.0/videos/405212574784766/

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:37am
That is one nasty storm there.Glad you had minimal damage from the wind but the crop loss is still tough. Back in the late 90's I spent the month of October in Salina and the wind blew just about every day but nothing like what you had. Thankfully there were no tornadoes.

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Date Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:08am
Are you getting enough moisture to grow anything there? I saw on the weekend farm report the wheat is burned up out there.

Date Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:14am

Are you getting enough moisture to grow anything there? I saw on the weekend farm report the wheat is burned up out there.

Dan, we've had a few 20-30 hundredths showers the last month that kept the fallow wheat going, although it's only about a foot tall it was hanging in pretty good, however the continuous and double crop wheat is pretty much burned up, I don't have anything other than fallow wheat, so I'm lucky there.   The good news is it started raining light yesterday through today with as much as 1.5-2 inches with little to no runoff and more to come.  So I have high hopes we will get a decent wheat crop if we can keep the weeds from taking it over because it's short and thin and by decent I mean good enough to cut but below average maybe 30-40 bu/a.  However the rain is too late for the wheat that wasn't planted in fallow ground.  If we can get a 30-40 bu crop out before weeds take over with the price right now we'll recover our money and maybe make a little but the inputs going into the next crop our pretty scary on a low grossing crop like wheat.

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net