Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=186501
Printed Date: 27 Jun 2024 at 10:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wiring a GM alternator
Posted By: Thad in AR.
Subject: Wiring a GM alternator
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 6:19am
The backhoe I bought has a GM alternator.
It isn’t charging.
I plan to rewire everything.
It still has the voltage reg and wiring from it and the new spliced wiring for the alternator.
Mice have had their way as well.
Steve I’ll. Helped me wire the last one with a good diagram.
I used a marker light from the parts store in the system.
I’m seeing neat little round LED indicator lights for sale.
Will one of these work.
Would it hold up in the elements?
I’m trying to keep this neat.

Replies:
Posted By: im4racin
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 6:28am
A led wont work for the indicator light in that circuit. You could use a single wire alt from Napa. 213-4011sw. They only need the heavy charge wire.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 6:45am
Originally posted by im4racin im4racin wrote:

A led wont work for the indicator light in that circuit. You could use a single wire alt from Napa. 213-4011sw. They only need the heavy charge wire.

Thank you. I wondered if LED would work or not?
If it turns out this alternator doesn’t work I may do that.
I think I’ll pull it and have it tester first thing.

Posted By: Codger
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 6:56am
Probably a 10DN series alternator. As suggested replace with a 10SI, (Systems Integrated)  internally regulated type and do away with the external regulator circuitry. Later models are one wire only and utilize self excitation to vary field current. Check for "cut in" rpm as I've seen many not start charging till the engine is revved far too high for my liking. They are fine once the exciter circuit is enabled. 

If you have an ammeter you will be set and if not, one can be incorporated easily enough.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Probably a 10DN series alternator. As suggested replace with a 10SI, (Systems Integrated)  internally regulated type and do away with the external regulator circuitry. Later models are one wire only and utilize self excitation to vary field current. Check for "cut in" rpm as I've seen many not start charging till the engine is revved far too high for my liking. They are fine once the exciter circuit is enabled. 

If you have an ammeter you will be set and if not, one can be incorporated easily enough.

It has a 10si now. It is not charging. The wiring is a mess as it still has the old original external regulator and wiring.
I’m gonna remove it all and start from scratch.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:34am
Can use a power wire from Alt to Starter Hot post with either a 60a Fuse Link or a high rate slow blow fuse in the line.  Check to make certain has power to back of Alternator at the single stud.  

If is on a Allis make certain is a Proper to the Alternator Ground(NOT Pos Ground unless marked such).  Tractor can be swapped to N Ground easily.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:50am
Thad , the 40 year old alternators had an external regulator... Before 1980, GM switched to the 10SI with INTERNAL regulator. That was the industry standard for years.. About 2000 they came up with the CS130 ( smaller) alternators, then later came up with the "MINI" which is very popular now.. Almost everything built after 1990 has an internal regulator.......... You can get a new "MINI" with 3 wire or single wire feed.... Just might need to modify the MOUNT......... (Personally, i have been using the CS130 alternators for 15 years on ALL tractors).

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:50am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Can use a power wire from Alt to Starter Hot post with either a 60a Fuse Link or a high rate slow blow fuse in the line.  Check to make certain has power to back of Alternator at the single stud.  

If is on a Allis make certain is a Proper to the Alternator Ground(NOT Pos Ground unless marked such).  Tractor can be swapped to N Ground easily.

Yes it’s already swapped to negative ground. I haven’t tested any wires yet. I’ll get to it this weekend.
Thank you

Posted By: CentralMNCA
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:53am
I have a CA Allis that I am installing a CS130 alternator , I do not want the one wire system, so if LED light will not work, so just purchase any filiment type light, will that work for indicator light ?

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:54am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Thad , the 40 year old alternators had an external regulator... Before 1980, GM switched to the 10SI with INTERNAL regulator. That was the industry standard for years.. About 2000 they came up with the CS130 ( smaller) alternators, then later came up with the "MINI" which is very popular now.. Almost everything built after 1990 has an internal regulator.......... You can get a new "MINI" with 3 wire or single wire feed.... Just might need to modify the MOUNT.

Yes. This one started out as an externally regulated generator. It now has a 10sI internal regulated.
The external regulator and wiring is still there with bare wires,splices and who knows what?
I just need to remove it all and start over.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:59am
Here is the "ONE WIRE" the guys are talking about... Just GUT everything and one 1 wire to the POSITIVE battery wire.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:02am
Mel, i use the 3 wire CS130  alternators on my tractors. The "light bulb" goes in the SIGNAL WIRE to drop voltage slightly and make the alternator start to charge. Instead of a BULB, i use a 100 ohm resistor. These are about 1/2 inch square and 3 inches long with a wire out each end.... I bought several at Radio Shack 15 years ago about $1. each.....When i used the 10SI alternators, i used a 10 OHM resistor.

this is the diagram i use... I have a double poles switch to turn the alternator ON and UNGROUND the MAG at the same time... If you have a COIL, you want to turn the ignition OFF and the alternator OFF at the same time.. same switch..

-------------

Posted By: CentralMNCA
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:26am
Steve-   thanx for the great info, wonderful to have a person like yourself, I will be using this for  wiring project

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:27am
Years ago i got a drawing from the DELCO BOOK on test procedures for the CS130 alternator............. this is how i came up with the "100 ohm" resistor value.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:33am
100 OHM, 10 WATT resistor ....

-------------

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:36am
this !!!
Yes it’s already swapped to positive ground

TO---> positive ground ?????

NO,NO,No !!!

BIG problem there..
99.44% of ALL alternators are NEGATIVE ground

Be 100% sure the -ve of battery is grounded.
Please report back once you've confirmed

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 10:08am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

this !!!
Yes it’s already swapped to positive ground

TO---> positive ground ?????

NO,NO,No !!!

BIG problem there..
99.44% of ALL alternators are NEGATIVE ground

Be 100% sure the -ve of battery is grounded.
Please report back once you've confirmed

Was in a hurry Jay.
I fixed it.
Yes it’s negative ground

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 10:14am
I have all the 10SI alternators I use on equipment just wired with jumper from battery wire to the one terminal . Was wondering WHY a resistor is needed in that jumper wire ? 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

I have all the 10SI alternators I use on equipment just wired with jumper from battery wire to the one terminal . Was wondering WHY a resistor is needed in that jumper wire ? 

I thought it would drain the battery while sitting???

Posted By: Kansas99
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

I thought it would drain the battery while sitting???

Thumbs Up

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Posted By: Kansas99
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 11:55am

Here is the "ONE WIRE" the guys are talking about... Just GUT everything and one 1 wire to the POSITIVE battery wire.

Thinking of tossing one of these on 185 and be done.  Simple like trucks ran for years just less amp and money.

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 12:01pm
re: Yes it’s negative ground

whew !! Knowing that some old tractors were +ve ground, this had me concerned as it could explain the 'dead' alternator....

the resistor (or idiot light, or switch) is used to 'sense' power needed. I like the idiot light as  it'll come on, with engine off...turn off while charging AND if the fanbelt breaks it lights up !

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 12:31pm

Coke... there are two SMALL terminals on the 10SI...  #1 and #2.. AS you said, the #2 has a short jumper wire on it that is just connected to the BATT (BIG) terminal on the back of the alternator.... You "NORMALLY" need a signal wire to the #1 terminal to EXCITE the alternator and get it to charge... Your SIGNAL should be slightly less than the 12 volt battery wire, so a 10 OHM, 10 watt resistor is put in the line... also need a SWITCH to turn that wire OFF when not running.... I dont know how you got the alternator to TURN ON without the signal..... There are some "ONE WIRE" 10SI alternators available that dont need the signal.

-------------

Posted By: ACinSC
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 12:40pm
Not trying to hi-jack this thread , but my D 15 alt is a Delco Remy 1103103 63 A 9J18 12V NEG . Don't see 10DN or 10SI anywhere , unless it's on the bottom ? Just curious , Thanks !

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 12:59pm
AC... that is a 10SI alternator that puts out 63 amps ... and probably built 30 years ago... There were several "updates" after that to increase the amp output... Same basic alternator with INTERNAL REG.

-------------

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 12:59pm
If you bore the old generator pulley to fit alt. it takes less rpm to get charging.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 1:31pm
the 10Si internal diodes keep the flow from grounding out , the jumper wire without resistor will sense voltage from bat to that terminal and internals of regulator will turn on alternator . 
 I have been running a 10SI on my HD5G for 20 years or longer , and the alternator on my 715B is wired the same except for tachometer it has a separate tab to power the tach .
 On my White Super Mustang dump truck also ditched the 35A Leis Nevil alternator with + ground and changed to 10SI using the same setup of single wire with no resistor . 
 On the HD5 - 2-71 the RPM is low so need to throttle up to get it to cycle into charge mode after starting but it will cut back and regulate fine after that initial switching on at higher RPM  

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 1:35pm
The 10SI shaft diameter is the same as the generator pulley shaft diameter so it swaps right on . pulley OD is where it becomes a little more of a problem depending on belt width . I found a pulley from GM truck alternator that was cast then machined it down to accept the B width belt for HD5 and also machined one for the White engine belt as that was wider .

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 1:52pm
I've done that with the 10SI series for well over 20 years myself. Easy way to tell if the fields are energized or not is to simply see if a bolt or something steel will stick to the back of the alternator case near the rear bearing. If not, it's not going to discharge anything. If the alternator is charging, the bolt will firmly anchor itself to the case.

Jumpering from the the B+ terminal on the back to the rt. terminal, (looking from rear) will turn the alternator on but the engine rpm and internal voltage usually need raised to forward bias the internal diodes to conduction. The left terminal is only there to assure conduction starts at low engine idle speed, (IMO).

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 2:06pm
Thanks ! I assume this is a 3 wire alt but it only has 2 wires hooked up . Bigger wire goes to BAT (battery) and other wire is plugged into #1 . It does keep the battery charged but the amp needle ticks like a clock . I tried hooking another ground to the alt but got no results . Thanks again !

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 2:28pm
You probably have a bad rectifier in the alternator precluding full wave rectification on all three phases generated. The "pulsing" you see in the indication is evidence of that. There is an AC component riding DC level.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 3:37pm
Rob , are you saying I need another alt ? If so , what vehicle does my old on fit ? Thanks !

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 3:45pm
AC... i dont know what your #1 terminal is connected to.. If that is your SIGNAL, then you might just put a jumper from #2 to the BIG battery lug/ cable on the back of the alternator........ as in the drawing above.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 3:51pm
Codger, if you have power on the #1 terminal, i thought the battery would drain when the tractor was off ?  Thats why you use a switch or diode in most of the drawings ?

I have never tried what you saying, but i take your word for it that it works. .... but i cant explain why the battery dont drain ?............ if the charge rate is well regulated and your battery life is acceptable, then you have SUCCESS !

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 4:29pm
I had been told many years ago the battery would drain also but it's just not been my experience. Without alternator rotation, there is not enough forward bias, (voltage) on the cathodes of the rectifier diodes to turn them on so they are an open in the system electrically. Again this can be proven with a bolt against the rear of the case. Also with an ammeter inserted in series between the B+ terminal on the alternator case, and the wire itself. I do not prefer inductive clamp on meters to measure DC current in low levels and always go in series to measure DC current.

It takes much less current to keep a circuit energized than to initially power it on. This is why one has to increase the engine rpm to raise the internal voltage and field excitation current to bring the system to a "charging" state. The engine rpm can then be reduced and the system remains operational supplying operating current.

Again my thoughts on the open terminal are it's there to provide an initial surge of voltage at very low engine rpm to get the alternator into it's charging state as soon as the engine starts.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 4:37pm
No. I would order a diode bridge for your alternator and replace only that. The alternator comes right apart with four machine screws and the rectifier bridge is fastened into the rear end bell. Books for the procedure are easily obtained and most any service manual will show the process. If you only have a blown diode and the unit otherwise works well, it's worth working with. Might also install a set of brushes and clean up the slip rings while in there.

Once off the engine give the unit a simple rotation test listening and feeling for bearing noise, binding, or unnecessary effort to spin it over as they should turn easily. Only the brushes are riding on the slip rings and of course the rotor in it's bearings is the only resistance. Give the bearings some fresh grease when putting it back together.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:43pm

I know lots of folks use the ONE wire alternators, but I don't like em as most of them have to rev engine up too high to start the exitation for it to start charging. Just my choice. 
 That;s a good dwg Steve has posted, nice and simple. I like to use a universal 3 position ignition switch ( OFF-ON-Start) on everything,,remembering that for a backhoe/loader you prolly ain't ever gonna need headlights, tail lights or signal lights,,but ain't difficult to add on with a simple On-Off toggle switch.
 I cut all the hundred year old wiring out and re-wired with a universal ignition keyed switch and the simplist writing set up you ever seen,,,but it starts every time,,,,,ClapClap

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:20pm
'ticking' might also mean there's corrosion or 'bridging' in the alternator. Something like  a buildup of dust,mud,salty water. Used to get alternator 'problems' after going offroad in my CJ-5. 'Cure' was to CLEAN the muck out of the alternator,dry it off real good.
May not be your ticking cause...just one I found out decades ago..

DJ's right, get rid of 100% of the old wiring ! You could have 2 krappy old wire, chewed insulation, funky grounding...... always best to start clean...

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 2:45am
Yes, conductive "tracing" has always been a problem in mobile equipment alternators due to the varying and sometimes harsh environment these units live in. That alternator could also have a filter capacitor having changed value, or opened up. I've seen this cause radio interference and gauges to act erratically in the past.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm doing the same with my 11B dozer. It currently has a 20amp "DN" series alternator, and I've purchased a 60amp 20SI series to replace it. Both use the SAE J180 mount so will be a slip fit. I'm also going to do away with the current wiring loom and external regulator citing age. Although it is a 24V system, the theory is the same.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 7:16am
Thanks guys , I'll try the jumper wire Steve suggested and see what happens

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 1:19pm
Can I use a volt meter. Can’t find a amp meter locally

Posted By: Jim.ME
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 1:30pm
A voltmeter will work fine. A voltmeter does not use the heavy wire from the alternator output terminal run to it as charge/discharge currents do not pass through a voltmeter as they did the original ammeter.  One terminal of it will get power from your ignition switch (you want it to be off when the switch is off) and the other terminal will need a ground wire.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Jim.ME Jim.ME wrote:

A voltmeter will work fine. A voltmeter does not use the heavy wire from the alternator output terminal run to it as charge/discharge currents do not pass through a voltmeter as they did the original ammeter.  One terminal of it will get power from your ignition switch (you want it to be off when the switch is off) and the other terminal will need a ground wire.

Thank you sir

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 2:48pm
If you jumper the B+ terminal to the rt terminal and start the engine, rev it up, then place your voltmeter +, (positive) lead on the B+ terminal, and the -, (negative) lead to the alternator case you will get a reading. If it is 13.5VDC to 14.5VDC the alternator is charging the battery fine. Shut the engine down and recheck again and you should have between 12.2VDC, and 12.8VDC with no load on the system. This is static battery voltage in an unpowered state. A typical multimeter will not handle the current the alternator is capable of producing and they are usually limited to 10A. Unless a higher end multimeter, this portion is unfused.

This is of course assuming you do not have an installed ammeter in the dashboard panel. If so just look to see if that indicates a charge condition after you install the jumper wire.....

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 3:06pm
Thanks Rob, I do have a newish gauge. Changed it out to see if the old gauge was causing the ticking needle . Thanks again!

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 5:18pm
As Jim and Rob said... the ammeter goes IN THE CIRCUIT... the volt meter goes AROUND the circuit.... like below.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 6:24pm
Got it all hooked up and ran the one terminal to an idiot light.
It charges too much.
It’s got the volt meter in the red. Alternator is noisy/clicking and the light stays off even when it’s shut off.
I don’t think I have the light wired correctly.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 6:36pm
How did you wire the alternator?

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 6:40pm
Thad... remind us... you are using a 10 SI alternator, and have the #2 small terminal connected to the BAT terminal on the back of the alternator.. and you put a LIGHT BULB on the #1 terminal feed by 12v from ignition switch ??

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 7:06pm
Yes Steve I believe I have number 2 to the big battery lug. Then number 1 goes straight to a little light which is grounded through the housing.
The light is always on. Switch on or off. Running or not.
Am I supposed to supply 12 volt to that wire?

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 7:17pm
oopsy !
Then number 1 goes straight to a little light which is grounded through the housing. !!!
OOPSY !!!

One end of the light goes to the #1 tab of the alternator, the other end  goes to the switched side of the ignition switch ( same as the 10 ohm, 10 watt resistor in the drawing just above.....)

The light has to be 'floating' NOT grounded. Typically the light will be a plastic shell, with 2 black wires coming out of it. The  'nice' ones FIT into the lower ,left hole  of a D-14 dash..which for the life of me can't member what it's really for....

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 7:21pm
right... power comes FROM the ignition switch ( 12v) thru the light and to TERMINAL #1...the light has NO GROUND.... When you shut off the IGNITION there is no power to the light.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 7:52pm
Steve at B&B can likely fix you up with a plug in connector for your alternator with a diode in the switch wire that goes to the # 1 terminal and a ring terminal on the # 2 terminal wire to go to the battery output terminal. No indicator light will be needed, just use the voltmeter.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 9:10pm

Steve at B&B can likely fix you up with a plug in connector for your alternator with a diode in the switch wire that goes to the # 1 terminal and a ring terminal on the # 2 terminal wire to go to the battery output terminal. No indicator light will be needed, just use the voltmeter.

I think I’ll get ahold oh him and do just that.👍

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 9:11pm
If I get this ironed out will it quit over charging?

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 9:27pm
Once you have the wiring straight with clean, tight connections (including both ends of the battery cables) it should stop overcharging.  If it doesn't, it is possible you could have a bad regulator in the alternator.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 4:50am
Found the overcharging issue.
I rolled the alternator back to install the belt. Actually a few times.
The Flat terminal from number 2 armed against number one. I assume I smoked the regulator.
What else may it have ruined?
Brand new alternator. Not happy with me.
Will have an alternator plug when I reinstall the alternator.
I also have the exciter wire figured out. I need a neat little incandescent light.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 6:11am
Have you tried it since you fixed the terminals from touching?  It might work, if you didn't.  if you are going with the indicator light, the diode is not needed.  You can get the plain 2 wire flat replacement plug for a 10SI alternator at most parts stores.  Dorman 85841, or at NAPA try Echlin VRC148 or NW78105 the plug/pigtail, that might help get one at a local parts store.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 6:43am

Have you tried it since you fixed the terminals from touching?  It might work, if you didn't.  if you are going with the indicator light, the diode is not needed.  You can get the plain 2 wire flat replacement plug for a 10SI alternator at most parts stores.  Dorman 85841, or at NAPA try Echlin VRC148 or NW78105 the plug/pigtail, that might help get one at a local parts store.

Yes I’ve tried it. It’s putting out 16 or more volts. The volt meter goes to 16 and it’s in the red.
I’ll try it today with a portable meter.
I assume I fried the voltage regulator or worse.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 6:02pm
Tried it again today. Same results.
Also when I shut it off the light goes out for a second then comes back on.
I had an old alternator in the shop. I was gonna rob the voltage regulator from but they’re different.
I cleaned the old one up made sure brushes floated and cleaned the slip rings.
Put it on and everything works as it should. It’s putting out 14.71 to 14.73 volts.
I hope this is ok.
The light goes out when I shut it off now.
Thanks for the help guys.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 6:17pm
Very good.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 6:00am
One final question.
Will this always show to be charging 14 plus volts on the volt meter or will it kick off when at full charge?
I haven’t seen it change yet. The battery is old and not super strong.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 6:20am
charge 'rate' depends on battery 'condition'
Normally just after starting ammeter will swing up to say 30 amps, then slowly move down to just above zero over a few minutes. It all depends on several factors but that's the  gist of it.
IE: '30' isn't a hard and fast number. A more powerful alternator can supply more amps,  a good battery doesn't need many to 'top up', RPM is a factor, slow=less amps, fast =more(but  limited),air temp, cold is bad for batteries,warm is nice,wiring is a BIG factor,clean new cables are BEST,old,corroded bodged are bad.

You should run the tractor, 'high idle' for at least 10-15 minutes to get a good recharge of the battery,especially in winter.

-------------

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 6:38am
Yeah, but Thad is asking about a volt meter, not an ammeter. (why don't they call it an ampmeter??)  

A volt meter should be reading after the regulator, so yes, it will show your 14+ volts when everything is working correctly.  

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 6:46am
hmm, somehow I thought it was all back to 'original'....
ok, voltmeter... will read '12" with key on, engine off... '14' while charging',,lil less when done for the day... maybe '10' while starting

why the spelling ??? cause he guy who created the name, had just drunk 5 beers and had to go take a 'p'........LOL

-------------

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 6:49am
LOL

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 7:40am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

hmm, somehow I thought it was all back to 'original'....
ok, voltmeter... will read '12" with key on, engine off... '14' while charging',,lil less when done for the day... maybe '10' while starting

why the spelling ??? cause he guy who created the name, had just drunk 5 beers and had to go take a 'p'........LOL

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 5:29pm
Here we go again.
The old alternator quit.
I took the other to Napa. He says it’s a one wire. Looks same as others and has the two flat terminals. He says don’t use the light or exciter wire.
I hooked it up and it seems to be charging.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 7:11pm
interesting.. I wonder if all 'one wire' alternators have the 2 lat terminals or do 'they' put a 'blank plate' in that spot ??

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 7:19pm
Most I've seen have a black plastic "blanking plate" as you mention. It easily removes however. 

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 7:51pm

Most I've seen have a black plastic "blanking plate" as you mention. It easily removes however. 

Now I really feel stupid.
This had a little black plug.
I just thought it was for packing/ shipping.
They put my old one in the box and kept paperwork.
I had no idea it was a one wire.
Old one was not.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Now I really feel stupid.
This had a little black plug.
I just thought it was for packing/ shipping.
They put my old one in the box and kept paperwork.
I had no idea it was a one wire.
Old one was not.

No need. We learn and that's the important part. 

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 8:54pm
so....
a 1 wire unit HAS those 2 tabs ??
That's crazy,hopefully '1' and '2' are NOT connected inside somewhere....

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:04pm
Well, they screwed up if you NEEDED a 3 wire and they sold you a 1 wire without telling you... Worked out for you.... but how about the guy with the old car that needed ORIGINAL ?

YEA... i have seen the "PLUG" on the 1 wire alternators.. BUTT... should be marked on the alter or the BOX !

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 5:06am

Well, they screwed up if you NEEDED a 3 wire and they sold you a 1 wire without telling you... Worked out for you.... but how about the guy with the old car that needed ORIGINAL ?

YEA... i have seen the "PLUG" on the 1 wire alternators.. BUTT... should be marked on the alter or the BOX !

Steve I’m sure it was marked on the box. But we just dropped my core in it and I took just the new alternator.
So I don’t know if it’s screwed up or not. It’s charging like it’s supposed to but it has the jumper from 2 to the big battery lug.?
I have no idea how the regulator senses voltage to shut it off?
This isn’t what I asked for.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 6:02am
re: This isn’t what I asked for.
Perfect reason to take it back and get what YOU wanted.
It , THEY sold you the wrong alternator doesn't matter that is 'works', They're fault, THEY should exchange for the CORRECT one.

I know they'll say 'sorry, it's electrical..no refunds/exchanges'......BS....

If they pull that
 say ..
well.. if you'd gone to a Chevy dealer said you wanted  a 'vette, paid ,then it was delivered to your place, you'ld be happy that it's a CHEvette  and not the CORvette you 'expected' and needed and wanted ???

bottom line ...1 wire alternator is NOT the 'SAME' as a 3 wire, not what you want,need or ordered.....

BTW, it senses internally which isn't perfect  as it can't compensate for battery lead losses.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 8:46am
Thad.. instead of taking it back, i would at least stop by the store and describe the situation and see if they sell BOTH, or what they expect people to do ?  They might suggest you bring it back... they might also just stare at you with a blank look on their face ?  I would at least bring it to their attention.

It appears what you have now is what Codger has been saying... The #2 wire is HOT as jumpered to the BAT lug on the back.. I still dont understand how it does that without the "signal" #1 wire, but apparently it does... Wiring on these must be slightly different INTERNAL than the originals in 1970.

-------------

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 10:05am
The 10SI with it's internal regulator was quite a cool 'gadget' when it came out.

The engineers who did the regulator's solid-state design started with a very blank slate.  They had a rotating armature with slip rings, and a field, just like any other alternator.  They knew that they could regulate current through the field to control output voltage on the surrounding windings.

They knew that the surrounding windings' voltage presented a perfect signal to use as feedback to control the field.

They knew that the case would be aluminum, and there'd be a fan to force airflow, so they could mount a solid-state regulator directly TO the frame, integrated in, it would perform as an excellent heat-sink.

They made the regulator to read internally, and sink heat through that frame.

They also knew that, since the armature would be ferrous, it would develop a little bit of magnetic 'memory'... as generator guys say "Residual Magnetism".

When you spin a coil within a magnetic field, or you spin a magnetic field within reach of a coil, The coil presents voltage, and if there's a place for that voltage to flow, it develops current.

They knew that, as long as the armature had residual voltage, it would develop enough voltage to flow current, which the regulator could divert into the field, to develop a stronger current, which would create a stronger field, thus yielding a 'self-exciting' alternator.

The only circumstance they could NOT accomplish, is developing residual magnetism in that armature, if there was none to begin with... and since some machines and vehicles sit for long periods of time, an external source for a little 'seed' current to wake it up is necessary.  Remember how we gotta 'flash' the field on our generators?  Same deal, different meal.

This is no different from externally-regulated alternators and generators, and in those earlier systems, engineers decided that using a small light bulb between the field and battery would 'force' the field into action when starting the engine.  Once spun up and generating, the regulator would be pushing current directly into the windings, and in doing so, the lamp would not illuminate (because voltage on the field is now equal to, or higher than the battery's voltage, right?)

The cool side-effect, is that if the alternator stopped alternating (a broken belt, for instance) that light would illuminate, because the field current would no longer be internally-generated.

When the Delco guys developed the 10SI, they wanted to make it absolutely foolproof (which isn't possible, because the only thing that develops faster than technology, is foolishness), so they settled for ALMOST foolproof.  They added that lamp 1) so that people now accomplished into expecting idiot lights would be satisfied and 2) in the event that someone doesn't drive their car for a week or so, it'd still wake up and operate.  As a result of the 'always had a BATT Light', Delco's engineers made the SI's regulator WITHOUT the internal connection for self-excitation.  The alternator would do it ANYWAY, if spun up fast enough... and nobody knew the difference.

SO, you can put a one-wire alternator on just about anything... as long as you spin one FAST ENOUGH, they'll self-excite without that lamp.

IF you have a low-output version, they'll self excite without any fuss.  My D17's 10SI is wound in series, with extra turns on both field and armature, and it wakes right up on every start, even if the throttle is at dead-idle... but due to the windings' added turns and smaller wire, it doesn't knock out much more than about 27A.  Since I use the tractor for a few hours every week, and I'm not running a thump-beat stereo (there's 2 medium floodlamps and 2 small LED taillamps, and an ignition coil), that battery is ALWAYS good, even if it's at dead-idle speed.

If I were to put a 55A unit on it, I'd start having problems... because 1) it wouldn't self excite until throttling it up a bit and 2) I'd be running it too slow to really do well.

IF I put the high-snot 100A on it, it simply wouldn't do the job... it might self-excite, but to get that kind of output, they have to wire the stator up for parallel (delta) rather than series (wye), so it takes even MORE spin to get above 14v on the output.  Since I use this tractor for creeping trailers around, toting pallets on forks, I rarely run it up past 2/3rds governed limit, when I do, it's because I'm running 4 miles down the hill to help my Dad, mebbie I make that run twice a year... it would simply NEVER charge it's battery.

You COULD run that alternator in one-wire.  On the original 10SI, there were SOME regulators that didn't have the internal connection to self-excite... but it didn't take long for the aftermarket to integrate the internal connection ANYWAY, because a failed BATT lamp would cause the alternator to not operate, thus, drain a battery.

<and the reason for this revelation>
who would'a thought you'd be stranded in the middle of nowhere, with a totally dead battery, because the BATT warning light was burnt out?
<this is why REAL companies pay REAL engineers perform what's called Failure Mode Analysis>

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 10:25am
I have forgotten more than I remember. But I know in the 90's I put  one wire alternators on 3 tractors. All where very bare bones  electric system, all diesels, so no draw but starter or lights. No switches or other devices where needed.

I am remembering buying a 2 wire plug with pig tail and putting both to one wire going to the battery. I know I was amazed at how simple it was. Confused But who knows what I am forgetting. The one that I know still works does have switch.  The crawlers did not but are parked as I do less and less farming.

So give it a little time. Keep a eye on battery condition to see if it is drawing juice when just sitting. You said it was charging when you first put this last alternator on.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

I have forgotten more than I remember. But I know in the 90's I put  one wire alternators on 3 tractors. All where very bare bones  electric system, all diesels, so no draw but starter or lights. No switches or other devices where needed.

I am remembering buying a 2 wire plug with pig tail and putting both to one wire going to the battery. I know I was amazed at how simple it was. Confused But who knows what I am forgetting. The one that I know still works does have switch.  The crawlers did not but are parked as I do less and less farming.

So give it a little time. Keep a eye on battery condition to see if it is drawing juice when just sitting. You said it was charging when you first put this last alternator on.

Yes Ray it instantly starts charging.
I was just afraid I may have ruined it.
I wired it up like a standard alternator and it sounded terrible.
Hooked up one wire it sounds fine.
The guy at Napa said it’s all they had and getting another is hard.
I’m gonna try it for a while and see how it goes.
On the flip side the guys at Napa don’t ask questions on returns.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 2:52am
See if a wrench is attracted to the rear of the alternator case when the engine is not running. If it isn't, there is no battery drain through the alternator. If the wrench is attracted, you need to address this as it will deplete the battery.

Another quick test is to use a non contact thermometer, (or your hands) and look at the alternator temperature when the engine is cold such as sitting overnight. If the alternator is very warm, it is drawing current and that current is from your battery. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net