URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=159127
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 6:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1920 Allis Chalmers 6-12
Posted By: Jacob (WI,ND)
Subject: 1920 Allis Chalmers 6-12
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:52pm
Are you ready for another story?

This might turn into a long one as well, so go get a snack first, I'll wait.

It seems as though the tractors find me anymore, and I don't even hardly have to go search for them. Which is nice, don't get me wrong. The lack of tractor collecting funds is the only thing slowing me down. But I digress..... 

Back in the spring of 2018 a fellow AC collector contacted me asking if I was interested in buying his 6-12. Of course I was interested, but scraping up the $ for that kind of purchase was a bit out of the question I thought initially. We talked, and agreed on a price, and I proceeded to scrape together any spare funds I could to make this happen. I even sold a couple of things from my collection, and have offered several more for sale. 

It is not every day one gets the opportunity to buy an Allis 6-12. I have always wanted one. But it is said that there are only Thirty-some of these left in the world. I would love to own one of all the green AC's someday actually. So I knew I wanted to make this happen. 

So a bit of the back story. This tractor came from Texas, which is where many of the 6-12's ended up being sold originally for whatever reason. I have heard they had a good dealer network down in that part of the country at that time for these. I don't know all the back story, but from what I understand it came from an estate auction in the fall of 2003. The guy that got it at the auction started to restore it, but never got very far. Then in January of 2018 it was listed for sale and was bought by the collector I bought it from. He planed to restore it for his personal collection, but when something else came up for sale that he wanted even more, he offered it to me.

So jump ahead to August 2018. Mom, Dad and I loaded up in the truck and trailer to go to a family reunion that just happened to be near were the 6-12 was. Perfect, I scheduled it for us to pick it up after the reunion. And I picked up a Sioux valve grinding machine and cabinet at the family reunion as well, it was a good trip!

Got the tractor home, and unloaded just in time for me to turn around and go on my 18-30 Allis adventure the next day. Check out my other thread for info on that:
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/1920-1830-allis-chalmers_topic159118.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/1920-1830-allis-chalmers_topic159118.html

The fall of 2018 Dad and I got my 6-12 moved into the new barn. This is not going to be a right away project. I need to finish my '27 20-35 this summer first. Then it will be either one of my lonfender 20-35's or this 6-12. I can tell Dad kinda wants to tackle the 6-12, but we will see. 

I actually have some of the side projects in the works for things needed for the 6-12. As you will see in the pictures, this tractor came literally as a basket case, with all of the front half of the tractor disassembled and in crates. From looking through it all though, the only thing I appear to be missing is the steering box assembly. I had a nice long chat with Norm Meinert this weekend, and even though he is now retired, he sounded like he would be willing to use the steering box from his 6-12 as patterns to get parts cast and fabricate me a completely new box for mine! So that was great news! 

I have also been in contact with a guy about getting new Bennett air cleaners made. I have the original air cleaner, but as you will see from the pics, mine is like swiss cheese and will need to either have parts replaced, or make a completely new one.

I also have a few questions for those who know the 6-12's. First, the serial number is stamped on a brass tag on the side of these tractors, which mine is. But it is also supposed to be stamped on the top of the tractor near where it pivots in the center. In that spot instead of the serial number, mine has T T stamped there. A T shaped stamp with a little cross on the bottom of the T as well, a space where a number or something could have been but there is nothing, then another T. There is a pic of this in the 6-12 album on my Google Photos. Has anyone seen this before?? Best guess so far is that this may have been a replacement casting at some point? But the few people I have asked about this have never seen it before.

Here is the link to my 6-12 Album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BQ4LhSHCZG8Mvtuc7" rel="nofollow - https://photos.app.goo.gl/BQ4LhSHCZG8Mvtuc7

If anyone has anything to add I'd love to hear it. I have much to learn about 6-12's, but I'm in no hurry with this project, so I have time to research the things I need to.

Just in case the pics weren't enough for you, here are three videos. Hopefully the next time you see this roll down the road it will be under its own power.

[TUBE]7wjXr-NZRbk[/TUBE]

[TUBE]O9Dc9TIYlSQ[/TUBE]

[TUBE]aXokzYzBxT0[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45

Replies:
Posted By: DaveSB
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:13pm
Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on your progress, this is definitely a rare piece and deserves to be brought back to original.   

-------------
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:28pm
Thumbs UpThumbs Up Great project, best of luck with it. I wish I had that dozer for a year or 2.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 7:38pm
Thanks guys, it will be a long term project, but I'll be sure it's done right.   I'll update this thread as I make progress.   

Charlie, that is Dad with his H3 pulling it.  He got it two summers ago now I believe?  Had to do some work to it initially so didn't get to use it right away, needed the left side steering clutch and break all taken apart and rebuilt.  Probably do the right side too at some point but it is still working for now.  And had the track adjusters all apart and worked over some of the idler wheels and whatnot.  It has been well used by previous owners.  Runs good though once it gets started.  Still don't start nice like it should.  Probably needs it's head gone through and valves worked over.  But it's a nice sized unit for what we need.  Move some dirt around, move dead tractors around, and he finally got to push snow with it for the first time this winter, works great for that!  He keeps picking away on it, fixing things to make it a reliable unit.  

-------------
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45

Posted By: Michael V (NM)
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 10:42pm
love your ambition,,,I will be following,,I think the 6-12 are really neat,, I'd like to to run one just a little sometime.....hint,,hint,,,

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:03am
Have you named the 6-12 yet ?

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:25am
I've always admired the 6-12 and have hoped that I never find one for sale, too many $$.

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

love your ambition,,,I will be following,,I think the 6-12 are really neat,, I'd like to to run one just a little sometime.....hint,,hint,,,

Thanks Michael, They are very neat tractors, so much different than any other model.  I'm just as excited to get to run one as you!  I could probably be persuaded to share once it's done.  One must just be patient LOL
PS- Just sitting on the bouncy spring loaded seat is fun!  Can't help but smile when you're on it.

Pat- I have not named it.  I kinda quit doing that Wink

Dusty- I agree, I hope no more cool projects find me any time soon, tractor funds are empty for the time being Ouch

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Norm Meinert
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:56pm
Jacob, do you have or know of anybody that has pictures of a 6-12 industrial tractor with a grader?

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Norm Meinert Norm Meinert wrote:

Jacob, do you have or know of anybody that has pictures of a 6-12 industrial tractor with a grader?

Norm, I do not, but I definitely will keep and eye out and see what I can dig up!

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: dave63
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Jacob (WI,ND) Jacob (WI,ND) wrote:

Originally posted by Norm Meinert Norm Meinert wrote:

Norm, I do not, but I definitely will keep and eye out and see what I can dig up!
Norm,  I think I sent an email with the picture of what I have. Did you get it or did I forget to send it?   

Jacob I have an industrial 6-12 that is in my long term plans.   I had a little set back this winter called a heart attack. But I'm feeling much better now.  

Glad you got most of the parts. I was concerned when I saw the picture. 

-------------
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by dave63 dave63 wrote:

Norm,  I think I sent an email with the picture of what I have. Did you get it or did I forget to send it?   

Jacob I have an industrial 6-12 that is in my long term plans.   I had a little set back this winter called a heart attack. But I'm feeling much better now.  

Glad you got most of the parts. I was concerned when I saw the picture. 

Hi Dave,
Great that I am finding a bunch of the 6-12 owners!  I actually stumbled across an old thread with your tractor in it recently:
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/allis-chalmers-and-le-roi-engines_topic44497.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/allis-chalmers-and-le-roi-engines_topic44497.html

It is really cool that your family has such a long history with your 6-12.  Sorry to hear about your heart attack, but great to hear you are doing good now!  Gotta stay healthy so you can get that industrial tuned up.  What all does it need?  I just went back and found the article on your 6-12 you mentioned, in the Spring 2011 OAN.  

As for parts, yes, I have 98% of what I need to complete this tractor.  It looks like it is half missing with the engine off the tractor, and I guess that IS about half of the tractor, LOL!  But from what we have looked through and taken inventory the only major thing that appears to be missing is the steering box.  And like I mentioned Norm has been gracious enough to work with me to reproduce one from his original.

There are a few other parts that are broken or damaged, but at least having the original no matter the shape makes the restoration that much easier.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 9:03pm
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I have updated this thread, but this project has basically been in a holding pattern until other projects were wrapped up. But now that my '27 20-35 Allis is pretty much "done", I thought it was time to start thinking about the next big long term project. I was torn for quite a while on weather to start one of my 20-35 Longfenders next or this 6-12, but the decision has been made that this 6-12 is the next project.

It is more complete than the Longfenders are at this point, so I will keep hunting for parts and maybe by the time we get done with this 6-12 I'll have enough 20-35 parts to begin that project?

That, and Dad kept pushing to do the 6-12, so who am I to argue with my best help, LOL!

Oh, and our local show Northern Aged Iron near Highbridge, WI is going to have Allis Chalmers as its feature tractor again in 2023, so that is our completion date goal. I don't know, four years ain't much time, we'll see what we can do.

So, a few updates:
I've been keeping in touch with Norm Meinert, and he is still going to use his 6-12 steering box as patterns to have a new box made for me (as mine is missing completely). He'll take his box apart, use the original pieces as patterns, and have all new parts cast and machined. This is basically my only option, as there are NO 6-12 parts machines out there in the world.
So this project is pretty high on his list of things to do this winter. With any luck things should start happening on this in the next month or so. Not that I'm in a huge hurry, but it will be nice to get done the one major thing that I am missing on this tractor.

So back here on the home front, this should be an interesting and productive winter. I've been hanging out with my friend Lawrence here in Kenmare a lot more lately, and helping him with some of his projects etc... And he is fortunate to have a heated shop. He offered to let me bring something of mine to his place to work on over the long cold lonely ND winter.
So I am happy to give him a hand with whatever he needs help with in exchange for a little shop space!

After thinking it over a bit, here is my game plan. Weather permitting I plan to go back to WI for Thanksgiving. While there what I want to do is take the transmission/differential assembly off off the 6-12 and put it in the back of my truck. Then I will bring it back to ND with me and bring it out to Lawrence's place and work on it there over the winter.

My goal is to completely take it down to a bare case, and build it back up, and fix things as necessary. I have NO idea what to expect, as I have not even removed any covers to peek inside any of the housings yet. This may be a clean and replace bearings kind of restoration. Or it may be a "oh man everything is shot, now what do I do?!" restoration. Only time will tell.

I have built a heavy duty bench to put the transmission/differential assembly on while being worked on. It's already out there waiting for parts.

I have pretty much convinced myself this is going to be a full painted restoration. So the goal is to have the entire assembly rebuilt and painted and done before spring. Or at least ready for paint when nice weather arrives again. But I hate to make goals this early on in a project, we'll wait to see what kind of shape things are in.

Which brings me to the questions portion of the show. Does anyone have any info on the transmission/differential assemblies of these 6-12's? Things I should know? Expect? Watch out for? Norm has not really dug that deep into his yet, so didn't really have any specific advice for me. I need to pick Dave Harrington's brain again in the near future, as he will probably know more than most people, since he has been through them while doing his Duplex 6-12 build.

But I assume it is a "figure it out as you go" type of situation. Besides the parts book, there are no service manuals for the 6-12 that I am aware of.
If anyone has info of any sort, I would love to hear from you!

But for now that is what I know. Just thought I'd bump this thread back up and let you all know I'm still around and slowly working on things in the background.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: NEVER green
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:03am

I will be patiently waiting to see all your babies at the orange spectacular!

-------------
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       

Posted By: dave63
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 6:57pm
What condition is your radiator?  I started to build one off of pictures and drawings that I made from Norms but I got distracted.  I hope to get back into that this winter. 

-------------
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?

Posted By: Dave H (NE)
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm
Dave63  I have a  extra radiator for a 6-12.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by dave63 dave63 wrote:

What condition is your radiator?  I started to build one off of pictures and drawings that I made from Norms but I got distracted.  I hope to get back into that this winter. 

Dave,
Sound like Dave can hook you up with a radiator, which is awesome!  But if you do end up needing any more measurements, my radiator appears to me in pretty good shape so I can get whatever info you need.
I hope to be able to use mine.  We have not checked it very closely, or tested it yet.

I will need to find or fabricate the fan shroud for my radiator.  It has been modified/cut down.  So the rearmost section is missing.   I'll try to get some pics when I'm home for Thanksgiving.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: rdpavlis
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 12:18pm
Last year I bought a running 6-12 that I am fixing some of the remaining issues on it.  One of the things I am missing is the air cleaner.  You had stated that you had someone who could make one.  Is that still true as it would be great if I could get one as mine is a modification that someone made?

I also don't have the correct carburetor, so if anyone has a source for one I would be very appreciative. 

Also, on the fan shroud, I found that a fan shout off a Farmall A, B, or C seems to be very close to the original one, at least as I have seen in photos.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by rdpavlis rdpavlis wrote:

Last year I bought a running 6-12 that I am fixing some of the remaining issues on it.  One of the things I am missing is the air cleaner.  You had stated that you had someone who could make one.  Is that still true as it would be great if I could get one as mine is a modification that someone made?

I also don't have the correct carburetor, so if anyone has a source for one I would be very appreciative. 

Also, on the fan shroud, I found that a fan shout off a Farmall A, B, or C seems to be very close to the original one, at least as I have seen in photos.

Roger,
I'm glad to hear from fellow 6-12 owners, thanks for sharing!  Is that the 6-12 that was on the Smith Auction in WI?
This one?
[TUBE]MWNWcN98nVA[/TUBE]

The air cleaner deal is still slowly in the works from what I hear.  The guy I had contacted was working with another person, and he has slowed down considerably on making things from what I hear.  I believe the top stamped two piece elbow parts are done and he was going to start assembling them.  Other than that, I have no updates.
To be honest, I'll probably tackle reproducing my own air cleaner when it gets to that point.  I have an original to use as a pattern, but it is in very rough shape.  I'll probably buy and make some tooling to do that sheet metal work myself at that point.  Good excuse to buy some more tools, right?!  But I haven't went down that rabbit hole yet.  Kinda waiting to see how things turn out with the other guy making them first too.  And I have plenty of other things to work on at this point.

Thanks for the tip on the radiator shroud, I'll have to look into that.

I had to cancel my trip home for Thanksgiving because WI was being hit with an ugly snowstorm, and I was told to not even attempt to come home, it was not worth the risk.  So I didn't get a chance to work on my 6-12 this weekend, sigh.....
It will have to wait until Christmas vacation when I get a chance to get home again now. 

If there is anything you want me to check out for you while I'm back then, just let me know and I'm happy to help.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:07pm
Jacob, I seen that 6-12 at Smith-sales/auctions... was there and looked the LU too...LOL
[TUBE]BhnuPTJp1lM[/TUBE]
 They had a WC on the auction also and I looked hard at it because it was so similar to the one dad had sold to a fellow that thought he had to have it some 30-40 years ago.  Had the back on the seat, and had the rear rims widen about 5 inches... like this one was. Looked at it hard and could not be sure if it was the one or not. Exhaust pipe and rear tires didn't look the same.

Sorry to hear you didn't make it back to Wi. You weren't the only one that didn't have a 'normal' Thanksgiving Day of being with family. But as you said, Christmas is coming. Hope you had a good day just the same. JC

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:54am
Jacob,
 Will be watching! You always do a great job of documenting your work! Amazing! I dont think I will ever tackle a older Allis like this but fun to see you go through the process!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:49am
Jacob,
Could e-mail or post a picture of that air cleaner? Small chance I could make one.

Dusty

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 4:20pm
Thanks guys.  There is a link to my Google Photos "1920 Allis Chalmers 6-12 #10519" album in my first post which has all my 6-12 pics to date in it.  There are half a dozen or so air cleaner pics there.  Check them out, I can get more at Christmas time.  

I will continue to add pics to this album for the remainder of this restoration, to keep them all in the same easy to access for all location. 

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: rdpavlis
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:48pm
Jacob, You are correct in that the one I bought was the one from Smith Auction.  I don't know much about it's history other than someone rebuilt the engine, sandblasted it and painted it.  Made some parts but not like original.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:33pm
It has been nice getting to talk with some fellow 6-12 owners recently.  I've been in contact with Roger Pavlis who is doing a nice job re-restoring his 6-12.  Looking forward to seeing that one done for next summer's show season.  If I'm lucky I might even get a sneak peek this winter if I make it down to my sisters place in New Richmond over the Christmas holidays, as he's only a short distance from her house.

Also have talked to David Dickmyer who has the second Industrial 6-12.  He's in the process of restoring his too.

Chatted with Dave Harrington the other night, to see if he had any advice on disassembling what is still together of my 6-12.  Dave is one of the most knowledgeable guys around when it comes to the inner workings of these machines.   Him having to strip down not one, but two 6-12's and completely rework both transmissions to get the gearing to work together on his Duplex replica, is truly amazing!
So after having a nice chat with Dave, we came to the consensus which I kinda already figured.  We will have to remove at least one segment gear from each drive wheel first.  Then the tractor can be supported while both drive wheels will be taken off.  Probably take the rear sulky off at this point too.  Then the entire tractor can be lowered mostly to the ground.  Then the entire differential/transmission assembly can be removed from the main tractor casting, which is my goal, so I can bring that back to ND with me to rebuild over the winter.
Sounds simple right?

Of course I have been keeping in contact with Norm Meinert too.  As I have previously mentioned he is in the process of using the steering box from his Industrial 6-12 as a pattern to make me a new one.  I got a pic from him the other day showing that he has the box all apart and cleaned up.  It is kinda neat to see what the inside of that looks like.
Here is a link to that pic, in my Google Photos album:
http://photos.app.goo.gl/o8Xa9XfMNc95tuvm9" rel="nofollow - http://photos.app.goo.gl/o8Xa9XfMNc95tuvm9

Norm is waiting to hear back from the foundry.
I guess the spur gear in his is rather worn, so he'll have to address that before building mine.  But it's a win-win as he'll have a like new box when he's done, and so will I!  It sounds like David Dickmyer may need some parts for his steering box as well, as he has lots of slop from what he tells me.  And Dave Harrington mentioned he has another friend who needs steering box parts too.  

So this project will end up helping a bunch of us 6-12 guys.  I can't thank you all enough for the help you have provided thus far!  

And while we'er at it, if there are any other 6-12 owners out there who may need steering box parts, now is the time to jump on board.  If we're making a few parts, it's just as easy (and possibly a bit cheaper for everyone) to make a few more.  Speak up fast though, this project is already in motion. 

And of course, if there are other 6-12 owners out there that want to chat, I'd love to listen.  I have a lot to learn about these machines yet.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 3:58pm
And so it begins....
I'm going to try to do a better job of video documenting this restoration than I have done with past restorations. No guarantee I will stick with it until the end, but I've been doing pretty good so far. This is the first video of the start of the restoration. I have more but need to do some basic editing first. We'll see how this goes, let me know what you think.

[TUBE]G6tMC-3GiqY[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 11:24pm
part 5

[TUBE]5-CakM2errU[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 11:25pm
part 6

[TUBE]D1KRJqUbV7A[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 11:28pm
part 7

[TUBE]Ap2zS2kFjss[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 12:01am
part 8

[TUBE]JzbLc6FEcgY[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Bob D. (La)
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:44am
Really enjoying your videos. Though it's a true basket case, so far it seems you have all the major components/parts to get somewhat close to a completed tractor.God Bless.

Reminds me of a 5020 basket case/boxes, piles, and buckets of parts I purchased for my bother-in-law about 15 years ago. His wife still has the tractor and uses it somewhat regularly. It was a 2 + year project.

-------------
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:05am
 I have found different shots of this tractor while going google searches trying to figure things out.
Here is one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16507580@N02/2948874819" rel="nofollow - https://www.flickr.com/photos/16507580@N02/2948874819

Here is an old thread with more pics of this machine, and some info on at least where it was back then. I have no idea if it is still there. If anyone knows the whereabouts of this now, I'd like to hear.
https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/allis-chalmers-6-12-1919.29235/" rel="nofollow - https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/allis-chalmers-6-12-1919.29235/

Interesting note, if you look at this shot you can clearly see the spark plug wire loom part I was talking about in my box of parts! The thing that looks like a metal gas can spout. But is also has the wooden spark plug wire holder that mounts to the top of the exhaust manifold in the bosses. But I can't understand where the sheet metal strap on the spout is mounting to? Or maybe it is just dangling there? Because there are no mounting bosses on the intake manifold for that screw to thread into, at least not on mine. So some more head scratching will need to be done on this...
Anyone know anything about this?
https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/allis-chalmers-6-12-1919.29235/#lg=thread-29235&slide=7" rel="nofollow - https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/allis-chalmers-6-12-1919.29235/#lg=thread-29235&slide=7

And like the old thread states, this is an early tractor because it has the single tail wheel sulky. They changed to the double wheel sulky like mine I believe in 1920?

In this pic I just noticed another difference. The rear on the center pivot casting has vertical cinch bolts to attach the main tube, whereas on later tractors like mine this rear area has a vertical flange plate that bolts on the rear of this casting.
https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/allis-chalmers-6-12-1919.29235/#lg=thread-29235&slide=0" rel="nofollow - https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/allis-chalmers-6-12-1919.29235/#lg=thread-29235&slide=0

So many details, so little time...

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Dave H (NE)
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:54am
Jacob  the strap mounts on the exhaust manifold top of no. 2 port.

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:16am
Jacob, you have a lot more patience than I do.  This is a great thread and shows how younger guys are getting the bug and finding these old tractors so rewarding.  God bless you and help you through this whole ordeal.  I'll keep following and loving the pics and videos you are sharing.  This is GREAT for others who might be interested in some of this old iron.  Norm is one of the nicest people to work with and always goes out of his way to help others.

Good luck and buy a lottery ticket?

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 12:29pm
I just finished watching all of your videos, Jacob. Pretty interesting stuff! Please keep posting them as you make progress - we armchair (and the real) restorers are cheering you on!!

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 9:12pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.  Yes, patience is a must for any restoration, especially for old basket cases.
I'll keep pecking away on it this winter, and I'll do my best to keep you updated.  As a matter of fact, here is the latest installment in this restoration series.
Enjoy!
[TUBE]2NHsYnkXJDQ[/TUBE]

And as usual, I've been adding pics to my Google Photos album here:
http://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMvP7DJPKR4fORtXdvWmJEvyuRP5pf1_3Fvxh4mNPJ7ZgnwFSUMETF0H4OZMTwPkQ?key=R0tMMFlvVG1IUjM4UlpWbVgwNExITElZSWZIZkdR" rel="nofollow - http://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMvP7DJPKR4fORtXdvWmJEvyuRP5pf1_3Fvxh4mNPJ7ZgnwFSUMETF0H4OZMTwPkQ?key=R0tMMFlvVG1IUjM4UlpWbVgwNExITElZSWZIZkdR
Check them out if you're interested.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 9:34pm
Jacob,
 Thanks for the update.
 I now know a little more about your tractor! Good details and explanation!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 8:09pm
Here is part 10. As always, comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome!
[TUBE]SZjY8x4WgMU[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:20pm
Hot off the press, here is part 11.
[TUBE]6q2WrhPwRdo[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:12pm
Enjoying watching you work your way through this, Jacob. Thanks for posting these videos.

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: Phil Stier
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:39pm
Does anyoImage result for allis chalmers 6-12"ne know where this 6-12 is? This picture was on yesterdays tractor.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 10:13pm
I don't know any information on that machine Phil, but hopefully someone else does?

It was a busy weekend here.  I got a lot done, had to break the video into three parts so YouTube would let me upload it.

Here is part 12:
[TUBE]MX9lD1ZqIQ4[/TUBE]

And here is part 13, looking for information:
[TUBE]biy-z0bGpV4[/TUBE]

and part 14:
[TUBE]CKdcFvhqZg8[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Alberta Phil
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:56am
Jacob. The babbit bearings in those trumpet housings appear to be in separate sleeves and were probably lined with babbit as separate units.  They would then have been installed in the housings, assembled to the main casting, and then line bored to final size in place.
I had a 1935 MG with an OHC six cylinder engine that was built that way.  The front and rear bearings were babbitted sleeves and the two center mains were babbitted also.  All the bearing housings were assembled into the block and then all were line bored to final size.  I did all the babbitting back then.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:45pm
Thanks Phil,
Babbitting is still something on my list to learn and do some day.  

This week I have a few questions for you all.  Check out my latest video part 15.  Thanks, looking forward to hearing your opinions.

[TUBE]wDk2a09g6Ho[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 9:14pm
Not a lot of progress to show this week. Pretty short video as a result. Ended up swinging up to Crosby, ND to see what was happening at John's shop with Lawrence on Saturday. Always fun to see the projects progressing there!

[TUBE]zid3vaaGzLs[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:34am

Babbitting is still something on my list to learn and do some day.  

My old boss had the same idea when working on his early Hart Parr 30-60. He spent a lot of time researching and talking to different people before setting up to try and pour a new bearing. He wasn't happy at all with the results, so he had me split a piece of 660 bronze, solder it back together and chuck it in the lathe to turn new bearings.
 I had done it many times before for all different sizes of punch presses, but that was a first for a tractor bearing. That was about 15 years ago, and those bearings are still doing the job.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

My old boss had the same idea when working on his early Hart Parr 30-60. He spent a lot of time researching and talking to different people before setting up to try and pour a new bearing. He wasn't happy at all with the results, so he had me split a piece of 660 bronze, solder it back together and chuck it in the lathe to turn new bearings.
 I had done it many times before for all different sizes of punch presses, but that was a first for a tractor bearing. That was about 15 years ago, and those bearings are still doing the job.

From what I hear and read, babbitting is like anything, takes some time to learn the tricks, and takes some practice (and usually a few failures) to get the hang of it.  But I don't think it is that hard.  A bit time consuming.  Some day I'll learn.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 9:27am

From what I hear and read, babbitting is like anything, takes some time to learn the tricks, and takes some practice (and usually a few failures) to get the hang of it.  But I don't think it is that hard.  A bit time consuming.  Some day I'll learn.

I believe you're right. The biggest problem learning the does and don'ts may be that there aren't many left around to teach it.
 One thing for sure, temperatures of the Babbitt and the part to be poured are critical for a good pour.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:47pm
Here is this weeks progress.  Got more done this week, which was nice.  Please give me your opinions on the questions I have, I value your advice.
Thanks!
[TUBE]IDOlofuI6l8[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Alberta Phil
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:37am
I've run across those special lock washers on other vintage tractors and the small lip on the one side of the lockwasher usually goes to the hole in the casting.  It faces away from the underside of the bolt.  I believe it was to more or less center the fastener in the hole.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

I've run across those special lock washers on other vintage tractors and the small lip on the one side of the lockwasher usually goes to the hole in the casting.  It faces away from the underside of the bolt.  I believe it was to more or less center the fastener in the hole.
All the ones I took apart here were orientated with the lip towards the bolt head.  Not saying that someone hasn't been into things and changed around since leaving factory.  That's just how I found them.

And just for the record, they definitely ARE formed this way and not just deformed from getting sucked into the bolt hole, as has been suggested to me from other people.  They are all made this way, even the little ones.

They are definitely stronger than "modern" style ones, and dig into the heads of the bolts good.  I had to file the burs off the heads of the bolts that the lock washers left behind.

I haven't been able to find a single picture or reference to this style of lock washer on the internet anywhere.  I am assuming it was a short lived idea?  Kinda like the DOT style screw on grease fittings, which were only used for a handful of years in the late '20's.  

Has anyone else ran into this style of lock washer?

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:07pm
Hi everyone, here is this weeks progress.  Working on the transmission was a nice change of pace.  What are your thoughts on the gear mesh between the transmission pinion and differential gear?
[TUBE]QI992fQUtuY[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:47pm
This week I got some more of the transmission done, and a few other details worked out.

[TUBE]JaElFQx-0XE[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:15pm
Things are finally going together for good, fun times indeed!

[TUBE]_72jNNN2eg4[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 9:01pm
Part 21, not a ton done this week, but any progress is good progress.
[TUBE]7a-5_UfeVCI[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:10pm
Mostly finished up the bead roller.  Update on what Dad has been getting done back on the home front.

[TUBE]xozDwAuBrr8[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 2:45am
Jacob, check the metal quality between the old pins and  that nail...Sure wouldn't want you having to go back in just because of a too soft a nail. jmo. Lookin goodThumbs UpThumbs Up

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Jacob, check the metal quality between the old pins and  that nail...Sure wouldn't want you having to go back in just because of a too soft a nail. jmo. Lookin goodThumbs UpThumbs Up

I probably wasn't clear enough in the video, but I actually ended up using a cut up bolt instead of the nail.  I think it will be ok, the original pins are pretty soft as well.  And even if I need to replace them, it is easy to take apart.  I could actually get some more precise pins at that time too if it comes to that.  Thanks for the input!  It will be more exciting when I actually get to use it.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:15pm
I decided to get back on my 6-12 project, I've been away from it for over a month with trying to adhere to the social distancing guidelines and all.  But to a certain extent life must go on.  This is still one of the only places I'm going out to besides the essentials like work and grocery shopping. 

SO, without further ado, here is part 23:

[TUBE]-4blcgSAhwg[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Bob D. (La)
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 7:04am
Jacob,
  Thanks for posting these updates. I have been watching your progress and am amazed at your ingenuity and attention to detail. There are very few people who have the patience and skill that you display. God Bless.

-------------
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!

Date Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:19pm
Only spent a little time on this project this weekend, but got a couple things done. Bit by bit it's moving along.

[TUBE]uY9WSgulV6M[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:38pm
I don't really like the lack of progress on the 6-12 this summer, but there have been too many other projects taking up my time.  So here is a long overdue update.  I made a trip back to WI over the 4th of July and got some good progress made on several projects there.
[TUBE]xV3c66iF_3Q[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 9:00pm
I'm trying to get back into the swing of working on the 6-12 on a regular basis, and trying to get back to weekly update videos, but probably won't get to that point until later this fall.  But here is this weeks progress, slowly but surely! 

[TUBE]6L33Piqyglc[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:11pm
Getting close to primer time, rounding things up and getting loose ends wrapped up in preparation for primer and paint.  Hopefully within the next couple of weeks!

[TUBE]8AF1w_-oDD0[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:27pm
What a good weekend it was! I'm so happy,finally got paint on this chunk! Such a relief to be basically done with this part of the tractor, I can finally start to focus on the next thing. Very exciting!
[TUBE]tGzrINLW7mk[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:21pm
This week we dive into the world of the 6-12 clutch.  Any advice or information on these Borg and Beck clutches is welcome!
[TUBE]yR4_kuaz1Wk[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: wjohn
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:23pm
That clutch looks interesting, and paint is definitely exciting!

-------------
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45

Posted By: NEVER green
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:10pm

Great job Jacob!!!!! You get more done then I ever can on my oldies.

-------------
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:17pm
I'm a bit behind on videos, but only because it has been a very busy last couple of weeks. Here is part 30. A lot of exciting things have been happening...
[TUBE]xopX71p2APk[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:34pm
Finished breaking the 6-12 down into pieces, and got it all loaded up to head back to North Dakota. This is getting exciting, lots of progress can happen now.

[TUBE]hJSUGZ427vM[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 11:18am
Love the "little engine that could" called an H3!
 I canardly wait for the day I get my Oliver OC46 back home to play in the dirt. It's undergone a complete tear down from the reverser transmission, all the way to the final drives and should be going back together next week. Then it will just need the hydraulic pump and loader put back on with new hoses and oil, I hope.
 DO you have comments turned off on your youtube channel? I can't seem to find how to make a comment there.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 7:43pm

Love the "little engine that could" called an H3!
 I canardly wait for the day I get my Oliver OC46 back home to play in the dirt. It's undergone a complete tear down from the reverser transmission, all the way to the final drives and should be going back together next week. Then it will just need the hydraulic pump and loader put back on with new hoses and oil, I hope.
 DO you have comments turned off on your youtube channel? I can't seem to find how to make a comment there.
Yeah, that little H3 is a fun unit.  Perfect size for what we need to do around the place.  If it weren't for the fact that the undercarriage is plumb wore out it would really be nice!  So if anyone ever comes across undercarriage parts for an H3, keep us in mind.
You'll have to give us a full show and tell when you get your Oliver back, that sounds like lots of work has been done, good for many years now.
Comments should be on, scroll down below the video on YouTube and you should be able to comment.  Thanks!

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:33pm
OK, I figured out the comments thing. I had the screen at 170%. Don't know how it got there, but every time I opened your video it went there. I could only see your comment, then "Up Next" videos were under it, Pffftttt! technology. Sometimes I just don''t get it.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:38pm

You'll have to give us a full show and tell when you get your Oliver back, that sounds like lots of work has been done, good for many years now.
Comments should be on, scroll down below the video on YouTube and you should be able to comment.  Thanks!

Wes has 3 videos so far of the OC46. The 4th one, of it going back together should be coming soon. The first one is getting it running and me driving it around. They can be found here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Watchweswork%2FOC46" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Watchweswork%2FOC46

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:38pm

Wes has 3 videos so far of the OC46. The 4th one, of it going back together should be coming soon. The first one is getting it running and me driving it around. They can be found here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Watchweswork%2FOC46" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Watchweswork%2FOC46
OH wow!! That is your machine that Watch Wes Work is redoing?!  How cool is that!  I had no idea this was such a small world.  I love Wes's channel, watch them all the time, he is one smart and talented guy!  You really will have a nice unit once he's done with it, from what I see he is a top notch mechanic.  I learn a lot by watching his videos.

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 10:09pm
Hi everybody, here is part 32, this weeks update.  Lots going on, but you all are just about caught back up now. I like to try to keep these videos coming out in real time as I am working on things.  Hope you enjoy!
[TUBE]z8QX7kYgaDA[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 6:20am
Jacob,
 Great job of documenting your work on this tractor! 
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:58am

OH wow!! That is your machine that Watch Wes Work is redoing?!  How cool is that!  I had no idea this was such a small world.  I love Wes's channel, watch them all the time, he is one smart and talented guy!  You really will have a nice unit once he's done with it, from what I see he is a top notch mechanic.  I learn a lot by watching his videos.
[/QUOTE]

I ran across him on youtube, by watching his HD5 start up video. I went on to watch one on a WD45 and recognized his Dad (lives right up the road 3.5 miles).
 Then I watched a few of his other videos and gave him a call. He and his Dad came to look at "Scoopy" and I asked him about working on my 'dead' E350, 7.3 diesel toy hauler.
 He came and hauled the E350 home and had it all fixed up in no time. It runs great now.
 I can't hardly believe all the stuff he has in his head for fixing things. He also has a nice shop full of ALL KINDS of tools that most might not even know were made. To top it off, he doesn't just throw parts at a symptom. He goes the extra mile to actually figure out WHAT the problem is, and why it came about also. A GREAT asset to our community!Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:32pm
Boy oh boy has it been a busy and long week.  Lot's of late nights to get the next batch of parts ready for paint, then paint them!  It should really be a productive winter now.
[TUBE]pA-3T4s6BX8[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
Part 34 is out, not the longest video this week, but some good progress nonetheless. It's starting to look like a tractor again.
[TUBE]lhGx82Zw8M4[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Gatz in NE
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:40pm
Good progress Jacob; a treat to watch it come together.
I like that you've included CC in your videos for us "oldsters"

What is the purpose of the different (adjustment?) holes in the front sulky mount?

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Gatz in NE Gatz in NE wrote:

Good progress Jacob; a treat to watch it come together.
I like that you've included CC in your videos for us "oldsters"

What is the purpose of the different (adjustment?) holes in the front sulky mount?
Thanks, it is a treat for me to see things going back together too!
I didn't really know I had CC to be honest, that is something YouTube must do automatically.  So I just went and watched my latest video with the CC on out of curiosity.  I'm kinda surprised, it is fairly accurate!  There were only a couple little things that weren't exactly what I said. And those are usually when I am mumbling.... I'll make a mental note to try to enunciate better.  Might have to throw some funny words in to see if they get them right huh?  
Good question on the holes in the drawbar (the heavy vertical piece).  Yes, those are for adjusting things, not so much for the sully, but rather when you remove the sulky to attach an actual implement, because different implements have different hitching needs.  I'll try to include a bit more on that in a future video.  Thanks for asking, sometimes I assume everyone knows what I do, so it's nice to hear what others are thinking and confused about.  If there are other things that need more attention, be sure to mention it.  Thanks!

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:15pm
Got the gas tank lined this weekend, and finished taking apart the clutch.  

[TUBE]PEWLO-yAtxw[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:26pm
Finished up some loose ends this weekend.  Made some progress on the clutch, and dissembled the front casting.
[TUBE]pv21_yEP4vg[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 6:41pm
Slow and steady I keep picking away at this project. I've said it before I think, but one reason I do these weekly video updates besides to document the entire restoration, is to motivate me to keep going on the project. I have to get something done to get some footage so I have enough to put together a video each week. Or at least I try to each week. So I know if I don't have at least about 15 minutes worth I probably haven't worked on it enough, LOL! One way to keep a guy motivated, at least it seems to be working for me.
Thanks for watching!
[TUBE]yqs7hIZubzM[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:15am
Thanks for the documentation of your project. Very interesting to see the transformation of your tractor, especially such an unusual and rare one. Don't even think about stopping now.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:00pm
Mainly getting things ready in preparation for other things on this restoration this week, if that makes sense? 
[TUBE]qYvKcFWXT0E[/TUBE] 

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
Worked on wheels, and getting the sand blasting cabinet together this week.
[TUBE]MquxEqax5Uw[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 10:25pm
It was a good weekend, I got the wheels painted red! And there was pumpkin and pecan pie, so what else could a guy want?! Check it out...

[TUBE]cUXLjAefe8M[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Kansas99
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 10:42pm
Looking good Thumbs Up

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:18pm
there is one coming up at auction at springfield NE Dec 5th, (schram auctions)

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

there is one coming up at auction at springfield NE Dec 5th, (schram auctions)
I watched it sell.  With the buyers premium of $1,000 it brought a total of $29,000.  Not a bad price.  It needs some loving to be original, but has lots of potential.  The radiator and hood are not correct.  Neither is the carb.  The exhaust manifold is cobbled up.  But all of that can be fixed.  If anyone knows where it is going, or who the owner is, I'd like to get in contact with them.  So I can update my master 6-12 survivors list.  I may be able to help with some of the restoration details as well. Thanks!

As for my 6-12, things are rolling right along...
See what I did there, we did wheels this week, ha!
[TUBE]hCIN_WqQvyM[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 9:46pm
Welcome back to WI everyone, come check out what we've been up to:
[TUBE]u-xA0su8YWo[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: EricPA
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 10:13pm

Saw this in the Wendell memorabilia auction

-------------
Life is tough,but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 6:52am
Jacob,you deserve some praise for the effort and results you and your dad have accomplished. It is amazing what a guy can do when he sets his mind to it.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 10:00am
Eric, 
I've seen that pic before, it is in one of the reference books.  But it is a very neat pic!  Used by Dave Harrington when he replicated his Duplex.  Hope to get to see that again next year when there will hopefully be some shows!

Steve, I appreciate hearing that people enjoy what we are doing.  Thank you, we are doing the very best we know how on this project.  Like one members tagline on this forum, we are implementing maximum use of available resources.

Without further ado, here is the latest video!
[TUBE]ADmfbXLw7AY[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Posted By: Gatz in NE
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 1:58pm
Jacob,
You mention having to make up the manifold(s) from scratch using black pipe fittings.

These short ells might come in handy and save some fabrication;

https://www.mcmaster.com/elbows/standard-wall-butt-weld-steel-unthreaded-pipe-fittings/" rel="nofollow - https://www.mcmaster.com/elbows/standard-wall-butt-weld-steel-unthreaded-pipe-fittings/

A few years ago, I built a water cross-over for a 331 Hemi engine using them

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Gatz in NE Gatz in NE wrote:

Jacob,
You mention having to make up the manifold(s) from scratch using black pipe fittings.

These short ells might come in handy and save some fabrication;

https://www.mcmaster.com/elbows/standard-wall-butt-weld-steel-unthreaded-pipe-fittings/" rel="nofollow - https://www.mcmaster.com/elbows/standard-wall-butt-weld-steel-unthreaded-pipe-fittings/

A few years ago, I built a water cross-over for a 331 Hemi engine using them
I was unclear with my explanation, I have the manifolds, but need to fabricate the fitting that bolts to it, and the actual exhaust pipe.  But this is a handy thing to know, I didn't know these weld fittings were a thing, learn something every day! Thanks

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:43pm
Made it back to ND, vacation is over, back to work.  I was just getting used to working on fun tractor stuff every day. 
Here is a quick update, you all should be about caught up now.
[TUBE]u2CNI5cqHTk[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:11pm
I'm still struggling away, piece by piece....
[TUBE]Y1uahQn4dww[/TUBE]

-------------
Jacob Swanson

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net