Class on “Why won't my tractor run?

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=159525
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 6:57pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Class on “Why won't my tractor run?
Posted By: Don(MO)
Subject: Class on “Why won't my tractor run?
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 5:33pm

I’m thinking about teaching classes that cover repairs on older AC tractors.

I see the same questions asked over and over again and I think by teaching these classes it will help especially the first time tractor owners how to repair their own tractors.

Remember “Knowledge is power “!     I see the older guys with the knowledge on the old tractors passing on all the time and with them go’s the knowledge to repair them.

This first class will go over the fundamentals of component Diagnostic and repair. The class will be held at my shop on a Saturday and will be an all-day class with lunch provided. I will go over the common problems that stop tractors from starting or running right. Some of them will be easy fixes and some of them a little more difficult, but I will teach what to do when it won't start I will go over wiring, generators, starters, voltage-regulators, distributors, Magneto's and fuel systems, carburetors fuel lines, fuel tanks. This will take the biggest part of an 8 hour day for you to learn the simple step-by-step procedures that I do when a non-running tractor comes into my shop. The classes will be based on the old dealership service schools on these old tractors.

If the first one works out then I will be teaching other classes like brakes, clutches, engine fundamentals and repairs, there will be a revolving cycle of the different classes and will be taking information and suggestions as we go.  I'm not making videos of these classes for the internet. The classes will not be free. I will have teaching AIDS built from carburetors, distributors Magneto's, generators, starters so I can teach from the real units like you'll be working on at home. I will supply handouts and the Manual's on Magneto's and distributors that you can't find in most service manuals. Please share any input you might have on this. I will talk about the test tools that I use where to get them the class sizes will be 5 to a maximum of 10. The cost and dates for the classes will be posted at a later date.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Don

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Replies:
Posted By: Stan IL&TN
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:25pm
I think it's a great idea Don.👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

-------------
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson

Posted By: B26240
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:31pm
Don;    Great idea,  I suggest you throw in plenty of safety tips along the way.  Mark

Posted By: Fred in Pa
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:56pm
BLESS YOU

-------------
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.

Posted By: DSeries4
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 7:16pm
Fantastic idea!  Might help to point out things to look for and perform basic maintenance.  Remind people that a lot of items can be rebuilt rather than buying a whole new part from the auto parts store.

It would be very entertaining!

-------------
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080

Posted By: HaroldOmaha
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:36pm
What about people of interest that live to far to attend. a correspondent class?

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:45pm
Sign me up

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 10:19pm
It's a great idea, Don. Count me in.

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: garden_guy
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:19pm
This sounds fantastic. Would save first time tractor owners a lot of heartburn and headache.

Posted By: mdm1
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:10am
Don sounds like a GREAT idea. Could you video it and charge for the video? Not the same as being there I know. I would really be interested.

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:31am
I say it’s a great idea!
But in the event not everyone is able to attend, I think having a video and copies of said manuals for sale would be a good idea, especially if someone wants to go back and review long after the class is over. Some of us forget a little every now and then, don’t we?

Posted By: Fog1950
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:37am
Awesome idea!!!! Too often I hear the same questions you mention. Some are from people who should be familiar with how to troubleshoot the problems (like my tractor club buddies). As I often tell people, "My tractors may not be pretty but they work like they're supposed to." I have a 1952 WD. A safety class on hydraulics and associated high pressures is a good add on as well.

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 7:38am
Don,
I believe this project will help many folks with their tractor basics! I wish you the best in this endeavor. Nothing like hands on learning in the class room with a good teacher! Have fun at this too!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Alex09(WI)
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 7:40am
That is a great idea! A couple weeks ago I was just thinking that I wish there were still some tractor dealership service classes available now days! And what do I read about this morning? I will be watching to see when the first class is so I can attend.

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 7:40am
     Super idea. Only wish I was closer to you. You are certainly special to go to the effort to organize and share your knowledge of all the workings of the older equipment.

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:08am
Will it be a traveling seminar? When are the Indiana dates LOL. It might be worth a trip down to MO

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

I think it's a great idea Don.👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Ditto!

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:26am
I think it would be a looong a$$ haul from NJ to MO, but the idea is a great one! Go for it Don!
mailto:Steve@B&B" rel="nofollow - Steve@B&B

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Posted By: Ranse
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 2:51pm
I'll tell you what I think. I think I need this class real bad! Bad enough I would consider taking a day or two off and traveling to Missouri to attend. That's probably not realistic though. Nothing like hands on training. I know people try to help and explain things on here, but it's harder. It's a lot easier to understand if someone actually shows you. It is for me anyway, of coarse, I'm a little slow.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:38pm
The first class will be held on April 27th.

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 6:24pm
How do we find out the cost or sign up?

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:45pm

My E-mail address is mailto:donstractorrepair673@gmail.com" rel="nofollow - . Using my email address is the best way to communicate or my phone number 816-914-0643. With small class sizes the cost will be higher unfortunately so the cost per student will be $250. per class. I have checked into motels in the area and can get info. for you if you so desire. There are three motels within 15 miles of my shop. Emails will be best but you can call me for more information. The tuition cost of $250. will supply you with a packet with service manual information like I talked about before and phone tech help if something comes up that you don't remember from the class.

-------------

Posted By: Walter(MO)
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:12pm
Don is your shop in Bates City or in the country?  I see Bates City is real close to I-70.  Are you south or north of I-70?  Also how far are you from Warrensburg?  Will you teach the same class again for those who cannot make the April 27 work in their schedule?  Thanks

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:42pm
Also cannot attend April 27. Hope the first edition goes really well and that you decide to run it again another time.

Dave

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:47am
I think $200 is a steal, especially when you consider the training materials, and you'll offer support afterwards. In the manufacturing world, training like this would be $1000 per day.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:39pm
Good news it looks like this was a good idea having service schools. Thanks for all the feed-back, I didn't know if this off the wall idea was going to work. FYI the class is filling up so if you are thinking about getting in on the first class please sign up asap. If this class proves to help as much as I'm thinking it will then I will hold them as long as you what them. Thanks again Don

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:27am
If you get a bunch of morons like me in there, this may be your one and only class lol. Hopefully, it will go well for all of you. If you start having them regular, I'm going to try to work out a way to go to a future class.

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:44pm
you are right knowlage is power but skil and equipment is nessasary when is the one schedualed near me 

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:52pm
probley have to start right with the four stroke theary our shop has to do that with all our small engine brands that we are  dealers for so they understand basic things first i dont think most poeple understand that before they get to a faulty componat

Posted By: Bradleytrench
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:11pm
I know dad has been busy getting teaching aids done. From Dad and i's discussions, he is starting basic and building from that. Dad and I have discussed a unique way to teach electrical in way that people will understand. Im excited to get to help dad with this class with a little knowledge that I have with tractors. Bobby Mo

-------------
1 WD45D, 1 A2 GLEANER, Wd w 33mounted corn picker

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:13pm
Now that's a good one too Bobby!  Especially on the genny's.  SO many questions come on here time and time again.  Well there you go Bobby, a new career for YOU.  AFTER you learn everything your dad has in his noodle, You could travel around the country giving classes in each state.  Go to the center of each state and find a place where you could give a class to,,,,,,,,,,oh say,,,,,,200.
But you better hurry, because I can't make the April 27 class, but might get to the next one.

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:34am
I will try to answer some questions I have gotten like why not make videos,  this is a two part answer, I don't think that a video will show things like when a distributor shaft has to much wear to maintain a constant dwell or with the one on one the class asking the list of question's that will come up as we are covering something face to face but if it's in a video  the came question's might be sent in a PM or even worse might not ask someone all. The road show will cost way more for me to spent time looking for the right place to have it, the three+ days I will miss of work, cost for a fork lift to un-load and reload the teaching ad's that I can use in my shop.  I might do road shows someday but not at this time.          

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 8:08am
Just an up-date on the shop training tools, they are coming along and hope to have all of them ready by the first class on the 27th of this month. It's not to late to sign-up I will make room one or two more. (816) 914-0643
Thanks Don  

-------------

Posted By: Dan Hauter
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 6:58pm
Great idea!  Dan.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 5:36pm
Six more days Intel the first class. It's time to get your name in the hat. lol
Don (816)914-0643  

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:20am
Here's a hint of some of the cut away tools we will be using for teaching this class. You can see all of them this Saturday at 8:AM.

-------------

Posted By: Alex09(WI)
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 1:38pm
looks good Don! Can't wait till this weekend!

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 2:14pm
I really wish I could go!! If school didn't keep my hands tied, especially as the end of the semester approaches, I would definitely try to make it up there. 

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:01am
This is a reminder for the guys that are coming this Saturday that class will start at 8:AM and please bring your Allis Chalmers service manual to class, you might bring or just were work closes because we will be handing old tractor parts. I hope to have the test engine stand ready for this class.
Thanks Don   

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:54am
Don,
 The cut away units look very good! Hope you have a great first class!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:16am
After we had this class and with the positive response from this one we are going to have this class again. It will be held on Saturday the first day of June and will start like the last class at 7:AM to 5:PM central time. We have added more info. to cover some of the things I didn't have before, a little bit bigger and I hope better. And like the last time please let me know if you are coming or need more INFO about it.
Thanks Don Bradley
Don's Tractor Repair Inc.    

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:30am
Count me in, Don. Dan Hauter. 217-710-8056. dhauter45@gmail.com.

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:58pm
I will take this class again Don unless you get too many .
Jump on this guys , Don and his son Bobby do a great job of presenting information. These opportunities do not come along often. Take advantage while it is available. Worth every penny and worth the time and effort . Hope to see a bunch of you guys sign up and absorb some of Don's expertise.
After 1 class I feel more confident in my attempts to repair the electric , fuel systems on my old tractors.

Thank you Don for taking on this endeavor.

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:25pm
June 1st, dang. I expect I will start cutting hay in 2 to 3 weeks, so that's probably were I will be. Don't quit having them Don, I want to make one sooner or later.

Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

June 1st, dang. I expect I will start cutting hay in 2 to 3 weeks, so that's probably were I will be. Don't quit having them Don, I want to make one sooner or later.
For all that are putting off signing up for this class we will have this on the first of June and will start on new class's not teach "why won't my tractor run" before we have gone through all the new one's first, so it might be four months or more before we get back to  "why won't my tractor run" again. Now with all that said if we keep getting call's asking for it we might hold on the new one's for a-wile.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:57am
I see posts on here day by day looking for help on the very things I'm teaching class's on.  

-------------

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 07 May 2019 at 12:53pm
You should do a 230 and 262 diesel class.  I would guess you get plenty of calls just on rebuilding them.

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:52am
Hi Joel, I have been working on a class on gas engines but think  they will need to be two or even three days to teach right, the 230/262's may take way to long to go over, but if I get calls for them I will rethink a class on them.
I'm trying to let you guys tell me what you what class's on.

-------------

Posted By: JaredC(WI)
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:05am
I'd jump all over this if it were closer! You all that are able to attend are very fortunate.

An idea for a future class:

The most intimidating thing to me would be simply splitting a tractor. Sure not hard to do, but How to do it safely and with minimal equipment. No fancy machine shed or hoists, etc. How to block it up, Jack it up, support it with out squashing oneself or dumping/tipping the tractor. That sort of stuff.

Wish your show was on the road!

Jared

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:17am
Completely agree on scope,  just dont want to see the wealth of information lost to time....

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by JaredC(WI) JaredC(WI) wrote:

I'd jump all over this if it were closer! You all that are able to attend are very fortunate.

An idea for a future class:

The most intimidating thing to me would be simply splitting a tractor. Sure not hard to do, but How to do it safely and with minimal equipment. No fancy machine shed or hoists, etc. How to block it up, Jack it up, support it with out squashing oneself or dumping/tipping the tractor. That sort of stuff.

Wish your show was on the road!

Jared
I don't have a shop full of nice equipment, it all done with older stuff or home built but I only work on smaller tractor now so I don't need the bigger tools. I will add your good idea for shop safety to my list.  Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

Completely agree on scope,  just dont want to see the wealth of information lost to time....
Like you I see the ability to repair this old stuff going away too, this is one more thing that got me thinking about doing the class's on them.  

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:00am
It's hard to see the posts looking for help on the very things this class go's over. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:39am
Wow, I love the engine stands and setups Don. Looks great. I really should get over there and take this class. I have learned the hard way over the past... 10-15 years.

Posted By: Walter(MO)
Date Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:28pm
Does the class start at 7:00 a.m. or 8:00 a.m?  Conflicting posts saying the times same as first class.

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 12 May 2019 at 8:17pm
Here's my take on Don's class. While I don't think I 'need' to take it I would if it were closer. What's not to like, hang out with like minded people all day and talk tractors, (orange tractors). I'm sure the class would help me with the electrical aspect of things. That's where I struggle most. I've had lots of training in my life, (hard to believe, I know) and you never know when you are going to pick something up that will help in the future.

Date Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Walter(MO) Walter(MO) wrote:

Does the class start at 7:00 a.m. or 8:00 a.m?  Conflicting posts saying the times same as first class.
The first class did start  at 8:AM that was held last month.
 but this next class we will be having on 6/1/2019 will start at 7:AM. 
I'm sorry for the mix-up on starting time.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:20pm
I'd like to bump this up with a reminder the class is 11 days away and to let you guys know don't think we will be teaching this class again before fall of this year, so please sign-up this week if are thinking about coming. Thanks Don. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:17pm
To all that have signed up for the class on the first of June, we missed the storms and the class is still going to happen.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:59pm
Very glad you missed the storms. See you June 1. Dan.

Posted By: 1terrygladys
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:21pm
Boy, if I was retired, I'd sure be there.  Hope to someday.  

-------------
WD-45, WD, 35 Unstyled WC, 36 Unstyled WC, SC Disk, JD 4430D, JD 4010D, JD B, Iowa pastor & disciple of Jesus Christ

Posted By: Bradleytrench
Date Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:27pm
Since the rain here in Missouri has been relentless. I'm getting training material ready for the next class on June 1st. In the pictures you will see what all we will be covering in class. Yes Dad and I will be going through the whole book.

When you are done with the class, we have an engine that has issues and will not run. As a class you will systematically diagnosis the issues with a troubleshooting tree and make the engine start and run.

I have added more material from the feedback from our previous class. When you are finished with the class the book of training material is yours to take home and put to work on your own tractors.

If anyone is wanting to sign up contact Don Bradley. Bobby Mo

-------------
1 WD45D, 1 A2 GLEANER, Wd w 33mounted corn picker

Date Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:42pm
Dang it, this looks great! Once the busy season gets over at work, I think I need to make time for this. Best of luck on all the classes, this is a fantastic idea!

Date Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:47pm
As Bobby said we acted on the feed back from the last class with some changes to make this class even better, Look at Bob's first pic above and you will see the book with the new 2.0 training manual Bob has came up with. I added some new training ad's plus installed some new bugs to the test engine.
We have room for two more before  the class is full so if you are thinking about getting trained please get ahold of Bobby or me to get signed-up in time.  

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:19pm
Bump.

Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:12am
I'm going to stop working in the shop so I can clean it up before Sat. It's hard to keep it clean and work on old tractors that leak all over the floor even after the oil is drained. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:16am
Don, Bobby,
 Good luck with your class! Have some fun too! 
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:01pm
Planning on seeing you at 7 AM on Sat. June 1. Pat the Plumber is coming, too.

Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 4:53pm
Hope to gain some knowledge Saturday . Thanks Don and Bobby for your time and efforts.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:37pm
I plan to leave around 6am in the morning. I'll probably hit Nashville around 7:45. I probably won't get thru it till about 10 (I hate Nashville). I hope to be in your neck of the woods around 3 or 4 pm. After we get settled in the hotel I'm going to look for the shop so I won't be late Saturday. Looking forward to it!

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:15am
We hope you guys have a save trip. We have lots of good INFO ready to go and hope you will find it full but fun day of learning how your old tractor works so it can stay running for years to come. 

-------------

Posted By: TOM (NE)
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:01am
Don, will be heading down your way this afternoon. I am really looking forward to attending this class. See at 7am sharp tomorrow.   Tom

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by TOM (NE) TOM (NE) wrote:

Don, will be heading down your way this afternoon. I am really looking forward to attending this class. See at 7am sharp tomorrow.   Tom
Tom you are welcome to come, I will send to a PM with the INFO. Please call me so we can go over it.
Thanks Don

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net