Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=162943
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New wd45
Posted By: ryanschott
Subject: New wd45
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:23pm
Got my wd45 I lost at the auction back in November the man who out bid me and lost interest put it on the trailer and sat there until now. Took off and sold loader and the other bad thing was told that the trans and rear end where seized up but it was both brakes froze up the trains and rear are of the cleanest I’ve ever seen. Motor on the other hand is wow bad so as soon as a get a couple extra bucks I’ll get new sleeves and pistons. Reason I wanted this tractor so bad is the backstory. The coolest thing that not many tractors have is the complete history from new. This 1954 wd45 was bought new late summer of 1954 in Yale Michigan at tenniswood equipment. The original owner had a chopper that him and a neighbor bought and his John Deere b and the neighbors framall h couldn’t run it good enough. So the owner to a trip to Yale and they had this in the showroom and he told them to bring it out and if it would run the chopper he’d take it. His son said it came about dinner time and the salesman told him to eat dinner he would hook it up and adjust everything and have it ready when he was done. It was awesome and it stayed on the same farm in avoca mi until now. It was rebuilt in the 1970s and was given d17 engine upgrade then I was told. But not used to much after that. It had sat in the bushes completely covered from the late 90s till now. I’m going to stop and visit next week and see if I can find out any more info on the tractor from it’s work days. But I do know it will be getting a new rebuild and will run for the first time in 20 years. And next year will get some nice new paint.

Replies:
Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:39pm
Given a "D-17 engine upgrade" is interesting. Those look like WD-45 pistons to me unless they are 4 1/8" bore. A D-17 gas engine as-is will not fit in a WD-45. The water pump and crankshaft pulley have to be changed, along with the flywheel and clutch assembly.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:45pm
The pistons have a smooth easy bowl not like the wd45 where there is a large around outside of piston then drops off deep fast. These drop of right away but are gradual like lenses for glasses

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:46pm
Not deep either so I assume that would raise compression and give you more hp

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:55pm
WD-45's are a smooth "cereal bowl" design. The D-17's were a flat bottom with a thick ring around the outside. Are they 4 inch ?? or 4 1/8" ?

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:03pm
I will have to measure at work right now but ya I would say cereal bowl.

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:56pm
ryanscott,
Congratulations on the 45. I am haveing fun with mine and glad I went through the tractor. I will be watching! Thanks for the pictures too. Give us a good idea what our starting with.
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:55pm
Oh boy - another 38 page thread???!!? Go for it, ryanschott. LOL

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:46pm
Maybe a case of not remembering or someone got ripped off but as drallis says it looks to be regular wd45 motor stuff and it is a 4 inch bore

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:49pm
But I learned some stuff today I once had a wd45 that had the deep bowl pistons and I thought that was what a wd45 was supposed to have but I see now that the 45 has the easy slope pistons

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:59pm
The original design of the famous "Power Crater" bowls in the WD-45 were the smooth cereal bowl dish design. When the D-17 came along they redesigned the bowl to be flat on the bottom and the ring design on top.  There have been after-market pistons made with the smooth cereal bowl design, but they are usually 4 1/8" bore.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:02am
Could they have changed the Governor some with springs to rev higher and give it d17 power

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:04am
This might become a big thread sugarmaker cause I do want to do a complete resto on this tractor. I usually like the old patina but this would look better all new. Nice thing the sheet metal is real good.

Posted By: frnkeore
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 2:05am
That's a great history, Ryan. I wish those things could be passed with on with tractors. At least the farms and years they were in service, at the locations.

My grandfather had to give up his 80 ac farm, in 1959, because of a energy and I'd love to find his tractor.

I think the history of tractors is very interesting.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

-------------
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:06am
Ryan,
This would be a great project tractor. I was happy to be able to find the parts I needed to get mine back together. A comment which seems trivial is to mark. tag/ bag/ all the hardware as removed. Even better is to take the extra time to actually clean the hardware and prep for paint. It will pay big dividends when final assembly comes along. 

Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: ac fleet
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:45am
Your piston top looks exactly like the ones in one of my stuck 45's.

-------------
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:05pm
Mines not stuck anymore knocked out sleeves and pistons today no cracks between the cylinders

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:00pm
Progress already!

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:43pm
Ryan,
Good job getting the pistons and sleeves out!
Regards,
 Chris                                                                                                                                                                         

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:37pm
Just need to save up some money now. On amazon there is a piston and sleeve kit for $250 from reliable aftermarket parts. I have bought stuff from them in the past. Just need to find some nice but cheap rings.

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 1:06am
Looks good!  To bad you had to take away the storage for the acorns of some critter.Smile

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:36am
Are you sure the piston and sleeve kit comes without rings? That seems real odd to me that a kit like that would only have 2 of the 3 things needed. I'd check that kit again a little closer as you wouldn't need 2 sets of rings.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: exSW
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by ryanschott ryanschott wrote:

Just need to save up some money now. On amazon there is a piston and sleeve kit for $250 from reliable aftermarket parts. I have bought stuff from them in the past. Just need to find some nice but cheap rings.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/dandrikop?_trksid=p2047675.l2559" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/usr/dandrikop?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Might try this guy for rings. All quality parts. Excellent service. And yep he's in Greece. You may have to search by actual ring dimensions instead of application.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:17am
Have bought a few kits and no rings but there is some that have everything also

Posted By: exSW
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:26am
All rings are not the same. You can take a cheaper kit and clean off the flash and balence out the piston weights. But cheap rings will still do you in.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:28am
Have to go talk to my local machine shop have got rings there in the past that are name brand and a little cheaper then on amazon. Maybe even get everything else there to. Felpro head gasket too.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:35am
Plus support local business doesn’t hurt either

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 8:42am
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 11:21am
Talked to the original owners son last night he said that his dad had seen the tractor earlier in the month and talked to the dealer and dealer wanted him to test it out but he didn’t need a new one. But when the John Deere b quit and had no choice his dad called the dealer up and told him to bring one out. Dealer said that he had one that he had been demonstrating with and the new one in the showroom. The dad said to bring the showroom one cause if it would run the chopper it would not be going back. And stayed ever since. He did again say that it was in the 70s sent to the dealer in Sandusky to be rebuilt and he said it was given a d17 kit when rebuilt. But as I’ve been shown it looks like normal wd45 motor parts. Unless governor maybe messed with to run faster maybe? Will have to check more on that. Shortly after that it got its loader a plow and a blade bought for it. The chopper was never used after that year and sold which was the reason for the purchase of the tractor in the first place.

Posted By: TimCNY
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 6:32pm
Huh, and I always thought it was only doctors and septic tank installers that got to bury their mistakes... I guess they could've told him anything, knowing that it'd be a long time before anyone tore into the engine again.

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:08pm
Check the measurement from piston top to center of wrist pin and compare to stock pistons. Someone should have dimension of stock pistons. Could be higher compression than original and still stock bore..... though I've never seen that type of kit myself.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 3:32am
Cleaned up a bunch of parts like the oil pan and rods and a few other parts on the motor. Been working a lot of overtime so hopefully in next couple weeks I’ll be getting the pistons and sleeves. The $250 set on amazon is now $450so have been looking at a couple other piston sets. When I do get this back together is there a way to prime the oil system. Getting kind of excited to hear this tractor run. Took out the cloride out the tire since was leaking all over my barn and put in a new valve stem. But will need a new rim when I restore it cause the one is beyond the point of saving. Other rim is loaded and is spotless rust free. That too will get emptied.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 3:40am
Also going to send head out to get cleaned. Looks like some one has been here before and put new seats in a few places I too will need some new seats on a couple. Also going to have him deck head just a little to clean up and make sure it’s straight. Valves don’t look too bad so going to let them ride. Don’t know if I said earlier but was told that it was rebuilt in the 70s and the bearings have 7 76 stamped in them.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 3:45am
In first pic the exhaust valve looks sunken are they all like that or has it been replaced. Has anybody ever port and polished heads before or is it so slow reving that won’t make difference

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:37am
Not worth the time and effort. Your mind will be convinced it runs "better", but only a dyno test before and after the porting and polishing would tell you for sure.

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 10:13am
I was thinking the seats were a bit short like show and staked around OD to hold them in place.....not certain but know they need staked.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:56pm
Just got head back from machine shop. Checked out good and he shot peened it and cleaned up good with some new seats and grounds the rest. Now have to seat the valves and put back together. Is very nice almost like new was lots of rust and crap. Now just need to find some money for the pistons and sleeves.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 7:12pm
ryan,
Looks good! Your on your way. Looking foward to your updates on the 45.
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 12:04pm
Just order the piston sleeves and ring kit so should have some more work getting done on this. Kind of sucks cause it’s getting cold out so have to fill up the heater. Also does anyone have two nice used exhaust valves they wouldn’t mind parting with. Just need those and head will be back together. Maybe will have running this year.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 5:40pm
Ryanscott,
 Good progress! You will be happy with the rebuilt engine!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Posted By: savedallis1953
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:04pm
About 18 years ago I acquired a 1938 unstyled WC with a 6' side mount sickle mower. From the state of Delaware. Did a "field rebuild" i.e. lapped the valves and honed the cylinders w pistons in place. No spark from the mag so put a battery n points ign. in her. Ran great. My 28 year old friend has it now and still running, he's hooked.

-------------
1953 WD, 1953 WD, WD engine with WD-45 crankshaft.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 7:43pm

Ok progress is coming now got the sleeves and pistons in and hopefully tomorrow will have the pan on might be next week but should be done with the head and put that on. A little setback is the gas tank had some rust in it so took of to dip and clean and when I first looked in it now out in light there lots of vent holes on the bottom so not sure if I’ll will put patch on the bottom and line or buy another tank. Still also on the fence is 6v or 12 v the generator looks nice but all the wireing is junk and coil looks bad too so am leaning towards 12v. Also other motors I have done in the past the pistons seem to come almost flush with the top but these are as high as they go in the pics. All in all it went together very good and feels good. Used assembly lube on this motor i like it better then just oil. Am very pleased with the progress so far

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 9:50pm
Don't have much experience with these engines so I can't say if piston height is weird or not. Does seem a little low. Where'd they come from and whats' advertised C/R? Overbore or STD?

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 2:27pm
4 1/8 bore not sure on ratio. Can’t wait to hear it run

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 2:47pm
Were the other engines with chambers in the head or were they flat like this engines head is...?
 Looks about right for piston height, but, if you put WD pistons in that WD45 crank... you will be high compressioned.  Shocked  Pullin tractor timeLOL
 and just buy 4 new exhaust valves and put in.

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 3:03pm
Just a lot off b or c motors seems like those pistons come right to the very top. Haven’t done a 226 motor in awhile and can’t remember must be getting old.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 6:20pm
Well ordered a 12v coil so I guess it’s going that way. What is easiest and cheapest to use for a alternator there used to be a small parts store that closed up near me I would get alternators for $35. But that was 10 years ago

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 7:23pm
Ryan,
I dont think you will regret going to 12 volt system. I like the way they start.
On the piston dimension below the deck IIRC that 1/2 inch sounds about right.
Here is a example of a WD45 I did last spring.

Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 3:13pm

Got time to work on it today I now have an oil pan on it now. Looks like it went on good thanks to using those clips. I had never seen those before worked awesome. Also no swearing so must have been good. Also put all new guts in the distributor so that’s ready. I do need new plug wires cause they look kind of crappy. Have two more valves to do and I can put the head on. Got a bunch of odds and ends like fittings for oil line was bad and one got smashed. Want to also paint the head and valve cover. This week when I get paid I found a nice gas tank on eBay I like so just going to do that instead of messing with the rusty tank. Still a lot before it can run and use it. I need to completely rewrite it. Need a alternator and I’m sure a few other things. The pivot on the hand clutch is so rusty it barely moves so that needs attention also. But getting there. maybe this month I’ll rig up at battery and get it to just run.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 3:06pm
Any way to prime oil system so it’s pumping the second it starts or does it usually prime pretty quick

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm
Leave the spark plugs out and crank it with the starter and a battery charger. don't overheat the starter.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:32am
Got the head on and rocker arms bolted down. Now need to set the rocker clearance and can finish up the motor. Found out the gas line is plugged solid with who knows what. Air wouldn’t blow threw it then have to work on manifold, wiring, and fuel system. Going to order a one wire alternator and brillman’s has a nice wd45 wire harness made for one wire alternator. Just need to save up a little money. Got new gas tank on there looks very clean inside but doesn’t have the numerous vent holes on the bottom side. Anything else you guys can think of I need to check I may have forgotten. Oh the air filter was filled with tons of crap what a mess. Might have original tar oil in it.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:00pm
Looking good, Ryan. I'm enjoying your thread. Looking forward to a video of that engine running! LOL

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: David (in Mi.)
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:18pm
Enjoying your thread Ryan. Where are you located?? I live just north and east of Peck. Know all the people you where talking about in area. My 45 Diesel I have restored came from Kerrigens Impl. in Croswell in 1955. My dad bought it brand new with a 12' transport disc. I remember the day, I was 6 yrs. old. Keep up the good work.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:09am
In Goodells. Where about was Kerrigens I’m a little familiar with croswell.   That’s awesome to know the past and And dealer it came from and twice as awesome when it’s family and you where there. Do you know the name of the allis dealership in Sandusky. Just finishing up the head and working on fuel system just got new fuel line and nos sediment bowl assembly. It’s getting close to being able to run. Going to be putting in new manifold studs and manifold then should be ready to rip and roar.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:20am
Ryan,
Your coming right along on the 45! Thanks for the updates. It will be ready to do some work this spring!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:34am
Experience is a great teacher. You should have had the manifold side milled while it was off.

Posted By: David (in Mi.)
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:51pm
The Kerrigan dealer in Croswell was one half mile west of town, on the south side of the road. The building is still there, someone is selling lawn mowers and some farm supplies there now.   The dealership In Sandusky has a lot of history. I know the owners personally, it was called Cork Impl. for many a years. The owner was Bob Cork which I have known forever. He has died, I still talk to his son in Arizona. After he sold out (about the time Allis sold) the new dealer was Meull Impl. until if finally when broke and no more Allis That dealership was straight across the road from Sandusky Middle school on M 19.

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:56pm
My son put Ford 302 exhaust and Chevy 350 intakes in my 45. Some he had saved back. (used) I couldn't believe how much better it started and ran.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 10:19am
Have the fuel delivery system all together. Just need a muffler, plug wires, a hotwire, and need to seal hand clutch cover and it should run. But all those things on Xmas list so might have to wait till then

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 9:27am
It's really coming together for you Ryan.
It looks good and it'll be running before you realize it.  And then WE want a picture of your expression when you pull that starter rod!!

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 8:40pm
Hopefully next week will have tractor running just waiting on a muffler now. Was going to buy a new one but the boneyard near me has a gleaner d17 motor on the skid still out of combine and looks good and has good muffler and Vinson manifold for cheap. . So going to wait till pay day next week and get that. Maybe do a gleaner powered puller like sugarmaker is working on. My thought where to do wd and strip it down to extreme lightweight class. I will get new muffler when I repaint tractor but for now use what I will have. But Tractor is coming along good just anxious to get it started and make sure everything gets lubed up and no problems. Then next thing will be to do electrical system which will be 12v with one wire alternator found a awesome wire harness from brillman at good price looks original and wired for the one wire. Plus I think headlights will get led inserts under the glass bulb. Look old but new. So hopefully will have a awesome update next week. Hope everyone had a great new years

Posted By: MDWilliams338
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 5:27am
Nice job for sure...looks good

-------------
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 8:28am
Ryan,
Your getting there! Somedays it seems like not much is happening. Also sounds like you have another potential project. If you can find a styled WC that seems to be the hot set up to get the weight down as much as possible for the Z engine. Looking forward to your updates.
 Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:55pm
It runs good had it running for over an hour today. Fired right up everything sounded great. A little louder exhaust wise but I’m the barn. Has a small manifold leak cause the far corner is rusted a little so might put an extra gasket in or get new manifold. Drove it around the yard feels very powerful compared to ones I had in the past. You can dump clutch and it doesn’t stutter just goes. Next I guess is work on the electrical system which needs to be completely replaced cause every bit of it is junk. Am very happy with how it turned out. Will put up a video when find out how.

Ryan

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 8:25pm
Ryan,
 Congratulations on your WD45 engine overhaul! Looking forward to the video too. Those manifolds get washed out on the ends. That's pretty common. A machine shop can true it up for you.
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:28am
Just got some time to mess with it yesterday. It rust good but seems louder and harsher then should be. So I tried a little timing adjustment and it purrs. Wow what a big difference a few degrees makes. Just waiting to make a little extra cash and will be getting a new alternator and a wiring harness cause absolutely nothing is savable with the wires. Plus I’m going to get anew exhaust manifold cause the one end leaks and manifold is just ate out a little on the end. But local junk yard has a old d17/combine motor with new looking Vinson manifold and going to grab distributor too

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 6:16pm
Ryan,
 You will really like the upgrades to the electrical system too. I wire my own but Steve @B&B has complete kits too.
All those little details add up to smooth running tractor for a long time!
 Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net