Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=177859
Printed Date: 07 May 2024 at 12:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fast Food Choice
Posted By: FREEDGUY
Subject: Fast Food Choice
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:34pm
There's a topic on another forum that is getting pretty "churchy", the restaurant in that topic is Chic-Filet. My question is, of all of the "major" drive through places, what would be the first pick ? I personally think DQ has a pretty good product .

Replies:
Posted By: TDF
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:40pm
Runza......but I'm from Nebraska.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:45pm
What type of food do they have ? 

Posted By: Dirt Farmer
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:51pm
The chicken sandwich that ruffled feathers across the country brought to you by Popeyes is my go to unless the line is winding through the neighbor's fast food lot. If time is not a concern I enjoy Waffle House, the whole sticky atmosphere where you know everybody by the time you leave and you can watch them cook for you. The wife and daughter just dont understand, they joined me once and said it wasnt for them so now I know where to go when I dont want to be found

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:57pm
Probably Chic Filet, there food is darn good for fast food.  I just tried one of Wendys new chicken sammys yesterday and it was good.  I really like Culvers chili.  Good for quick, cold weather food.

We get all the fast food coupon sheets in the mail and I keep them on the front seat of the truck.  Just gotta stop and decide what I want that day.

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 7:20pm
Chic-Fil-A is tops in my book. Some of the Dairy Queens are good, some I avoid. It seems to depend on who the franchisee is. Same thing with Popeyes. I love their chicken but won't put up with the crappy service at the local ones. I have not eaten at Wendy's; Burger King or Mickey D's in over 20 years. I prefer a mom & pop restaurant for good food and service. Got a place called Blazers in the next town over that has some tremendous wings, I love the Raging Cajun flavor (they will burn you twice LOL).

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Posted By: Lars(wi)
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:08pm
Chic-fil-A is good, wife loves the Mac & Cheese, DQ’s some good some not, but all are slow slow slow.
Whataburger is overrated.
Burger King or Wendy’s for the burgers.
If I do stop at McDonalds, never ever purchase anything with beef.

-------------
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.

Posted By: HaroldOmaha
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:16pm
We have a local  burger joint called Bronco's Have the best French fry's of all the drive ins
They take fresh potato's cut them and store in cold water till they are fried a golden light brown. the fry is still soft. They have a great pork tender loin, occasionally the loin is twice the size of the bun.

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:45pm
my votes: 1st. Runza, 2nd. Popeyes, 3rd. Broncos (in Omaha). with this covid stuff going, i haven't been to any of them in almost a year. 

Posted By: Thad in AR.
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:54pm
Steak ‘n Shake then Sonic.
If I want the best Chicken I go to the Seligman Truckstop.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:33pm
Culver's

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:12pm
Another I like but it's not really fast food is Fuddruckers.  They used to be lots better but they are still a superior burger.  And you can put on what toppings you want and how much you want.  Heck, you could make a side salad if you wanted to.

When they first started out you could watch them cut and grind the meat, and make and bake the buns.  They also made some goodies and had hand dipped ice cream.  Sadly, none of that anymore!

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: dr p
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:28am
Wow! Culver's is still around!?! That was a great Milwaukee treat. That and real chili !

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:52am
We have a local Restaurant named Burgers Unlocked that have the best burgers around!

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:10am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Wow! Culver's is still around!?! That was a great Milwaukee treat. That and real chili !

Culver's is really GROWING around here. And pretty good stuff!

Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:27am
For us, it’s Chic-fil-A, good food, great service, nothing in their service or quality has changed with all the 19 changes, almost all the others have let food quality go out the door

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:19am
Would like to try Chic-Fil-A, and Popeyes. There aren't any very close to here unfortunately. Have to think to stop at one while on the way somewhere (and don't go anywhere very often!) The town I work in for fast food, has McD's and Burger King. Couldn't support a Timmy Ho! I guess Subway, but you can't eat that and drive.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:23am
i have in the last few years REFUSED to patronize Name Brand Chain based food shops.  Will hunt around for Mom and Pop diners, Small SINGLE family or group operations.  Enjoy Hermann Deli for quick Bites Tastier and CHEAPER than McyDs, frequent the 'Corner' in Rhineland MO as has the ABSOLUTE Best Fried Chicken since my Great Aunt Passed I have had.  For sit down better grade dinners go to White Mule Winery Rosebud MO or to Stone Hill's Vintage House restaurant here, in STL when or if we go and when COVID is not afflicting the general populace go down on the Italian Hill area for some Refined Italian Flavor, best around AFAIC.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:28am
The town I work in for fast food, has McD's and Burger King. Couldn't support a Timmy Ho! I guess Subway, but you can't eat that and drive.

Small towns are limited... Yesterday was a SNOW DAY so no school.. Took the GrandKids to McDonalds..  Thats their favorite !  Drive thru , go home and watch Cartoons while you eat ! Wink

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 10:50am
Surely prefer a mom and pop also, but when you're in a hurry you're in a hurry.

Culver's really isn't too far away, but it's not a direction on the way to anywhere I go.

Posted By: Brian F(IL)
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 11:00am
Just had my first Chick-fil-A experience last week.  Had to wait in line quite a while but it seemed to be worth it.  Will try it again sometime.  Good chicken nuggets (white breast meat) and good mac n cheese.

Posted By: TDF
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

What type of food do they have ? 
Runza is bread dough filled with hamburger, onions, cabbage, along with some black pepper, and baked.  It's a german's from Russia dish brought over with the immigrants.  It's a local chain, they are everywhere in Nebraska, the place also has really good hamburgers, fries, and onion rings.  

TDF

Posted By: JohnColo
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:40pm
A Runza just opened in what was a Jack in the Box in Longmont, Culvers opened there a couple years ago.  Hadn't heard of either until they opened.  Will have to try Runza.  I liked the Teriyaki Chicken bowel at Jack in the Box but get nearly the same thing at Costco for less money, 6 to a box.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

You better grab up all of the burgers from there that you can, my understandig as of 5 months ago is that the corona bankrupted S&S !!

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

"Might" be good stuff, but there's a $ limit that I can tolerate/meal, Culvers AIN'T it WinkWink

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:49pm
WE dont have a Culvers, so i dont know the $$... I thought they were suppose to be competative with Arbeys or Hardees ??

-------------

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:03pm
Culver's, Hardee's, Wendy's....bout the same price wherever

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:21pm
Hardees/Wendy's offer a " X/X$$" meal, to my knowledge Culvers does not. The Wendy's 4/$4  can NOT be beat BTW WinkWink , And they are my third choice after Taco Bell ($$/filling).

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:03pm
For a good burger, it seems fast food joints have all gone to the SMASH IT FLAT AND FRY IT FAST.  I liked the Angus burger McDonald's had and also I liked the mushroom and swiss that Dairy Queen had but sadly they don't offer them anymore.  If I want a good mushroom and swiss I go to Chili's, not fast food but worth the wait.  Still can't beat McDonald's fries but Freddy's does a good job and their sauce has horseradish in it.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Posted By: Stan IL&TN
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:39pm
My retirement routine is I hit the McDonald's drive through and grab a sausage biscuit each morning. Not much else anywhere. Will sometimes get some Wendy's chili. Wife think Chick Fil a is the best thing since sliced bread. Me not so much but they do have good milk shakes.

-------------
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:58pm
cheeze Runza;s are great, and they make great bacon/cheese burgers. their fries are good but alot of salt on them. 

Posted By: Larry Miller
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 10:24pm
Don't you all know, fast food makes your pants shrink.

-------------
I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 11:00pm
Hardies for a sausage biscuit. Wendies, Taco Johns in W des Moines, there's a big difference in them. Caseys for sliced Pizza, Hardies for a Frisco Burger, A&W for most anything.

Posted By: GARY(OH/IN)
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 11:08pm
That butter burger at Culver's is usually pretty good. We go there about once a month with a bogo coupon, also use a bogo for a concrete mixer, get a water cup and were good for a little over 10 bucks.
I've heard some Steak and Shakes were closing. I think ours is still open for drive thru. A new one in Lima ,Oh wasn't open a year , closed a few years ago and I think it's gone now. I really like their fries, and only eat them there as not supposed to.
We hit Lee's chicken alot of Wednesdays. Three piece bone in or white meat breast strip for $5.49. Total a little over $11.00
Captain D's fish on Wednesday or Sunday. Various dinners and drink $4.99 Not bad for the money.
Can you tell my wife doesn't like to cook?

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 7:16am

"Might" be good stuff, but there's a $ limit that I can tolerate/meal, Culvers AIN'T it WinkWink

Sounds like a personal problem.

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 7:47am
Had a thought about the fast food.

I wonder if the line will be still wrapped around the block when gas hits $5.  We will see.  Confused

Posted By: Thad in AR.
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 7:56am

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

You better grab up all of the burgers from there that you can, my understandig as of 5 months ago is that the corona bankrupted S&S !!

Was told the same. We have no fast food but McDonalds here but last time I was In Rogers, maybe a month or more ago, S&S was going strong. Who knows?
It appears to me that Corona has made the drive throughs and killed mom n pop.

Posted By: Clay
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:59am
Best fast food hamburgers in Kansas are Spangles and Braum's.   

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 5:54pm
Stan, on the breakfast meal, have you got a BK close ?? Their "Eggnormous Burrito" is WELL worth the $$$. For me it's a sausage version though Wink

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 6:29pm
Still waiting for Sandy's to come back.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 6:41pm

You "hearing" is bad Ouch

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 7:08pm
S&S is Not bankrupt, is a similar tale to nearly all Franchised Chains, owners get old, go to sell franchise, NO TAKERS, close doors and shutter store.

Several S&S in St Louis County were owned by same family started up in 1960s, transferred to a set of children where they too got old, are shuttered currently as NO BUYERS and No One to run them or staff t serve in them.  Common problem expanding like a cancer.

Posted By: weiner
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 7:11pm
Any place as long as it is not McDonald`s.   I won`t pass a White Castle without stopping,  It`s the onions,   We don`t have one in Northern Michigan so I don`t see one unless I`m traveling.  We go to Culver`s alot.

-------------
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:06am

You "hearing" is bad Ouch

K...SEEMS like a personal problem!

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 4:53pm
https://www.insider.com/gordon-ramsay-vegan-beet-wellington-dish-roasted-by-fans-2021-1" rel="nofollow - Dining at one of Gordon Ramsay's many restaurants  is an experience, but one customer wasn't happy when they received the check.

A diner at Ramsay's  https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/plane-food/" rel="nofollow - Plane Food  restaurant in London's Heathrow Airport was shocked to discover that a burger, fries, and a Coke had come out to £30.25, or about $41.

—Pusser1 (@Pusser14405122)  https://twitter.com/mims/statuses/1354065919593635846?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 26, 2021

The receipt they posted said the  https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/recipes/short-rib-beef-burger-recipe/" rel="nofollow - short-rib burger  - which includes short-rib beef, cheese, and chimichurri mayo - cost £15.50.

The triple-cooked chips came out to £5, while the Coke cost £4.50.

Rounding out the bill was a service charge, a coverage charge, and the value-added tax.

-------------

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 5:47pm
I like the Chik Fil A the most. Line usually long but they’re efficient and quick. Also the cleanest. They don’t allow their Franchise owners to own more than one store and mandate owner works a certain amount of hours for presence.

And if you really want to get hooked on something try their frosted lemonade which is lemonade spun in their ice cream like a shake.   Telling you, that and a chicken sandwich is mouth watering!

-------------
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945

Posted By: GARY(OH/IN)
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:26pm
Hey Scott, if it wasn't so late, and they were open, I'd be headed out there now. Oh I forgot, I had Arby's for supper an ain't hungry.

Posted By: Wayne180d
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 12:31am
Culvers is a little bit more expensive but for the quality you can't beat their food.  It's not necessarily a fast food place but around my area 5 Guys has the best burgers but they are proud of them.

Posted By: Brian F(IL)
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 11:50am
The wife and I just stopped at Jimmy John's and picked up a couple sandwiches for later this afternoon.  Love their Spicy East Coast Italian sandwich! Clap

Posted By: Carthus
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 4:23am
My favorite fast food is the chicken sandwich from chick-fil-a. The Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich is transcendent. The perfect combination of a generous portion of breaded chicken, soft bun, and tart pickles, it's enhanced by only one thing: Polynesian sauce. I also like curly fries from Arby's, mcflurry, and McNuggets from Mcdonald's. I don't like overeating this fast food, so I use a http://https://www.vont.com/product/digital-kitchen-scale/" rel="nofollow - kitchen scale to avoid overeating. It helps me get a good look at how much food I'm actually eating. I got mine from https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Beautiful-Measurement-Stainless-Batteries/dp/B08SW6F5SZ.

Posted By: ac fleet
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:55am
1) DQ
2) Mc.D
 Never go on my own but friends take me once in a while, ----- this is usually where we end up at.

-------------
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

1) DQ
2) Mc.D
 Never go on my own but friends take me once in a while, ----- this is usually where we end up at.
I will agree 100 % on the DQ WinkWink. Your comment on the "never go" on my own concerns me ConfusedOuch ??

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:07pm
McDonalds "used to" offer a family pack of various burgers/nuggets/ fries for $15. The wife and I pulled up to the DT pedestal and saw that the price went up to $22 CryConfused , We ended up at Steak& Shake for the 4-$4 deal Wink

Posted By: JTOOL
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:26pm
My absolute favorite is the Bacon King from Burger King with fries and a grape Sprite Zero. I think that I could eat one of those every day for the rest of my life.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by JTOOL JTOOL wrote:

My absolute favorite is the Bacon King from Burger King with fries and a grape Sprite Zero. I think that I could eat one of those every day for the rest of my life.

I'm PRO BK, but even I have to draw the line at ANY burger that needs bacon Confused ??

Posted By: JTOOL
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:40pm
@FREEDGUY; I don't think it "needs" bacon, it's just the more bacon on ANYTHING the better. LOL. Hells yes!! BACON! BACON! BACON!

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:45pm
back in the early 80s a couple friends took me to Canada with them to go snowmobiling. As we were turning into the Clown Palace Thumbs Down for the first meal break, I warned them to pass it by for someplace else. Of course they didn't listen. Then I warned them again for the second meal stop. Shortly after then they got what they asked for. Dead There we were going north on 81 with the temperature about 20, me in the middle and both windows down LOL After that I got to choose the meal stops Thumbs Up Family owned diners are always better than fast food. They're not all that hard to find when you look past all the glitz of the chains. 

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

back in the early 80s a couple friends took me to Canada with them to go snowmobiling. As we were turning into the Clown Palace Thumbs Down for the first meal break, I warned them to pass it by for someplace else. Of course they didn't listen. Then I warned them again for the second meal stop. Shortly after then they got what they asked for. Dead There we were going north on 81 with the temperature about 20, me in the middle and both windows down LOL After that I got to choose the meal stops Thumbs Up Family owned diners are always better than fast food. They're not all that hard to find when you look past all the glitz of the chains. 
I've been eating "Micky Dee's since 1972 and have NEVER had an issue with digestion , your "friends" were under the influence of "something" other than a cheeseburger WinkWink

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 10:26pm
Grandkids LOVE McD... I take them twice a week.. One gets Chicken sandwich, the other gets Nuggets... Everyone loves the Fries ! ......... recently they have Frozen Cokes, the kids have to get one.

-------------

Posted By: dee_veloper
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 2:55am
I almost never go to fast food joints.  But when I do feel the urge, I go to Subway sandwich shops and get a hot meatball sandwich, topped with pasta sauce, provolone cheese, black olives and pepperoncini's.  Very tasty.

I wish we had a Runza's in my area.  I would probably eat there once a week.  I love hamburger cabbage and onion buns.  Have to make them at home but always a treat.  My mom was from Nebraska and I've been eating those since I can remember.

-------------
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Posted By: Dakota Dave
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 9:03am
we go to the hitching post at the farm shut down and the farmer buys us lunch every day. I walk in sit down and the waitress brings my special and tea right out. I hate drive thru so avoid if possible. I go to chicfilet as ordering is easy you have your choice of chicken or chicken some people still cant make up their mind. I stop at Mcdonalds occasinaly if the kids aren't with they wont eat at MCds but will eat burger king chicken fries. my wife wont eat at burgerking. most franchised places are about the same average at best. 5 Guys is the better burger place but my vegetarian daughter only eats the fries.

Posted By: JLS retired
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 10:36am
my test for a good place to eat is it should be close to the sale barn or serve breakfast all day. opening at 5:30 and closing at 2: in the afternoon is another hint it might be OK.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

we go to the hitching post at the farm shut down and the farmer buys us lunch every day. I walk in sit down and the waitress brings my special and tea right out. I hate drive thru so avoid if possible. I go to chicfilet as ordering is easy you have your choice of chicken or chicken some people still cant make up their mind. I stop at Mcdonalds occasinaly if the kids aren't with they wont eat at MCds but will eat burger king chicken fries. my wife wont eat at burgerking. most franchised places are about the same average at best. 5 Guys is the better burger place but my vegetarian daughter only eats the fries.
The only thing better than a BK Whopper is their fish sandwich, in fact, I've stopped getting the Whopper and only get the fish sandwich from there Wink . They are 20 times better than the McDonalds  overcooked tiny crappy squares ClapClap !!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net