Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137627
Printed Date: 19 Oct 2024 at 2:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Side Trip to the Old Gleaner Factory
Posted By: HeHateMe55
Subject: Side Trip to the Old Gleaner Factory
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:46am
Had to stop by and see a work client today on the square in Independence, MO.  I had decided the next time I was in the area I would take a side trip a few blocks south to the old Gleaner factory.  I have lived in the area all my life but had never ventured to the site. Below are a few pictures I took.  There are a couple of businesses taking up residence in part of the old factory.  Trucks and Autos is in the newest part on the west side and Legendary Stone is back behind on the south side.  It is nice to see that they named the industrial part accordingly.

Brett

Replies:
Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 12:24pm
That's kind of neat. Thanks for the pictures. Darrel

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:39pm
Very neat!!! I like the "Gleaner Combines" sign. Neat to think the ol' L3 came from there!
Also...on the 2nd pic at the very left edge....what is that spiral shaped tall thing off in the distance?

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:58pm
The spiral shaped thing is the Community of Christ Temple.  It was the RLDS before they changed the name to Community of Christ in 2001.  I have read somewhere that they used the parking lot of the church to hold the new combines before they were shipped. Also, the church parking lot was used for employee parking.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:09pm
Neat thanks for sharing. What was the last year it was opened

Posted By: Leon B MO
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 8:51am
I was fortunate enough to tour that plant back in 84 as an FFA trip.At that time we were using an F3, I remember thinking the L3 looked enormous coming off the line.
Thanks for posting
Leon B

-------------
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:44am
It closed in 2000 and they moved the manufacturing to the facility in Hesston, Kansas.

Posted By: Kcgrain
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:47am
I went in that door when our dealer scheduled a tour back in the 90's when I had business in Kansas City. Agco owned it than, the tour was disappointing, you couldn't hear anything the guy had to say over the machines running, so you basically nodded like you understood as you looked around and figured it out for yourselves.  They put me with a small group of kids that were from a tech school. The kids had 0 interest in being there, but I had a nice conversation with the instructor. I didn't see any conventional parts being built, so I asked the guy from Agco where they made replacement parts for the older models, his answer was that wasn't there problem.
I am glad I went, but was disappointed in the whole thing. They had a small line running, maybe 200ft that was building the "wildly popular" 9000 series tractor and White. If it turned out 2 a day I would have been suprised.

Posted By: Mike Kroupa
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:35pm
Thanks for getting the pictures. I was through the factory on four separate occasions. Once in 1979 and 1981 during the Natl. FFA Convention. Then again in 1986 on a dealer sponsored trip. The R series had just been debuted and Deutz- Allis Badging was in full force. And finally in Jan. 1991 during the Natl. Farm Bureau Convention. AGCO had taken over and work was proceeding on the production line for the 9000 and workhorse series tractors. Mike

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net