Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=181980
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 2:48am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: paint/primer questions
Posted By: J&J
Subject: paint/primer questions
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 10:50am
I'm tearing down a CA for restoration. Will be using airplane stripper on the sheet metal. 
The metal may sit for a while until body work/paint, so I want to shoot primer on it right away. I can paint, but don't have much technical knowledge of the process. What type of primer/sealer should I use? I don't know what type of paint I will use as of yet, so will some rattle can primer (eg. rust-oleum) be fine just to cover the metal initially? 

suggestions on primer and paint appreciated
should stripper be used on porous metal? the cast iron parts?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: mdm1
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:45am
Maybe just leave it for now. Since you don't know what you are going to use for finish paint. Primer needs to be compatible with the paint in some cases.

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 12:55pm
i spray or brush RED OXIDE Rustoleum primer on the parts as i clean them-- for storage.

these parts were all painted by brush... then assembled. No need to disassemble to finish spray paint.. primers is in between the bolted faces.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:14pm
i normally spray the cast parts after assembly.. and the sheet metal parts seperate. Like to use acrylic enamel with hardener... It likes the red oxide enamel primer.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: Play Farmer
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 9:22pm
I'm a BIG fan of the self etching primers. I use that as a base then work off of that.

You can buy it in a rattle can and it's about as easy to use as anything you've ever sprayed. Be sure to use a mask though, it's nasty stuff - in a good way.

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 9:42pm
I second the etching primer, it makes a good base and seals the metal.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Posted By: Steve g
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 5:56pm
Years ago WD 45 rims I spent countless hours on them cleaning sandblasting painting Took them to a tire guy to have my tires mounted on them rims they looked good one hour up to his shop and one hour back to the house in a rainstorm. When I got back to the house the rims were already starting to rust through the paint not good. I used rust-oleum primer so I called rust-oleum tech support the bottom line was use rusty metal primer.   So I did use their rusty metal primer and it worked fine from now on any parts that I do will get rust oleum rusty metal primer first coat

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:01pm
Id luv to see the way Allis painted - bet those guys in the paint booth were busy ! What was the process then ? Alot of mine have a yellow primer , then the finished product is great

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:31pm
Lead paint was good stuff, nothing comes close to it today. I still recommend etching primer, has been good to me after 8 years.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net