Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=166213
Printed Date: 26 Sep 2024 at 7:16pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite pie
Posted By: Thad in AR.
Subject: Favorite pie
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 5:41am
Mine is pecan eventhough we don’t have any pecan trees around here. I have a friend from Jonesboro that brings me a bunch every year from their family property.
It’s a good winter pass time to crack and pick the pecans.
Jenn saves the nice whole ones for pie and uses the broken ones for other deserts.

Replies:
Posted By: FREEDGUY
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 6:10am
Peanut Butter, Blueberry a close second Wink

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 7:53am
Dutch Apple Pie with a big pile of cool whip on top

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Posted By: Dave in PA
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:13am
3 berry mix,  blue, black, rahsberry mixture 

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:15am
That sounds so good. Would be a very good cobbler as well.

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:21am
Sour Cream-rasin! Been a few years since I've had any, great stuff! Hard to go wrong with pie.

Posted By: nella(Pa)
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:49am
Good homemade apple pie, made with Baldwin or Winesap apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, butter and pie crust made with good lard.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:49am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Sour Cream-rasin! Been a few years since I've had any, great stuff! Hard to go wrong with pie.

Never had nor heard of it. Sounds good.
A few years back I made a couple old fashioned buttermilk pies that I thought were good.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:11am

Well,,my favorite is pecan,,even tho I gots to really watch the sugar,,,I'm a 'crunchy" type of eater and I just like pecans. I've got a big pecan tree right in front of the house but the last 2-3 years the crop and size have been kinda small for some reason,,,,I keep a pan on front porch for snackin on them when I'm sittin there watchin the people drive by,,,,Clap Punkin be a close second,,,,

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:40am
My favorite is “yes, please and thanks for making”

-------------
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945

Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:52am
Rhubarb.

Dusty

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Posted By: trace
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 10:51am
during this time of year pumpkin custard with whip cream. 

-------------
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER

Posted By: Bob D. (La)
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 10:54am
Pecan, above all others. Every other kind is a very close second.

-------------
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 11:34am
Someone say PIE!! All and ANY labeled PIE is my Favorite!! Only Cake is where I have a specified Favorite, German Chocolate.

Posted By: Wayne180d
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 2:25pm
Peach

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 3:34pm
I only know of 3 that I dont like. Rhubarb, Cherry, and gooseberry. The rest are #1.

Posted By: JayIN
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 4:34pm
The neighbor's!

-------------
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"

Posted By: Alberta Phil
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 10:40am
As one of my stepdaughters used to say:  "Pie is a breakfast food!!!"  Any kind, but especially homemade lemon merange.

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 7:52pm
If I had to pick one, it would be pecan. My daughter makes the best I have ever had, even better than what Mom used to make and I back then hers were the best. My wife makes a great lemon pie, nice and tart. Tree rats and crows got all of our pecans this year. 

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Posted By: Unit3
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm
My mother makes pies. Coconut and banana cream are two that folks ask for the most. She makes one called Southern Magnolia. I am not sure what kind of nut is in it, but OH MY, is it good. Put some ice cream along side it and you got heaven on a plate. 

-------------
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 8:16pm
I've only turned my nose up at the mention of 2, mincemeat and shepherds, all the rest are #1.  My favoritest favorite was burnt sugar, (like a caramel), back in the day when I could eat anything without gaining weight.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Posted By: Red Bank
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 9:28pm
I am not too big on desserts but I can never turn down peanut butter pie.

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 4:00am
I had a piece of apple pie with raisins in it one time.  It was about two times thicker than a normal pie.  I was in KC MO and saw it in a pie case and that was all it took.  I didn't think I would like the raisins but they turned out to add a great extra flavor.  I have never seen one like it since, and I'll never forget it.

I won't eat rhubarb, lemon, any kind with marange.  The Cheesecake Factory makes some good pies.  If it's cut in a wedge I consider it pie!Big smile

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: 200 10and20
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 4:49am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I had a piece of apple pie with raisins in it one time.  It was about two times thicker than a normal pie.  I was in KC MO and saw it in a pie case and that was all it took.  I didn't think I would like the raisins but they turned out to add a great extra flavor.  I have never seen one like it since, and I'll never forget it.

I won't eat rhubarb, lemon, any kind with marange.  The Cheesecake Factory makes some good pies.  If it's cut in a wedge I consider it pie!Big smile
John SARA LEE MINCE PIE is what you want to buy delicious!!

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:16am
My mom makes a mean rhubarb pie, makes the crust from scratch and doesn't overload the filling with sugar. You get the tart of the rhubarb, love that stuff!

Mom and her sister were talking at thanksgiving diner how none of my generation have learned how to make angel-food cake. They both make a great one. Sadly will probably be a lost art in a few years, too labor intensive for me to learn.

Posted By: allisrutledge
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 9:24am
PIE hmmmm I like m all

-------------
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns

Posted By: modirt
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 12:01pm
Wasn't sure if that was holiday pies or pies in general? Sounds like in general.

Best fruit pies in season are cherry, peach, apple and blackberry, plus for the odd tastes......gooseberry and rhubarb. The latter two are an acquired taste. You either love them or hate them. Up home, local restaurant is known for their pies and they sometimes have gooseberry (from canned filling......not the real deal), yet few people know about it, as there is a regular and if he gets there first, he will usually buy the entire pie. A true gooseberry freak will crawl across the room on broken glass to get a piece. There may be a state law that mandates a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on a slice of gooseberry pie.

Best cream pies are coconut, raisin, pineapple cream, and chocolate.......assuming all are made with a cooked custard filling and the latter is made from chocolate squares and not powdered cocoa. Semi-related, but lacking the big topping is a chess pie.  And pumpkin.....love pumpkin.....even when it's made with a squash.

Then there is pecan.....which is made all the better if you can get your hands on some of our northern hard shell pecans.....plus don't tell anybody, but my secret ingredient is 1/2 cup of mini sized dark chocolate chips.

And lastly, mincemeat........which is a traditional holiday season pie......made with several fruits.....applies, currents, spiced peaches, etc, plus real meat. I use a nice beef chuck. Like gooseberry, you love it or hate it.

All of them enhanced if you use lard and a low gluten soft wheat flour like While Lilly for your crust.

Posted By: Burgie
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:51am
Coconut cream with hickory nut second.

-------------
"Burgie"

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:00am
any pie cept cherry and rhubarb, my fav's are banana crème and blueberry.

Posted By: ihc pickups
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:20am
Gooseberry is my all time favorite. Apple, Cherry, Lemon meringue comes in next.

-------------
Mike

Posted By: Clay
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 12:32pm
The Carriage Crossing Restaurant, Yoder, Kansas has a very large variety of pies available.
Let me tell you, these pies are GOOD!
https://www.yoderkansas.com/ccr-bakery-menu" rel="nofollow - https://www.yoderkansas.com/ccr-bakery-menu

FRUIT PIES

• Apple

• Blackberry

• Blueberry

• Cherry

• Dutch Apple (crumb top)

• Peach

• Peach Pecan (crumb top)

CREAM PIES

• Banana Cream

• Black Forest (Chocolate & Cherry)

• Blackberry Cream

• Blueberry Cream

• Butterscotch Cream

• Cherry Cream

• Chocolate Cream

• Chocolate Peanut Butter Cream

• Coconut Cream

• Peach Cream

• Peanut Butter Cream

• Sour Cream Raisin

CREAM CHEESE PIES

• Blackberry Cream Cheese

• Blueberry Cream Cheese

• Cherry Cream Cheese

• Chocolate Coconut Cream Cheese

• Chocolate Peanut Butter Cream Cheese

• Coconut Cream Cheese

• Lemon Cream Cheese

• Peach Cream Cheese

• Peanut Butter Cream Cheese

• Snicker Bar Cream Cheese

• Strawberry Cream Cheese

SPECIALTY PIES

• Strawberry Rhubarb

• German Chocolate

• Pecan

• Pumpkin

• Tollhouse with Walnuts

MERINGUE PIES

• Chocolate Meringue

• Coconut Meringue

• Lemon Meringue

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 12:37pm
Clay we recently bought a Dutch Apple pie there with the crumb top. Beyond good. Felt like it weighed 20lbs. I love that place.

Posted By: TramwayGuy
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 12:47pm
My favorite is Blubarb (blueberry rhubarb).

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 1:06pm
There was an apple pie made by a grandmother type person but not my actual grandmother in my childhood that was the absolute best most delicious thing you ever tasted.  I suppose you could put whip cream or ice cream with it, but I don't know why you would want to alter the flavor of it as it was in any way!  Lard crust so flaky and amazing!  My wife makes good pie, but sadly, nobody can touch the way hers was.
So, that's my favorite, but no longer available.Unhappy  Substitutes these days, well, there's still good apple pie here and there, pecan is great. Peach cream probably the best current day pie.

Rhubarb?Dead

Posted By: trace
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 1:28pm
clay, why didn't just say "love pie" lol

-------------
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 2:00pm
Snicker Bar Cream Cheese, that sounds scary good!

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 2:03pm
Since it seems we are trying to list all pies fresh strawberry is my favorite some days. That is a regular baked crust then add strawberries with a jello whip cream mix to fill the space between berries,then refrigerate.  But pecan or/and walnut(people give me walnuts,have to buy pecans),apple,peach,or pumpkin can also be the best on another day. And speaking of cream pies banana and coconut are right up there.

Another good one I have not seen is apricot custard,that was dads all time favorite.

I can pass on anything meringue.  

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 2:35pm
Pecan with my dentures, or pecanless without my dentures (sometime I just don't want to deal with em). French silk chocolate second. Any pie has to have light flaky crust, even the cream cheese ones. Do not care all that much for gritty old graham cracker crust. I know, picky, picky, picky.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: FREEDGUY
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:43pm
My late grandmother used to bake all of the different pies(home made) including fruit/meringue. Can someone tell me what is in an OLD FASHINED CREAM PIE ?? Never had a slice (store bought) as good as hers.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:39pm
Trace,  I "Love Pie". 

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:18pm
Clay....is that American pie?

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:26am
Who ever heard of any war started at a kitchen door by two fellers full of pie looking for soft spots to lie! My favorite pie is caramel apple,peach,cherry, blueberry,Dutch apple and strawberry rhubarb or just strawberry!

Posted By: modirt
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

My late grandmother used to bake all of the different pies(home made) including fruit/meringue. Can someone tell me what is in an OLD FASHINED CREAM PIE ?? Never had a slice (store bought) as good as hers.

Try this.....

2 cups sugar
4 eggs (beat sugar and eggs together until creamy)

Then mix in

4 Table spoons corn starch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 quart of milk

put all that in a sauce pan over low heat.....stir constantly so it doesn't scorch.....and heat until it gets thick.

The mix in your coconut, etc, and dump into a pie shell (one that has been already baked for about 10 minutes until golden)
Then the meringue goes on top and is baked until golden.

Which is why you almost never see one today. Easier to open a can or mix up a box of jello..........

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:45am
Back when I used to live in Dayton OH, there was a restaurant out east of there in the country called Der Deutchler (I think, something very close to that).  Was quite the restaurant, they served everything family style, bringing you bowls of food, all you wanted.  Best roast beef, mashed potatoes and green beans I've had outside a home.  Anyway, they made a very old fashioned recipe of "milk pie" (again, pretty sure on that!)  It was a very plain and simple tasting pie, wouldn't call it my favorite, but it was interesting.

Anyone ever have that?  Anyone from Ohio know the restaurant I'm talking about?

Posted By: Stan IL&TN
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:35am
Warm blackberry pie with French vanilla ice cream.❤️

-------------
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:35am
  Just thinking about all the different pies is going to make me have to let out a notch in my belt.

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:24pm
DIRECTIONS
Mix sugar, flour and salt in pie shell with your finger.
Add the cream.
Finish filling crust with milk.
Sprinkle with nutmeg (or cinnamon).
Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes, then 350°F for 40 minutes.
Food.com › recipe › old-fashioned-...
Old Fashioned Milk Pie Recipe - Food.com

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:18pm
My number one bestest pie is pizza pie.
There's a number two but I can't mention it on here, it's a family site.
Pies for dessert (in order)
Blueberry
Banana Cream
Dutch Apple (crumb top)
Apple
Coconut Cream
My Grammas or Moms Lemon Meringue.  The top was a golden brown and kind of hard.  WONDERFUL!

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

My number one bestest pie is pizza pie.
There's a number two but I can't mention it on here, it's a family site.
Pies for dessert (in order)
Blueberry
Banana Cream
Dutch Apple (crumb top)
Apple
Coconut Cream
My Grammas or Moms Lemon Meringue.  The top was a golden brown and kind of hard.  WONDERFUL!
Um.....I was wondering when that would show up.  Revenge of the Nerds ring a bell with anyone besides me? LOLWink

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:11am

Well,,,I had been just kinda cruisein along readin all these entries and recipes and such,,,just lickin my chops and ,,,,,,,,and,,dreamin bout how I'm gonna make time to experiment with all these deleesh ment goodies,,,,and then ole Ted and ole TBone talks bout eatin some goodies thet can't be mentioned here,,,,,,,,,,,,and I AM INTERESTED in,,,,in,,,how to make it or eat some but not mentionable,,ummmmm,,what could that be,,,???Wink

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:33am
TUNA PIE

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: BillinAlberta
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:49am
Saskatoon Berry pie is first pick with Rhubarb Custard a close second

Posted By: Greg (Hillsboro, OH)
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 11:44am
TBone, was it Der Dutchman?   There was one in Waynesville, but it had a large kitchen fire and didn't rebuild.   I think there's one in Plain City, and one in Belleville on I-71 north of Columbus.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 12:58pm
Maybe Greg, but I sure didn't think so.  Was a long time ago, but we've been calling it that ever since.  Waynesville would be the right neck of the woods as I recall.  So that's probably it, or, it changed owners and altered the name since then perhaps.  This would have been 1989-90.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net