URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=159583
Printed Date: 24 Sep 2024 at 5:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A couple of b related questions
Posted By: 2011dandd
Subject: A couple of b related questions
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:50am
Me again the b pest from Blighty (UK)

Wondering, what the quantity of Louis on the final drive pan is roughly? (Obviously up to the filler hole but how much is that)

Tractor seems to be running great after carb rebuild, new oil, filter , plugs and leads, rocker cover and oil sump gaskets etc. BUT....it’s idling very fast and is very responsive on the throttle now.
Is that simply a case of playing around with the throttle idle screw?

Also I’ve started starting it on a rope. Tied off a rope to the crank handle. Feel a lot me safer and confident this way

Replies:
Posted By: HoughMade
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:06am
If it's running smoothly, slowly turn the idle screw until it sounds like the tractor in the video below after it is running and idled down.  Also, this is a good primer on crank starting it.  Stay on the correct side, so you are pulling, and keep your thumbs out of the way and even if it kicks back, all it will do is pull the crank out of your hand.  I don't understand people standing directly in from of the tractor and cranking it like a giant jack-in-the-box (not saying you are).  Do it right and have no fear.

[TUBE]N43_dWx8Yrs[/TUBE]

-------------
1951 B

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:14am
Hello Dan!

Great to year 'ya got her going.

Fast idle... yes... throttle idle stop, also... there might be a vacuum tap on the intake manifold... if it has a little hand-valve, it was probably used on a dairy farm to provide vacuum for a milking machine (mine was)... if that's open or leaking, it'll run fast.

double check your ignition timing...  if it has a magneto, with fuel off, etc, grab the handle and slowly pull it past TDC.  You SHOULD hear the magneto impulser 'Clack' just a few degrees AFTER you've crossed top dead center.  If it's snapping BEFORE TDC, then you've got her set too early.

The impulser serves as a direct drive when above a certain engine speed (a few hundred RPM), but has a wind-up clock spring that when turning slowly, delays the ignition event until AFTER TDC (to save your arm, and make easy starting)... and whilst doing that, it allows the magneto to flip REALLY FAST for that event, so you get a nice, hot spark. 
If it's tripping too early, rotate the mag 'till it fires right AFTER, then give it a try.

If you have a distributor ignition, check the advance weights in the bottom of the distributor.  They get stuck sometimes... too much advance means it won't idle down.Wink

You actually found oil in your final drive pans? LOL
I don't recall exactly, but probably in the range of a quart?  Bill L probably talks it in his sleep...

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: HoughMade
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:17am
I think it's a little under a quart.

-------------
1951 B

Posted By: Dick L
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:21am
The speed of idle is not the idle air needle. The speed of idle is the amount of fuel mixture that gets by the throttle plate in the carburetor. To get to full speed the throttle plate has to open. To slow the engine speed you close the throttle plate to the desired slower speed. To go to slow idle you close the throttle plate against the stop screw.

The idle speed adjustment speed is the stop screw on the back side of the carburetor that keeps the throttle from closing enough to shut off all fuel.

What is called the idle screw is actually the idle air mixture needle. You adjust it to make the proper mixture that makes the engine runs smooth at the stop screw setting.

You can slow the idle speed with the idle screw by giving the engine a bad fuel air mixture.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:29pm
3/4 qt each side.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: 2011dandd
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:58pm
Dave kemp- thanks wish you guys were around the corner.

Reading what you have wrote i can say with some confidence that the mag lag angle is correct as there is a pause after TDC when cranking over slowly before the trip/click.

Yes lots of oil still in the final fmdrive pan but a failed gasket. Did that yesterday. I’m to impatient and skint to get the correct gaskets sent to England from America so I used permatex.

Dick L I thought as much. Thanks I know these things really but I lack the confidence and rarely get to do much like this anymore because my kids are so young. It’s slowly eeking back out of my brain.
I will unscrew the throttle plate screw a little it and go from there.

Can’t wait to get the old girl out and get a video of it for you chaps.

Posted By: Dick L
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:07pm
I don't or rather didn't buy those gaskets. I used 1/8" gasket paper and cut them out.

Posted By: Bill Long
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:10pm
2011dandd,  I personally cannot thank you enough for taking such an unfamiliar American product - The Allis Chalmers B Tractor (my favorite) - and meticulously learning step by step how to get it operating.  My sincere congratulations on a continuing job well done. 
Sincerely  look forwards to seeing pictures of your accomplishments.
Thank You Again So Much!!!
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  My thanks to the "best mechanics I have never met" for their wise, assisting, complete information for helping our friend from "across the pond"

Posted By: mdm1
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:42pm
I had seen that video before and I think the owner had some money problems and had to sell that tractor. Good luck with your project. These guys here are the most gracious sharing their knowledge!

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:38pm
The shop manual may help for details:

http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf
though this US version might not match the British B.

Gerald J.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net