Print Page | Close Window

Harbour Freight engines?

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Garden Tractors
Forum Description: A great place to discuss the Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Models
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135497
Printed Date: 24 Sep 2024 at 1:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Harbour Freight engines?
Posted By: Dave in PA
Subject: Harbour Freight engines?
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:33pm
Has anyone got, and used a Predator engine from HF yet? Are they any good/worth getting for a log splitter. I don't use it much anymore, but would like to get it up and running again.

thanks dave

Replies:
Posted By: shameless (ne)
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 1:49am
a friend of mine looked them over for his log splitter this year....and for the money he thought he'd try one. he says so far so good! he said real test will be if it works next year and on coming years he thinks! I don't know which engine he got tho! 

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:28am
Chances are he got the same one I picked up, they bolt right to the pumps, 6.5 hp, about the same as the old b&s 5 hp that went bad.
I thought for $100 it was worth the try!!   

I could of bought the extended warrenty for $49 for 3 years, nope, I am going to save the box, if it quits buy another one, take this one back.
Sorta like a welder friends story I heard somewhere! LOL

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:35am
I used maybe 15-20 of them 'off shore Honda Clones' and everyone has been a winner! I know the 9HP one is a purfect clone of the Hona as the carb of it fit/ran a Honda on 1st pull ! Cost less to buy a complete engine than just a Honda carb.Been running a motar mixer for 5-6 years...it cost me $20 for another carb so I got a FREE engine for replacing a carb !!

Also a Honda reduction box fit silky smooth on the 'import'...

Jay

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: Butch(OH)
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:20am
They are one of the better buys in internal combustion. The old blue colored Greyhound engines were  a Honda clone in every respect. I stocked up when they fire sale them out when the black ones came out. Some things were cheapened upon the black "Predator" but the are still a great bang for the buck. Dont pay full price! look up coupons on line. The 212CC 6.5 HP engine should cost you $99

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:02am
Bought one of them 6.5 HP for my tiller - for $99 can't beat it - started on the first pull 
  Well not exactly - seems I forgot to turn it from off to on using kills switch 
Once operator error was corrected it started and ran great - 2 years now and no problems 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:10pm
I have a 13 HP on one of their generators... starts on first pull ... like they said, its a Honda clone.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:01pm
I've had the 6.5 Predator for probably 6 or 7 years now and I have no complaints. Do some research online and you'll find all kinds of HI performance mods available for them. They can be built to almost unimaginable hp and are being used in gokart racing to the point of taking over.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:35pm
http://gokartsusa.com/Predator-212-Engine-Perfmance-Parts.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://gokartsusa.com/Predator-212-Engine-Perfmance-Parts.aspx

-------------

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 5:45pm
got the genny with 1 always starts.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:28pm
Steve, search YouTube for Detroit Hood TV minibike racing and I guarantee you will be impressed and amused and them guys will come anywhere to race if you can get enough built up to make it worthwhile.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
One guy said his was detuned to 55 hp. so that alone should tell you something.

Posted By: ac720nut
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:29am
I have 6.5hp and 13hp both great engines 13 has electric start. just a bit of advice use the fuel shutoff when done running, not engines fault but got a little dirt or water in gas and needle valve failed to shut filled engine with gas. From now on I use the shutoff's

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 1:40pm
wish they had a "robyn" engine clone!

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:10pm
Shameless, you are dating yourself here. Some guys may have never heard of them!

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:35pm
YEA... I had one of them on a gocart 55 YEARS AGO SHAMELESS !!!!  Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 11:53pm
I gots one on my golf cart that was new in 2004

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 11:56pm
and I needs a new engine for it now!

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 3:31am
Good grief shameless the last 1 of those I seen was at a consignment auction probably been 15 or 20 years ago. Auctioneer called it rare then. Think old pal Steve gave a dollar for it. I gotta have him bring me a couple of load of rock for my drive sometime this month. If me old forgetful brain will remember I'll ask him if he ever got it running. Don't remember the HP, might be too small for what you need.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:56pm
What is so special about your golf kart that something else couldn't be substituted?

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 1:28pm
I mean I just watched a video of a King Midget with a Hyabusa mc engine in it so almost anything is possible and it was one fast King Midget. I'd think you could doctor up your golf kart and go show this Midget guy what it's all about.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 8:12pm
Im thinking a TRICKED out 6.5 HP Predator motor putting out 26 HP would look GREAT in that Golf Cart !!

-------------

Posted By: TramwayGuy
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:38am
Way back, "Robin" engines were sold by Wisconsin. But they were and are made by Subaru.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:04am

WOW,,,Double WOW,,,,,26HP out of a little ole 212 CC,,,,unbelievable,,,!!! Wonder if thet is with gasoline or bout an 83% load of nitro,,,,????Clap WOW,,,,,

Shoot,,, you shoehorn one of them into ole Shameless's golf cart and ya'll best get out the way,,,he's be poppin wheelies and runnin over whatever is in the way at Hutch, water puddles or no water puddles,,,,,Clap

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
that would suit me fine! with my back the way it is, I was only thinking that something of the same to bolt right up is what I was looking for.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 4:42am
maybe a snowmobile engine would work?  

Posted By: ac720nut
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 6:15am
Shameless, doubt a snowmobile engine would work really no way to keep them cool during summer months. Just me $.02

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 6:25am
re: snowmobile engines..... do they have air cleaners ? NOT trying to be funny, BUT every snowblower I've ever seen in past 30 years do NOT have air filters ! MFR saves $1/engine that way.

Jay

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:10am
I finally got the splitter all cleaned up, painted, now tires, and all put together. Oil and fuel, and it started on the 2nd pull! Sounds good and works again. Now for the back breaking job of using it!

Posted By: WEL(TN)
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:13am
I have (2) 6.5hp engines. One on a generator the other on a chipper. So far I have had no trouble and they always start on the first or second pull. I hate to buy this Chinese stuff but for $99 I wanted to try them.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:43pm
Just like every thing else today they are so restricted because of EPA its a wonder they run at all. You'd be surprised at what just a bigger main jet, an open exhaust and an unrestricted air filter will do on them. And Joe the only thing I haven't seen for them that isn't available for them that is for something big is a super charger. They got nitrous kits turbo chargers you name it. The only thing holding them back is the size of the owners wallet. If somebody had a thou or two to waste I really think a 26 hp 212 would be sucked right through what they can be made into.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:57pm
A lot of people don't know it so I guess this is a public service announcement  but the 212cc engine is also available, if you can find one, in a hemi version. If you can find one and know what to look for to tell them apart the hemi is more hp friendly than non hemi's.

Posted By: BenGiBoy
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:22pm
@ Walker.....What do you mean by the "hemi" version? 

-------------
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 8:44pm
Hemispherical piston, head whole works like a Mopar hemi.

Posted By: BenGiBoy
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:38pm
Oh, okay. Thanks! Smile

-------------
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!

Posted By: LouSWPA
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Just like every thing else today they are so restricted because of EPA its a wonder they run at all. You'd be surprised at what just a bigger main jet, an open exhaust and an unrestricted air filter will do on them. And Joe the only thing I haven't seen for them that isn't available for them that is for something big is a super charger. They got nitrous kits turbo chargers you name it. The only thing holding them back is the size of the owners wallet. If somebody had a thou or two to waste I really think a 26 hp 212 would be sucked right through what they can be made into.
One would have to assume that there is a point of no return........or, point of big bang and scattered parts.

-------------
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:03pm
Lou, that's half the fun, seeing how close you can get to that point!  When you reach it, go to the HF store and plunk down another $99 bucks and build it up to almost the same point....

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 3:01am
John's right Lou. No one knows just where that line you spoke of lies. Even if they did it wouldn't always be in the same place. Best to have the price of another in your back pocket before on a 212 I'd be willing to go over 15 hp or so. Then ya salvage what you can and crack the seal on a new box. Besides the first mods are the cheapest with some free, but when you get past a certain point things start getting expensive. Price a Briggs Animal that some of the biggies will only run for a few races then toss and you will begin to see why people like to fiddle around with the chinko specials.
I got too old for it and started building the 212's for others then I got too old for even that but then got the itch to fool around with the big blocks 301 and 420's and right now have a 301 about half ways done for myself just to see what I can get it to do but I aint
going big bucks on it. The closer you take them to that line the lifespan of them shortens accordingly. Watch enough of them Detroit Hood TV videos and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net