Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11162
Printed Date: 01 Jul 2024 at 2:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: WTB D17 Rims and Tires
Posted By: jtesdall
Subject: WTB D17 Rims and Tires
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 3:06pm
Just ripped my front right wheel off while moving dirt. Rim is not strong enough for that for long, I have broke two now. I have a hay rack wheel on the other side so I am looking for two front 5 bolt rims and tires. I have one good tire but will take what I can get, tractor is down now.

Also, the tread is probably close to original on the rear and left me stuck several time this winter. So I would also be interested in rear tires with very good tread.

Located in central Iowa Ames/Boone/DesMoines.

Replies:
Posted By: ChuckLuedtkeSEWI
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 8:30pm
One thing i would suggest is getting a set of chains for winter.  Makes the tractor completely different.  I played around in the winter a couple times before I got chains on my d15 and now that I have them, the this is unstoppable.  As far as the five bolt rims, I think the original ones will tend to have problems with the centers when using a loader.  I think someone on here was selling new 5 bolt rims that came heavier then the stock ones for people that were having problems with them on loader tractors. 

Posted By: Chris (swIA)
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 8:37pm
I'll second what Chuck said about the chains. It will make a world of difference on frozen ground. Tony lists the heavier 5 bolt rims for Wd through early D-17 on his site. check him out on the Ad page.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 8:47pm
I have chains although I don't think there are enough cross chains. I think there is a cross like every 6 links. My back tires are pretty cracked and worn but still hold air fine. Where did you guys find your chains? They seems very expensive for new sets.

I will check out Tony's Ad.

Posted By: Chris (swIA)
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 9:21pm

My WD came with field chains. They have more crosslinks than road chains. My tires are the same as yours. Pretty weather checked but still hold air. I figured that I would run them until they wouldn't. Chains can be picked up at auctions, but you need to know the measurements that fit your tires before you go.

Posted By: GregLawlerMinn
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 6:41am
Have a used set of 28" field chains reasonally priced available. Located 140 mi north of Mpls/St Paul. PM if interested.

Posted By: E7018
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:27am
I have used Chevy pickup wheels on the front of a D17. So, there is a pattern that will match. I had a pair of the white steel slotted wheels, real heavy rims, worked good. I 

Posted By: Ken in Texas
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:30am
A solution for reinforcing stock front rims for use with front end loaders is a steel ring with bolt pattern hole spacing and a set of longer wheel bolts. They were offered as a factory option on my Massy 1260 compact when using a front end loader. I have used and abused this tractor under all conditions and have no wheel cracking using the front wheel reinforcing rings. A pair of rings could be made quite easy from 1/4" plate.

Posted By: wayneIA
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:57am
In Radcliffe, IA you call the coop and ask for the tractor rims.  They sell just about any kind of rim that you can ask for, about 2-3 years ago I got two front rims for my WD 45, and the price was around $50 for each and they were cream powder coated.  Their phone number is: 515-899-2484 from Boone it is only about a 47 mile drive to Radcliffe, and they most likely have the rims you need on hand so you could be up and running again Monday.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 11:43am
What tires do you put on the Chevy Rims? Truck tires or will tractor tires fit on those rims?? I can probably find Chevy Rims today.

Thanks for all of the advice folks, this should work out well.

Posted By: Brian G. NY
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 12:06pm
You have to check the center hole size to make sure it is big enuf to fit the A-C hub.
Some of the after market GM wheels have larger center holes than the OEM wheels.

Posted By: Ray
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 12:30pm
I have a pair of like new threre rib Firestone 750x16 6ply tires on five bolt Allis loader front rims $110.00 each. 785-353-2392

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net