Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=180688
Printed Date: 30 Sep 2024 at 1:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Worn WD Lower Steering Shaft Support
Posted By: wjohn
Subject: Worn WD Lower Steering Shaft Support
Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:14am
What are folks doing to deal with worn lower steering shaft supports? I am thinking there is not enough material here to re-center/bore out and put a bushing in, like you can do with the support and quadrant on the steering wheel shaft.

I was going to cut off the round portion and weld in a piece of pipe but after I got the pipe cleaned up there's more play than I'm okay with. The ID is a little big. I might try to get a chunk of DOM tubing that would have a tighter ID on that 1" shaft? Any other ideas?

-------------
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45

Replies:
Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 6:35pm
One option may be to get a good used one? I am sure they are out there. Maybe someone is parting out a tractor? I dont think I have a extra but will try to look.
You might find a piece of pipe or tubing and cut the old one off and weld the new one on??
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 6:47pm
They have a grease zerk in them? I wondered what that hole in mine was for.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 6:48pm
The pipe is probabaly 1-1/16 ID if it is a schedule 40 pipe.. You could cut about a 1/8- 3/16 inch slit in the pipe and PINCH it back together for a tighter fit.. Then weld into place.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:37pm
How about cutting out the worn section and weld in a section of pipe to match

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Ha! Might as well have not been there on my tractor since nobody seems to have greased it.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:23pm
I hadn't thought about cutting and pinching the pipe I have, then rewelding. I like that idea. I cut a piece to the right length and planned on welding it in place of the existing support. Then I cleaned up the weld seam inside and test fit it on the shaft, and that's when I discovered that it was still a little too loose for my liking.

I didn't want to cut the existing support yet in case someone has a better way of saving the part, and I didn't have the right ID pipe to weld in place yet... But pinching it down should work.

I have to imagine a lot of these never got greased and are pretty worn? Mine may be worse than most of them, though.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:24pm
I did get a package of new zerks and nuts with matching threads, so I can drill a hole and weld the nut in so the new part will still have a zerk.

-------------

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 5:18am
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Ha! Might as well have not been there on my tractor since nobody seems to have greased it.
I think that zerk got missed on a lot of geasings on many of these tractors. Finding a good used one may be tricky, most are worn pretty bad. At least the ones I've seen.

Posted By: Lon(MN)
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 6:19am
I have a bin full of those that are in better condition and also new shafts. Both wear into each other. Now that your package is on its way. The WC used a solid block.

Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

I have a bin full of those that are in better condition and also new shafts. Both wear into each other. Now that your package is on its way. The WC used a solid block.

That's my fault for not even thinking to ask. Maybe I was wrong in assuming all the used ones are worn. I did weld my shaft up and worked it back to being reasonably round.

-------------

Posted By: JTOOL
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:09am
When installed does the zerk face down? If so, how did it wear like it did?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net