Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=158166
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: International tug at bottom of ocean
Posted By: LB0442
Subject: International tug at bottom of ocean
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:27pm
I saw they found the wreckage of the USS Hornet carrier.  Sunk in 1942.  It is so deep that there is very little sunlight so minimal corrosion.   This tractor looks better than some I have seen at auctions and nicer than than a few I have seen in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBOPqNR_nN0" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBOPqNR_nN0

My first duty station was on the Abraham Lincoln.  Carrier duty is an experience.

Replies:
Posted By: Thad in AR.
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:08pm
A very cool video. Thanks for sharing. A friend of mine has a farmall golf course that looks very similar.

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:32pm
get KOO to retrieve it and it'll run again!

Posted By: AllisFreak MN
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:04pm
It's always sad to see those old wreckage's and think of all the men that gave their lives.

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:15pm
That video/picture is sure makin the rounds, this is the 3rd forum I've seen it on...Wink

IH sure got its money's worth, offa that lil decal!

And It should be left alone, its a war monument!Thumbs Up

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:54pm
When I was 4 or 5 years old, we had a neighbor living with his parents. He was on that ship went it went down. He wasn’t “quite right” when he got home and told stories about men being taken by sharks before they were picked up. Was painting their house one time and kept me and my brother entertained for an entire day while he painted a navy war scene across the side of the house. All good until his mother came out and told him to do it “right”.
The family was a good, proud family from Kansas. He had a sister that was a secretary to Eisenhower when Ike was in Europe.

-------------
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:04pm
Bout the time that hit the air there'd be a century of rust kicking in all at once.

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:16am
Yknow, they made them tugs so well, I'll bet there's still water in that radiator!!!  LOL

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:52pm
that's a heck of a hole below it

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:59pm
Still wondering how did not get swept away during the plunge to the bottom. larger picture showed TWO.

Posted By: A-C_220
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:06pm
The tires look like their still full!

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:26pm
I wonder if that tug was tied down when not in use? I don’t think it’s on the deck??? I’ve heard of the Hornet museum (which is like to visit) I didn’t know until tonight that there was more than one.

Posted By: Les Royer
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:11pm
When it went down, were the aircraft on deck or in the air? And if in the air, where did they land?

-------------
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.

Posted By: TimNearFortWorth
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:30pm
Everything in the air was landed on other carriers or ditched. Amazing she is upright, in 6000' of water.

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

that's a heck of a hole below it

Just how thick is the metal where that hole is?

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Yknow, they made them tugs so well, I'll bet there's still water in that radiator!!!  LOL
               At 6000 feet by all rights that radiator should be about the thickness of a quarter. Water pressure is pretty heavy duty down there. Which makes me wonder, does water pressure have any affect on something filled with water?

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

At 6000 feet by all rights that radiator should be about the thickness of a quarter. Water pressure is pretty heavy duty down there. Which makes me wonder, does water pressure have any affect on something filled with water?

At 6000ft, the ambient pressure will be 182.5 atmospheres... 2680psi.

IF the radiator was filled with gas, it would have been crushed... but several things in play here... first being, that it, and the block, was mostly full of liquid coolant... second, is that the system is inherently vented above a certain differential pressure.  the cap on that tractor was probably good for not much more than 6psi or so, and the cap seal is certainly incapable of  much more than that in any direction.  Second, is that if there was any pressure crushing the upper or lower tanks, it would breach the solder joints in where the tubes meet the tanks FIRST.

Any of those circumstances would allow immediate inflow of seawater, and thus, compress any entrapped gasses, and allow any NOT trapped to escape.

This means the pressure INSIDE, is equalized with OUTSIDE, which means there's NO additional deflection imposed on any part of it.

Same would be true for the gas tank, as it was vented via the cap.

Many of you may have already seen the news...but for those who haven't... marine surveyors operating deep-see exploration equipment were doing forensic examination of the wreckage of the Titanic, to learn more about the techniques of shipbuilding and engineering.

The engineers were amazed that even though the boilers were down 12,500ft for over a hundred years, there was still water in them!!!

LOL

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: nella(Pa)
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:31pm
[TUBE]IrmJn6Oudos[/TUBE]

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:37pm
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/uss-hornets-wreckage-found.725541/" rel="nofollow - USS Hornet's Wreckage Found | SpaceBattles Forums

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:14am
Really incredible find! The name tag on the tug must be aluminum, or else it wouldn't be readable. Like others have said, I can't believe how nice it looks! 

After reading Dave's reply, this came to mind...the Titanic and the Hornet have both been underwater for quite some time, yet the Titanic is supposedly getting dissolved fairly quickly by anaerobic bacteria that feed on the iron. Yet the Hornet (and the tug on her deck) are in excellent shape. Granted, the Titanic went down 30 years earlier, but still, the difference in the condition of the two ships is huge. Guess it just depends on which part of the ocean you're in? 

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:23am
Probably different alloying of the steel and paint for corrosion resistance.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: TramwayGuy
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:41am
Temperature is a big factor in deterioration.   The colder it is, the slower the process is.

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:38am
As commented this is the story that is everywhere. Wink It was reported else where that it rests at 17,500 feet. So less oxygen less rust, but even greater pressure. 

Posted By: LouSWPA
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:55am
I think the tug is sitting in the hanger deck, I doubt that it was tied down, but I'm not an expert. what amazes me is the tires, one would think they would be deflated. Hard to tell, but that doesn't look to be the case

-------------
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 12:31pm
Maybe the tires were ballasted to help keep em on a rocking deck (lower center of gravity) or for traction pulling loads on a smooth well swabbed deck?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:49pm
or made of solid rubber? I don't thinks Dave went to the same type country schools as the rest of us!

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:52pm
Yeah he definitely has the polymuric valance viscosity of the water ohm down.

-------------

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 5:46pm
To kind of hijack the post, I was talking to a guy that works for a company that builds mines for mining  companies.  They dig the holes down to the material, set up the lift tower, build buildings etc.  Anyway he told me that once a piece of machinery goes into a salt mine, it never comes back.  One reason is because they have to be dismantled to get them down and they are worn out when they retire them but the other reason is that the machine would rust apart in a short time if it's back on top.  I'm wondering if the salt actually gets into the metal and  causes a change in the metallurgy or something else.  Any chemist's here?

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Posted By: AllisFreak MN
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:12pm
I'm wondering if the salt actually gets into the metal and  causes a change in the metallurgy or something else.  Any chemist's here?
[/QUOTE]I don't know but maybe that would explain my old Chevy pickup.Smile

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:21pm
That is neat video

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:18pm
I know when they brought up Queen Ann's Revenge cannons from 300 years in shallow water off the Outer Banks they spent months and years preparing and stabilizing them for display. Took months just to remove the barnacles.

Posted By: TimNearFortWorth
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:35pm
Used to run subsea wellhead systems from semi-submersibles and drill ships where the surface casing was 1 - 1-1/2" wall thickness. With cement shoe attached to the bottom 40' joint (think one-way check valve) we had to make sure each 30" OD joint was filled at the rig floor when made up which equalized the casing string at the water line while lowering (about 100' below rig floor).
Only ever seen two strings that had to be recovered due to someone forgetting to fill internally while running to the sea floor. Do not remember at what water depth the engineers later figured up the one failed at but made a helluva mess, flattened that heavy wall casing like a paper towel tube.
We got one string back but on the other the snaplock connector parted between casing joints and we dropped the casing. Took an ROV to find it, latch us on with drill pipe/giant cables so we could get it back up under the rig to the moonpool and cut it apart with torches.
We wanted to leave it on the sea floor (2000') but Korean govt. wanted it recovered due to US subs patrolling that area, took us nearly a week.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

This is a very, very important factor... they're two entirely different materials.

Britan's iron industry in the late 1800's was huge in comparison to the US... around 7 million tons of IRON produced in the mid 1870's, and reaching 10 million tons around the time the Titanic's keel was laid (1909).  This production was split- half was iron, the other was early alloys (steels).  Although the ship's design technology was formidable for it's time (1909), the metal, and method was absolutely outclassed in every way by later technology used in US warships.  the Titanic's plates are more iron than 'modern' steel. 

In stark contrast, the CV-8 Hornet's Yorktown-class 1939 hull is STEEL, produced using much better raw materials, process control, alloy chemistry, and quality control.  The US's steel industry went from 2 million tons in the early 1870's to 26 million by the time Titanic was built... and a huge jump up by the time the Yorktown-class carriers were built.  A large majority of the US's ferrous production output was true steel, from the furnaces in Allentown/Bethlehem, Pittsburgh, Birmingham Alabama, Gary, Indiana, Milwaukee, and elsewhere.

The reason why this matters so much... is because the Titanic rests in a spot in the north atlantic where a combination of water temperatures, minerals and gases ejected from rifting have made wonderful home for a type of bacteria that voraciously consumes iron.  The Hornet's aquatic environment is much different with respect to bacteria and algae.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:47pm
That's really neat to learn! Never know what you'll find out on the Allis-Chalmers Forum! 

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:57pm
In the link nella posted on page 1, you can see a cable looped around the drawbar and something on the ship.  There might also be something holding the tractor in the front too.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 2:27am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

This is a very, very important factor... they're two entirely different materials.

Britan's iron industry in the late 1800's was huge in comparison to the US... around 7 million tons of IRON produced in the mid 1870's, and reaching 10 million tons around the time the Titanic's keel was laid (1909).  This production was split- half was iron, the other was early alloys (steels).  Although the ship's design technology was formidable for it's time (1909), the metal, and method was absolutely outclassed in every way by later technology used in US warships.  the Titanic's plates are more iron than 'modern' steel. 

In stark contrast, the CV-8 Hornet's Yorktown-class 1939 hull is STEEL, produced using much better raw materials, process control, alloy chemistry, and quality control.  The US's steel industry went from 2 million tons in the early 1870's to 26 million by the time Titanic was built... and a huge jump up by the time the Yorktown-class carriers were built.  A large majority of the US's ferrous production output was true steel, from the furnaces in Allentown/Bethlehem, Pittsburgh, Birmingham Alabama, Gary, Indiana, Milwaukee, and elsewhere.

The reason why this matters so much... is because the Titanic rests in a spot in the north atlantic where a combination of water temperatures, minerals and gases ejected from rifting have made wonderful home for a type of bacteria that voraciously consumes iron.  The Hornet's aquatic environment is much different with respect to bacteria and algae.

You are showing interest in Titanic, got any input about the coal bunker fire being the reason behind her sinking? Sounds pretty feasible to me but ya don't seem to hear much about it. I'd like to know if it's internet bologna or a for real theory.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:13am
Since this post started I’ve been doing a little research. I found a video that talks about the rescue and sinking. They had it all but saved and moving again when round 2 hit. If I understand correctly after the last man was safely on the rescue boat we actually sunk it our selves. As I understand it it was severely damaged and immobile. Not much mention of the planes cept that some landed on the Enterprise and others crashed in the ocean.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:21am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

In the link nella posted on page 1, you can see a cable looped around the drawbar and something on the ship.  There might also be something holding the tractor in the front too.

The rear tire at the bead isn't centered on the rim if it is still on the rim, I don't think that it is the camera angle making it look that way. The front tire looks ok. There is something half round at the front between the front wheels sticking out whatever that is.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:30am
I wouldn't be least bit surprised if there was a coal bunker fire... it happened all the time... Towboats pushing barges up the river in front of my house would have fires every so often...  but I doubt it had much contribution to the sinking.  Suffice to say that an iceberg was essentially a filet knife to the ship's belly.

CV-8 was beat up pretty bad by three Japanese bombs and two torpedos.  The crew did an incredible job of damage control, kept it afloat, but disabled, it was put in tow behind the Northampton... but at only 5 knots, and no maneuverability, it put TWO ships at serious risk.  Hornet took another torpedo hit, so the crew was pulled off, and they attempted to scuttle it with five inch rounds and torpedos... but it simply would NOT sink.  As it was adrift and abandoned, two Japanese destroyers sent it down with four torpedos.  Because of it still floating after all that damage, guys said the Hornet was a supernatural beast... and it was for that reason, that sailors were proud to see then name was revived with CV-12 (the Essex-class Kearsarge was renamed Hornet when it was finished in '43).  It probably confused and then mortified Japanese naval intelligence a bit to find that a ship they'd just reported sunk, was bearing down on the Caroline Islands only a year-and-something later... but with a totally new look, bristling with weapons and technology they'd never seen. LOL

I'm certain that tug was 'tied down'.  Standard procedure for mobile equipment on ship to be secured when not in use.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:55am
Update from an OLDER Guy that served on old Carriers, the tires were filled with ballast, Cement for point in fact so were a No Flat tire as well. And yes the little tug would have been Battle Secured in its storage location.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 9:01pm
Titanic is said to have been traveling so fast when it hit was because they were trying to empty that bunker but by then the fire had moved into a second bunker and the heat had compromised integrity of the hull.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm
I've heard that theory, and I'll admit I don't know a lot about steamships, but I've often wondered even if they were burning so much coal, couldn't they still keep the reciprocating engines slowed down and just vent excess steam? 

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:56am
Good question, it didn't get into that.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:54am
Venting steam wastes water and energy, the bunker fire had it been happening would not have been helped much as just making lots of free steam does not make use of lots of coal, has to be used and work loaded for the condensers to recover to make more steam. Feed and reheat.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 7:47am
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

I've heard that theory, and I'll admit I don't know a lot about steamships, but I've often wondered even if they were burning so much coal, couldn't they still keep the reciprocating engines slowed down and just vent excess steam? 

Dmiller is spot on...  it's not doing much work, it'd just be making lots of noise...

But also... the steamship's system was a CLOSED LOOP... steam went through the quad-expansion engines, THEN through the turbine, then through ships's dynamos, refrigeration system, cabin heating, and other functions, and condensed as it cooled... finally returning to the boiler feed nurse tank.  This did several things- first, it made absolute greatest use of all fuel energy, next, it provided universal power source for everything... and finally, eliminated the problem of desalination, and RAISING THE TEMPERATURE of feed-water.  If they desalinated and boiled seawater, it'd have to start at about 28F, and be raised to 350F to be ready for propulsion.  Condensing and recovering water meant that it was returning to the water feed tank at about 100F... and it was CLEAN (no salt). 

Them guys a hundred'n something years ago... they were smart.  Mebbie not good at dodging an iceberg, but if they had radar like we do now, it'd be a different story.  If they had genuine steel and arc welding technology (like what was used in the Hornet), it would've bounced off, with a really bad dent down the belly, and been in New York by the afternoon.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net