Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=172801
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fat Allis Let me Down
Posted By: DMiller
Subject: Fat Allis Let me Down
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm
AGAIN.  Seems the old gal just demands attention.

Dragged BILs old rust bucket out of the weeds to get running again, will start and run on dribbled gas into throat but fuel pump not pumping gas to carb.  Had to use Allis to drag it out as had taken a 'Set' so to speak and my pickup would not do it.  Noticed the right brake headed to floor, adjusted it and now all gone.  Back to several years ago, likely snatched a shoe apart and I did have the Power Boost dialed nearly off on BOTH sides so may just have been cracked finally gave up. 

Started tearing the donor apart for those brakes and clutches, will have to pull the cab guard off the runner then get back into the shop to pull the right side brake/clutch out.

Last time:

Replies:
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:25pm
Something is afoot with images:

Posted By: Mactractor
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 2:41pm
You maybe right Dave. That machine just likes laying around your workshop. All components will stay freed up that way I guess.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:14pm
So far seems all its good for!!

Picked up a electric fuel pump for the Chevy 70, will try to get that monstrosity moving anyway, need to haul dirt!!

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 11:30am
Got pump connected this morning still no gas, Tracked back to Standpipe in tank rusted off, while under it for that found three sections of brake lines rotted out and dripping, PS will no longer hold oil either.  Suspect this one is a done deal and scrap now.

Posted By: NomoreJohnDeere
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 4:32pm
fix it and haul your dirt

-------------
HD3

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:57pm
Could easily drop a grand in this just in pieces and no real value in it as the cab will fall off, be good money after bad.  Stepped on clutch was final determination as the left cab corner lifted and clutch I do not believe really released, mounts are rotted away.   Friend of mine THINKS he has another 70 series available to transplant some of the mechanical stuff to, will know some time this weekend, that falls thru this one gets hauled away and start over.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:24pm
Alright you guys and I have shamed myself into looking first for a replacement square body, may have one north of here, going there in morning.  He does have a Runable(Needs carb work) 1977 C70 366 5&2, Hyd. Drum Brakes, sitting on yard Cab and Chassis for $2250 and is Clean machine, a little too much for what we already have.  Has several old cabs in various states will negotiate on prices tomorrow.  If go that route, will strip the sheet goods off, and then proceed on the brake tubing issues.  That far I will reseal the Saginaw Dual Piston and maybe even buy a reman P/S pump for it.  How bad it can be or get is anyone's guess.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:55am
We all need that sense of adventure you have.

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 5:20pm
Finally BACK in the Shop.  Will be a few days shifting pieces, then can see inside the brake compartment to ID what broke.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:05pm
As expected, right lower shoe peeled.  All torn down, parts stripped from donor, will inspect replacement pieces for the install TOMORROW.  Soaked TWO t-shirts today by NOON!  It has just hit the Beer Thirty Bell!

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:14pm
Thought Y'all would like to meet my Helper, tends to not speak much thats OK, just always laying down, have to notch him up once in awhile!!  Thinking he is more into Binders!!

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:47pm
Yes understand the soaking two shirts. It's 92 here with heat index of 112, sure would be nice tyo get some rain , it keeps missing us the other day my son live about 12 mile away said he got 1/2" of rain and we got 6 drops. supposed to get some rain tonight or tomorrow and the temp drop into the 70s for Sat**day

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 3:21pm
Humidity has been something awful here, 80-90% is typical, may as well be raining as soon as I get outside break into a sweat.  Can feel for ya!!

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:16am
Got clutch and lower shoes back in all bolted up and then fought with upper shoe to the adjuster drive for over an hour
Had to just walk away awhile
Will get back at it Monday once temper tempers out!!
That was yesterday and still mad as well a few bloody spots nicked on sharp edges!

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 1:27pm
Have also decided the yard north of here has some relatively decent old cabs, going to go pick out one for the yellow dump truck once 7G is completed this time.  Fully intended on fixing it up but been so frustrated by the 7G as to have to get them both done and GONE!!

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 12:20pm
All back together this morning, just in time for Tornado Warning T-storms.  Cage still in yard, got started looking over trans leaks dropped belly pan, just seepers all over, nothing defined Leak.  Need to add a drain hole in pan so does not accumulate to puddle.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:55am

Got all pretty functional, been sitting awhile and we have had some rains!!  Renter called where was mowing the pastures for weed control, dropped the front end into a ditch and was hung up, Fat Allis to the rescue, ALL The Way in the Back Forty!!

The Victim

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:57am
Fat Allis, contemptuously happy to handle the competition.

Posted By: Boss Man
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:04pm
Breaks my heart to see green planted in a pasture......lol not

Posted By: NomoreJohnDeere
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 3:52pm
I dropped the front end of my tractor in a sink hole a couple years ago.
Had to call a wrecker

Good your up a going again

-------------
HD3

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 2:54pm
An additional trip under the seat this morning, seeping leak like to driving me NUTS.  FINALLY after leaving sit and I suspect at just the right angle it showed out.  Left brake actuator to clutch/brake cover plate.  All bolts were tight and the boots intact on the housing flares so peeled the culprit off.  Had NOT been off since I replaced the brake on the left along with the clutch actuator seals some seven years back.  Evidently in working in the barn, poor lighting and no way to control dirt I allowed a small rock or other piece of detritus to get under the actuator housing when reinstalled it, about .020-.030 thick mashed.  Seepage was off and on dependent of speed and percentage of brakes use.  Cleaned it all up, replaced the housing to plate Oring on the dump port and then went about backing off the brake pressure just a Tad more adjusted brakes and reset rail slack tension.  Ready for tomorrow. This was taken going back in.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 8:07pm
There's always something on these ol gems to keep us on our toes. Your perseverance has to be commended Dave. 

Posted By: JohnColo
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 9:44pm
Are you still serious about sending it down the road after finally getting more bugs out of it?  There has been more then one piece of junk I got so frustrated with trying to repair but then after I got it working, I kept it because I figured it would be hard to find another, probably in no better condition.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:41am
Actively listed CL locally and on Machinery Trader
Time for FA to see a new home

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:23pm
I will explain a tad further.  In mid sixties now, the 20# pin pusher and I no longer deal well with each other nor do the off angle approaches to repair regions does my arthritic spine and hands deal with very well.  Knew was gaining age when could not twist into the contorted shapes I once could to make repairs I used to do offhand.  Age our Constant companion is NOT our friend where while Allis is behaving and performing well will venture off to a new home to work the new master as hard as has I.

Hate to say it but the beatings I gave myself LONG ago have caught up IN SPADES. 

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 2:32pm
  Yes that has a tendencey to happen to all as we get older.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 4:11pm
Sadly so

Posted By: gemdozer
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 7:33pm
I think am gone closed soon because have so much arthrite every were legg, arm, back,feet,finger only the head no to bad for my 76 years old.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:10pm
And the hits just keep coming.  Got my crater dug out with the rock laden dirt moved out, need at least three to four decent loads of clean soil back in and garden spot will be good to go then noticed Snail Trails.  Fat Allis BICH!! sprung two NEW Leaks while in process.  Currently BACK in the shop awaiting my temper to calm.

Hyd Leak on left side Boom or bucket cylinder lines(LESS than three years old) and a drizzle from above the Trans Belly pan.

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:32pm
not gonna help the sales pitch.  LOL

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:52pm
Don't I Know!!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:32pm
Old FA is sitting quietly outside tonight, found the seepage on the Bucket Curl tube to hose connection Left side, was tight but loosened then repositioned and retightened, got a full flat after reposition tighter.  Suspect much of the problem there and at the transmission transition fittings from Hose to machine is forty year old JIC angle wear and distortion, only real way to shut it all off is drain the entire system, replace all the weeping seeping fittings the hoses attach to in reducing said seepage, did try retightening and repositioning hoses I could see as weepers.   Not happening in my wallet, next owner can do that as does a drain filter change and refill service.  Oil currently is least expense.  Was down almost No discernable level on hydraulics, down MAYBE a pint to a quart in trans.  Back to work tomorrow.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:06pm
Sad day today, a 4900 lb load of the derelict went to the scrapper, mostly junk parts and the stuff not really needed now as well the pile of discards off FA the runner.

Loaded the old rails on the gooseneck, will be further dismantling the derelict come Tuesday then the big chunks going on with the rails.  Then another load to the scrapper and barn will be opened back up for parking machines that run.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:41pm
Bright side Dave, be awhile before we ourselves are shipped off to the scrap yard!

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:41am
Dave,
 Reminds me that I have a  tracked binder machine that needs attention, hydraulic leak on a 70 year old machine. Seems like they should last longer than that!:)
Good pictures of your events with FA.
They are great when they work. Not so great when they dont!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:26pm
Sad at Mullins, had a IH TD15 Long track, rails looked great hole in engine block, gas axe lit off and hacking on it, old 955H almost completely de-assembled, a Clark US GI Pan Scraper next to the shredder claw.

I am with you Mac on the response, we have a few years yet before we get dragged to the pile!!

Tire Kicker is coming down Monday, stay overnight, late 90s Topkick GMC dump truck Juice Brakes small Cat Diesel 5&2 with a 20T tag trailer, to haul it back 300 miles to North of Davenport IA.

Posted By: HD6 Merv
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:13am
Hi Dave; bit of a bugger you gave up on Fat Al; but you sure had alot of headaches with her. Honestly thought you had her beaten; but that brake band must have been the last straw for you. Fixn machinery can sure be hard on the body. Am a weee bit younger but my body gives out ditress signals too at times. And know sure as hell a few of my machinery projects may have to go to another man too sometime.
And like Mac says, hopefully we all have some time left before the fuel gauge hits 'E'. !

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 5:11am
She had been a labor of love up to that last event
Had big aspirations turned to sad emotions was tired of beating my head on a wall

Has been entertaining and educational is about all can say where will not be very sad as she waddles out the drive on a trailer

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 3:05pm
Monday Morning Delivery loaded but need to chain down

Tuesday the pallet loads to the front of the 180 leave with FA.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 5:54am
Fella from Clinton(Comanche) IA is coming down Monday.  Bringing a GM Dump truck and a 20T tag trailer to take home the Allis if he likes what sees.  Agreed to a price and he seems to really want the tractor so will see come Tuesday Morning.  May end up a dead head run for him and a no sale for me.

He has a 300 mile run to haul the old Fat Allis!!.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:29pm
Alrighty then, old goomer is at New Florence MO, I-70 and MO 19, gonna be here at 7ish in the morning determined to try it out and take it home.  

Long Story LONGER and More Boring.  Forewent having a REGULAR Hauler bring it to him, is driving down in a SINGLE Axle GM Top Kick Dump truck and a 20T Tag trailer.  Left at 7 this morning from Clinton IA.  Popped two trailer tires by Davenport IA had to buy Two to get back on road.  Gets to New London MO and Pops a Steering tire, has to be towed to tire shop.  This is what I find STRANGE.

He states: "the shop did NOT have 8Ply Rated as he can get at home so HAD to buy 16 Ply tires and replace BOTH Fronts"  {HAD TO}!!  Not sure what he had put on Tag or what is STILL on that tag trailer but 8ply will NOT take any load or heat.

This guy I may NOT allow to leave with the tractor.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net