Print Page | Close Window

AC Trailer?

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Garden Tractors
Forum Description: A great place to discuss the Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Models
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=148219
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AC Trailer?
Posted By: rustymetal
Subject: AC Trailer?
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 4:39am

Hi, first post, I found this site after an online search for info on AC garden tractors and a trailer I saw...
To make a long story short, I drove an hour yesterday to pickup a pair of 916 parts machines here in NJ.
The guy had a yard full of tractors, of all makes, but what caught my eye was a little yellow tilt trailer marked Allis Chalmers on the side. Its got 8" wheels, small rounded fenders, and Snowco decals on the back of each fender, and it tilts.
He was using it to move around machines that didn't run. I bought the two 916 tractors off him and he used a hand winch to load them onto that trailer to haul them out to the road. When I asked if he was selling the trailer, he said everything is for sale, he's cleaning out the yard. He told me he wanted $600 for the trailer.
When I got home a buddy who has several older AC machines told me it may be a trailer from a 'Terra Tiger" 6 by atv and that they're sort of rare.
Its a light trailer, a lot lighter than the beast I've been hauling around with my car.
Does anyone have any info on these?
I'm going back again next Monday to pickup another pair of tractors like mine in hopes of building another complete machine, maybe I should think about also bringing home the trailer?

Replies:
Posted By: Brad in WA
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:07am
I have one of those but don't know much about them, they are quite rare, mine is the only one i have ever seen. I think they were built before the Terra Tiger came along and were meant for garden tractors.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:09am
Welcome to to forum. Depending on condition that's a good price. Think the Terra tiger trailer also swiveled so you could drive it off. Good luck

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:11am
Brad there was a trailer made for the terra tiger. Snoco also made one for garden tractors, maybe that's what you have

Posted By: talntedmrgreen
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:21am
There were several Snowco models marketed for garden tractors.  Allis and Wheelhorse were the only tractor brands who had Snowco put their name on the trailers.  An Allis Snowco should have an AC model/serial number plate up by the tongue.  Many have been refurbished in the various garden tractor brands that promoted them, so that AC name plate is pretty important to their value.  Even regular Snowco trailers bring a premium (considering they are 40-50yr old, lite duty trailers) from collectors.  There were numerous models, however, and some are more desirable than others. 

-------------
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:43am
This one was about 5 ft by 8 ft and painted the same color yellow as an older B1. There was a black tag on the left front side with some info on it but my eyes aren't good enough to have read what it said. There's an Allis Chalmer's decal on both sides. The wheels were 8" with lugs. the tongue was curved, or stepped down, you pulled a pin to tilt the trailer, once tilted the tongue let the trailer pivot left or right.
I don't need it but if anyone is interested I can get his number or email.
I have a bigger snowmobile trailer I've used for years that will hold four tractors, I don't have the room for another one here.
It was the A/C name on a road trailer that got my attention. I don't think I've ever seen a Terra Tiger in person. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can figure out how to post a few pics of it that I took, I just have to figure out how to get them from my phone to my computer.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:15am
Yea there's some collectors on here that will probably be interested

Posted By: farmtoybuilder
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:17am
This is a terra tiger trailer. And if in good condition it's worth that.

-------------
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:19am
Snowbee trailer is longer and rounded in front and was sold to haul G-T's.

-------------
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   

Posted By: TerraTiger
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:04pm
Rustymetal, pm sent

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 2:14am
The one I saw was like the one in the brochure pic above minus the crossover bar in the front.
I have to go back there this weekend, I'll snap a few pics of it.
So far I bought 7 A/C and Simplicity tractors off the guy, all pretty cheap. He's got a lot left. There's got to be 30 or so more there in various condition. Most are parts tractors, he's keeping only one or two of the newer models for his own use and letting the rest go.

Posted By: Ken(MI)
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 5:20pm
My Grandpa had one back in the sixties, with the shield with radiused corners, it was badged as a Tag-a-Long trailer and was sold to him when he bought a Colt garden tractor from the local Case dealer. Someone told me the Snowco name came along later, but I really don't know.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:19pm
Here's a pic the owner emailed to me this morning. It may not be for a garden tractor but the added width and the fact that the deck is higher than the fenders make it perfect for hauling a tractor too.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:51pm
That sure Looks like the pivoting model at the Tara tiger would use. That’s a real good find

-------------
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494

Posted By: JoeO(CMO)
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:49am
If I remember correctly, wasn't the swinging tongue also used for a snowmobile?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:18am
Yup. With that one in Snowco dress, thats likely what it was sold as.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 3:18pm
It has both Snowco and Allis Chalmers decals on it, the info plate is Allis Chalmers.

Posted By: Jk chalmers
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 2:53pm
So has anyone bought the trailer??

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 3:53pm
We have a snowco trailer for garden tractors has allis chalmers on tag. It's in ruff shape, if any of you get up into the northeast

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:59pm
I still have the trailer, I've been pretty busy at work and haven't done anything with it.
I used it to bring a small boat home about a month ago and the boat is still sitting on the trailer.

Posted By: Jk chalmers
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 6:06am
Ok cool I just hadn’t read that you or anyone had got it from the old man! Good deal

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:38am
I made a deal with the last two machines I bought to include the trailer.
Its in nice shape but I'll likely just pass it on since it takes up a lot of space here.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 1:29pm
It's a model 861 trailer for Terra Tiger. Odd that it has snowco decals and tag doesn't have model number or such on it. If it was in Ohio I would be interested! We have one like it only it has info on tag and Large AC logos on rear of fenders.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:38am
I went to a farm auction a few weeks ago and there was one of these there that looked identical to this one. They had some sort of sprayer mounted on it and it was badly rusted, it had the same Snowco decals on the fenders and Allis Chalmers decals on the sides. It went for $500, but they were most likely after the sprayer as the trailer was completely rusted through.

On this one here, the decal looks as if they missed the boxes when they stamped it, or the stamp was misaligned. There are a few marks but no complete letters on a few boxes.

I've been using it to haul my zero turn between here and my other property down the road. It works great since I can back on and back off, its wide enough for me to spin the mower around on the trailer so I don't have to pivot and tilt it forward.

If a collector wants it, I'd let it go, I sort of feel guilty using it like it is without a proper paint job. I'd just as well get by using an old snow mobile trailer or any 8 to 10' landscape trailer.  I actually have a tilt deck that was built to carry a ditch witch that I could use as well.

Date Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:34am
If it was closer, or smaller to freight, I would take you up on that!

-------------

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:04pm
Hey Rustymetal welcome to the forum! Where bout's you located in NJ? I'm in Sussex County/Green Twp.
Steve@B&B

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 2:31am
I'm in Cumberland Co. about 125 miles due south of Green Twp.

Posted By: silverstreak
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 12:42am
I've been watching this for some time, finally got around to signing up.

I see this trailer still listed on CL in south Jersey, didn't it ever sell?

If that were around here it would be gone in a blink, I can't imagine it still being for sale?
I sold one just like it two years ago for $950 in half that condition. Mine needed tires and lots of metal repair but some guy drove down from NH to get it, he rented a Uhaul when he got here to get it home. I'll never forget how he and his son loaded it, sort of like a pole vault flip up into a box truck.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:14am
Welcome silverstreak

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 6:49pm
Sorry, I haven't been back here in a while.
The trailer is still here, I got a few emails on it but not single person actually showed up to look at it.
I'm thinking I should have left it where it sat.
I think what I'll likely do is weld some sides on it and make it into a leaf catch trailer for my lawn vacuum.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 9:40am
I hope you don't weld sides on it. Make some brackets and bolt on outer deck holes or such. Then when the right guy comes along you can still get a little out of it. If price was lower and father west it would have sold. I can't give 600.00 and come east that far to resell it. 

-------------

Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 10:29am
Also wish you were closer to me.

Dusty

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 12:10am
You can't even buy a cheap Tractor supply trailer around here for less than $600.
I just looked at a tilt bed all sheet metal trailer at Lowes here that's made in China and they want $1150 for it. Its sort of a knock off of what Home Depot used to sell as a Snow Bear trailer. Then add 7% sales tax on top of that.
I was going to cut 16" steel strips out of an old fuel oil tank I picked up as scrap and make metal sides for this. Welding them on is the easiest way. I'd cut the panels from each corner of the tank that way I can end up with a 90 degree lip on all sides. Although its not my color of choice, I also was given several gallons of leftover bridge paint in Sage green polyester urethane. The color most bridges are painted.  The best part is that when put over a good rust converting primer, its nearly un-removable. I've had to weld on a few things I painted with it and it took a 60 grit grinding wheel to get through it.

Posted By: yardiron
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:16pm
I had almost the same trailer about two years ago, it came with a matching Terra Tiger that didn't run. I listed it as a pair for $800 and didn't get a reply. I finally parted the TT out and sold the trailer to a guy who uses it to haul firewood on his property. He torched off the fenders, put on 15" wheels and he bolted an old heating oil tank to it with the top cut out and he uses it like a small pickup bed.
Six wheel ATV's don't sell well around here, there's no place to ride them. As long as Harbor Freight sells a $350 trailer, you won't find anyone to buy a used one either. Lately what I've found is that if its not cheap or free, there's no market for it anymore.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:50pm
AC anything is an oddity around here, there never was any dealers so there never were many AC products sold when it came to anything besides larger farm tractors. There are plenty of old AC "B" models and the occasional "W" tractor so someone must has sold them at one point but the little stuff is few and far between. Cub Cadet and JD were always the more common brand here and each had multiple dealers over the years.
Even the nearest Simplicity dealer, who is long gone now, was over an hour away.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 9:21pm
I still wish you were closer, but I'd be looking at a 200 mile round trip.
I just can't justify killing a day off to come get something I really don't need.

Around here that thing would be gone in a heartbeat. AC and Simplicity are king around here with a few green machines here and there and there's a large Wheel Horse following here.

There's also the issue that NJ doesn't title trailers, and bringing a trailer from NJ to PA is a nightmare. If it don't have an actual title, it takes a lot of legwork here in PA to get it registered. From what I understand, Delaware is the same way.

I lived in NJ for a few years back in the 90's, I brought my boat and trailer with me from PA. Since we didn't title boats here in PA back then, getting a boat title there took two trips to the state police barracks, a certified letter from Fish and Game here in PA, and three trips to the DMV to get the boat registered. The trailer was another issue, since the trailer was older, it had only a 6 digit VIN, which NJ wouldn't recognize. After a trip to the state police, four to the DMV, someone finally just told me it needed to be registered as homemade because no matter what I did the NJ DMV computer will never accept the original VIN. So I registered it as homemade, forfeited the original PA trailer title, and all was good. Until I moved back to PA 15 years later. The boat was no big deal, just a fee and I got a new PA title for it, but PA refused to recognize a NJ 'Homemade' trailer registration. They do not acknowledge the NJ DMV generated VIN and insisted on more proof of ownership. I ended up just selling the thing in NJ and buying a new trailer in PA. PA wanted me to find a PA trailer manufacturer who would certify and issue a VIN number on my old trailer, most wouldn't bother, the few that would wanted more than the trailer was worth.

Posted By: yardiron
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 9:54pm
I've heard that PA is tough on homemade trailers, here we just have to take a few pics, get a weight slip and go get a tag. They assign a new VIN to most all trailers unless they have an unbroken line of paperwork from day one, which when it comes to old trailers, isn't very often. I've owned trailers I bought new, let them sit for a few decades, then decide to tag them back up and they want me to pay all the past years registration. That's not going to happen so it gets registered as homemade.

I keep hearing the economy is getting better but as far as buying and selling things like old tractors, boats, or outboards, its been getting steadily worse for the past 10 or 11 years now. There was a time when I'd list a clean old AC tractor and I'd get a dozen emails, now I'm lucky to get one, and maybe a few low ball offers at less than scrap weight. No one has any money, and those that do buy new equipment. There's no in between these days. Guys are either living paycheck to paycheck or they're making enough money to not bother with the old stuff anymore.
There's also far less people who will buy a project or something that needs some work.
If it don't start and run like a brand new machine, they're not interested. They don't know the difference between surface rust and rot, they don't know the difference between American Made Iron and box store crap either.
I can sell as many box store riders as I can get, regardless of the brand just so its shiny, but the old stuff draws little to no interest these days.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 10:54pm
In general, all you get from CL these days is tire kickers and lowballers. They get mad when you won't sell it for scrap weight or less.
I've had two or three calls on the trailer so far but all were at least 6+ hours away.
I had a guy email then finally call me on another trailer I have listed. He was from CT, about a 3 1/2 hour drive from here without traffic. He had me measure it, give him several specs, then he asked for directions and my address. (Keep in mind he replied to an ad on South Jersey CL). When I told him he's looking at roughly 8 hours round trip, he backed out, saying it was too far to drive.
 I sold the trailer the next day to a guy who drove up from Florida to get it. When that guy got here he tells me he had no idea NJ was so far from FL???

I listed an old camper I inherited over the summer, it was in OK shape, but it was about 40 years old. I had no interest in it so I listed it for $800 cash. I got several dozen emails but no one ever showed up to even look at it after about four months.
Then one weekday about a month ago, I get an email from a guy saying he's up this way from Texas and saw my ad. I gave him my address and he came right over. He was driving an older Toyota Prius, complete with a shiny new trailer hitch.
He looked the camper over, handed me cash, hitched it up and drove away. Again, no tag, no light hook up, nothing, not even a place to hook the safety chains. Three days later he emailed me a pic of him with his car and the trailer in front of the bulkheads in Galveston, TX.
It wasn't a huge camper but it was still 26ft with a tandem axle. My half ton pickup definitely knew it was towing something.  I couldn't imagine towing it with a small car, let alone without a trailer brake hookup.I did notice in the pic he sent that he added a set of those cheap magnetic towing lights from Harbor Freight. I suppose that was easier than figuring out how to connect a 7 pin RV plug to a Prius with a hitch.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:10am
PA isn't that bad for homemade trailers, they just don't hand out registrations like some states do. I've gone through the process for five trailers now and its not that bad. The form they use just includes many types of vehicles and looks overly complicated.
Basically they just want a description of how its constructed, what it weighs, and a few pictures of it. You will also have to get an initial inspection by one of the 'Enhanced inspection locations'. Its not much different than in NJ we just don't have as many state DMV offices or state run inspection stations.

I don't see where its anything that anyone who deals with the type of stuff well all do here can't handle. I wouldn't expect them to just hand over a tag and registration just for the asking. If it were that easy, then we'd have trailers getting stolen and registered all over the place.

I know what you mean about CL, I had a guy show up last week to buy an old MTD garden tractor, with a 48" deck. He was driving a Toyota SUV with no trailer. He dragged out two planks, hooked a come along to the driver's seat frame and cranked that thing right up into the back. The deck didn't quite fit at first so he just cranked harder on the come along. When he was done, he threw a few pounds of interior plastic in my trash can and was on his way. I couldn't imagine how he planned to unload it. I suppose a tree and a chain was in the plan.  I had another guy show up with a fairly new Lexus sedan to buy a used rear for an old F350, it was rusty, greasy, and heavy. He and his buddy had no issue with just tossing it on the trunk and shoving it through the opening in the back seat atop the white leather upholstery. The guy basically destroyed both rear seat backs and what ever console was in the middle, not to mention ripping up the edge of the trunk and weatherstripping. 
I had another guy buy an old fiberglass canoe I was selling, he showed up with a brand new Toyota Avalon. He paid me, dragged the canoe out to the car across the stone driveway, then proceeded to drag it up onto the roof over the hood. He then dug around in the trunk, got out two black rubber bungee cords and hooked one to the front of the canoe and to the plastic grill, and hooked the other to the lower lip of the trunk. After deciding that it wasn't enough, he broke out a roll of duct tape and wrapped it with duct tape around the middle going through both rear windows about 10 times.
The car was no more than a few years old at best. I had asked if he wanted some foam padding but he said no, its a company car. .....Something to think about when giving an employee a car to drive I guess.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net