Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=165975
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 1:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 7G, hoping for the best
Posted By: DMiller
Subject: 7G, hoping for the best
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:05pm
Decided was time, brought Allis up from the barn and I believe the old gal is ready for surgery.
Multiple concerns to be address. First swap transmissions to the one I have resealed, finish out some small hydraulic lines changes, inspect the torque converter drive for the Trans pump and get as much right as possible. Validate that works well, next move to dropping hardnose, pull radiator, after inspect mounting points decide whether to install my spare or have this one cleaned, have new pivot bolts and sleeves for the hard nose as well going to install the one off the spare parts tractor(Sweeps cage will follow). To follow with rails off, get the tractor elevated, cribbed up satisfactorily and POSSIBLY drop right truck to access the sprocket and drive shaft that is wobbled to death. Will be dragging as many spares off the donor as get to the process including rails. Donor also has rail guides which will come off one way or another and be transplanted to my machine, all sprocket and idler guards are going BACK on. Additionally with hard nose off will be installing the Alternator I purchased some time back, already machined the mount from the donor to swing it in place of the generator, 24V but Neg. Grd. this time, will also get all new cabling for that install.
Have a decent straight hood off the donor with the hood mounted stack, will be rebuilding the exhaust elbow after the turbo and aligning to feed the exhaust up thru that style stack. Thinking 3" Pipe weld Short Radius 90 and see what I will need for pipe with flange to get the angles correct.   Should all these work out, may actually have a pretty sweet old loader.

Replies:
Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:08pm
Yikes ! Pretty big project there ! Keep us up to date and with pics !

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:25pm
Will be slow and methodical on these fixes, was busy trying to excavate and build a house for last set of repairs, now have some time and a decent shop to work in on it.

Posted By: NomoreJohnDeere
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:53pm
You're gonna have the nicest 7g around

-------------
HD3

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:35pm
It looks like you have removed the brush cab/Roll cage. I always liked to raise the loader arms and chain them up to the brush cab. It gives you a whole lot more room to work on the motor/ radiator. The last hd6g I had, I could not get the hinge bolts out of the hard nose. When you put the radiator back in, make double sure there are no loose parts left laying on top of or around the motor. Radiator cores are experience. Speaking from experience. Have fun with it. Bee careful.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:27am
Trans is coming out right off, could not have operator cover on it. May raise arms and situate across a channel iron on hard nose for the trans work. Will be receiving the hard nose and cage off my donor, be a little better with sweeps. And at least have two radiators, one from donor and the one in it. As to the hard nose bolts, Have replacements for those should I have to gas axe them.

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:38pm
Wow, you've got me worn out just reading about all the stuff you are going to do.  But, as someone said, you will have the nicest 7G around!  Have fun and be careful, a lot of those pieces are heavy.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 6:39am
DMiller,
 That sounds like a heck of a project. But with the right tools and equipment and your plan and a good donor you should be in good shape.
Looking forward to following along too.
 Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 6:23pm
Short work day today, all the retirees from my old Plant Crew had breakfast and Bull session, almost noon before home. Disassembly has begun. Loads of structural in the way now removed, next will be decel and brakes, hydraulics off converter.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 5:35pm
Decided today was a good day for work, so left the deer alone, have two days yet on firearms season.

So far:

Tomorrow will be a leave the machine go and go shoot Bambi, after which back to cleaning this up for reassemble. Once on the floor determined the same seals were blowing by as had been in the resealed trans, will see if I did any good on that.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 9:28pm
not many will take on something like this, even fewer know how all this stuff works

thanks for posting 

have you needed a magnet on a stick yet?

-------------
HD3

Posted By: pinball
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:33am
I was telling a friend about this. he asked me if there was any money to be made. I told him that wasn't the point to this fellow. he has planned this all out to do it some time in the future. he will get it done safely I hope. it will be a really nice crawler when he is done. when he starts it up and drives it out into the sun light for the first time there will be a big halo on top his head. he will smile ear to ear and be the proudest owner of an Allis in the world. my friend money cant buy that. Good luck and be safe.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:52am
Really a simple transmission, bronze friction discs hardly ever wear, separators are steel and show little wear, seals internally are oddball, if my magic concoction functions this trans should outlive the 344.

Lots of IFS MAYBES, but pretty well dotted the Is and Crossed the Ts to get this far, if anything can help the next jamoke that finds one of these still running yet weak.

Other than that is a Old Mechanic that is frustrated with new Sh!t that cannot be repaired, sees a little glimmer in a forty five year old machine that still works as hard as he does, just trying to extend that life so ever little bit.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:35am
Really slowed up, holidays and readying for MORE holidays have eaten my time up. Got the new trans oil delivered yesterday, am currently ordering small parts to fix matters exposed while trans is out, new starter cable went in yesterday as clamps had eroded thru old sheathing in multiple spots, just lucky no hard shorts yet. Replacement clamps for the cable are on the way and trying to locate appropriate boots for the brake linkages, so far not so well. Cleaning is ongoing, as well repaired seat base pivots and latch, cushion is out for mods, need to cut a sheet of plywood for a new seat back, maybe build arm cushion bases.

Posted By: Ian Beale
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:39am
Just remember

"Then there is hope.  But hope is not a strategy"  E.M. Smith

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:10pm
Trans is back in, photo does not show but have installed the trunnion and now allowing blood to travel other than to my head from standing on it setting that trunnion!! Tomorrow will try to finish up and test drive/leak check. May though not have a seat to set on as the seat cushions are at the upholsterer for repairs. I did get the pivot pin that normally breaks off repaired and the seat base repairs done so can adjust up or down.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:38pm
Moment of truth day, busted my hump and a few knuckles getting the machine functional enough to test operate and leak check. Filled trans oil and lit it up, sat a long time looking things over then cycled the range shifter seemed fine. Out of the shop Lo Forward was solid, shifted to Hi with a hesitation of some kind, then down the drive just looking it over. Stopped and slipped into lo reverse then stepped into hi reverse, all of a sudden stopped moving.

Sat and worked quadrant control, had Lo Reverse, locks up in Hi rev or any forward gear, something hard failed in box, backed all the way back up hill and into shop, still no leakage noted. At this point will replace seals in second trans, see what it feels like then swap back to it, will tear into this box once that one is confirmed functional.

Posted By: AC Mel
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:28pm
Ok...Love your project! We've finally got some rain to slow us down..so hoping to do some posts soon. Was going to appeal to you for some help on our 7G steering/brakes issue...sometime.  So totally unrelated to the current issue....we have always tried to check the backlash on the ring and pinion if we changed a transmission like this...or if we had to do the bearings in the ring gear.  In the big scheme of things it might not be that important?

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:23am
Not too important but also part of requirements in a change out. Was within spec when pulled this trans and installed the donor back a few years ago. Did not have Lo Rev when pulled this one where suspected was just the seals but am scratching head on this currently as to the jam up.

Steering on these is rough if keep the boost up on the brakes, my own is backed nearly full off on suggestion form Down Under and helped. Are you getting clutch disengage? Are the brakes up on adjust? Tighten snug then back off two full turns otherwise will drag and heat up and yes pedal will be close to floor on apply. Seems pedal stroke was for prior style machines and the boosted power steering just got added on.   Brakes and hand clutches work from the same pump, under the injection pump as I am certain you are aware.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:29pm
Just NOT a good week. Got final bill in mail for Hearing Aids, went to get 180 to move trans for cleaning and NO Start, batteries or connections(Suspect Batteries as are 5 years installed) got trans washed off SOME, not pristine but chunks are off and back in shed drying off. Used our little Deere Riding mower with a loader to move it, Did NOT really like that much weight swinging out front!!

Wish I had a better note of what is coming, but the transmissions have to swap Yet again.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 4:43pm
Trans number Two

Got it arranged for tear down and managed to get Upper Shaft apart to reseal it. Will reassemble that one in AM and them reseal Lower, the two done then will clean up case and end plate begin reassemble.

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 6:04pm
Shafts resealed back in and face plate back in place, had to stop as the local that rebuilt my seat and arm rests was done, needed them out of his way.

Next up is resealing the Collector Heads and cleaning up the Input shaft assembly. Upright then start pulling trans OUT.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 5:50pm
Well is back together, time to sweep up and start pulling the failed box. Already have the system drained.

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:15pm
Looking good ! Where do you get Work Horse oil at ? Heard good things about it, is it considered a replacement just for crawlers or AC 821 ?

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:27pm
Is now the MFA Brand. Been very satisfied with their products at least in this AC

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 5:13pm
Boxes are swapped, hung in reverse is on the floor and the other hanging on four bolts for now. First thing noticed of the pulled box, Input retainer bolt(Loctited) backed out near to a half inch, no reason to do so as nothing counter rotating inside the yoke. I set that bolt an hour before placement this last time. Not worrying of it for now, have a starter should be delivered this evening for the 180.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:23pm
Sounds like you might have a gremlin around your place!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:52pm
Full moon, threat of bad weather, just got started on 7G, then starter, almost afraid to try any other machines currently!! Friends are seeing same sort of FUBAR results in their ops, may just be a run of Bad Luck sorting thru but Gremlins I am NOT ruling out.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 4:01pm
At least the 180 is back up and Kicking(KNOCKING hard on my wooden head). Replacement starter arrived last night, wife had Doc and store run this morning so I went along(Lumper), got home and installed starter. Also started charging batteries, first one was low at 12.6 but charged right nice to 13.2 when done, second one NOT so good and likely the cause of starter winding over amp cook off. Started out 12.0, was on charge about half an hour and bumping 13.2 when the charger went to safe shut down, voltage dropped to 9.7, bad cell. BACK to auto parts store, replaced that one and all is good.

Got back blade on for "Pretty" duty(Darn Shameless and that Machine) are predicted for anywhere from 3-6" of the White Stuff Sunday into Monday.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:48pm
Also, today is Friday the 13th!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:41am
JohnCo, did anything ever happen with that 7G up at Grand Lake? Somebody finally drag it off to the scrapper?

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:00pm
I don't know.  Orange blood went up and looked at it but I think he thought it was not worth the work involved in getting it out of the site.  More then likely it is still there unless a local guy with the right machinery got it. Seem to remember it was missing some parts.
BTW, I just looked up Orange Blood, he hasn't been on since Oct 31, hope is is OK.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 2:55pm
Well success. Short test run, has all ranges F & R, no leaks noted but not run all that long, Lunch Date with Wife!!

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 6:46pm
Merry Christmas from you to you

-------------
HD3

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 6:58pm
Thanks, Needed this!!

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 2:33am
When does the post mortem start on the other transmission?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 9:26am
After I complete the work already started. Rails, Exhaust, Cage, Radiator. By the Brass/Bronze in drain oil was a Clutch pack or a Bushing/Thrust washer.

Posted By: HD6 Merv
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 11:05am
Good to see you got her going Dave. And hopefully she works ok for you now. Interesting that it has the shifter just like a HD11EP. Totally different to a HD6EP which is same transmission as yours. On a 6EP shifter works in a straight line  2F  1F  N  1R  2R
Anyhow is time for some family time now.
Quite enjoy reading your posts; Safe and merry christmas to you and yours.
Cheers from the bottom of the world
Merv

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 1:20pm
Ian and Merv, I feel HONORED, you guys just don't pop in as used to.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 8:55pm
DMiller

Has something to do with droughts

Merry Xmas to all

And check the photo

“Same guy must have fabricated the impeachment charges? ”

In comments at

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/126475-awesome-fabricator/?tab=comments#comment-1367019" rel="nofollow - https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/126475-awesome-fabricator/?tab=comments#comment-1367019

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 10:18am
Have seen as bad, are some do not deserve the tools!! Any hope on exit from your weather Ian? Prayers for all concerned.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 12:00pm
Hi Dave; yeah summertime down bottom of world so weve all been working trying to make a $$ to carry us through the winter !
Same with MacTractor; we are in same town. Hes been driving tractors for a ag contracting mate. Ive been driving a digger and bulldozer for a quarrying mate.
Also i spend abit of time on facebook. Is ALOT of machinery sites on there, and alot of people like us there.  Favorite one. . . Allis Chalmers crawler tractors.  Look it up, lots of storys and pics there.  Same with IH crawlers.
Cheers to all.  Merv

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 2:09pm
Merry Christmas to All of you as well. Will have to look up the Faceplant sites!!

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 12:27am
Merv, whats a digger?  A wheel loader or excavator (track hoe)?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:42am
Diggers is the southern hemisphere terminology for tracked excavators.; or your tracked hoes.  Hoes is a word 'never' used here; as its a word usually refered to males who have 'gone to the dark side of the force' ! ! 
Diggers are super super popular down here as they are the most common earthmoving machine by far. Everything from 1.7 tons to 40 tonners  [metric tons 1000kg not your short tons]
 are very common. Is bigger ones around 40 to 100 tons but they usually peramently live in mines or quarrys.   Was even a Hitachi Ex3500 in nz 350 tons.
I have never gone down the digger road; as all my other earthmoving mates own them. I just stuck to bulldozers and towed scoops. As i prefered to work with them not against them. They compliment each other diggers and dozers. Digger can reach up high and pull dirt down. Bulldozer can push it away to fills, and compact it while doing it.
All my terrain is all very hilly and steep.
Have spent 30 odd years around diggers so can operate them fairly well.  So get alot of work from mates driving theirs; when my bulldozing work is quiet.
Cheers boys. Christmas day here today; we are a day ahead of you guys in the northern hemisphere; so best i go to start cookn my ham !

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Posted By: Mactractor
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 3:15pm
Just to add to the confusion John, down here, war veterans involved in trench warfare were also known as 'diggers'. Also with that title were people who earned a living digging up bits of solidified gum from swampland from a species of pine around a hundred years ago. Merry Christmas to all.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 5:22pm
Merry Christmas to All!

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 8:15pm
Thanks for the info!  In this part of the world,Hoe's, spelled Ho's are women who make their living at the worlds first profession (not farming) LOL
Merry Christmas a few hours late!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 5:25pm
Went to barn while sunny and warm, dragged out, rolled and hauled the rails to the Shop. Donor is starting to get Skimpy as to snatch-ables. Rail stone guards will come off tomorrow.

My pickup was NOT a happy camper, nor the 180 for loading them. Best can tell and remeasured today is shoes are Crap but will do, rails measure New, look almost new. Lower rollers on trucks may be one or two can raid for spares.

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 5:30pm
S/N of running machine 24475, verified with Mirror over the rear counterweight. S/N of donor 100 lower, 24375

Posted By: Mactractor
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 2:23am
Thanks for the progress reports Dave. Good suspension in your F250. Don't look sagged with them track rail and shoe assemblies aboard! Impressive.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 8:51am
Put new springs under a few years ago as had a few busted leaves(NOT that I would EVER Overload it!!), seems it stands as a 350 height wise, just no cab marker lights to show that consideration. It is 20 now, and getting tired also Salt Cancer has arrived en'mas, will not be long before has to Go Away.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 2:15pm
Holidays getting away so spent a little more time on the Donor, snagged the rail guards off yesterday, have the brackets to add them onto the runner, need to see if can get the bolt holes cleared on the runner roller retainer blocks to add the mid rail guards. Went out this morning block the lift arms, rolled the hard nose pulled the generator and good timing as bearings shot, modified bracket and alternator should work fine, just have to Coil the mount holes in the block, lower 1/3 of radiator is darn near solid and good timing to drag it out as well. Drain and pull it next to hack away the loose eroded nose pivot bolts.

What is it with the old guys, the hard nose bolts are supposed to have a tapered washer inside the frame, must have been too much to ask to put them back in when had hard nose off long ago, both the donor and the runner they were missing.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:24pm
WAY Worse looking once out, currently fan hub and idler are off to locate excessive end play(over 1/8" on fan hub. Close to three gallon bucket of garbage from behind chin region, needed that out to hack on the nose pivot bolts.

Posted By: jerbob
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:35pm
Congratulations on the great project. I am in awe of the talent involved in a project in this much detail. thank you for sharing the timeline of the project. My repairs on my HD16DC have not been just cosmetic but nothing internal on tranny or engine.

Tracks, final drives, track adjusters, electrical, seats, linkages and gauges along with a 100 small leaks sealed or in process of sealing. Love every minute of working on my girl.

Keep up the great work. Wishing everyone a Safe, Healthy and Happy New Years.

Work safe as no one wants to hear of anyone getting hurt.

-------------
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:36pm
Going to add some drain holes in that chin region, no reason cannot have them even as is welded support structure, trying to minimize the level of buildup crap in there.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 12:26pm
Very productive morning. Managed to remove the fan hub end cap(Like a frost plug) and not destroy it, got the hub disassembled and awaiting bearings, had to mine for gold there too to find the lock bail of the rear retainer, The Cork seal may become a issue to locate something compatible to exchange with.
Got all aligned yesterday with a exchange O2 tank to hack the hard nose pivot bolts, five or six years back tried to loosen or tighten these and would NOT move, today while rotating the bolts to clean off oily dirt the Right nut moved, came away easily, performed same on Left, magically they both came out, hardnose on the floor. Have parts coming from Minnpar so all ahead stop until those arrive and then will take down some more. Located two small fuel leaks, on the return jumper Inj pump to Filter head, should have grommets somewhere in my tool box for that style.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 6:48pm
More progress!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 11:46am
Also found part of the cause for oily buildup, fuel return line end grommets done, leaking ever so slightly but in multiple points so leaving a drizzle to adhere dirt. Parts coming for those too.

Managed to offload all the tinwork sitting on my trailer, old hardnose outside, replacement off donor in shop awaiting some heli-coils and cleanup.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 5:31pm
Run around day, chase this, look for that, get home to neighbor needing a rusted out gate patched(Tube type), used some leftover gauge steel off the grain body rebuild and had him gone in a hour. Then found this. was on the phone and on the PMs to see what can get to replace.

Dr Allis was informative as was All States Ag Parts tech Travis. NOT a direct match but a defined better way to go that I am currently at.

Saw it as was sizing up replacing the exhaust elbow that someone in the past fabricobbled from a piece of square and a piece of round pipe.

Old one is a T0448, HORRIBLY out dated and obsolete by Garrett, replacement is actually for a 3500 series engine and a T04B80. Turbo coming from All States Ag parts, elbow repair pieces from my steel supplier.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 8:19pm
One thing always leads to another
Great effort and thanks for posting

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/hvo/d/dillsboro-allis-chalmers/7031120433.html" rel="nofollow - https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/hvo/d/dillsboro-allis-chalmers/7031120433.html

-------------
HD3

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 7:41am
Trans is problematic but doable with the seals I came up with, clutch discs are still out there as well, small internal parts not so much so. Running, able to load just difficult to offload only worth a grand or two especially is rails are as weak as appear.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 11:14am
Doc Allis has warned me it will likely be gutless with the replacement turbo, out of options as nothing else out there. Already receiving No Have responses from HE Salvage yards, General Gear was first, so far have six No can do's.

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 11:29am
i dont know what your looking at cost wise but i dont think it would be too difficult for a turbo shop to put something together to fit this application.  plethora of options out there for truck turbos with compressor and turbine sizes,  but i will keep this in mind for my grader with 7000 engine

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 2:24pm
Biggest problem is exhaust housing is Done. No metal left in it so the T04B is a best or logical choice to build from, new housings, maybe impeller changes will be all that is required. The exhaust impeller on the T0448 is trash, at least 1/3 eroded away. Already talking to a few people that deal with the builds. Could possibly build a cartridge to fit the new housings. Only $400 and change so far getting this AllStatesAg unit, will see from where that takes me. It is supposed to Fit D19 and Up which the D19 had the least displacement/hp. Supposedly replaces Turbo 74024238

Engines: D262, D2800, D2900, D3400 (1980-2013)

https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/turbocharger-new-allis-chalmers-74008894-gleaner-100543.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/turbocharger-new-allis-chalmers-74008894-gleaner-100543.html

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 5:53pm
Dave, look around your area for someone who does spray welding, it should be fixable...Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 5:14pm
Replacement arrived, made or at least tested UK:

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:16pm
I got that same brand for my Cat powered Freightliner, still working fine after a year plus.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:18am
HOOWEE what a mess. Got the rusted away retainer nuts off and removed the turbo and home made elbow, clocked up the replacement.

No changes needed for Oil Feed or Drain, all hose connections same. Do need to get replacement nuts and a outlet Flange Gasket. Steel parts for new elbow already ordered.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 2:38pm
Turbo is fully bolted down, connected to Intake but still covered on intake side, will not oil it up until get ready to start the engine. Checked with suppliers, pieces are all going to arrive around the 16th. Only trivial little stuff until then so taking a break.

Posted By: Lazyts
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 2:27pm
Not sure if you found all the parts for the fan assembly yet or not?  There's a guy on eBay - Mike's garage sale, who has all the fan assembly parts including the foam seal listed- it's the same as on the 11000 engines.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 2:52pm
Got them from him, thanks. Saw the parts on Flea bay!! He was out of the seals for now but Minnpar came up with the Cork. Thanks for thinking of me. Bearings also cross to a 206WB and 205BB for AC Systems. Was oiling the turbo prior to buttoning up fittings, did not like the way the old grommet crimping nut tightened down. Thinking might change to conventional hoses. Parts should be meandering in for rest of next week, slowly will reconnect the dots,

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:48pm
Chalk up MORE lost time to Fedex. Working on the replacement elbow in the shop get a Fedex notice Pkg Delivered. Did NOT hear a truck, go out to drive, NO truck tracks, look on house porch, No package so to the CONTACT Fedex page, get the Electronic POS, takes fifteen minutes to get a human. That gets a Lost Package notice to the Driver and says to expect a call in under two hours. Well two came and went, then two and a half woman from TN calls as to verification the package did not arrive, asks house color, style and landmarks to send to driver, rechecks address, makes sure I was home at time of reported delivery etc. Then lets me know may take as long as to Thursday to POTENTIALLY Locate the package IF it was delivered in err somewhere else, notates these are specialized parts hard to come by to the report going to the driver as if that person really gives a rat's butt they misdelivered.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:57pm
Driver practicing for a government job?

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:24pm
Figuring they got launched to a dumpster as did not want to Find our place, does not come up on Google Maps. He or She has no clue what they lost/threw away. One can only hope they have no job after this.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:56am
A friend of mine lives on the corner of two major county roads, his mailbox is across the road from his house (the only house on that side of the road for over a  mile).  He has gotten 5 calls from Amazon trying to find his house.  After telling them 5 times "The house is across the road from the mailbox", he no longer buys anything from Amazon.  The house is less then 100 feet from the road with no trees blocking the view of it!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:16am
OuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuch

-------------

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:43am
That Turbo produces a whistle that is pretty loud as my 190XT can attest.... 
Good power but wear ear pro

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:18am
May not ever hear it run.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:45pm
Well got madder this morning, spent HOURS on the phone and Computer trying to locate TWO seemingly inconsequential parts, N/A or On Hand "0" kept coming back. So called Fedfks, REALLY livid, got hot tater passed THREE times until Heather caught my GROWING Ire. She busted her butt to get the Local District Manager to get with the delivery driver and Ride with that person to figure out WHERE these parts went. Past noon and still nothing around 1-1:30 checked for mail NADA as have MORE other crap coming, goes past 3, wife comes home FEDEX Box got put in Mailbox in Front of our other mail.

Then notice THREE Fedex vans running like stray cats all OVER the area, stopping conversing, something has been afoot and likely MORE than just my stuff.

ALL the small parts were in the box and OK, so have a LOT to catch up with next few days.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:58am
catastrophe averted.  ClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:06am
This time!!

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:47pm
Got more assembled and installed today, may have been a better option to pull oil cooler bundles than wp housing, BEAR to get back on. As to exhaust did not complete, the 3" 90 I bought covers up the bolt holes so that will not work. Anyone here seen the inside of a 190XT turbo elbow? Will 2" be too restrictive at the turbo exhaust to elbow it up? This model tractor did have a "Aspirator" for the Air filter that was reduced to around 2" on the exhaust.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:35pm
Spoke with Dr Allis Got the info aligned and parts coming. Going 2.5" at least until after makes turn. As of today:

Not the cleanest hog at the trough but closing in and will get a bath next warmup AFTER exhaust is plumbed up.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 2:30pm
Now it has Exhaust to at least the Hood. Once get the Hard nose on can see how well it aligns to the Hood hole pipe. Will finish the weld of the short pipe then.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:19pm
Great job on the exhaust. Now she can inhale and exhale.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:04pm
Pretty much and better than that old slobbered up mess that was on it. Hood off donor is near to straight, will be the unit going back on it.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:49pm
Hard nose hung today, got the hood to stack fit inspected and finished that welding. Radiator went back in, all coolant hoses done, lit it off. Does not squall from turbo but not black stacking either so believe this will do for my machine, alternator is charging, need to await a few warmer days and wash the engine area. Then have the engine belly pan to rehab, hang hood and start on the UC work.

https://youtu.be/K72-m35dEnE" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/K72-m35dEnE

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Hard nose hung today, got the hood to stack fit inspected and finished that welding. Radiator went back in, all coolant hoses done, lit it off. Does not squall from turbo but not black stacking either so believe this will do for my machine, alternator is charging, need to await a few warmer days and wash the engine area. Then have the engine belly pan to rehab, hang hood and start on the UC work.

https://youtu.be/K72-m35dEnE" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/K72-m35dEnE

You’re lining it! Nicely done.!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:05pm
Unblocked lift arms, set them down to rest, sat hood then the old short upper stack, typical of the breed the hood is short now as the dash are does no bolt in where used to and the pivot points for hard nose are worn, allows to shift forward. May end up making a Modification to keep the hood down in front. Exhaust lines up fine off the turbo where the old gal seems to be accepting the attention, L floor panel was missing a bolting ear so that got repaired too. All filters are replaced now, the fluids all full and just awaiting Warm Weather to pressure wash, will haul the Radiator spare valve cover and engine belly pan to car wash for deeper cleaning.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:57am
Had a little time yesterday morning, as my car was getting transmission lines changed(Special Tool I will NOT buy) and seeing as the stack is Not 4" but 4.250 ID decided to see if could salvage the OE Unit. Knocked the dents and dings out then set it and got to constructing a New Clamp. Simple structure just galvanized 1" strap 1/8" material. PI R Squared (Round if you like Pie) added a Inch for each end then added .250 for a Ear on one end and drilled the 3/8" hole then folded and proceeded to hand roll until fit. Minor tweaks and VOILA!

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 3:34pm
Nice looking 

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 2:28pm
And another days worth. Local Carwash at Sunrise, cleaned Valve Cover, Belly Pan, then pulled radiator. It lost at LEAST 40# yet still not clean enough just easier to handle. MORE Diesel and then MORE Soap and Water!! Later.

Valve cover swap out completed, Belly pan surgery well under way. Yesterday got wash HERE completed then installed Grill and Chin.

Still have to add bolting straps and straighten the access cover but gets closer

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 1:26pm
Final result on Belly pan looks decent. Then got busy set old monster on stands, Rear is on a 19" tall section of 8" Square Pipe, 1/4" wall, may as yet raise nose a little more. For now rails are off, ground out the welds where I had secured the old Master pins, eyes just so beaten out would not hold further, Measure 28.600+/- a little across four links, essentially 90% done and done in, bushings to sprocket not worn bad just pin to bushing and REALLY Snaky. One choice bit to try is removal of right truck to replace the right final shaft and sprocket, last roller is a interference mount to sprocket so cannot just cut away the tail of truck to weld back on. All rollers look and feel good, Idlers roll smooth and no noises.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 2:23pm
Wow what a job. You are digging right in and getting her done. Great Work. Thank you for sharing.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 11:26am
SNAKE!!!

Darn near to the point of dropping the truck assembly, Nut is off, all but one and previously loosened cross bar bolt are out and only lack pulling loader frame bolt and four bolts retaining rear truck arm bushing to lower it to the ground. Buddy and I spoke, he is going to lend me a 60T hollow piston hydraulic cylinder, will make a stud for pulling, 1.250 12 tpi unknown length until get Cylinder and build a stand off pipe section.

With that need to get track adjuster seals and set these up

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:19am
Chalk another win up to the 7G, 30T on a hand made pulling stud, stud hanging right in there and ZERO movement even heated then Massaged with a 10#, NADA.

Reverting to the cut and weld method, Hate to even think of it but then gotta do what gotta do and this final HAS to come out.

Got One rail out of the way, palletized for later movement, and got the rear roller out of the way for hacking the truck tail off. Chalk mark is centerline of Truck roller bolting just reference.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 7:11am
Ugly day yesterday, went to hacking on the truck frame. Once apart confirming there was good reason to be repairing this as was Not going to make it much longer.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:40pm
Is your spare in better shape?

-------------
HD3

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 10:37am
Actually have access to three shaft/sprocket assemblies. One I bought from Chartrand in IL years ago, been sitting awaiting this time, then ended up purchasing the Donor both rear shafts are still in it. Sprockets are all three slim and pointy where even as notched the ring off my tractor is in better shape.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net