Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128773
Printed Date: 27 Sep 2024 at 9:08am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: went to an auction today
Posted By: JohnCO
Subject: went to an auction today
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:20pm

Got this for $2,500.  No cap on the exhaust, hope it's not too seized.  What year might it be?

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Replies:
Posted By: TREVMAN
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:27pm
Pretty decent looking unit. Hopefully some acetone/atf will loosen it up. Mid 50's ? Good luck, Trev.

Posted By: shameless (ne)
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 4:01am
nice looker John! a neighbor had one like that, his was an open station and he built a plywood cab for it. the cab was good looking...not slapped together. he used it to clean snow off his parking lot in town. I don't remember the # of it.

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 4:36am
Good thing is, if that old spark motor is seized, you can put a WD motor, out of a tractor right back in...

Posted By: Dgrader
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 5:47am
Should be a plate with serial number on it on frame on right side above the step. Get that and we'll tell ya what year john. I'd say late 50's to early 60's. They used that round tube main frame till 64.

-------------
Ya cain't fix stupid.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 6:14am
Engine looks similar to WD by manifolds if it cannot be fixed maybe a transplant?

Posted By: Ages Cat
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 11:41am
The graders use a different crankshaft than the farm tractor. The shaft is longer to accept the drive pulley for the hydraulic system. Our engine was seized and the crankshaft was cracked about 1/2 the circumference. Be ready to either find a crankshaftshaft or find a D17 engine.

-------------
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400,615, 616,620,720,ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Grader, AC 540 loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity tractors, Agco MT225, Agco 2025,

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:00pm
Serial # is D5677, don't suppose the 56 stands for the year?  May be newer, I'm thinking.
I don't really need one but always have wanted one, I'm sure there will be work for it.
I just happen to have a D17 that was in a barn fire, probably the engine is ok but first I'm putting the acetone/atf in it.  Dropped it off at a friends Pumpkin Farm for part of the machinery display, along with my 655 crawler and D17 propane.  I figure it can sit with the stuff in the cylinders until after Halloween then I'll put a battery in it, start it up and drive it the two miles home - Yeah, Right! lol 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:02pm
Ages Cat, what is the SN on you D?

-------------

Posted By: Dgrader
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:15pm
5677 makes it a 1959.

-------------
Ya cain't fix stupid.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 2:46pm
Thanks!

-------------

Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:33pm
You stole it!  This a D Special with all the options including the step down transmission
that everyone with a D grader would like to have. Only missing power steering.  D-17 engine (rib along the block just above the oil pan)

-------------
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed

Posted By: bikley
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:49pm
John if you get bored with it I'll take it off your hands
nice looking piece of equipment could use it on my gravel road
good score 

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 12:37am
bikley, I want to get it running and play with it first, may sell it someday, or perhaps my heirs will have a great sale.  Long drive back to Maryland if you road it, could probable pay for the trip by grading drives along the way.
Calvin, thanks for the information.  The steering wheel turns about one full revolution before the wheels start to move, may have to look into adjusting it.
The sale bill says no shanks but when loading the machine I noticed they were in the tool box above the blade.  
I notice there is orange paint on the back side of the blade.  Was orange the factory color in 1959?

-------------

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 5:13am
You could get The D graders in orange or yellow...

Posted By: michale34
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:04am
My dad had a d grader as far as I know its still being used today I know for sure it was last year he called it a "motor patrol" I think its a 58 model because mr free bought it new at the same time my dad bought his new insley model l dragline . the allis chalmers dealer sold insley and barber green back then

Posted By: Ages Cat
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:23am
Our grader is a 1956,D-4997.Gasoline D special with WD45 engine.

-------------
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400,615, 616,620,720,ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Grader, AC 540 loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity tractors, Agco MT225, Agco 2025,

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:43pm
Well, John. You certainly got a good deal on that. Least wise, I think so. Good luck with it! Darrel

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 10:03pm
I went over to the pumpkin farm where it is on display and put some atf/acetone in the cylinders.  The spark plug on #1 looks pretty oily, a bit of rust on 2 and 3, #4 looks fine.  Started to put a pop can on the exhaust pipe and discovered it was welded to the manifold.  The pipe was loose as the weld had broken.  Put the can over the top of the manifold with some duct tape to hold it on better.  It had no muffler so will get one and put in the bolt that is supposed to hold it in the manifold.  Looked it over some more and am pretty sure the whole machine was orange from the factory.  Another project, but getting it running is most important. 

-------------

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 7:18am
John that is a solid looking old machine. I hope it runs soon and you'll find how useful it is.

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 7:59am
Our town has one that they still use occasionally on the gravel roads

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net