Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=166879
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:07pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: battery charger desulfator?
Posted By: mdm1
Subject: battery charger desulfator?
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 6:52am
I know this has been discussed before. I am thinking about a smart charger that will work on 6 and 12v batteries. I have 2 6v batteries that I would like to try one on.  Has anyone bought a unit that will work for both? Looking for opinions. Thanks and Merry Xmas!

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Replies:
Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:34pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqCoiXvG3rw" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqCoiXvG3rw
some info on the units 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:40pm
If you remove from service...you could wire the 2 6 vlters in series and they become a 12 volt battery.

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 2:03pm
I thought about wiring in series but it would be nice to have one for 6v also. I have watched some videos and read some articles and as usual everything is all over the place. That's why I would like to hear from someone who has used one. I believe Shameless has.

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 6:37pm
Mine senses voltage and polarity and flashes red or green accordingly. It's pretty much foolproof.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 6:43pm
Have not seen a Six volt charger since I left Garage Work!! Know they should still be out there as Group 4 Six Volt Batteries still available.

As to in Series, was having issues with the 180 charging up Both 12Vs seems did Not want to do it so swapped back to singles and one had opened a cell.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 8:31pm
Walker what do you have?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 9:59pm
Optimate 3. Bought it for motorcycle, atv and small batts. That company does make bigger models for bigger batts.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 10:12pm
Mine also maintains the battery which is most important for mc's during winter. The one like shameless has may be more what you're looking for.

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:23pm
I have 6 battery chargers in the shop, all of them are 6/12 volt. One from TSC, one from NAPA, and 3 from HF. Can't remember where I got the other 1. None have the desulfinator package built into them. I just collected them all up today and put them away for the winter.

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:42pm
mine is a B&D smart charger, I don't think it works on 6 volt batteries tho, never tried it as I don't have any 6 volters right now.

Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 5:09am
My tenders are all from NOCO, they have the desulfurization function, but it only works in 12 volt mode, 6 volt is a regular charge mode.
https://no.co/products" rel="nofollow - https://no.co/products

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Posted By: 1951WDNWWI
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 8:01pm
This one does 6v and 12v and maintains.  Does regular and AGM batteries.  As far a desulfator it does not say.   https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/schumacher-100a-6v-12v-fully-automatic-battery-charger/0000000297869?bc=Schumacher&brandCrumb=3964712101&bn=schumacher" rel="nofollow - https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/schumacher-100a-6v-12v-fully-automatic-battery-charger/0000000297869?bc=Schumacher&brandCrumb=3964712101&bn=schumacher

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 1:49am
I got no idea if this will make sense or not but here goes. The way I understand it the Optimate type keeps cycling through the checks as it's maintaining the batt. If it picks up any sulphating it will try different combos of kicks and jabs as it cycles until its gone. Now with 2.3 charging amps that aint much I realize but at the same time I know 4 amps will fry a motorcycle batt. I read it tries different combos of shorts and longs and maybe puts out more amps on bursts, I know when the sulphate light is on the charger warms up considerably the first time but damned if it don't seem to be doing what it says it's doing. I had a Chinese maintainer on one of them that fizzled I don't know when but it was pretty bad and this thing brought it back. I paid more for that battery than I did the charger. There is plenty of chargers to be had just got to find one with features you need.

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 6:57am
Walker..
That's a pretty good description as to what's happening. There are a few 'tricks' to the 'black magic' of reviving  a battery. One is that when desulphuratin, you send narrow, high energy(amps) pulses to the battery. I read somewhere that 'bursts' of 3.4MHz is the best frequency. This 'blasts' the battery without overcharging it. The other trick is everyone uses a 50 cent computer as the 'brains'. That's how they can desulph/charge/maintain any kind of battery. The computer 'reads' the battery then does 'whatever' , shows some numbers on a screen, then does it all again, over,and over and over and over...till the cows come home.

'Old skool' battery chargers,like the 4A one you write about, just keep filling the battery with electrons. Eventually something has to give. Same as filling  a bucket with an unstoppable running hose.....

Jay

-------------

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 3:14pm
Calling chaskaduo you had model in the last discussion,Wink that was doing great things. It still working? Cause I could use one and like said above recomendation from someone using one. i did try looking back Confused and nothing.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 3:33pm
Ray, this Topic Link   https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/shameless_topic166159_post1392410.html?KW=tender#1392410" rel="nofollow - https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/shameless_topic166159_post1392410.html?KW=tender#1392410

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 6:23pm
jaybmiller, cooking a battery wasn't quite so painfull back when they were like 19.99, now that they are like 119.99 it's a whole new ball game and chargers don't care if they are six years or six minutes old. All should take notice that this same thing applies to lawn mowers also. And speaking of fleecing's, back in the 70's I was in a Western Auto store and bought a small blue bottle with no ingredients listed for a couple bucks that made a completely shot battery for a Honda mc last for years and I aint seen one of them blue bottles since.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 11:10am
??????

-------------

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 12:05pm
Here ya go buddy!!  I have quite a few myself at the farm and I love em!

https://www.batterychargers.com/en/search-results?search_api_views_fulltext=battery+maintainers" rel="nofollow - https://www.batterychargers.com/en/search-results?search_api_views_fulltext=battery+maintainers

Just go through the list and find the 6v ones.

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 5:30pm
Probably, mine didn't come in box but the name rings a bell. Where'd ya find them?

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 3:57am
On the web, googling of course. They were not for sale, just an info picture. I vaguely remembered XV6 ads and started googling.

-------------

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 6:34am
Bought a maintainer for my Harley, thought was smart thing to do as every cycle jockey mechanic said was a must have. Have NOT used it in years for more than a spot charge for a day prior to use. When left it on for weeks to months it WOULD cook the battery, first one(OE) only lasted two years, one in it now has been in it for four.

Posted By: exSW
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 6:44am
I have a NOCO 3500. It works well but the insulation on the leads is so brittle the wire broke after about a year. Five year warranty and it's on its way back now. But I'm out a charger in December.

-------------
Learning AC...slowly

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:28am
Kinda hate to say this but HF has one on sale now that if it works it will do everything I want. Might give it a try. If it doesn't work it will go back.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:46am
A 'maintainer' that cooks a battery is defective. It's designed to 'top up' a battey then shut off.ONLY when the battery discharges, will it then  come back on and 'top up' the battery.
Old skool battery chargers (transformer and 4 diodes, aka 1st gen) would cook batteries. 2nd gen using SCRs work GREAT ! They automatically 'top up' as required. I consider them to be a 'combo' unit charger and maintiner. They do reuire battery to have a bit of volts in them to start though.
The problem with today's stuff is everyone HAS to have a computer under the hood and lots of itty bitty parts, none of which can be fixed cheaper than buying, sigh, another unit.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:17pm
Chaskaduo, speaking for my old Honda batt. that was good stuff.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:27pm
I've got one maintainer I rotate around between 4 batteries making sure to hit each one every three weeks or so for a couple days. Kinda gives the maintainer a break now and then too. Mine says it's guaranteed for three years so what the hey.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

I have a NOCO 3500. It works well but the insulation on the leads is so brittle the wire broke after about a year. Five year warranty and it's on its way back now. But I'm out a charger in December.
   Two things the Chinlee have no idea how to make, a spring the will hold it's springeness and copper wire that aint brittle or just so skinny it is useless.

Posted By: exSW
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

Two things the Chinlee have no idea how to make, a spring the will hold it's springeness and copper wire that aint brittle or just so skinny it is useless.

Five year warranty.If that's the case that thing's going to rack up some mileage!

-------------
Learning AC...slowly

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 8:22pm
Rigorous testing of their product is the best way of keeping them honest.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 5:32am

Well,,I'm hopin ya'll get this figured out and post which one is the best maintainer,,,as I have several batteries I could use one on. I seen the little one at HF but waitin on somebody to shout out if it works out good,,,,,,Clap

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 7:00am
re:...

You have to remember a LOT of what they make are to the SPECS of whoever is reselling/using the products.
Had a chevy 350sbc /350 tanny on an engine hoist for a 1 1/2, never dropped. I figur ethat's pretty darn good for a cheap hyd cyl 'made in China' !!
What I like is seeing the SAME thing is red, yellow, blue, green at 4 diferent prices !!

-------------

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 12:35am
Joe, had WASTED my money on a couple of them HF ones and wouldn't do that again.  I really like the Schumacher ones.  I've had nothing but good luck with them.  Only had one of them corrode and I don't know if it was my fault of what, but of the 6 I have on batteries now, only one corroded.  I like em cause you can get a 6v/12v

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 7:47am
Well I have to admit I did buy one from HF. At $25.00 it's worth a try. As just a charger it takes a 12v up to 13.9v which is a good float level. I think 6v was 6.9 or 7v. I do like the digital distplay. I don't have a battery down far enough to see if the repair mode will work. I will see if the batteries hold their charge. I will put one in a tractor and see how it goes.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net