Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=187828
Printed Date: 27 Sep 2024 at 6:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My new combines
Posted By: F150Mustang
Subject: My new combines
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 2:12pm
Ive been a lont time reader, never posted so now i have a good reason to.

The other day i had dropped off a burn permit and headed north to go to a dealer and pick up some filters when i crested a small hill and there on the side of the road was a 90 and 72 all crop combine!  Now, ive been wanting a 72 combine for about as long as i can remember, so i swung around and checked them out.  The 72 had nice bright paint and looked about as good as any i had seen, the clean grain chain was in the tool box and the buckets are in poor shape.    The 90 was a bit more faded and the upper sieve had broke and got snagged on the chain, its missing the sickle and clean grain elevator chain also.  
When i called, the owner came out of the house and told me the price, shocked at what he said, i bought them both!!  I Certainly wasn't expecting to find those machines 8 miles from home.   The 72 was likely bought new by the family selling it, the 90 was bought years ago but they couldn't remember when.     
Both combines have the 3/8" lower sieve in them, which will work good this year as i have soybeans on the home farm.  Would like to find the wheat sieves for them.  Does anyone know are the finishing  sieves the same for a 72 and 90?  Through my collecting over the year i have manuals for 60's and the 90.  

I do know where there is a junk 90 parked in the woods, after a storm, alot of trees fell on it but i think i can gets some parts off it.  Im waiting to hear back from him.  

Yet another story, years ago i was given a 66 "was running when parked" situation.  Young and dumb i drug it home.  I started looking into it and everything on the bottom side was rusted out.  Head was twisted, clean grain elevator was bent, chain was missing( this must be normal???), basically a pile of junk.  Was able to save 1 scour clean screen and the straw spreader from it.  

My other AC equipment includes a 1935 WC bought used by my grandpa, a #33 long hopper silage blower bought new by my grandpa,  a Allis 2-12 pull type plow (works great with the WC), and a pull type forage harvester, the cut and throw type with all 3 heads.  

Now the million dollar question, that has prob been asked a billion times on here, how do i post pics of my finds??

Replies:
Posted By: F150Mustang
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 2:18pm

Posted By: DanWi
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 2:38pm
Probably should start looking for a couple D series to pull them maybe a 17 and a 19.😉

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:14pm
welcome to the forum. Nice finds.

Posted By: JoeO(CMO)
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:56am
Nice find!!

I am thinking of selling my D15 II.

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 8:02am
Congratulations on a great find and welcome to the forum!

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 8:19am
Them are a couple of sweet finds. Guy on the forum here named Creston will go nuts over them!!
Darrel

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 9:12am
Well Darrel, they are nice looking machines!
To answer his question, the sieves are not interchangeable. I’ve heard that 90s are bad about breaking that grain drag chain, causing it to ball up, but as long as it’s kept properly tensioned, I don’t think it will be an issue once you get it fixed.
I like the straw spreader, and it looks like you have all the mounting parts. I have one on both of my 60As and really like them. Simple and do a good job spreading evenly.

Posted By: FloydKS
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 9:33am
I guess congratualations are in order ... for the great find

-------------
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die

Posted By: JohnColo
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 5:21pm
I think you did good!  As far as posting pictures, at least you got them on the forum, even if we do have to turn our computers sideways, ya got me beat.

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 5:29pm
That's exciting. I alwasy thoguht those al-crops were just the coolest thing ever and they look to be pretty nice ones too.

Posted By: Darwin W. Kurtz
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:55pm
Nice looking finds

Posted By: GM Guy
Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 10:46am
Congrats, going off the "shocking price" statement, it sounds like it was scrap price, and its awesome that you got to them before the scrappers did.

I am not a fan of scrappers. :)

-------------
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 6:45pm
Glad you got those 'bines. Looks like you will enjoy them.

Posted By: MI_Jeff
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 9:47am
Congratulations. It's great to find those models still in working condition. I am buying a 90 in good working condition that I found a few miles from me; was used two years ago to harvest wheat. Always stored under roof, and hoping to put it to work next year on some winter and spring wheat.

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:40pm
Glad I’m not the only one having trouble with their pictures post sideways. Still can’t figure out the problem. Nice finds, nice condition.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Posted By: MI_Jeff
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 7:29am
Have you had any success in finding screens for your 90?

Posted By: captaindana
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 7:38am
I’ve got 25 years in my former life running a mint 72. Loved that machine! But I don’t miss the itching! 🤭

-------------
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana

Posted By: Travis2766
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:59am
Nice finds, always good to see that they are being saved and not hauled off for scrap.

-------------
190XT Series III, D17 Series IV, D15 Series II, All Crop 66 and a whole mess of equipment.

Posted By: combinechris
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 4:43pm
The 90 and 72 screens won't interchange with each other but the 72 is interchangeable with the 60 & 66. It's an easy fix on your 90 if you have the time and you must keep the tension on the chain to keep it from breaking and wreaking anything. Watch the wooden chain guides as well.

-------------
35 combines and 15 forage harvesters. mostly allis combines and equipment.WTB 2 row cornhead for a 90

Posted By: Darwin W. Kurtz
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 5:12pm
nice machines, I too am glad you saved those from the scrappers

Posted By: JimIA
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 10:02pm
Very nice!

Congratulations on a nice buy!

If you are near northeast Iowa I have a couple 90s that I am hoping to haul off for scrap soon if you need any parts.

Jim

-------------
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth

Posted By: Kenny L.
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 7:53am
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

Very nice!

Congratulations on a nice buy!

If you are near northeast Iowa I have a couple 90s that I am hoping to haul off for scrap soon if you need any parts.

Jim

He not that far he's south of the twin cites.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net