Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=167495
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 10:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cracked engine block
Posted By: 68mustang
Subject: Cracked engine block
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:15am
Allis chalmers 1939 wc bought tractor with engine block is welded , it runs perfect, it seaps coolant one area where it was welded, should I grind it down and try to re-weld, the weld looks very ugly.
Should I just look for another block assembly with crank ?

Replies:
Posted By: LouSWPA
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:36am
nothing ventured, nothing gained. the trick to welding cast is to use torches and preheat and then after welding slowly cool it down with torches, and/or wrap in old heavy blankets so it cools slowly

-------------
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27

Posted By: Clay
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 12:05pm
If the block is now solid, clean and seal the weld with Belzona 1111 Super Metal.
1. Remove all traces of oil and antifreeze.
2. De-grease the surface with acetone or MEK.
3. Sweat the area with a torch. This will help bring the oils out of the pores of the metal.
4. Degrease.
5. V out the crack and roughen the surface.
6. Degrease.
7. Apply Belzona 1111 Super Metal to the area.
8. After the Belzona has cured, sand and paint.

Posted By: ac fleet
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:17pm
I put Aluma seal in one. Never leaked since.  Had one with JB plastered on it, that didn't hole for long. Good cleaning before application is the key to anything holding.

-------------
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:24pm
This guy doesn't know much about a WD but he seems to know his welding. Welding cast iron without preheating and no cracks.
[TUBE]Yopcz-IYDyQ[/TUBE]

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: johnkc
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 3:03pm
yep! what Clay say's. there are many boat engines out there " fixed"{LOL] that way.

-------------
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!

Posted By: PDehring
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:03pm
X2 on Belzona, I fixed my M block with it and worked great.  Not cheap though.  

-------------
1937 M Crawler, 1963 D21, 1964 D21, 1965 D12 SIII, 1970 220, 1976 185

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:08pm
Where's the leak/welded area?

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: 68mustang
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:05pm
the repair is right along the carb. and intake rubber hose , don’t know how to post pictures in this forum.

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:15pm
There have been many of those blocks successfully repaired by drilling 1/4" holes in the block on both sides of the crack and threading the 1/4" holes and mounting a 3/16" flat plate to the side of the block with a gasket and plenty of RTV or Permatex glue in-between.  It adds strength to the cracked area and works better than welding.  Looks bad ?? Well, how good does a bunch of weld look that seeps coolant all the time ??

Posted By: dawntreader74
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:42pm
DR; your wright on the patch' works very well' fixed one the same way' i put some JB; with a gasket' still never leaked been 10 years on WC.

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:15pm
My C was declared dead by a PO after it threw a connecting rod through the carb side of the crankcase. Another fellow who happened to be a terrific farm mechanic made a patch using a piece of soft metal which he formed to the shape of the crankcase. He then drilled and tapped holes in the crankcase about every inch and bolted the patch & a gasket onto the side of the block. He ran that engine for years until I bought it from him. No welding required!

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: GARY(OH/IN)
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:07am
I patched an Oliver 88 with JB and it never leaked again for the several years I owned it.

Posted By: cottonpatch
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

If the block is now solid, clean and seal the weld with Belzona 1111 Super Metal.
1. Remove all traces of oil and antifreeze.
2. De-grease the surface with acetone or MEK.
3. Sweat the area with a torch. This will help bring the oils out of the pores of the metal.
4. Degrease.
5. V out the crack and roughen the surface.
6. Degrease.
7. Apply Belzona 1111 Super Metal to the area.
8. After the Belzona has cured, sand and paint.

Belzona 1212 is a better fit as it’s oil tolerant so you don’t have to sweat it. Also available in smaller kits, and it’s one to one base to solidifier versus 3:1 for super metal. Both good products.

-------------
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:24am
The metal patch idea works pretty good, for large holes, drilling, and tapping, too. I hadda jeep that I fixed with jb weld, crack was along the bottom of the water jacket, perilously close to the oil gallery.  Its always a good idea to borrow or rent a magnaflux unit, to see how far the crack(s) go.  Drill a hole, at the ends, tap and thread in a bolt, at all ends, to keep the crack from growing, taking care not to drill too deep, and into a moving part.Wink

Then there's this:

[TUBE]Pq0wfU4ZaKk[/TUBE]

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:33am
Nevada Cylinder Head shop on the west side of Nevada, Iowa welds blocks often. They also can straighten crank shaft bores.

Gerald J.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net