Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=154318
Printed Date: 20 May 2024 at 4:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How screwed up is this?
Posted By: thendrix
Subject: How screwed up is this?
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:03pm
My wife is a 5th grade teacher. There is a rule that says she CAN NOT post a grade lower than a 60! These kids can REFUSE to do their homework and they still get a damn 60! Why? Because a 60 average is easier to bring up than a 0! What the hell are they teaching these kids???? What good is that???

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Replies:
Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:06pm
Heard on the radio, today, that a teacher got fired, for that same thing...Thumbs Down

Posted By: Lee (MN)
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:13pm
Thank you school administrators! 😮

Lee

-------------
B212
Willy's Jeeps
Gleaner K

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Heard on the radio, today, that a teacher got fired, for that same thing...Thumbs Down

Yup. She stood her ground and tried to do the right thing.

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:31pm
part of that every ones a winner, everyone gets a trophy attitude
that they're raising kids on now

i guess it keeps the GPA up enough that the  school system doesn't look like its
failing at teaching. Tyler, your wife is a hero! I don't see how anyone
could be a teacher these days!

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:33pm
nothing new.. up here, I KNOW that 40 years ago teachers were TOLD to pass everyone... NO exceptions....
I heard last week that you can become a cop here in Ontario without ANY PHYISCAL test ! No running or obstacle courses ! Levels the playing field for both 100# girls and 400# guys...
Also WRITING ( the 2nd R...) is NOT taught anymore....
sigh...
no
dbl sigh.....

Jay

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: Animal Cracker
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Thank you school administrators! 😮

Lee
Yep, this how liberal democrat's play.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:57pm
nothing against women or small..... but years ago I was talking to a Fireman that was probably 6'2" and 240 pounds.......... We were talking about " not passing the physical test"... his comment was, "When I go into a burning building with a buddy, I always hope he is 6' tall and 240 pounds so he can drag my ars back outside IF NEEDED "!! ..... Diversity is fine, but within reason, and DONT WORK on some jobs.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: FloydKS
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 7:34pm
agree with all said above...values are not values any more...or we do not value them that should be valued...

-------------
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 8:15pm
Because your wife can see how wrong this is, she is the kind we need teaching. Hopefully she can keep her head down and be there for the few that want to learn.

That has been going on over here on the "progressive left coast" for some time. It was a good part of why my wife  retired at 60 but less than 25 years. A year or 2 more would of upped the retirement a  good bit.

The more the district she worked in has gone down hill the happier she is about getting out. The district got a new wonder boy superintendent the same time she left. He has used up the 10% reserve that was in place when he started. The state demands 3% and he is less than 1% at this point in the year. The school board except for one still think he is wonderful. 

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 8:43pm
Tyler, THANK your wife for having the fortitude to be a teacher in our government schools. There is no way I could do it, I would be in jail for either assault or murder, maybe both. This is all part of dumbing down of our kids so the government can better control them, they don't want to teach the kids to think for themselves or take responsibility for their actions. No homework they should get a flat zero not a 60 to make the statistics look good and not hurt little Johnny's feelings.

Good teachers should be paid a lot more and the poor ones weeded out. And a lot of the funds could come from getting rid of the overpaid and often clueless administrators. And why does it take approximately 3 times the amount of local (property) taxes to run the school system than it does the rest of the entire county?

Now you've gone and got me all wound up and I won't be able to go to sleep for a while. 

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Posted By: wfmurray
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 8:51pm
When i was put in the army M P's you had to be 5/9
 and at least 160 lbs .I was 6  ft and 218 lbs .They thought i would fit right in.P S  No criminal record of any kind.

Posted By: marion
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 5:27am
rented a house one time to a gal that had had 6 kids, only had 2 last ones when I had her
she was real proud of last one as he was only one to graduate, one day I stopped by
and they were in kitchen working on something and I looked over her shoulder and ask
what they were doing, . the boy had brought home a job application from taco bell
and she had to fill it out for him, I remember looking at the box with his name in it
it looked like a 2 year old had been drawing in it.

when I was in school all senior boys were required to take home ec. never figured that
one out. but now I think the last year should be dedicated to how to act in prison as
high school is a training base for prison, as that is their next step

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 6:13am
The ONLY possible good side I see coming from it is when these kids hit the real world they'll have a terrible time and MAYBE make their kids do good in school so it's not so hard on them

-------------

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 7:55am
It seems as if everything has to be “Dumbed Down” for almost anything these days.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 7:56am
This is part of why I say we're screwed....when it comes to filling jobs that take the least bit of skill.

Posted By: mdm1
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:50am
The problem with everyone being the same is we hinder the achievers. Why should I work hard when the guy at the bottom gets the same as the guy at the top. We need to start rewarding the achievers and maybe it will stimulate the bottom people to want to become the one at the top. When they get into real life no one is going to protect them anymore.

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:55am
The "Dumbing Down of America" which has been going on for a LOOoooong time,,,,,late 70's of early 80's.
I've heard of this process before, that the teachers have to follow.  Comes from the FEDS, not the local or even the state.  Part of the "No child left behind" BS.
WHEN are the governors of the states going to stand their ground and tell the feds to go to Hades?  Over stepping States rights....
Tyler, your wife is a saint for even TRYING to teach.  The main problem is that they don't EDUCATE these kids now, they are indoctrinated instead,,,,according to the feds.  SOoooo sad.

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:18am
At my employer, we have record setting sales, we have income, we are hiring.....you do need 1/2 a brain.

This week's hiring statistics: tried to hire 3, 2 failed the drug test.  We see if number 3 makes it through the first week.

We were talking to a machine salesman yesterday, he sees shops all over the place, everybody seeing the same.  He told us one company just dropped their drug test, now just do a criminal background check.  Dropping the drug test, what's that mean for plant safety?

These people who have been run through the school mill the last 25 years, are the ones we have to fill jobs.  On the job training shouldn't include 2+2 is 5 because I think so!

Posted By: Stan IL&TN
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:19am
Another problem is that the schools only teach to pass the standard tests. They don't teach what the kids need to survive and thrive in the world. This is why they come out of high school and can't manage their money or even fill out a job application.

-------------
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:16am
the ONLY thing 'kids need to survive' is to know how to apply for all the free cheese.
get rid of that and man, kids WILL want to KNOW real stuff....

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:32am
Kids yes, the 20-40 year olds already through the system that are left to fill jobs we need right now aren’t worth a crap for the most part.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Kids yes, the 20-40 year olds already through the system that are left to fill jobs we need right now aren’t worth a crap for the most part.

Easy Tbone I resemble that group

I spent 10 years at a company similar to the one you described. When I first started the CEO would come out and shake your hand and talk to you like anybody else. He was an average Joe. Then they replaced him with a numbers guy. He'd still go around and talk to folks when he had time but he wasn't a people person and didn't care what environment the employees were in as long as they made the numbers. When I first started if you had a felony you didn't work there. If you had a DUI in the last 5 years you didn't work there. They dropped the DUI thing not long after I started. As the environment got worse, so did the new hires. Last I heard if you fail a drug test you have to sign a waiver releasing the company from any responsibility for your personal safety. You get to fail 2 more before you're fired. And we're talking about a very heavy industrial company. They make aluminum extrusions for airplanes. Some of which weigh 25 or so lbs/ft and are up to 100 ft long

-------------

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 12:32pm
That's why we have no draft for the Army now a days, what comes out of school is to dumb to use the high tech equipment the military has. SAD

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I spent 10 years at a company similar to the one you described. When I first started the CEO would come out and shake your hand and talk to you like anybody else. He was an average Joe. Then they replaced him with a numbers guy. He'd still go around and talk to folks when he had time but he wasn't a people person and didn't care what environment the employees were in as long as they made the numbers. When I first started if you had a felony you didn't work there. If you had a DUI in the last 5 years you didn't work there. They dropped the DUI thing not long after I started. As the environment got worse, so did the new hires. Last I heard if you fail a drug test you have to sign a waiver releasing the company from any responsibility for your personal safety. You get to fail 2 more before you're fired. And we're talking about a very heavy industrial company. They make aluminum extrusions for airplanes. Some of which weigh 25 or so lbs/ft and are up to 100 ft long
I guess I need to clarify a little better, I'm talking about those folks still looking for a job at that age, not those such as yourself that have been working and doing well at it.  I'm talking about finding people to fill jobs, there isn't much out there to choose from.  The good ones are already working, nothing left.

Posted By: wfmurray
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:24pm
  My wife worked as teachers assisant years ago .Her job was to teach star football player how to write a check.Last i heard of him was in prison for drugs.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 4:10pm

Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I guess I need to clarify a little better, I'm talking about those folks still looking for a job at that age, not those such as yourself that have been working and doing well at it.  I'm talking about finding people to fill jobs, there isn't much out there to choose from.  The good ones are already working, nothing left.

I'm just picking at you Tbone. I agree with you completely. You can't hardly find those "good old boys" that'll do what's asked of them without question or complaint. Now they all want to know what's in it for them

-------------

Posted By: mdm1
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm
I guess in all honestly there are still good hard working kids out there! I happen to be the Dad of two who have gone to college and are working in their chosen profession. But they are getting very tired and non tolerant of the not producing people they are now supporting! I wonder how this all happened? I have my own ideas. Oh my daughter-in-law is a teacher.

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 1:10am
dang....I wish it was like that when I was going to school! LOL

Posted By: Les Royer
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:12am
I'm going to pick on my own son. He ain't gonna see it so what's the harm?

I remember him asking me while a senior in High school how to address a letter. He needed to file for college aid.

After college, and with a degree in Aerospace engineering he calls me up on the phone. We live over 2 hours apart.

Hey Dad? Could you drive your pickup up here to Des Moines? I bought a ladder at Menards I need to get home.

Ok, let me repeat to make sure I heard you correctly. 
You can get a rocket to mars, but you can';t get a ladder home from Menards. Iz that right? There was silence on the other end followed by some kind of grumbling.  You're a body builder. You lift weights you ca                                                                                                                                                                                                                   n bench press 300 lb. Couldn't muster up the strength to lug it home 6 blocks?,.l

Bill Cosby is in triuble but I rem,ber him saying ssomething that holds very true in a lot of cases. All folks under the age of 30, suffer from Brain damage.

I came up with this one that I noticed while having employees.
You can get a lot more work done with one employee that you can with two.

-------------
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.

Posted By: Les Royer
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:30am
Oh crap. I forgot the other son. This one joins the Army. He hates school. He already has been kicked out of Nortbhwest Missouri State for maintaining a whopping 1.9grade poimt average,.. Apparently they kinda frown on that. So he joins the Army. And he's lured in by the claim the Army will pay you a $30,000 bonus IF  you complete bomb dismantle school. Which he didn't.

He he. I'm chuckling to myself at this point. This chump iz gonna be washing dishes for the Army for 6 years.

So what does the Army do with a lad who flunks out of college and now bomb school?
Well you put him in Army Intelligence, of course. And he sat at a desk for the Army for the next 6 years. Never left the states. I was waiting for a purple heart for a paper cut.

-------------
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:43am
Mad Dog Mattis just came out and stated there are fewer and fewer eligible enlistees or inductees available for military service as they are so STUPID, So OUT OF SHAPE, this leaves our nation in peril. The dumbing down of the US education system did this.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:17am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

dang....I wish it was like that when I was going to school! LOL

From comments you have dropped I bet you were made to get your homework done at homeWinkso whats the problem????????LOL  Nobody feed the doges and they ate your homework everydayWinkWinkWink.

My wife ran into kids that had parents that still made them do homework, as well as a bunch that didn't care.
As well as orders from on high that they where to give a hours worth of home work for the "average" kid. To having new revolutions coming to those on high that there should be no more than 10 minutes work sent home. 

The longer she was there the more common it became to have kids that did the homework but would not turn it in. She had a place for them to put it, and if they failed to put it there,just like they never did it.  Part of the responsible for nothing thinking. You did the work just put it on the desk. 

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:51pm
I wouldn't have had to work so hard then Ray! I hated homework, gits out of school and it was time to chase girls! (and other things)!

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 1:43am
 I'm thinkin that all this is coming from the fed with their"everybody gets a prize" BS. It's hard to believe that some people actually believe in the BS they get the politicians to sponsor. Nobody wants to be first anymore,,cause "what's the use" everybody is going to pass anyway,,,,I'll bet the Rooskies and Chinese and japanese dang sure won't ever adopt these programs in the new World Order,,,,,,,

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 11:54am
Yes politicians are responsible for most of the trouble at school. An one side is not any better than the other sideAngry.

The idea of "The no child left behind" was,still is needed but sure do need someone with a functional brain to write it. Cause what Bush came up with is worthless.

Would help if the union did not take the idea every teacher is good no matter how do nothing they are. AngryAngryAngry

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 11:13pm
Another silly thing I heard in school. They didn't have enough girls for softball team, I thought wow that's sad nobody wants to play, but what's happening is they get cut off the team for bad grades. But I feel they should be made to come to the practices and sit the bench tell grades come up. im not big on sports and think schools prioritize them to much but it's sad when there's only half a team and have to forfeit games

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net