This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primer
    Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:58pm
So I go to the local NAPA  store and tell the counter man I want a quart of primer for an old tractor something can be sanded. Get primer $35 and change. Today primered a fender that I've been working on waited about 3 hours go back and check fender still sticky.. Look primer up need a hardener which I didn't get with purchase, go back to store and say primer not drying, counter man looks and mutters finally says you need hardener.  He looks and mutters more and says don't have today be here in the morning.  I asked will what's on my fender eventually dry?  Nope have to wash off with lacquer thinner.  Cannot recommend buying paint from Local NAPA Flowers Auto Parts.....

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 9:37pm
i have not painted for a few years... Is that "common" these days for the PRIMER to have hardener ?? Dont think i ever did that.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 12:34am
that counter person should have told you at the time you purchased the primer. we all are finding that there is no training of sales people other than sell,sell,sell, and don't offer any info cuz that takes time away from more selling! i know we are always in a hurry, but sometimes we have to stop and read the labels! most items that we have always bought thru the years have changed...you know..."it's better now"...translated: it's been made cheaper for the maker, buts costs the consumers more! when i would come home after work, i'd usually stop at the open 24 hr wally world, it would be quiet, less crowded, and i could stop and read labels. boy...did i learn alot by doing that even on food items. and now it saves me money from being able to do that. our new NAPA store opened here a couple years ago, every time I go in there, there are different people, it's   like a revolving door with employees and managers. 
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 1:42am
I recently painted a wd45 that I took all the way down to bare metal and used ...go easy on me here but it came highly recommend by several folks in my area..ok.. John Deere primer, yes its a yellow colored primer but no hardner needed and sprayed smoothly with a small amount of thinner added out of a HVLP gun making me look like I knew what I was a doing. The big plus was the same stuff comes in a spray can and if you miss a spot or just got a couple pieces you forgot after cleaning your gun you can spray bomb them and stay on schedule and they both dry relatively quickly. Followed up with PPG automotive paint to finish the project. If it didnt come in a JD can or from a JD dealer no one would know the difference. Gonna be doing a truck in the near future and plan on using JD primer for that project too.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 5:03am
Just curious if that was epoxy primer?
That’s the only primer I’ve used that requires hardner.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

...go easy on me here but it came highly recommend by several folks in my area..ok.. John Deere primer

John Deere does have some excellent products. I use their starting fluid and corn head grease. I never thought of their primer (which I suspect is made by Valspar, who also makes AGCO's paint).

Personally, I use a marine primer (zinc chromate) that I have had good luck with.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 5:40am
Primers have changed up some in last few years, got that from the Body Shop I am buying my supplies thru.  The primer I will use on Bare Fiberglass and the roof of the sleeper is a Two Part(Recommended) with hardener as fills small voids and pits well as well gets to a hardness to not bleed thru the paint but does require a sealer.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 8:43am
I would recommend you spend a little time with google on primers.

I always used two part etching primer to seal bare metal.  If not smooth enough or needed more body work followed on with the regular sanding primer that was thinned with lacquer thinner.  Been a bunch of moons but I got my stuff from ORiley's to include the single coat urethane - no follow on with clear.  Confused
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 11:03am
gee..he asked for primer, got primer....
now the 'kid behind the counter' MIGHT have 'assumed' he already HAD the hardener.....just need more paint.

jes sayin.......

most automotive grade primers are 2 part,though depends on brand and type...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 1:46pm
So the snot nosed kid behind the counter assumed (ass-u-me). It's getting to the point you have to do everything for some of the counter people nowadays. Used to be the parts people knew there products well enough to make sure that you had everything you would need so you would be happy with their product.  Those days are long gone. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 2:39pm
Still got a story of the day i went to the Auto Parts store to buy FREEZE PLUGS...They didnt know what they were.. I described one and he said " we just threw a box out.. do you want them?" ....got a dozen for FREE.. they had NEVER sold one, didnt know what they were.

Another time i went to buy a "carburetor kit" for a 350 Chuby... Guy says " lawn mowers got carburetors, truck got injectors"....... told him to look up a 1965 Chevy truck... They had 4 kits on the shelf.. "well, we never have sold one of them !!"....
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 7:10pm
Update:  finally got hardener today after making a total of 4 trips to store counting initial
trip to make purchase.  
This caused  a lot of extra work washing off primer, sanding,  reapply glazing spot putty, as lacquer thinner removed it.  
Glad only sprayed 1 fender, would hated to washed any more off with lacquer thinner, that's a mess. 
As to the counter guy assuming I had hardener he would have to of known what hardener to match primer.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 6:47am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Still got a story of the day i went to the Auto Parts store to buy FREEZE PLUGS...They didnt know what they were.. I described one and he said " we just threw a box out.. do you want them?" ....got a dozen for FREE.. they had NEVER sold one, didnt know what they were.

Another time i went to buy a "carburetor kit" for a 350 Chuby... Guy says " lawn mowers got carburetors, truck got injectors"....... told him to look up a 1965 Chevy truck... They had 4 kits on the shelf.. "well, we never have sold one of them !!"....
Ohhhh I just love it when they tell you something where they're so smart and like you don't know what you're talking about!AngryAngryAngry
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 11:17am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Wink You did not ask if he could just have the carb kit too, as nobody else would ever want it.LOL

But Cry my how time fly's I think 87 was the first year GMC had fuel injection. As my uncle was real happy with his improved fuel mileage on 87 over his 80 model. That makes it well over 30 years since fuel injection became the common way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic