Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134757
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 5:44am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: HD11B RESTORATION PAINT/BODY SHOP IS OPEN
Posted By: AC Mel
Subject: HD11B RESTORATION PAINT/BODY SHOP IS OPEN
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
Ok, our organic outside fresh air paint booth has failed us miserably this year. So to keep on some kind of schedule we've started improvising. (also known as "poor man has poor ways") Silver tarps, smudgepot, propane burner etc. photo P2060004_zps9hujvdea.jpg
So David got into his first gallon of paint tonight. (we ordered 5) IT'S ORANGE!! photo P2060007_zpsq1u2lovd.jpg
We have copious amounts of rain predicted for the next 2 weeks so we thought we better just suck it up and start turnin things orange. And because John will ask, it's 49.05'' right now and should be over 50'' by morning. photo P2060010_zpsyd8qzksp.jpg
Anyway we've turned the corner and will try to stay on schedule.
  So here's the link to how we got this far if someone doesn't know.

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132987&title=hd11b-restoratiOn-has-begun" rel="nofollow - http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132987&title=hd11b-restoratiOn-has-begun

Replies:
Posted By: shameless (ne)
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:52pm
what do them HD springs attach to?

Posted By: Lee Bradley
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:24am
Those springs sit on the track frame and support the front of the tractor.  The spring frame oscillates to allow the track frames independent movement.  

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:34am
oh...o-k....thanks!

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:32am
Mel that orange looks good instead of the pukey whatever the other color is.

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:52am
Mel,
Looking good! Welcome to our normal weather!:)
Fresh paint always looks nice!
Thanks for posting.
Off to make some syrup in the fog.
 Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: R.KYLE
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:38pm
MEL A LITTLE OFF TOPPIC MABEY. MY 9@11 ARE STANDERD STEERING AND THEY SEEM TO WORK FINE. NEVER HAVING POWER ASSIST I AM WONDERING ARE THEY MUCH BETTER?

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:11pm
Ok, Thanks for the 4 stars. Had a busy successful day. Got the runnig 516 out of the "donor tractor"
 photo P2070012_zps4vzrd2lj.jpg
Even though we spent quite a bit of time cleaning it earlier our plan was to take it out ,clean and paint it while it was on the forklift. photo P2070014_zpsfbquhdlk.jpg
We thought we would try some paint remover. We've never had much success with this in the past.  photo P2070015_zpsfswcpblp.jpg
So we had a pre paint planning meeting before noon. If the paint remover works, then it needs to be painted immediately do to the weather. David said he has the paint ready if it works. It worked very well washing it of with the hot pressure washer, down to bare metal. photo P2070017_zpsjbtlgf2x.jpg
Don't ask me why, but for some reason the sun came out this afternoon and we moved to the outside paint booth. photo P2070019_zpseduhl05f.jpg
It was 3 o clock before the paint went on. photo P2070021_zps9gg1jouw.jpg
The plan was to put it right in the tractor,wet paint and all before dark. photo P2070025_zps64ky9bui.jpg
It actually went pretty well. photo P2070026_zpslsj3a1jf.jpg
It's all bolted in. photo P2070029_zpsjcfnfiex.jpg
Our experience with the paint remover was good. we think we might try it more on some other big pieces. We were planning on sand blasting like we have in the past but the rain has put all that on hold.Any way we got the tarps back up before dark. photo P2070032_zps5zmboxsn.jpg
We're expecting another 2-4'' of rain in the next several days starting tonight. Oh, John it's now 51.51'' for the season

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:33pm
Great work, Mel and gang!  I hope some of that rain is falling in the central valley, looks like my state is going to put a lot more water into the Colorado River for those guys down south to use.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:59am
thanks Mel....I love your posts and pics!

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:22am
Man that is looking good.

Posted By: Hena
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:25am
Connect With WHYPS . . WHYPS” is to facilitate the original equipment manufacturers, distributors, design engineers, technicians, recruiters and such people connected with hydraulic/fluid power industry to interact with each other, share their details, introduce new technology, ideas and developments    Whyps.com

Posted By: Hena
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:25am
Connect with whyps.com . . To grow your hydraulic business, , WHYPS” is to facilitate the original equipment manufacturers, distributors, design engineers, technicians, recruiters and such people connected with hydraulic/fluid power industry to interact with each other, share their details, introduce new technology, ideas and developments,

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:37pm
Yes, looking good thanks for keeps us posted

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 12:41am
Wonder what is with Hena from India?

-------------

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:00am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Wonder what is with Hena from India?

Typical spammer ploy, hena is trying to sell something...Wink

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:29am
Man, when you guys get with a project, you don't waste any time. Sure am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Darrel

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:37am
One quick question, Mel. The 516 in my road grader has a belt driven super charger on it. Does this engine have that also. .? Thanks, Darrel

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:07am
dang...there's a lot of pulleys on that engine!

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:08am
and you need to paint them allis chalmers letters black so they stand out! lol

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
No it does not have a supercharger.  I reported the HENA post, thought it was a distraction to this important stuff, but I see it's still there. Yes , Shameless we'll get the black paint out for the lettering

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:28am
Very nice work getting that engine pulled, cleaned, painted and installed! That was a busy day! Great pictures as usual!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Eric B
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 1:44pm
Amazing progress... even though the elements are giving you a hard time!!

How many gallons of oil does that 516 oil pan hold?? 

-------------
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:58pm
Eric, I think it use about 4-1/2 gallons even though the pan is humungus. So here's where we our today. We tried to paint outside,it almost worked. photo P2100038_zpsxqic2nz6.jpg
David likes to make sure the "show parts" (things that stick out) should have the best paint job,so a lot of those parts are sanded or maybe sand blasted and primed first. photo P2100039_zpsbvnzg7wl.jpg
Some of this stuff we moved in and out several times do to rain today.
 photo P2100040_zpsiwepsnm5.jpg
The orange goes on pretty nice with primer on it. photo P2100048_zpsnwkprrd7.jpg
Hoping to get the fuel tank and battery boxes on tomorrow. photo P2100045_zpsr6kfzmd0.jpg
So I've been doing body shop work while the paint dries.
 photo P2040001_zpsycwqfbkw.jpg
So earlier I cut this stuff of of these "donor tractor " fenders with the air arc. I weld it up and grind it of till I can get it to fly by the painter guy. He'll do bondo, I don't, but I can weld and grind until it's  smooth. (I don't do wood either). photo P2040002_zpscm41chb2.jpg
I kind of think this is a real mans body shop. (weld and grind) photo P2040003_zpsxbcvsr6n.jpg
Trust me it will look good when were done.  So the other thing was getting started putting the track guards on that came of of another "donor tractor" photo P2100043_zps7pey2dln.jpg
So that's today's progress. We're supposed to have no rain for 4 days. Davids going to sandblast and paint tomorrow. I'm off to coach the grandsons rec league BBall game and then go watch the granddaughters BBall game. Get AC restoration time from 1:00 to 5:00 then of to help cook 90 Rib Eye steaks for our local volunteer fire dept. annual "sweet heart dinner''. 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:43am
Getting there!  Gonna feel strange, no rain for 4 days.  At least the FD shouldn't get a forest fire call.

Shameless, didja happen to notice those pretty blue trucks in the background???  Look like Ferds to me!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 1:30pm
Oooooh, man, that looks nice. Fuel tank shines like a mirror. When is this big show that you are going to have this ready for?  Maybe have to start a bus at the east coast and pick up forum members along the way, and end up there for a first hand look at the stuff. Darrel

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 1:03am
yeah John....I seen them truck wanna-be's parked there! looks like they backed into one of them already! should have kept going! lol

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 1:48am
Yea Darrel, that Fuel tank sure does shine don't it. Caught my eye too...
 Those boys out there sure do a fine job of restoring them old toys. sheesh if one just had a 10th of their talents...
  Seen the double lip rollers, weren't they suppose to be every other on them or was that for certain applications?
 Gees, I gotta go up and give Mel a thanks for each of his posted pics.

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:12am
Don't know where Mel is re this issue, but it looks like they're gonna need a few dozers, there, soon...

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/nCIg7VI7gVo[/TUBE]

Good luck, Mel, hope ya keep yer feet dry...

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 3:15pm
They're gonna need more than dozers I dare say. May need some well placed prayers starting about a week ago.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:36pm
So since Dave ask ,we're out of harms way. About 3-1/2 hours away. But I can tell a story. 2 years ago we responded to a wild fire for Cal Fire with our dozer. It started at the edge of lake Orville on the up stream side and burned 1000 acres into the Plumas National Forest. We reported to the Enterprise Boat ramp for staging, once there they decided that I would not start until morning shift. So if you look of the nose of the transport in this picture down the boat ramp you can see the brown dirt of the banks of the lake. I walked to the end of the pavement of the boat ramp. It would have been at least 2 MILES ! to the waters edge from the end of the boat ramp, probably 500' in elevation.
 So I know how you guys like to pick on these Californians, this is my take on it. The politicians and special interest groups that run this state have been so busy promoting the drought and GLOBAL WARMING that they convinced enough people that the lake could never fill again!! so they could save the maintenance money for there special pet projects (paybacks hell) Yes there are some real KNUCKLEHEADS!! running this state (we couldn't agree more, we're living it)
 photo spring steam fest lumpkin fire 111_zpswcsa0odx.jpg
So back to tractoring.It supposed to start raining tomorrow so I've been gathering parts out side as possible.Got this GARWOOD 151 front cable control unit removed from a donor HD16 today (hope it works) photo P2140006_zpsvyeuvleh.jpg
Got some loaner gauges out of an HD20. We're trying to use original gauges from the same time frame as the machine.
 photo P2140021_zpsn3r7ob6q.jpg
Had to go to the south 40 to get a cable sheave off a HD11 angle blade C frame to put on the straight blade we'll be using,it was previously hydraulic. photo P2140019_zpsubnzvyfe.jpg
So Davids been painting as much as possible due to weather. It was 72 degrees today. photo P2140009_zpsfyuo4ytv.jpg
Got 1 swing frame done today(can you smell it?) pretty!! hope to get the other one tomorrow before the rain begins photo P2140015_zpsybykgged.jpg
We'll have enough parts painted that we will be able to work inside for several days. photo P2140013_zpssryfttg4.jpg
That's where were at today.  Actually HD6 STEVE is in Orville, haven't heard from him for a while. He got clutch parts from us,then had some steering clutch problems he was working on. Maybe we might have to mount a rescue effort to save the HD6. (you know first things first)

Posted By: Steve allis dozer
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:28am
She's coming along nicely Mel,  You blokes have a nice set up I like them heavy duty stands the track frames  are sitting on ! 

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:57am
they make everything look so easy!

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:54pm
Ok, Here's todays progress report. It rained!. Got the battery boxes and batteries on. All new cables made up (from "donor tractor" cables) added a disconnect switch which was not available in 1955. photo P2170006_zpspd30hduj.jpg
I'm ready for the gauges so we tried to fast track them today. David used the bead blaster to prep the dash gauge holder. photo P2170003_zpsf7jc3qmw.jpg
These were original style gauges from different tractors for this vintage. We desperately need to paint today photo P2170004_zpsz3apgkxs.jpg
David opted for just a few needed items today due to RAIN!!  photo P2170010_zpshmaucaih.jpg
We had to move the painting inside again.So once the paint is on we move it into our organic heat controlled paint both for curing. It's very technical and probably causes global warming (but it sure works good) photo P2170013_zpsumjw4q8v.jpg
Hoping to fire this puppy up by Sunday night (I'll keep you posted)

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 1:18am
It is looking sweeter all the time... Love the pictures...
 Did not see where you put the quick disconnect.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 2:24am
I wonder if Mel and the crew would notice if I snuck my 5G into their shop in place of that 11, or if they would just put it together for me. Lol Darrel

Posted By: AC7060IL
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:35am
Mel, I have enjoyed viewing your post - thank you for sharing great photos & text. The Aircraft paint remover looks to work good in combination with power washer. Wow - the 516 cleaned up nice.

Posted By: michale34
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:03pm
You got a good heat sourse there i got a couple of those heaters I put about 2.5 gallons of diesel and about 2.5 of used motor oil in mine we used them for years in the logging woods dad called them choofa heaters from the sounds they make

Posted By: Eric B
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I wonder if Mel and the crew would notice if I snuck my 5G into their shop in place of that 11, or if they would just put it together for me. Lol Darrel

Darrel...the big risk in doing this...because everything happens fast around Mel's yard?? It would make your heart drop if Mel posted pictures saying "a donor 5G just appeared'' and yeah...it's all in pieces and transplanted where needed Cry

-------------
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:01pm
and if they did re-do it for ya Darrell, it'd be to pretty to use! take yer big loader up there and gits that done!

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 8:05pm
Yes Eric that could happen. And if Mel and his crew did re-do it, it for sure would be too pretty for what I have in mind to use it for. I made some fair progress on it today, so maybe things are looking up. Darrel

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 1:11am
you mean you gots yer hands dirty this time? (poke,poke)

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

you mean you gots yer hands dirty this time? (poke,poke)

my hands get dirtier before breakfast, than yours do all day long. Lol darrel

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:59am
that's prolly true! lol

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:40am
JC, the disconnect switch got mounted in the battery box on the battery hold down bracket. Not to fancy but it will work. I actually removed it from a HD16 "donor" (one of the ones the state made the auction people cut a hole in the block) rather than make one. photo P2180002_zps6wjtyjqc.jpg
AC7060, Yes the aircraft paint remover worked good. One of the things we learned was in this cold weather if you used the hot pressure washer and got the steel as warm as possible before putting it on it worked best. The vendor we used also said in the summer to cover it with black plastic for a few minutes, that helped keep the moisture in it also.
Mike, We call these heaters "smudge pots" These all originated from the grape and pear growers around here. Originally a 5 gallon bucket with diesel in it,then the early pots that had no return pipe, then to be legal you had to have a return pipe like these. And then the price of diesel put them all out of business. (they use water for frost protection now). Yes the recipe for fuel could be a lot of things. Straight diesel burns the cleanest. If you put to much other stuff in there it seems to crud up sooner (drain oil, etc.) I'm sure it won't surprise any one to know that right now the best fuel recipe we have is "DONOR TRACTOR FUEL!!) It still burns pretty good after 30,40,50 years.
 photo P1210002_zpsuvwu15r1.jpg
Also I'm starting to think Eric might have a good point. Over the years our attitudes have changed about "donor tractors" I think at first we were going to save them all, (IRON DISEASE) Now when we make a move it's usually something that has the easiest parts to get to. So yes in a blink of the eye it could be a "donor" SO DARELL, PLEASE FILL THE FUEL TANK FIRST CAUSE WERE ALMOST OUT OF DONOR TRACTOR FUEL FOR THE SMUDGE POT!! photo P2180003_zps5cbrreo0.jpg
Had enough time yesterday with no rain to put the radiator on. Put the tarps back up. Expecting 2-4" of rain today through Tue. (raining now)

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 1:03pm
Most people probably wouldn't even consider my best stuff good doner material. But that's what this broke bast....Feller is stuck with. Darrel

Posted By: Steve allis dozer
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 3:41pm
Hey Mel have you ever used the either starter set up on the dash? we have one on Dads old HD6 but have never found  what was used in there? 
Thanks steve

Posted By: Lee Bradley
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:30pm
Looks like your HD-20 was a military machine.  Has the military switch and looks like a mil-spec plate below the gauges.  My HD-7W was built for the military but the contract was canceled and it was repainted orange and was sold on the civilian market. 

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:50pm
Steve if I am looking at the same thing you are ether came in a capsule. The only ones I remember seeing have been in a picture on the net,maybe even here.

Uncle told me he first got it in pint can like brake fluid,put it in pump type oil can to give them a spray. But would evaporate out of the pump can. So the capsule was second way of delivery and they could be  injured and dry out as well.  The spray can we have today was much better so capsules where used for a very short time only.    

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
I think that the ether capsules were sometime called ether eggs. Darrel

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:29pm
Lee, I know what you're talking about with the military switch. I'm pretty sure that these 20s were not military. I think that was the switch of the day, maybe left over from the military days? I'm going to go look at the spec plate again too.
 Steve, We've never used that dash setup either. I'm going to sign on with Ray. I remember the pint size cans of either. They were Chevron, and my father would take the air cleaner top of and dump 1/2 capfull from the either can into the air cleaner to start up. I remember using it more on the Detroits, the HD10, HD9G,not as much on the HD11 until it started getting tired. We're in relatively warm country so I'm sure those features were used in the colder parts of the country. The 516 HD11 had a history of hard starting until the upgraded to the direct injection 10000 engine around 1960.

Posted By: HD11 owner
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:21am
Awesome jobClap

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm
Most every HD 5 and 9  around here has the capsule system or at least parts of them. So my guess is AC put them on all of them at the factor for a few short years they made those models.

Posted By: michale34
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:06pm
I found a can of those rubber capsules not long ago of course they were dried up mush looked like a old brake fluid bottle. yea mel those heater will smoke with oil in them i took one to the fishing camp we fire it up to run the mosquitos off lol. its got a few pieces of looks like oak blocks in the tank in the logging woods the boss let us use those while we worked on the mcculloch and homelites chainsaws which was quite often forrestry didnt like us building fires in the woods and there was always diesel around

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:35am
Ok, update. We've still been fighting the rain. We covered and uncovered this swing frame 3 or 4 times before David could get the final coat of paint on before dark photo P2220005_zpsk0oh1ysq.jpg
BUT IT RUNS!! check the video to see the orange startup in it's new home. Swing frames could start going on today? The weather is supposed to be sunny today. It is 28 degrees right now with a high of 50. The hardnose hopefully will get sand blasted today for paint soon. Also working on the GARWOOD front cable unit to put on before the hardnose.

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/HD11%20RESTORATION%20PAINT%20AND%20BODY/HD11%20ORANGE%20STARTUP1_zpsn5hk5psa.mp4" rel="nofollow - http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/HD11%20RESTORATION%20PAINT%20AND%20BODY/HD11%20ORANGE%20STARTUP1_zpsn5hk5psa.mp4

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
Sure sounds good

Posted By: Ian Beale
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I think that the ether capsules were sometime called ether eggs. Darrel

The Lanova AC 45's had an ether setup.  According to that book the capsules were gelatine

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:52pm
The ether capsules came in different sizes for different size engines, from 2 cyl. to whatever.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:07pm
Ok, this past weekend we decided may be the first GARWOOD 151 unit we thought would be best looked pretty rough photo P2230001_zpssc1n68sn.jpg
So that prompted a look into DONOR tractor section 16 (as in the HD16 section) We pushed this up to staging for parts removal photo P2230002_zpslvlmfe4q.jpg
So between the two this is what it looks like now. photo P2260010_zps1ojaf20e.jpg
Had a good day putting big parts on, both swing frames in 3 hours. photo P2270012_zpsc2dobptr.jpg
This ones been painted for two weeks. photo P2270013_zps4xs2sdz6.jpg
The other side has been painted just the other day. photo P2270015_zpsnoixigdl.jpg
David was able to sandblast with the help of the weather. photo P2230004_zpsxt8huslw.jpg
This is the original cable hardnose from the tractor our father bought new in 1955. photo P2270016_zpsygsqokkp.jpg
We decided to put it on with just the primer and paint it in place. We still have to weld some brackets on it for the canopy. photo P2270022_zpsokubaybj.jpg
So this is where we are at dark tonight. Can you get the picture yet?

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 6:50am
It's coming along nicely. When's your deadline for the logging show. ...? Darrel

Posted By: NEVER green
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:29am

I love this thread Mel and Im not much of a crawler guy. Keep on tracken!!!

-------------
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       

Posted By: AC7060IL
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:59pm
AC Mel, You said that you pushed a donor HD16 up to the shop from it's donor lot - section 16 lot.  Hahaha!   I'm guessing you just use another running dozer to push it around? Could say an AC 7060 tractor push or pull a HD16 (blade chained up & tranny in neutral), if the 7060's drawbar was hitched to the 16's drawbar?? Good idea - Bad idea???

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 2:30pm
Yes that's exactly what we do. Push them around with what ever is available. When I got that 16 out the other day I started with the CAT D5XL (the only CAT dozer we have) It blew a hydraulic line, so I finished moving it with the CAT 312 excavator. When I moved it back I ended up using the JONH DEERE 310SG backhoe

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 3:05pm
Your HD11 is coming along nicely. Wish I had those part machines closer. I do need to weld on a new rod on my transmission dipstick and lost the old one that rusted at the top and I snapped it off. I need the measurement of length and the measurement to the full line. I'ld appreciate it if someone could post these measurements. What is ironic is these machines were built 20 miles from where I live in Springfield IL and the proving grounds were maybe 5 miles east of where I live, but parts and old machines are just impossible to find here. I've gotten parts from Gemdozer and see people in Idaho and California have them for parts. Anyone closer to get parts would also be appreciated knowing. The proving grounds has been converted to subdivisions. I'll try to post a couple of pics, but may fail.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 10:07pm
Dan, your pictures are good enough to catch my interest on the blade. What kind of blade is that? Is that a AC inside push beam blade? I've never seen one up close and in person. I think there could be a couple of different lengths for the dipstick, need to know what kind of filler you might have.

So we took on the canopy today,ran out of daylight. cutting and grinding of all the unnecessary scrap iron that looks ugly.( We use it to fund the restoration LOL)
 photo 0000hd11restoation 002_zpsu9jsvsnt.jpg
Also welded the cable sheave onto the blade. photo 0000hd11restoation 003_zpssdtahlrz.jpg
The blade is ready for a bubble bath and prep for painting. photo 0000hd11restoation 005_zpsnqcxqsgd.jpg

Posted By: Dgrader
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 3:39am
Man, love you guys work Mel. Now those are some sawhorses holdin that blade up.

-------------
Ya cain't fix stupid.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 9:48am
The blade is approximately 8 foot wide. I was told this was an oil field special and the narrow blade made for easier moving between sites. I've got better pictures and just should start a new post with them and not on yours. My transmission dipstick looks identical to yours in the pic and I was told it's a 1957 model. What specific info do you need for the dipstick?

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 9:47am
The canopy and tank guard have been sanded and cleaned photo P3030047_zpsexqit0k0.jpg
Spent time reworking the screen with torch and welder, didn't have time to replace it, photo P3030048_zpsex6eztaa.jpg
The winch got sandblasted and is ready for paint. photo P3030053_zpsu6mdi9dq.jpg
David thought it would be easier to paint the rails on the concrete to avoid dirt blowing photo P3020039_zpsmrcciw8y.jpg
So I drug them around with the backhoe to put on. photo P3030040_zps1gvhdnbh.jpg
Got them under the tractor so we could drive on them. photo P3030044_zpss2dzua5g.jpg
Kind of like this if it works. photo P3030045_zpsc3onc3qg.jpg
Use whatever to get the slack out (backhoe?) photo P3030049_zpsgs8udrw3.jpg
And for some reason, if you're a half a bubble off (as in sprocket tooth) we cheat because we can, and get the big bertha forklift , lift it and pull the track tigh on the bottom. photo P3030050_zps7hrqowaw.jpg
So that's what it looked like last night. photo P3030052_zps4gg5y3ri.jpg
The tractor,canopy and winch all got put back under the shop. IT'S RAINING TODAY!! (and off and on for the next 5 days)

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 10:10am
man.....I love your posts Mel!

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 10:11am
Lookin good!!!! Thanks for the update. Darrel

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:24pm
Mel,
 Thanks for posting the awesome pictures of the restoration work! It looks great!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:32pm
Yea it's great you take time to take pictures to share with us. Thanks

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:36pm
YES, thank you for all the pictures

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:03pm
Hit the thanks smilely button too if you really like what they do ...

-------------

Posted By: copyrite1972
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:29pm
You Fellers do great work, Thanks for sharin'!

-------------
D15 Series II

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:35pm
Ok, getting close to crunch time. Davids been painting as much as possible.  photo P3080010_zpszey1ox2e.jpg
Big pieces, little pieces. photo P3080012_zpsyeydojzi.jpg
The canopy and tank guard. photo P3080014_zps3cc3xqm1.jpg
 photo P3080015_zpslt1f6aqe.jpg
We didn't want to put the winch down, so we just put it on the tractor. photo P3080017_zpsduimrnbu.jpg
It got dark before we got it done. photo P3080020_zpsrph9mgsn.jpg
So this is what it looks like tonight. photo P3080022_zpsbmo2mzvx.jpg

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:57pm
Boy oh boy is that gettin purtier all the time.... just fantastic work there.
Mel, how many gallons of paint so far?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:16am
I think he's on #4, we got 5.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:46pm
Today's progress photo P3100029_zpsn3vvzrto.jpg
 photo P3100030_zpssr1eyuqx.jpg
 photo P3100032_zpsqrfebik8.jpg
 photo P3100035_zpspfi52qgi.jpg
Had to tweek it a little to weld it. photo P3100036_zpsuyrfvv1z.jpg
 photo P3100037_zpskmypj6xz.jpg
Got some moonlite to work by photo P3100039_zpsvc5926x1.jpg

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 12:38am
That thing is almost ready for delivery. ......to my house. .? Lol Darrel

Posted By: Dgrader
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 4:54am
Looks good Mel. Gotta be a good feeling saving those old girls.

-------------
Ya cain't fix stupid.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 10:39pm
So Darrel, what are you going to do with it if we send it there? We're not going to let you drive it and get it dirty! We're not even going to do that!! Think about it, it's got a $2000.00 paint job (and I haven't even painted the ALLIS CHALMERS on the intake manifold for Shamus yet).

Stan, Yes I think it's that Iron Disease thing that makes you think that you should try to do this.

So this is today. I coached 2 of my grandsons BBall games (brother Dave went to both because the company is the sponsor). He came back to paint. I came back to help teach a class of Fire Safety Awareness Training , that I've been doing all week. So this is where we are today.
 photo P3110041_zpse09fgkvd.jpg
 photo P3110040_zps1lisl3y2.jpg
 photo P3110042_zpsrzdup4j8.jpg
I also picked up the decals today from my graphics guy while I was doing my basketball duties. Hoping for the blade tomorrow. It needs to be loaded on the lowbed TUESDAY NIGHT for Eureka on Wenesday (3 hour drive) Getting close to a new post called ''SHOWTIME"

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 11:29pm
snow isn't dirty Mel!

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:13am
Darrel might get a little "green" on it, but all that'll do is make it grow......      some more rust...
  ... so ye better not let him use it after all that work... LOL

It sure is lookin better and better.  You guys sure do a great job.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 10:59pm
Ok, This is today's events. photo P3120045_zpsugd489ey.jpg
 photo P3120048_zpsfq20wlok.jpg
 photo P3120050_zpspww0dzap.jpg
I think it's self explanatory and Hooch has been monitoring these project for over 10 years. photo P3120054_zpsrk9fh0xd.jpg

Son-in-law Kurt came by to assist in today's events. We spooled some new cable. The GARWOOD 151 unit will spool 90' of cable. I used 80'. The HD11 has 2 spool sheaves. The 16 and 21s have 3 spool sheaves photo P3120056_zpsos2tmi54.jpg
Had some complications, but it appears that it will work. photo P3120057_zpsvsh2s0yg.jpg
This one's for Shameless, he was worried about getting these logos painted. My brother says that masking this off to paint was !!** but we did it for Shameless. photo P3120059_zps2mpau1nq.jpg

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 1:46am
WooHoo! that looks great Mel! looks like a finished product now! gosh...I would'a helped ya, ya know! i'm satisfied now! ya'll did a great job! I loved following your work on this!

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 7:31am
You just as well keep it out there, Mel. I wouldn't want to scuff the paint on that thing. So what's next.....? I know where there's an HD5G that needs some attention. LOL! Darrel

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:06am
Awesome, just awesome!!

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:14am
As usual another superb finish to a restoration.  Thumbs UpThumbs Up  Thanks Mel and David for the pictures and the entertainment... and showing what can be done to maybe inspire others to try an fix their trinkets...

Darrel, thet little 5g wouldn't be any real challenge to these boys, they prolly do it in their sleep...  But the problem arises would be when they were finished with it, it would end up along side all their other restored antique machinery at the show grounds...
  So in the long run, you would be better off pretenden your Mel and David and fix it where its at... and ye won't have no regrets of gettin any ol raw fertilizer on a pristine paint job and overhaul.
  now don'ts go gittens mad at me, I's juss lookin at the faxks...   cuzz I gots a 15 an a 19 that could use their loven touches... anna couple 5s an a 6, and, and...     LOL 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:04am
What the heck, JC. You have a large stash of them orange track layers, too......? I think they are fun and interesting, and would love to have a yard full of them. But a little reality has to set in occasionally. Darrel

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 2:52pm
"But a little reality has to set in occasionally."
Darrel, thet don't take much for that reality to set in over here..
 Now wid yur revelations bak at me, I thinks I gots ta go and finds my wittle bittie blankie and go find thet 'special' place to go sits in... without them color books an crayans... an thinks about how obummer gots ta be many millionaires wealthy whilest you an I's are still poor ol pharts...  LOL

Guess I betters goes an takes care of my 'cash' cows... and starts the evening meal fer them... seems everybody expects me ta feed them... tha dawgs, the moo~moos, the fuel tank on the tractors, the wood stove, the govermutts, an some other bellies an thens sit backs down and feast on all them pics Mel and Dave make...   LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 2:41am
me thinks we all better goes up to Darrell's and have an auction out of his building, clean it out so he can puts his good stuff inside! we'll only take 1/2 of the profits Darrell for helping ya! I might even brings sum pashonate pink paint in case I see any green iron up there!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 2:42am
Mel....i'm pretty good at painting with small brushes. prolly would have been faster and less cussing than taping it off! lol 

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:57am
I have used a trim roller paint adaptor with a almost no bristle roller to do similar on old machines kind of like ink pad stamping, tape and spray can be quite a handful with as many letters as Allis!!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:32am
it still looks good tho Mel! (i'm soooooo proud of you)!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

it still looks good tho Mel! (i'm soooooo proud of you)!
Hates to agree with Shameless, But here, I'd have to agree with him X 2! Darrel

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:11pm
Ok, gotta fess up. We were scamming on Shameless about how those letters were painted (we've been getting a little rummy finishing this thing). But we're glad he was worried about it too. Truth be known we sure as hell didn't mask it!!. We use a permanent "SHARPIE" Probably won't finish it tell we get there. Might even "Tom Sawyer" somebody up there, you know, betcha can't paint this logo or maybe in the after noon "for a beer I'll let you put the final touches on my tractor"  photo P3140062_zpsc05ta5pq.jpg
OOOOKKKK! FINAL FINAL!! iT GOES ON THE LOWBED TONIGHT. NEW POST COMING. photo P3140063_zpsssw0688c.jpg

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:33pm
WOW!!! Had to save a picture of it...
 Now ol shamelush will prolly be raggin abouts thet blue in the back ground... LOL
Darrel, would you want to get this one dirty now??? 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:57pm

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:50am
Wonder if their crawler went down through the assembly line in this building...

Maybe the way these fellows rebuild them crawlers, they need to update a little bit and get three four or five done in a weeks time maybe...if they had some facility like this...   Just haven  litle fun... Wink

Look! NEW Tracks laying there on the floor all rolled up!!!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net