Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=179571
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rebuild of my Allis barge box more pic 9-19
Posted By: Kenny L.
Subject: Rebuild of my Allis barge box more pic 9-19
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:23pm
Done same more work on restoring the barge box, started doing the sanding but didn't think it was turning out right so decide to sandblast it, she went the the weld shop to have a couple cracks taken care off then to the sandblaster. Hope to primer it soon if the weather or the humidity straighten out why to much moisture in the air, fought the moisture last night when finishing up on the old girl. Would like to get it down before harvesting this fall we see what happen. 

Replies:
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:32pm
That is all the pictures the forum will let me post I'll try late to post more of them

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:07am
  It's back together now just have to get it painted and new decals put on.

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:35am
Looks like you've been busy since I was there Thursday!

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 7:11am
Looking good. I’ve never seen one before, really neat wagon. I really like your shop. Look forward to seeing it finished. Are you planning to sand blast it or using flap sanding disk?

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Posted By: Unit3
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:21am
Gleaner missed the boat. They should have made a galvanized box with their name standing proud from the front or long rides of the box like their early combines. I think the oval/diamond panel of the Allis Chalmers boxes are the rarest of rare and way cool. I wish I had a few of them. Truly, a great project you have.

-------------
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C

Posted By: JohnColo
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 10:31pm
Looks like you are making good progress, I like the MM sign on your wall too.  AC's cousin!

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:46pm
Thanks all for the comments.
  Mike after you left went in town pickup the hardware I need and start to work on it and before I know it it was midnight, Friday morning had to go get acetylene and oxygen work on her until 8:30 that night finish it up Saturday morning then put rear brakes in the daughters suv in the afternoon, I wanted to get it this far before I go to work for the neighbor this spring.
  AC I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I don't know about prep work or paint but have talked to some people that do know, what sad I've a nephew that does it for a living but willn't do it for me but will give advise, I've talked to my Napa guy and he told me he can still match the #2 paint but don't know for how long so I need to make up my mind what to do probably will get the paint and if I decide to let someone else do it will have the paint any way.
 Unit3 that would've been way cool if that happen, we need to get together some time bet we're not the far a part I live out side of Winthrop Ia.
 JohnCO The wife family used MM the sign came out of the old dealership in Scotch Grove Ia.    

Posted By: AC7060IL
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 11:26am
KennyL, I’ve enjoyed your barge wagon post. Thanks for sharing photos. Great job on it’s restoration. I see in one photo, a metal Allis-Chalmers ID tag tacked to the end of the wagon floor board. Is that the tag for the barge box? If so, please try posting a clear photo of it - thanks.

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:40pm
i rebuilt a wagon box (not AC) in shop class when in HS. was all wood. i built a platform on the front to stand on to scoup feed off when full. was only used to hold feed in the cattle yard. would have worked well cept i was sick one day of school and the instructor sawed the platform off when i wasn't there! (^#$%@&%*) when i came back and saw that...needless to say...the school paid for more lumber! yours looks great!

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:49pm
how soon can we see it in use

Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 10:04pm
 This has been put on the back burner for now, I was supposed to help a farmer this spring but ended up burning my leg from my ankle to my knee about a week later I messing up my knee from the knee to the upper leg, go for a mri next Tuesday ( getting old sucks), I'm going to try to go to work Monday and see if I can handle it. Adding a picture of the serial number plate.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 12:18am
'

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 5:21pm
Done more work prepping wagon for painting, the only thing left is to finish is the under side of the front of wagon with plastic and one bracket in the rear then it will be ready to go to the painter after labor day. After doing this wagon I don't think I'll
ever do any more it sure take a lot of time and money.Big smile

Posted By: Dan Hauter
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 4:15pm
And on an A-C running gear, too.  Very nice!  Good project, good work.

Posted By: coggonobrien
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 6:29am
Kenny, Oreilly can mix paint as well. I had the marion one mix spray can's of Persian II for the d15's final drives but they can also do regular cans. I believe Independence mixes paint as well.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 7:32am
[QUOTE=coggonobrien]Kenny, Oreilly can mix paint as well. I had the marion one mix spray can's of Persian II for the d15's final drives but they can also do regular cans. I believe Independence mixes paint as well.
 David I got my paint from Napa in Independence, I think Mark does a good job of matching PO#2 I guess I well find out in couple of weeks. I just painted the rims this morning at 3:00 I went with cream color may change it to a light cream going to wait until it's completely dry to decide for sure.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 8:37pm

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:57am
Kenny L, Yes, you’ve done alot of work to your AC barge wagon. It’s looking great. Going be awesome when it’s finished. An AC barge, AC hoist, & AC gear - that’s quite the combination. Nice cream paint on its rims. 14 or 15” rims? AC 701 gear - right? Thanks for posting updates.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Kenny L, Yes, you’ve done alot of work to your AC barge wagon. It’s looking great. Going be awesome when it’s finished. An AC barge, AC hoist, & AC gear - that’s quite the combination. Nice cream paint on its rims. 14 or 15” rims? AC 701 gear - right? Thanks for posting updates.

AC7060, The rims are 14" and yes the gear is a 701, Ryan Franzen is painting it for me and talk me into repainting the rim I had painted them before I took the wagon up to him and I'm glad he did they look a lot more like they should, it would had been done but his wife decide it was time for there son to be born the day he was working on the box.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 5:21pm
It's getting closer to being done.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 5:50pm
looks good Kenny

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 11:40pm

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 7:12am

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 7:14am
Looks good Kenny, coming right along.

Posted By: JayIN
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 5:44pm
Wow! Very nice!

-------------
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"

Posted By: Tracy Martin TN
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 5:45pm
Looks Great!

-------------
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 6:05pm
Looks to purty to haul grain!  Maybe a load of pumpkins, but you'll have to make sure them pumpkins is polished up, too!Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: Ed (Ont)
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 8:26pm
Looks great. Now paint the boards at front Allis cream like the wheels on D17 to finish it off. Same as your wheels. 

Posted By: Wispitfiremike
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 9:28pm
Really nice work, I don't know if it would be original but I think some lettering in that raised oval or diamond area would look cool.

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 6:54am
Looks great Kenny.  Let me know if Mike is coming up and I'll make a trip over to see it too.
I assume you had the original decals made up somewhere?  It's gonna look SAWEET!!

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 9:08am
Folks, should be all done except the floor still haven't decide what I want to do with it next weekend if things go a cording to plans.
 Ted my go to guy for parts came though for me on the decals for it. 

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 9:37am
Kenny, do you intend to use it or strictly show piece?

Posted By: JayIN
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 10:43am
I wanna se it with the decals!

-------------
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 10:47am
Sure looks nice; too nice to use. I have that problem when I clean up and / or paint something, I don't want to use it and get it dirty. Keep up the good work.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by coggonobrien coggonobrien wrote:

Kenny, do you intend to use it or strictly show piece?

David, probably just a show piece, may take it up to Jim Jr. and let him pick one load of corn with it.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 8:25pm
Getting closer to being done.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 6:05am
You're going to need some side-boards Kenny. It will look really good full of ear corn.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 6:00pm
She all done now except for the floor I'm still debating what to do with it. Thanks to Ryan Franzen for the great job of painting her.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 6:35pm
looks really good Kenny 

Posted By: Ed (Ont)
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 8:19pm
Yes looks great. When I saw the other pic I thought it was just the front board but I see it is the whole floor you have to deal with. That’s a tough one. Maybe just stain and varnish to brighten it up a bit. 

Posted By: Red Bank
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 9:29pm
Looks great!

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 11:42pm
Kenny, that looks GREAT!!

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 6:32am
Wow, that looks nice

Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 8:47am
Linseed Oil.

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:44pm
I finally decide to replace the old floor boards with new and stain them. here are some more pictures.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 8:37am
Very nice Kenny. Wish you were about two hours closer, I'd come 'help'.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 5:49pm
Kenny that floor is awesome. Love that you decided for a stained wood finish over a painted wood finish. You got a cool foot step above its hitch too. Thanks for sharing photos.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net