Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=164203
Printed Date: 07 May 2024 at 12:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tomorrows plan
Posted By: 200Tom1
Subject: Tomorrows plan
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:20pm
Got rained out today. Gonna start sanding on her trailer again tomorrow. I've got the decals off the tail gate, still need more sanding. I got a bigger nozzell for my sand blaster, I hope it works without plugging up. The guys told me I wanted Black Diamond sand/coal dust but its too big to go thru the nozzle that came with the machine. The guys in church told me sillica sand was finer than Black Diamond. I will attempt to do the wheels and front frame. Bought a gallon of lacquer thinner to take the glue residue off. I havn't painted anything in 20 years. I hope most of it comes back to me today.
    Grandson got his Kawasaki 400 Bayou running today.   Sure is nice that has got an uncle that could be a great mechanic. At least its got a muffler on it. So no loud noise in the neighbor hood. Sorta proud of him taking on a project with no hands on experience. Picked the last of the late sweet corning the rain this afternoon. Stuffsure is good. Old gal and grandson are cleaning out the deep freeze now. Looks like it'll be bagged up and in the freezer in the morning.

Replies:
Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:41pm
maybe can use baking soda thru that blaster? I waited for the rain today and you dun stole it from me! PffffT!

Posted By: Dakota Dave
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:58pm
If there humidity in the air you'll have trouble sand clogs in the blaster nozzle. Keep your sand very dry. Good luck

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 11:09pm
what kinda trailer you buy?

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:09am

TOM,,,Be Careful!!!! Silica sand is very agressive in cutting and lasts longer than any of the other media,,,BUT,,,IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to your respiratory system,,!!  You must wear an approved respirator else that chit be in your lungs before quick can get ready,,,and,,,and,,,calif says it is carcinogenic,,so,,be careful,,OK,,??

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:16am
DJ beat me to it on the Silica.  That stuff will permanently do your lungs in.

Them cheapo nozzles that I get from Harbor Freight passes the Black Diamond OK, but ya got to find a system that produces dry air if possible.

My concocted System is that I found an additional 60 gallon air tank and put it in the system.  So the compressed air from the 60 gal tank under the compressor flows to the bottom of the second 60, out the top, through a filter and drier and out to the blaster.

Posted By: 200Tom1
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:03pm
Shameless. This one is a 16' enclosed trailer with a toy hauler rear door. Walk in door on the right front corner. It has a generator, heater, air conditioner already built in. BUT the previous owner was a young lady that gave professional massages.   Her phone number and name are all over the sides and tailgate. Old gal has me taking that stuff off. Its been on there a long time and is coming off hard. I have worn out 1 of the 3M decal erasures on the tail gate. Got 3 more ordered. Rained off and on all day today and it is sitting outside on the cement. Hope I can get it all sanded down tomorrow. Guys I do have the proper respirator for sand blasting, thank you for being concerned enough to remind me. Now I gotta convert it into another camping trailer. I wish she'd stop getting these dad ratted ideas.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:01am
dang...and I spose she didn't let you try it out before ya bought it did she? you sure ya can't just paint over it? orange covers a lot you know!

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:40am
Try a hair dryer on those decals. Warm em up enough to soften and may pull off easier

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:55pm
Baking soda make the best media for blasting No need to tape of the chrome windows, headlights etc. Washes right off and ready to paint. And I always recommend using a sealer so you won't have die back and your finish go dull.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net