Uphill/downhill battle continues!!

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Construction and other equipment
Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123662
Printed Date: 28 Sep 2024 at 12:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Uphill/downhill battle continues!!
Posted By: DMiller
Subject: Uphill/downhill battle continues!!
Date Posted: 22 May 2016 at 6:50pm
Been doing some serious final grade work around the new house, had road extension to cut in for our lease farmers, a small patch worked to set a yard/garden shed and all the remnant earth work around the house/garage that finished construct this winter. 

Was moving the last few loads of cut away sod from a terrace grade when I lost a hose to the bucket tilt, man what a mess, now I have to get a little time, pull the blown unit and start replacement of all the lines on the shovel, all about the same age by appearance.  At least no fire as sprayed the engine pretty heavily.

All uphill battles seem to start on a downgrade!

Replies:
Posted By: Dozer
Date Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:14am
Been there Done that. There is nothing like having a bath in hot hydraulic oil while working in a warm dirty, dusty environment. Best wishes on your house project.

I keep trying to find time to pull the transmission on my HD7G

Posted By: michale34
Date Posted: 23 May 2016 at 3:52pm
I have been there and done that like dozer said 100 degree day and a hot oil bath . have seen the aftermath of a few that happened to in the woods and catch fire a yellow machine one day and a rusty piece of iron the next

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 4:10pm
Got off my butt and ordered hoses, will be replacing ALL shovel hoses as the indications are they are all on the verge of rupture, looked to a couple different options, spoke to a local shop but did not feel it warranted almost $1200 in materials(they stated would have to buy a full roll of seldom used hose and oddball fittings would be premium) so I went with Discount Hydraulic and ordered custom fit sizes, saved almost $500 over the local shop and got exactly what I have on the machine as to fitting types.  Other option was to buy field attachable fittings and roll of hose to roll my own, again way out of price range.

Swap them out then a full bath to clear the spilled oil and should be back to work.

Posted By: Dozer
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 6:48am
I have not had good luck with reuseable hose fittings. I purchased a crimper and rolls of hose. Advantage I can replace a hose quickly. The disadvantage I have an expensive inventory.

I use the more expensive "KT" hose that has a higher pressure rating and a tighter minimum bend radius than traditional SAE 100R2 AT

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:14pm
Hi Dozer, I did not wish to have the machinery laying about and growing dust, opted to buy replacement hoses as I can get them done and not worry too much about speed.

Posted By: E7018
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:12pm
I just got 12 hoses from Discount hydraulic hose for a manlift. About a day to take apart and a day back together. All the hoses in the boom got replaced. New hoses seem to be decent quality. All the fittings and length were right.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:50am
This will be the third time I have used DH, not been disappointed yet.  I was just thinking cheaper but in the long run to have them made by someone that has invested in the equipment and can keep inventory rolling plus have the volume of available fittings is a cheap alternative.  I just find it ironic the shops local to me have to charge so much more, the closest in price was 30% higher here even with shipping from PA for DH.

Dozer, KT series hose does work easier on tight installs, just too limited on pocketbook and availed suppliers for purchase.

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 6:13pm
On my HD5G I had Aeroquip hoses with no skive 2 piece reusable fittings - I bought 100 ft of hose bulk and was replacing hoses - then switched over to stock shelf sizes from Fleet Farm - had to replace a couple fittings but was easier and cheaper to use the farm store 2 braid hose in the long run . 
 On the FD5 dozer the long hoses 12' to 14' length seemed to go bad in same area so I had the hose made up into 2 pieces - now just costs to replace like 5' of hose rather than full length - cost me about $10 for the extra 2 fittings per hose .
 Backhoe was a replace all just after first one broke - kept good ones as spares for just in case 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 5:54am
Well managed to get all eight buried and two MP bucket supply lines changed until the heat from last two mornings got to me.  Been 98 by noon both days, so worked until had enough.  Today I fill the hydraulics, exercise the machine and top off oil then give it a good bath.
uploads/916/IMG_1386a.jpg" rel="nofollow - uploads/916/IMG_1386a.jpg
uploads/916/IMG_1387a.jpg" rel="nofollow - uploads/916/IMG_1387a.jpg
uploads/916/IMG_1389a.jpg" rel="nofollow - uploads/916/IMG_1389a.jpg

Old fittings stuck tight in lower cylinders so cut crimp collars and removed hoses then removed the fittings

Posted By: michale34
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 2:00pm
This heat is no joke when summer finaly got here it came in running. I have been working on my tractor radiator the last 2 days poked a hole while bush hogging

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 8:51am
Got the oil filled, managed to get the pressure washer un-buried in the shed but would not pump so no bath for Fat Alice and I live with it tacky as another project arises.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net