Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=169465
Printed Date: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 160 3pt Problems!
Posted By: Allis-a-holic
Subject: 160 3pt Problems!
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:53pm
Hi all, I have a 160 that will lift implements but not at idle and slowly even if your reving her to the moon. With nothing on the 3pt it will lift at idle and position control works. Now what I know doesn't work correctly is the traction booster lever. A previous owner somewhere down the line wired the TB lever to where it can't be moved but even if you take the wire off you cannot move the lever more than halfway down. It's like there is something stopping the lever from going any further down. Also if you let go of the TB handle or don't have the wire on it. while running it will climb on it's own to the top position. I've cleaned the pickup filter, change the entirety of the hydraulic/trans fluid, and the pump is relatively new and like I said even with weight on it, it will lift but slowly and it takes a lot of rpm. One last thing, I had seen a post about another 160 with hydraulic problems (shocker), I can't find the post anymore but one of the commenters asked if the tractor had a piece of railroad track for a front bumper and well mine does, so I figured whoever it was knew the tractor before I got it.

Thanks, any info to help steer me in the right direction to fix this thing would be awesome. P.s. I do have the complete, owners, repair, and parts manuals for this tractor from agcopubs.

Replies:
Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:14am
How does it work when picking something up with the remote?

I know practically nothing about a 160. My uncle had one and I removed and reinstalled the injection pump when it needed rebuilding, but that's about the extent of it. I do know they have had several hydraulic pumps on that one. 

Did you get all the air out of the system? I know they often have to get the air out of theirs, especially when the pump is getting bad.

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:28am
Never been around a 160, but I do know this: they are world famous for 3-point hitch hydraulic issues. So, good luck and hope you get it working.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:53am
I just talked to my cousin about it. He seemed to think you have air in the system or the hydraulic pump is shot. He says they have changed the pump several times on their 160. He says it doesn't effect the power steering when the pump is bad.

If you have to replace the pump, here is today's Ebay listing for Allis Chalmers 160 hydraulic pump. (They are probably all made offshore.) They are relatively inexpensive, when comparing to the other 100 series.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=allis+chalmers+160+hydraulic&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&ul_noapp=true&_sop=1&_saslop=2&_dmd=1&_odkw=allis+chalmers+-belt+-manual+-brochure+-ad+-poster+-diecast+-alternator+-photo&_sasl=greenbackin&rt=nc&_stpos=12914-2421" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=allis+chalmers+160+hydraulic&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&ul_noapp=true&_sop=1&_saslop=2&_dmd=1&_odkw=allis+chalmers+-belt+-manual+-brochure+-ad+-poster+-diecast+-alternator+-photo&_sasl=greenbackin&rt=nc&_stpos=12914-2421

Posted By: Dave (NE)
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 1:34pm
Don't know if this will help, but when I raise the lift arms, with or without an implement on them, I move both the traction booster lever and lift arm hydraulic lever up.  When I lower the implement, I move both levers forward/down.  Seems to work fine for the up or down.  Never have tried to separately use the traction booster like with a plow or something, as whatever implement I had on the 3-point was used either up or down.  Dave

-------------
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.

Posted By: Allis-a-holic
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:33pm
Unfortunately my 160 does not have a remote set so I can't check the hydraulics via the remotes. Also my 160 is a deluxe and has factory power steering that is ran by it's own pump and separate reservoir and my traction boost lever won't travel but about halfway down. I guess I need to put a pressure guage on the pumps test port and start there.

Posted By: tbran
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:41pm
Look under the front of the seat base - there is a cover there with a strainer underneath. Remove the strainer and clean it  - we take an ice pic and open up the screens with a few pokes for cold weather flow.  If the pump doesn't get supply and then provide pressure to the lift valve system - all kinds of weird things happen.

-------------
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:18pm
Well, as it had been several years since I purchased my one-sixty, I thought it would be prudent to clean the hydraulic screen discussed above.  Pulled it out, cleaned it, put it back in, started the tractor and the 3-point would not function.  Oh, boy, that "don't fix it unless it is broken" adage hit me.  Took the screen out again, made sure it was properly in.  Still didn't work.  Added fluid.  Still didn't work.  Crawled up on the shelf, got a cylinder down, connected it to exterior hydraulic outlets.  Went slow to start with, but then worked properly and the 3-point lifted up.  Really relieved.  Must have been something peculiar that needed to be moving in the hydraulics, but now seems to be working.  Dave

-------------
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Dave (NE) Dave (NE) wrote:

Well, as it had been several years since I purchased my one-sixty, I thought it would be prudent to clean the hydraulic screen discussed above.  Pulled it out, cleaned it, put it back in, started the tractor and the 3-point would not function.  Oh, boy, that "don't fix it unless it is broken" adage hit me.  Took the screen out again, made sure it was properly in.  Still didn't work.  Added fluid.  Still didn't work.  Crawled up on the shelf, got a cylinder down, connected it to exterior hydraulic outlets.  Went slow to start with, but then worked properly and the 3-point lifted up.  Really relieved.  Must have been something peculiar that needed to be moving in the hydraulics, but now seems to be working.  Dave

Maybe the remote cylinder allowed some air out of the system?

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 10:05am
Yeah, I was thinking maybe air in the system, but manual never mentioned any possibility of that when cleaning the screen nor how to bleed air out if there was air in the system.  Glad the remote cylinder thing worked.

-------------

Posted By: Flyer
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 10:09am
^I have that problem any time I remove the cover on that filter.  The pump loses prime and i end up using a brake bleeder to pull fluid up to the pump.  The pump is pretty much brand new as ire all the seals in the system.

-------------
An optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees a glass with double the required capacity.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net