Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122928
Printed Date: 27 Sep 2024 at 11:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ag Hall of Fame
Posted By: Carl(NWWI)
Subject: Ag Hall of Fame
Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 9:38pm
Down in Kansas city for the NASCAR race, stopped at the ag Hall of fame, any one here been there? Worth the visit I thought! Had a very cool gleaner see through combine there, a huge wooden Avery thresher, in very nice shape! And of course a McCormick reaper, never seen one in person!

Too bad it isn't closer for me, just the equipment I own would make it much more "Hall of famish" Lol! Theres a lot of pieces that could be there for educational purposes, would make a huge impact I think for people who have no clue about ag, and for those who love it. The one feller there was also very nice and knowledgeable, middle 30's, I think he will take it far, very energetic! Sounds like he's almost in charge if the place.

Just thought I would share,

Carl

Replies:
Posted By: Gary(WI)
Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 10:13pm
We used to go there when we went to national FFA convention back in the 90s.   Gary

Posted By: clintr
Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 10:55pm
The little combine is really neat with the windows in it.   I hope I can make it down there again sometime it is a fun place to see.  If i remember right they were having some issues with funds to keep the place operating.  Kinda sad because there is a lot of wonderful exhibits there.

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:29am
I was there probably 10 years ago.  Nice place to spend an afternoon.
A couple other places to visit in the KC area are the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society) museum north of town.  The other place I find interesting is the Arabia Steam Boat display in an old cold storage locker plant.  The family who owns it found the steam boat half a mile from the river, 30 feet down in a field.  They excavated it out and brought amazing amounts of stuff that was below deck, bolts of cloth, windows, saw mill, tools, etc. etc. plus parts of the boat and the engines and boiler.  It sank in the 1850's on it's way up river and was quickly covered by mud, preserving the contents.  They freeze dried the cloth and such.  Well worth a few hours time to visit, think its kind of downtown but don't remember for sure

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Posted By: David G.
Date Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:37am
I was there in the mid 90's while attending the FFA convention also. It was a pretty cool place to visit.

Posted By: Dennis J OPKs
Date Posted: 06 May 2016 at 7:51am
Thanks for the endorsement. The Ag Hall is in it's second 50 yrs without any tax payer dollars. It was authorized by Congress but not with any financial support. The landscape is different now and the founders and most early supporting corporations are gone. Under new leadership and with a very limited salaried staff, they are working very hard to build new partnerships with the ag. community. It was closed for one season to sort things out but has been re-opened for 2 years, except in the winter. Check the website for the hours and days open. In addition to the Gleaner (when they were mfg in Independence, Mo) they have a fully restored G and RC along with many other colors of various ages. If anyone has contacts with access to possible financial support or anything else that would be helpful, send me a PM. I've been a volunteer for 10 yrs and serve on the Board of Governors. Thanks for the review.        Dennis Johannsen

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net