Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=154164
Printed Date: 01 Jun 2024 at 12:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Time for firewood cuttin yet?
Posted By: DREAM
Subject: Time for firewood cuttin yet?
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 8:19pm
Just got finished tuning up the Mcculloch 1010S(papa bear). Got the little Stihl 009L(baby bear) and Echo CS4400(mama bear) going last week. Still a little too hot down here to do much serious wood cutting, though I did push over a 20" red oak last week and bucked into 10' sections for later. was afraid it would go over and lodge if we got much wind from the hurricane. Trunk was hollow for about 6' up, and had started to buckle. Hurricane turned out to be no issue here. Just feel for anyone who was in it.
Anyways, just wondering if anyone else had started getting wood in, or was getting ready. Love to see what kind of saws everybody likes, and some pictures. Currently having a few problems posting pics here.

-------------
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!

Replies:
Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 8:22pm
Getting ready to fight the chiggers and ticks here, have a need to drop some dead stuff before winter.

Posted By: TDF
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:16pm
Not cutting yet. Still too warm. Like a chill in the air if I'm gonna work that hard. Run a husqvarna saw. Here's a pic of the Hols Hausen I built from some the wood cut up last winter. My first attempt at one. Thought it turned out pretty nice. All ash or mulberry. Over 2 cords of wood there.

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 11:08pm
TDF….that's cool lookin! I cut firewood all year round! haven't used any cept for yard fire pit past 10 years or so, but think'in bouts getting some up to the house for "just in case" this winter. I do donate a lot of the wood to the boy/girl scouts for their outings. and I give some away to my law enforcement friends. they tell me they heat part of their houses with it, I think they just light up a fire in the fireplace so they can gits laid in front of it!

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 11:43pm
What was that about mind in the gutter on the other topic, yep you got there. Clap

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 1:17am
We cut a couple big cherry trees down back in late June early July and hauled them home.  Cut them in manageable pieces,  Loaded them and hauled them with my D14.  Took 4 loads with my 16' car hauler and 3 or 4 loads with the truck.  The small stuff was cut, split and stacked.  The big logs are still laying where they were laid.  Got another guy coming over to cut up the trunks.  They are about 2' in diameter.  He has a bigger saw than we do.  I think we have about 2 full cords ready.  That should get us thru the winter.  We use it to heat my friends shop.  he has a hoist and about any tool you need to repair cars with. 

I really like that stack you made there.  I never heard that term before, German?  What are the dimensions on it?  Appears to be about 7' tall and 8' in diameter.  Lotta wood there!

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 4:21am
That is a neat stack TDF.

Mine gets dumped out of the loader bucket.  LOL

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:00am
Too hot for me to be cutting firewood. I have enough for this winter and several big oaks down that I need to get out of the woods. Going to cut and load some when it gets cooler and take to a friend.

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:26am
I could have used some firewood last night. It got down to 37 here. Had the furnace going. Less than a week ago we had the air conditioner going. My main chain saw is a Stihl; can't remember what model. Also have a couple poulans and one old Allis Chalmers model 75 that my Grandpa bought brand new in the early70's, and it still runs good. Darrel

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:27am
Oh, forgot to mention, that I too like that firewood stack that you have there, TDF

Posted By: B26240
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:30am
I will wait till last half of Oct. , or after deer season (all of november)  all bugs and ticks will be gone then.   Wood I cut this fall will be for winter of 19/20.    I do have a wood shed to store it in.

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

That is a neat stack TDF.

Mine gets dumped out of the loader bucket.  LOL
Exactly!  More friggin' work in stacking than cutting there lol!

Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 7:50am
I need to cut a bunch of walnut trees that are crowding out driveway on the south, and are higher than the power lines on the south.
Could use some help.

Dusty

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 8:25am
Well Dusty, I was through your way twice in the last month....you should have said something!  Not sure how much wood I could haul in the wife's CX 5.  But the saw would have fit. 

Why did the close The Gavel by the way?  I thought that was good.

Posted By: TDF
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I really like that stack you made there.  I never heard that term before, German?  What are the dimensions on it?  Appears to be about 7' tall and 8' in diameter.  Lotta wood there!

Yep. German. I think the direct translation is wood house. They don't put the pipe in the middle, that was an idea of mine because I had that pipe laying around. Figured it made it look like it had a smoke stack. Nailed the dimensions. 8 ft diameter and just over 6 feet tall. They're rather easy to build. Actually easier than a normal wood stack. Once you get the circle built and start up, you start throwing the uglies loose in the middle and only use the pretty wood for the outside. I'll build another one when I take this one down to burn it in a year or so.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 4:59pm
john(MI) how do you get by on 2 cords of wood for the winter? I hear tell it's more like 15-20 cords.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

john(MI) how do you get by on 2 cords of wood for the winter? I hear tell it's more like 15-20 cords.

2 full cord is 6 face cord.  We are not heating it to 70* day and night.  Let it get down at night and bring it up to around 60  during the day.  Makes for a real nice working temp.  If someone is burning 15 - 20 facecord a season, they are wasting a lot of firewood.  When I burned wood in the house I heated the entire 1600 sq ft with 7 - 8 facecord a season.  And that was heating into the 70's day and night.

-------------

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 7:26am
I've been cutting up trees and limbs every few weeks this summer simply to keep the overgrowth under control.  Most of this summer's yield was red oak and soft maple, in a few weeks there'll be some more catulpa.

For my day-to-day, I have a Stihl MS-180 with improved exhaust and 3-degree timing advance, running a .050 14" bar and matching chain.  Contrary to the chatter otherwise, the 180's powerhead has no problem pulling it over the factory 'pico' chain, and the kerf is wide enough to keep the bar from binding.  Also in the 'small' armory is an Echo CS-310, which is stock, not as powerful as the MS180, but smooth and fairly quiet, great for stripping off twigs.

I handle the medium-weight work and smaller felling with a Shindaiwa 575 with a 24" bar.  It's a torquey beast, and has no difficulty sectioning 40" trunks or bucking 24" oak limbs into splittable pieces.

For really big felling or bucking, I use a Stihl MS-880 with a 40" bar... but not for very long...  I'm only man enough to sling that beast for a while.  When felling a 65" diameter soft maple, it left me standing in a big pile of woodchips every time.  Great machine at what it does, and once it's chewing through a big felled trunk under it's own weight, it's easy (just hold the throttle down and let it eat) but I hate carrying it, and swinging that long bar into position... the bar and chain weigh as much as the saw, and it's WAY out there.

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:22am
 Hey Dave Kamp,,,,,,it's good to hear from youse again,,!!Clap Well,,,I CAN vouch bout you manhandlin them big chainsaws around,,,,,,,I still remember watchin you MANHANDLING the D14 engine around your trk bed like it was a small B&S,,,,,,,,,LOL   
  You should slow down and do your back some favors tho,,,,,,,,Clap

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Well Dusty, I was through your way twice in the last month....you should have said something!  Not sure how much wood I could haul in the wife's CX 5.  But the saw would have fit. 

I don't remember for sure why the Gavel closed but I think the owner retired.
Someone reopened it as a rather upscale restaurant called the Dolson. But didn't last a year.
Back when cars were first being built, there was a Dolson built in Charlotte.

Next time your passing threw and have time stop by. We are only 1 mile off I-69 exit #66.

Dusty

-------------

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 6:30pm
I have trees piled up back of the hay barn I drug up last winter to cut up and I have some back in the woods to cut. Probably start next month. My Stihl O26 is 28 years old and starting to show it's age like it's owner! I also have a Stihl 461 for the bigger trees. I like to cut wood. I have been looking at replacing the O26 just haven't pulled the trigger! I am not color blind. Just want a saw I can get parts for. I have 2 Stihl dealers and 3 Husqvarna dealers all within 10 miles of me. 2 of the Husqvarna dealers are big box marts so I would not buy from them as no service. I have heated with wood for over 40 years and used chainsaws made by McCullough and Homelite and now Stihl. As the Homelite dealer down the road from me used to say" They'll all cut wood unless you put the chain on backwards"!

Posted By: ocharry
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:26am
i got an old husky that i use,,,been down in the woods painting the dead trees so i knows which ones need cleared out when the leaves are gone,,,got a few to cut this year,,,wood is all stacked on the south wall inside the barn from last year for this years burnin,,,that stuff is good and ready,,,i can get about 5 cord stacked on that wall,,,should be plenty,,cutting this year will be for next years burning,,,

and yep it aint cool enough just yet for me to go to the gym,,,last year i sat down on one of them logs i was working on to take a little break,,,,and i says,,,,self,,,,just where is that veeeerraalll fella that used to could do this sh---stuff all day and never think twice about it,,,ahahahhaa,,,,i do still enjoy cutting wood,,,like being out in the woods ,,smelling the wood while you are cutting ,,,and most of all when you back your arse up to the ol wood stove and feel it all the way to the bone,,,,and i like smelling it when its a burnin,,,,hope i have a saw in my hand when it happens,,,,but i also hope that aint fer a spell yit

ocharry 

Posted By: DREAM
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 8:07pm
Helped my son take down a 36" water oak back around the middle of June so they could put a pool in. Its in manageable pieces waiting for cooler weather. I think they realize now how much of a PITA a pool is, and im glad its at their house and not mine.Thumbs Up. He just bought a Stihl 661 with a 36" bar. Little more than I want to lug around. The Pro Mac with a 28" bar is about all I want. Have to sweat every day for a living. Don't necessarily like doing it for fun. Grandpa always said you got at least one warming from cutting wood, whether you burned any of it or not.
Dave, I like the Shindaiwas too. Sold those years ago. Never ended up with one.
Is an 880 REALLY  necessary?Big smile
TD, that log home of yours looks pretty darn cool!
Ocharry, I use yellow ribbon for marking. Also know about those conversations with self. Don't seem to get as much done in a day as I used to. Days must be getting shorter....

-------------
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!

Posted By: ocharry
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 8:18pm
Yeah yellow tape would be good...I didn't have any but I did have an old can of orange paint...lol...I dont think the saw or the stove will mind...but maybe the maul will...lol

Yeah this old husky gets heavier every year

That wood pile is cool for sure

Ocharry

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:00pm
This is probably a silly question. I got a huge cotton wood tree out by the crick, west 1/2 of the tree is dead. Is cottonwood any good for the wood stove? I have never tried it. Its only about a city block distance from the woodshed, and got to finish up the big old dead red elm in the front corner of the yard. Thanks guys,gonna start cutting after Oct 1st.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:45am
Cottonwood can be burnt for firewood once it days out. The wood can be stringy and hard to split. My father in law used to burn cottonwood and I would split for him with my tractor mounted splitter.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I don't remember for sure why the Gavel closed but I think the owner retired.
Someone reopened it as a rather upscale restaurant called the Dolson. But didn't last a year.
Back when cars were first being built, there was a Dolson built in Charlotte.

Next time your passing threw and have time stop by. We are only 1 mile off I-69 exit #66.

Dusty
I shall keep that in mind, thank you!

Guys I was traveling with, it was time for lunch, I said I know a good place!  Looked all over and couldn't find it, and I was only there once, so I thought I was old and forgetful.  Pulled out Google.....said it was closed!  Bummer.  So, Big Boy it was!

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:28am
I tried seasoned cotton wood once.  Seems to be a little bit of heat and a lot of wood and ashes to haul. 

Posted By: BillinAlberta
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

I tried seasoned cotton wood once.  Seems to be a little bit of heat and a lot of wood and ashes to haul. 
   Thats about all we have to burn here.2 different types of what we call poplar.I think what you call cottonwood is what we call black poplar or black bams. Yup lots of ash and less heat per unit but it is free.
    Wear out a Husky saw every decade or so cutting to fill a 10 by 10 by 8 foot high woodshed every year.
    The house is very well insulated and that will get us through the year.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:36am
I have a pair of large gotten trees, would make good logs to saw into lumber. But who would want cotton wood lumber?

Dusty

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:55am
I haven't had much (any?) experience with cotton wood.  Would it make farm gates or no?

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:19am
https://www.wood-database.com/eastern-cottonwood/" rel="nofollow - https://www.wood-database.com/eastern-cottonwood/

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:23am

Here is the wood from the two cherry trees we cut earlier in the summer, and some old oak someone dropped off.  The wood shed is 8 x8 10.  That should do us for the winter!  That;s my D14 that loaded and hauled the wood.  We cut it all with two 14" Stihl saws.  Took almost three days to move it to where it lays.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:46am
I heat 6000+ square feet with wood, outdoor boiler, 2 circuits.  Takes ~15 PULP cord per year, which I cut and split by hand.  I don't split everything though, usually 8-9 inches and up.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net