Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131224
Printed Date: 25 Sep 2024 at 11:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AC 816b grinding noise
Posted By: Seanm
Subject: AC 816b grinding noise
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 6:39pm
Hello everyone. Im brand new to this forum and could use a little insight into AC 816b backhoe. I'm new to this type of mechanical work, but willing to learn. I just purchased a parts manual because surprisingly the internet doesn't have a whole lot of information on this model! 
Im trying to pinpoint a grinding noise when i put my machine in forward. Only happens in forward, in all gears, no grinding noise when i put it in reverse. Would that be transmission or rear differential. 
 Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Orange4ever
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:12am
This is Tom's dad . we have two of them backhoes check your oil in your forward and reverse shifting clutch and check the oil in the transmission if it's in the transmission itself it's a standard truck transmission I believe it T 19 without a reverse we have had problems with the forward and reverse clutch is going out especially in forward when you change the oil . If oil in the forward and reverse transmission it'll look like a red rag has come apart .red particles your clutch disk is coming apart on your forward Side . If I'm not mistaken I think the FxR transmission is a Clark Parts still available always check the oil in the outboard planetary's for metal particles and check the differential for metal particles it's also possible they could be this simple you U join or short shaft between the transmission and the rear end The spider bearing to go out in the U joint and they'll make a noise

-------------
If you want a man to be a successful farmer, give him a Allis Chalmers tractor. If you want him to be a successful mechanic, give him a John Deere

Posted By: Seanm
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:44am
Excellent Tom's dad. I will check all that stuff, I very much appreciate your help.
Cheers👍🏼

Posted By: Fletch
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:48pm
I have an 816B and found the differentual making noise. I took it apart and found alot of damaged parts. If you find a source for parts or a used differential please let me know.

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:27am
Did the 816 use a Ford rear ? Know the 715 rear is mfg by Ford and used by AC

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: Fletch
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:33pm
The Axel is a Rockwell Standard Model PR 65 H X 11 The differential assembly is a Rockwell Standard Part No. A55-3200-L-532 with a final ratio of 17.44. The Pinion tooth count is 7 and the drive gear has a count of 37 teeth. One of the bearings failed and as a result the case assembly twisted under the torque and broke. The case assembly comes in two halves and is bolted together. The main ring gear is riveted to the case assembly.

The teeth are all chipped on the ends but the contact surface is mostly intact. I would like to find a used differential assembly if one is out there. Short of scrapping the machine a replacement of the case assembly is a must and then maybe I can limp a little more life out of the machine.

RockWell has been sold to Meritor. It would be nice to get information on what other machines have this differential to broaden my used part search. The suppliers of new parts are saying these parts are obsolete. I am trying to fix this machine without having the repair costs out value the worth of the machine.

If you have any information that can help me, that would be great.

Posted By: Eric B
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 8:50pm
I have owned two 816's, had to do repair work to the diff on one. I have owned three Case 680 backhoes (E, G & H) and they have the same Rockwell differential. Most of what you need should be the same, the Case machines are equipped with air brakes but I think you will be able to do a reasonably easy swap over of the basic diff. It shouldn't be too hard to find Case backhoes, 680 E & 680G in the wreck out stage. Dynahoe  is another brand that had some models with the same Rockwell diff. 

-------------
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net