Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=162365
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:50am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: D15 puller
Posted By: Justin Vandy
Subject: D15 puller
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:03pm
Been pulling a series I D15 with a series II engine in it at our local club in 4000 and 4500lb 3mph classes and I am looking for more power. There are a few WC’s and WD’s bored and stroked that are hard to keep up with at times even at 3mph. My question is has anyone ever stroked a d15 engine? Is there even room? Like to stick with the D15 since I already have it set up. Any insight on more power would be appreciated. I should include no turbos are aloud. Thanks for any input.

Replies:
Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 5:43am
A D-15 is a poor choice for increasing engine size and HP. You will never be as big as a 400+ cubic inch WC.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 6:49am
I never expect to be anywhere in the same ballpark as a WC. But at 3mph just having enough hp to keep the d15 rpm’s up to keep my speed will help I bunch. I don’t expect 70hp out of it. But 55hp would be nice to achieve. That’s all I’m after. I’m well aware a WC is a better puller.

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:25am
Your best option would be to put that motor into a D10 or CA and pull the 2500 pound class, or just be content to be at the back of the pack in the weight classes you are running. Any other tractor that can make those weight classes can easily have twice the cubes you can get. Only a little extra is possible and it won’t come cheap without a turbo. No one is making any preformance parts for that engine in quantity. Anything done will be one-off custom work.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:44am
Our club doesn’t have anything smaller than the 4000lb class. So I’m hearing that there is absolutely nothing I can do? I’m good with getting custom work done with the a crank or boring it but I wasn’t sure if there was even room in the block. I saw a guy with a C allis in another post that had some cam work and one up to 170ci.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:51am
I have a whole extra engine I could build or just stroke the crank a little.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 5:21pm
Your carb is essentially the same as a WD45 and D-17.  With a little work, you could graft a D-19 carb (or one from another tractor in that 65 to 75 HP size) and gain some HP.  Work over your governor and get the engine to hit 2600 to 2800 RPM's and with a larger carb you will notice that. If you advance the ignition timing 5 degrees (to 30 degrees BTDC)  and burn only 90 to 92 octane gas, there is a little bit more HP to be gained there. That particular engine is NOT worth spending $1,000+ in stroking the crankshaft because there ain't that much room to work with.

Posted By: Allisman01
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 3:44pm
I know you don’t want to but I’d move up to a D-17. Your starting at 226 cubes and you can get one in the 4,000 lbs class. Mine is stock bore and stroke and I’m putting out over 70hp and there’s room to expand.

Posted By: Zaddison
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:09pm
Wow stock cubic inch engine that makes over 70 hp. Sure there are a few people on here that want to know your secret

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:29pm
So, you'd really be impressed with a D-17 putting out 100+ and still weighing 4,000 lbs ???

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:49pm
No. See that often. Has nothing todo with weight. Just never seen a stock cubic inch 226 make over 70hp

Posted By: cwhit
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:52pm
A stock 226 at 70 hp ? I,ll make some popcorn and see where this goes.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:58pm
A stock D-17 was rated at 53 PTO HP @1650 RPM with power steering. Removal of the power steering is a 3 HP gain, so now you are at 57 HP @1650 RPM.  Increasing the rated RPM to 1800 will yield you 4 more HP, so now we are at 61 HP at the PTO. Installing 8.0 to 1 pistons and sleeves( or 4 1/8" overbore that actually have good compression) from a 170 or 175 is good for 4 more HP, so that gets us up to 65 HP. More RPM to 2,000 RPM rated speed would probably be 69 HP and then there's a matter of a larger carb assembly from tractors that were rated at 70 or more HP like a D-19. Removal of the belly hydraulic pump should be +2 HP. There is also the 175 camshaft grind that will gain you a few more too.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 5:15pm
First I never said it couldn’t be done. Second I said I’ve never seen it. Third all those things you listed would be secrets to some one new to pulling or Allis Chalmers. Forth what I’m getting at is I don’t want that guy to go buy a d17 thinking it’s going to make 70 plus hp at 540 with stock cubes.ive seen it two many times go buy this engine it’ll make x amount of power And then be pissed when it doesn’t. We get it you know your stuff. But why must u be such a dick about it.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 5:27pm
Really ??  I'm trying to support your questioning of a completely "stock" D-17 engine really can't do it at an all "stock" configuration .   It takes a few things. You'd never talk to me like that face to face. Pretty brave behind the cloak of the keyboard.  Maybe we can meet up somewhere and have a talk ??

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 5:47pm
Wow unbelievable. No one is trying to be tuff or brave. I’ll i meant was for that guy not to go by a d17 and expect to win and have 70 hp. The man with the d17 never said what he had done to it other then stock cubes. No one is being a keyboard warrior. If you want to fight a perfect stranger because I called you a dick you have some serious anger issues. I wish I never even would of said anything about it.

Posted By: Acllss puller
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 7:33pm
Zads go his panties in a bunch , now where did the good doc say is is completely stock , ie cam , headwork , carb upgrade ect ok and increases rpms will get you the 70hp go with good fuel not cheap pump gas on stock cubic inches ! Read carefully before you spout off , ignorance is bliss they say ! Lol very disrespectful to someone who knows the facts that you obviously do not . And yes we have 2 WD 45 s making 70 hp + on stock cubes and doc didn’t build so it is very possible! You just gotta want it ! Lol

Posted By: frnkeore
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 1:25am
Zad,
Respectful conversation, usually doesn't include the word "dick". Not many people (none that I know) like being called that.

There is no problem with disagreeing with someone and humility will usually, increase your knowledge base.

-------------
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 8:50am
Dr Allis is right. I’m at 226 cubic inches. But I’m running good gas, my governor has been tweaked, it’s had some head work done and I’ve played with the timing and carb while on the dyno. That’s what the dyno said. I’ve never personally met dr Allis but from being on this forum and reading the man is smart when it comes to the orange tractors.   Whenever I decide to build a 190 for pulling I’ll be talking to him for help!

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 9:00am
Back to the D15 topic. Going to try and few things with this nice pride and joy I have and see how the year goes. I can’t go 70hp D17 in the 4000 because our club decides to size each class by Nebraska test hp. 40hp being the limit on the 4000. But doesn’t matter what your tractor dynos. Just use it as a sizing tool. Same reason I’m trying to stuff a D19 gas engine into a Cockshutt 40 rather than getting my D19 down to 5500lbs. Just have to play by the rules I’m given and the tractors in the stable.

This D15 will have to be what I pull till I get a few other projects done.
A blind squirrel can find a nut and a D15 can beat a WC at 3mph sometimes. Just not often

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 9:34am
Best of luck to you fellow orange puller! There is a good thing to this, at least is a orange tractor beating you and not a half tractor ( John Deere)!

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 2:38pm
3 year later update. Our club added a 3500lb 3mph class and we started a points system this year. I hadn’t pulled the d15 since the 2020 season as I built a wd45 with a g262 that has been quite fun. But I pulled the d15 back out for this season and after 7 pulls and one left the d15 is leading points ahead of a 280ci WC, a 240ci WD, a Farmall C with a C153, a JD B, a turbo Farmall H, and a JD MT. Glad I got it back out.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 6:30am
A Farmall H with a turbo? Sounds like there has been a rule change to allow turbos. Why not advocate for adding a lighter class to swap you D15II engine into a D10 chassis? 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 7:50pm
Yes Paul turbos are now allowed. Around our parts the 3500 wasn’t even added to all the pulls so a lighter class probably won’t be an option. I did just pick up C today though that might be something I work on for some light NATPA stuff. Not sure what it’ll take to pull in say the 3000 or 3250 top cut.

Posted By: cms
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 11:10am
You can bore and stroke to get more power. At that heavy of class you will still be behind in power but closer.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:20pm
A D15II engine is very near it's to physical limits from the factory. Most any other tractor of comparable weight to a D15 is going to have a CID advantage over a D15. The only substitute for Cubic inches is manifold pressure & RPM, neither can be used to the best advantage in Grampa gear classes. 
 Putting a D15II engine into a CA or D10 open speed class at 2500 pounds is a fun ride. At 3000 pounds to about 4000  pounds a WC is the tractor to have. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net