Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=154682
Printed Date: 07 May 2024 at 6:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AII combine engine
Posted By: Bradleytrench
Subject: AII combine engine
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 10:34am
Last saturday I pulled the cylinder head on my A ll combine to find a hole in the top of the piston from a stuck valve. Priced around for a G230. Found engines but some were worse than mine or wanted a bunch of money. Aftermarket rebuild kit was out of the question. Cheapest i found was $1700.

Just ordered piston, piston rings, and rod bearings to replace #3 in the engine. The parts were cheaper from AGCO than aftermarket. Plus now i know ill have the correct compression ratio as the other 5 cylinders. I will have this combine running by Saturday.

Replies:
Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 11:31am
glad you found something reasonable.  i wasnt aware agco still supplied parts for these.  I have a complete 230 i pulled from a salvage combine, i considered contacting you but i couldnt guarantee what it was like inside.

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Posted By: Don(MO)
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

glad you found something reasonable.  i wasnt aware agco still supplied parts for these.  I have a complete 230 i pulled from a salvage combine, i considered contacting you but i couldnt guarantee what it was like inside.
Joel I forgot you have a G-230 in your barn, PM me with your phone number I'd like to talk to you about it.
Don

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:31pm
pm sent

-------------

Posted By: AC7060IL
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 5:38pm
Interesting post. Thanks. Did #3's valve just fall into piston? Or were other things happening to cause the piston's hole? Pistons look like they're dished deep. Did Buda also use a "power crater" style piston like AC??

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 9:00am
Thanks Joel, you are a big help.
It had a stuck ex valve that found the top of #3 piston. Buda used  power crater pistons in lots of Allis Chalmers combines/tractors.

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 9:15am
When that engine was built, it was an A-C G-230 or a G-262. They evolved from the Buda engine line, but were NOT a Buda. AC bought Buda in 1953 and this was a mid sixties engine.  They were an AC engine and Power Crater combustion chamber design came with it. True Buda engines never had a flat cylinder head or dished pistons to my knowledge.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 7:19pm
The engine saga continues. Friday nighr I Pulled th engine off the combine to replace piston and rings. Pulled the pan. Started to decarbon the top of the sleeve. Found a broken sleeve. Got upset and was about to scrap the comibne.

Earlier these I had found an engine out in middle Kansas off a straight A combine. Saturday morning, dad (Don MO) and I took off for Chapman Ks. Got out there pulled the plugs. Engine had little to no cylinder pressure. Pulled the rocker lever cover. Rolled engine over all the valves moved. So nothing was stuck. Loaded it in the back of the truck. Back to Missouri we came.

After we unloaded it. I pulled the plugs. Put oil in the cylinders. Did a full tune up one the engine. Tried to start it. It would hit. Miss and die. Dad and I screwed around trying different stuff trying to get it running. Dad stuck his hand over the carberator inlet. It has very little vaccum. I said screw we will pull the intake manifold off tomorrow and replace the gaskets. Thinking it was leaking from them. I called my agco parts man. He had an intake gasket. Plus some other odds and ends i needed. He was going to by close. We met up and got the parts.

This afternoon. We went though pulled the manifold off. Low and behold there the 3 intake ports were full of mud dobber nests. Cleaned them out. Manifold was full and muffler was full of mud dobber nests. Cleaned manifold. Replaced the muffler with a new one. Set the timing after finding tdc#1 marking front pulley and jt still wouldnt start. Fuel would run out of the carb if you choked it long enough. Had good vaccum. Found that the distributor was sticking and the dwell was wrong. Replaced distributor out if blown up engine. Reset points. Timing. Checked dwell. All is well. Still would start. Took carb apart. Found some water in the bowl. Cleaned and blew out jets. Reassembled. Put carb on engine crank and cranked. Spit sputter and die. At this point im
I think back to the three tions. Carberation, ingnition, and compression you will have combustion. So i pull the plugs back out. They are carbon full of crap. Cleaned them put them back in. Spit sputter die. Pull the plugs back out. Full of crap again. Dad said must if fot carried away with the seafoam in the gas tank. It took 8 ties of cleaning the crap out out of the plugs to get it to run. You would not believe the crap that came out of the exhaust once it was running and it was still missing. Cleaned plugs once more and it ran perfect. Idles perfect. Good oil pressure very little to no blow by.

This thing tested dad and I's patients.

Next weekend get it on the combine. Be ready for chapter 2

Bobby.

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:01am
Mud Daubers... #1 reason my grandfather always pulled out the choke on his gas engines after shutting them off.  didn't keep the critters out of the exhaust though... and I've seen plenty of plugged-up mufflers.  Unhappy

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:39am
Bob,
I could almost feel your pain. You guys did a nice job bringing that one back to life. With a lung transplant. heart triple bypass, some nervous system repair and lots of chest compression's! Amazing! Looking forward to round #2 and picking corn!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Albert
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:03pm
Snow just to the North of you so we'll give you another week.
Albert

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 6:27am
Patience is a virtue. I found over the years....... well, for example, I've gotten mad, gave my hammer a fling out into the woods. What did that gain me? A walk in the woods looking for my hammer. You'll wreck more things when you're mad. I learned from an older neighbor of mine. That man has patience. When he works on something and it isn't going right, he'll stop, sip some coffee, light a cigarette and think on it. I've learned a lot from him......... well cept the smoking and coffee.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 7:35am
Bob and I where mad at the engine but I think it was because we both knew the right way to make it run good was to go through the engine them move on the next part of the refit. I was the holdup to a full engine rebuild based on the fact we didn't know the condition of the combine, so I pushed for the cheep on the engine to see what the combine needed to run first, boy was that not the way to go at it and we both knew that. This started out as a parts combine not to be a runner and well things changed I think for the better. lmao    

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:37am
Glad to hear it worked out well.  Now I know why my half a$$ attempts at starting didnt work, LOL.

-------------

Posted By: Sandknob
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:16pm
Gleaner A or A2?

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 1:21am
Cal, Bobby is happy with the engine now that she is running good he is even happier with it. LOL Thanks for the help.
It is an "AII" all the way, remember that two row head I got from you years ago, it might go back to work on the old Gleaner if all go's right. This old AII is going to get one good refit and put back to work side by side with my older "A" shelling corn, cutting beans and grass seed in little fields the big boys can't get in. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Snow just to the North of you so we'll give you another week.
Albert
Thanks for the one more week to get her back up, I hope Bob will have some time this weekend to get back on it. I know you have done a great job with the parts, Bob thinks you are the best with all the NOS parts.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 6:26pm
Progess as of today on this project

https://youtu.be/EL1IDm8Lzus" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/EL1IDm8Lzus

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 7:57pm
sounds good Bobby! Keep up the good work.

Posted By: Michael Crowe
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:40pm
Looks like it’s ready to get in the field! Get it on tape running in a crop!

-------------
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/

Posted By: gleaner1
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:34am
Wow, that's a lot of effort for keeping an A2 alive. I have to give you credit.
I spent 3 weeks working on dads L3 this fall and felt half way through it probably should have just been driven to the shredder.
Good job.

-------------
ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:55am
Great job guys getting that combine functional again! Looks like its ready! Have fun in the field Bobby !
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 8:20pm
I felt the same way about this one when the engine was junk. I even made the comment, "Load this piece of s:;t up, its going to the scrap." Dad had to calm me down. Im glad he did.

Dad can tell you more about the machine. He said its a Corn Soybean special.?.?.? All i know is The A and A2 are getting harder to find.

So bringing this one back has tested my patients. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have to thank Dad for introducing me to a couple really good parts guys. If it wasnt for them, it would still be setting in front of his shop as yard art.

Another obstacle thats in my way is work. I have only been able to work on this 3 sundays and a saturday. Hopefully by this Sunday itll be field ready.

Posted By: Dave974
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 10:50pm
Great job...that thing looks good!  Thanks for sharing.

Seeing the video of it running brought back some great childhood memories from when my Dad had an A2 corn/soy special back in the '80s.  I remember the chain drive cylinder, manual steering, and having to stick your hand outside the cab to engage the separator clutch.  We ran a 13' platform and 3-30 cornhead on it.

The combine is long gone but I'm pretty sure we still have a few parts for it laying around including several of the cylinder drive sprockets of various sizes and possibly a few cleaning screens.  I'd have to check and see exactly what we have but if you have a use for any of that stuff, you're welcome to it.

Posted By: Carl(NWWI)
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 11:30pm
I know the feeling, have done nothing but fight my A2 the last year. Had zero compression on number 3. Found push rod broken in 2 pieces, head was completely shot. Had that rebuilt and replaced push rod, runs absolutely beautiful. Replaced all the Walker bearings and blocks, fixed the raddle floor, then it ate the raddle chain so I put a Manchester manufacturing chain in it. Was using it in beans a month ago and the front beater locked up. Rubbing on the side of the feeder house for some reason. Haven't fixed it yet.

But, it's a beautiful combine and fun to run. Let me know if you run it in corn, would like to know settings. Last year mine was a hammer mill. Got a 66 tooth sprocket now, haven't tried it yet.

Carl

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 2:10pm
Great videos! I, too, would love to see videos when you get it to the field. I'm partial to the A/AII machines. 

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:03pm

Its like Christmas at my house. New belts. Couple of more gaskets to fix an oil leak. Im going to cut beans this weekend

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:55pm
We hope the rain holds off, Its not looking good here to the north.
Wow that old belt looks good!
Albert

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 7:17am
Bob showed up to pickup some parts he had shipped from Albert to my farm on his WD/33 corn picker at the end of the row as I was shelling my corn with my older "A" Gleaner, sorry no pic of the field meeting but I will say it looked cool two old work horses stopped at the end of a corn row still getting it done.  

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 12:35pm

Hated to do this buuutttttt. I was tired of fighting rust and the engine dying. Im going to see if i can make it down the road to the field now. Hoping for a video soon   

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 9:50pm
https://youtu.be/dXOtuk5J8B4" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/dXOtuk5J8B4
https://youtu.be/iertoPu50II" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/iertoPu50II

Heres a video of cutting beans today. This thing has fought me tooth and nail. Enjoy. Bobby

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:00am
Now that Bob has his AII up and running it will find a home inside my toy box somehow right next to my older "A" for the winter, hope they play nice with my toys in the dry. Bob is looking at my 10' header for beans next year and I told him it will be a barn cleanout to get it out but if he needs it the barn will get the much needed clean up so he can use it.

-------------

Posted By: Michael Crowe
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:32pm
Bob I just saw the first video; awesome looking and working combine!

-------------
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:41pm
My view for the evening from the cab of my A2.

Cut 5.5 acres in 4 hrs. Cut 320 bushels of soybeans.

Had a great day. Tomorrow. Im going to watch it snow. Bobby Mo

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:09am
Those beans look pretty good for standing that long in the weather they've been through. Way to go! Yer gonna have me missing my old A2!

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:36am
I'm liking the new LED lights, you can really see the diff from the old top lights to the LED's on the bottom.
Bob has done a lot of work bringing the old "AII" back to a sound working combine in a short time. He called me around 3PM Sat. to come out and look at the AII cutting beans, he was running spot-on, just a little trouble with the non floating head digging in but after some time in the seat he was getting a handle on that too. Good job Bob!   

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:33pm

Bought a straight A 14 ft head. While walking around, I found an A2 14 ft head. Next winter project, build the A2 header.

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:04pm
sounded pretty smooth

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:06pm
Great progress and videos! Enjoyed every second. 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:26pm
I helped Bob unload the two heads first thing this morning with my D15 fork lift (it was cold that time of the day too) heads didn't look bad to me. Bob is not going to get to his WD45 Diesel for a sometime on down the road with all is new toys. This is the way Bobby go's at all his work wide-open!!!!   

-------------

Posted By: Reindeer
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:02pm
Nice videos!  Enjoyed seeing you getting the old girl running!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net