Print Page | Close Window

New wheel on the WD and out discing corn stalks!

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=143482
Printed Date: 27 Sep 2024 at 11:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New wheel on the WD and out discing corn stalks!
Posted By: garden_guy
Subject: New wheel on the WD and out discing corn stalks!
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:52pm
So got the new wheel put on the WD today. It being all painted sure stands out like a sore thumb.

Of course, the battery was dead so I couldn't start it... So I got the other tractor out, and put my other two new wheels on my JD RWA and went out to play in the mud.

As you can see, I made sure to break in all the new wheels I could with some primo mud! :O

So alas, have the battery on the charger now, so maybe next weekend I'll be able to take it and the mower out for a spin, or try to disc some stalks again if it has dried up some.

Replies:
Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
Good shots of a hard working WD! Great to see them still out doing things like discing!
A little mud never hurt them, they like it!
"No mud to deep or hill to steep for that old girl!"
I had to look twice. Those are two different tractors both WD's. Nice pair!
That looks like a real log cabin in the background. Any chance barnwood builders are going to make a visit to you?
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Good shots of a hard working WD! Great to see them still out doing things like discing!
A little mud never hurt them, they like it!
"No mud to deep or hill to steep for that old girl!"
I had to look twice. Those are two different tractors both WD's. Nice pair!
That looks like a real log cabin in the background. Any chance barnwood builders are going to make a visit to you?
Regards,
 Chris

It was fun, I'll probably go disc some more but it needs to dry up a bit more so I don't try and mud it up so badly. I made a couple low pass turns and the front end of the tractor was shoving sideways thru the mud, that's probably the bulk of what is in the front wheels and the ones on the disc.

Yep, both WDs, and both of the transition period where they came with crooked shifters (the one is a straight one now because the original wore out). They need some more work of course, but I do what I can when I can.

Don't think so on the barnwood builders, though you never know! That cabin was actually moved to that location probably... 20 to 25 years ago. I remember when it went up (even helped a bit at the time). Though it could surely use some TLC!

I had the one tractor I had on the disc today out in this field last year plowing it about this time!

If it were to dry up some more, I'd like to play with the plow a bit, but the corn stubble is so heavy I'm afraid I'll just plug up my plow!

Posted By: Stan IL&TN
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:25am
Great pictures!!

-------------
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson

Posted By: Don(MO)
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:45am
Nice to see the old WD's working. Two little hints, try mowing the stalks then disking them and next time the WD needs front tire work back-off the lug-nuts a turn or so on the wheel needing removed then lay down one or two 2x6 boards in front of the other tire and drive up it, then remove the lug nuts and the wheel will come off.  Same thing on the disc.

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:00pm
Dang, good call on the boards. I tried to back it over some 1x6 wood I had, but the tire rib split right through it. That would've worked pretty good with a double stack of 2x6.

And yes indeed, if it dries up some more I will do some stalk shredding before I try discing again!

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:37am
Yep, what Don says.  I've done it all the time and it works well. You don't need a jack that way.  The KEY is to take and loosen the lug nuts BEFORE you drive it up on the 2xs.  Otherwise you gotta take it back down and.........it's called experience.  LOL

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:22pm
Yeah, the lug nuts on that did not want to loosen up. I'd wager that wheel hadn't been off in 20 to 30 years. Took a cross bar wrench at about the end of my weight limit to even pop it. Fortunately I hadn't jacked it up yet, lol, but I hear you about the do-over effect! :O

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 1:29pm
Okay, so a newly charged battery, and I took both tractors out for a spin this morning in the bitter cold.

That new wheel stands out like a sore thumb, don't she?

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:48pm
WORSE than a sore thumb.  Anybody goin by will know it's you on it though!
Nice pics!!  Wish I had half that many acres...

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: EPALLIS
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm
Ditto nice pics.  Haven't seen a WD with a corn picker screen over the radiator in a long time.  Brings back some good memories.....

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:52pm
I wish I had any acreage, I'm just lucky to have relatives that don't mind me toolin' around on their place!

Grandpa just left the corn picker screen on for whatever reason, so when I got it in the early 90s, I just left it alone. Like the look. One has a screen around the air filter and one doesn't, too. And they both have the mounted cultivator front brackets on 'em.

The one with the new rim on it has the old style hitch setup and the wheels set to the middle which I use for the mower, the other tractor has a snap coupler on it, and the wheels set all the way in, so I use it on the plow. I like to mix and match my stuff, lol.

Posted By: Claus
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:08pm
Nice looking, hard working WD.  I notice you have S+K tools too, most of my tools are S+K.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:53pm
Yes indeed, that's dad's deep well socket set of S+K. I'd love to get my hands on more. They've been pretty good stuff. Keep looking for it and old Craftsman stuff at sales and such.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net