This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PPG Persian Orange SOLVED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobDinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PPG Persian Orange SOLVED
    Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:03pm
Has anyone else had a problem getting a good match for PO with PPG 60080? I have used PPG acrylic urethane single stage paint - formula 60080 for years with perfect match each time it was mixed. However, a few weeks ago the clerk said there was a change to the formula and when I spayed it, the result was not a match. It is too red - somewhere between PO and PO #2.

I am happy to report that the local PPG auto paint store kept working at the formula and came up with a very good match still using the acrylic urethane direct gloss paint I had been using. Reportedly the solution involved switching to a lighter shade of yellow in the formula. I am off and running on painting the 1949 G that will match the 1948 G that I restored a few years ago.

Edited by BobDinNC - 07 Jun 2020 at 4:21pm
Sponsored Links

WLHD21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLHD21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:35pm
Same problem, was told the red toner has lead in it now they want us to use water based paint, Now they want to color match with computer to an original paint sample. Got to love the EPA for stopping all the people that drink paint.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:28pm
No we gotta save the kiddies out knawing on the tractor cause their hungry. Lead is used in a lot of things like plastic and mold releases etc. There are so frigin worried about us and other restorers that they miss where the real problems lay. So let more Chinese Crap through that don't seem to have to pass the same standard verbiage wise. (One thing is interpreted as another!) And someone gets paid off.

I'm sorry I Rant.
Work as Environmental Coordinator in the 90's.

Edited by chaskaduo - 21 May 2020 at 3:30pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
C in Concord View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:00pm
Heard a similar story when I bought my paint last week.  Went with the YS073 code in a Nason single stage urethane instead.  Looks good to my eye... Definitely less red in it than the rattle can stuff I've used.

Ben
Leave things better than you found them.

1941 Model C (restored 2020)
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:54pm
I am using Nason 2K Urethane now. Planning to try color spray tomorrow if the weather holds out.   They matched the battery box to my B pretty close. It was done with Van Sickle PO #1 that I am OK with. I added a pic at bottom. I think the Van Sickle tended toward too red also as it got sun.

Seems like I had seen that YS074 was supposed to be the newer Dupont code for PO #1 but I can't remember where I saw it. The old spray out was below.

Just beware, the hardeners in these paints are very dangerous to lungs, eyes, skin until they cure out. Wear all the PPE you can afford.

Edited by Rick of HopeIN - 22 May 2020 at 9:02pm
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
BobDinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobDinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:46am
WLHD21, do you have the formula for the paint you bought? I assume you got a good match. Take the PPG consumer label off the can and you will find the mixture used. Here is what I have that comes out too red. uploads/750/Can_with_label.jpg
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:45am
Yes, a lot of the old formulas have changed. I've gotten paint matched for a 1989 Mustang twice in the last 3 years and both times I went in they said some of the pigments were discontinued from last time! Fortunately the new formula was a pretty good match but a lot of the red/orange/yellow colors had nasty stuff in them back in the day. It's not just lead, a lot of the natural sources of pigments are highly toxic compounds and are hazardous to manufacture.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
d17brown View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d17brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:02pm
I switched to AUE 360
phil
BobDinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobDinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 6:45pm
Have you bought any since PPG changed the formula for 60080? Did you use 60080 as the code for the UAE 360? Does it give a true color similar to what was produced by Omni/Shopline acrylic urethane? I don't mind switching to something else as long as I can get the right color. I'm restoring a '49 G and I want the color to match the "48 G I restored a couple years ago.
Glenn (NJ) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn (NJ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:21pm
Last winter my PPG jobber told me that the formulary no longer had a mix for acrylic enamel, only for the single stage urethane, and that was based on leaded orange and leaded yellow toner are that are NLA. One of their other locations supposedly had the correct toner available.   They had the paint mixed there and transferred to them. This is what I got:

the top stick is a mix from a few years back. Naturally I wasn’t happy having just spent $600 for 3 gallons of this stuff. I sprayed a test panel of the old mix and had them fix it. I'm not sure what they did since with this social distancing stuff it was a curb pickup and I didn't get to talk with the tech that fixed it.

Anyway, this is it on the B:

amac View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:43pm
If you’re looking for ppg paint forget the automotive stores and go to the ppg stores that sell house paint and industrial paint. They have an ag color chart in their industrial line and they have several correct colors for JD and caseih among others because they sell paint to the manufacturers. I’ve never had a problem getting a Persian 1 or 2 color match as long as I take a sample with me. Their high solids acrylic enamel and single stage urethane cover and spray better than omni or ppg auto urethane.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:50am
The last Orange Allis used was Corporate Orange , it had more red to it , rumor I've heard is that's the normal now for all AC color thru paint makers, don't know for sure but I've heard that
BobDinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobDinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:14pm
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for a home/industrial paint store.
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:45pm
PPG has evidently changed their formulas, bought a qt of 60080 was so far off color I thought I had given the wrong number.  Sent it back and they replaced it, sent a breather cap with correct color, haven't tried it yet.
There is a PPG house and Industrial paint dealer just a mile from house and he said the color additives weren't the same as Automotive paint.
amac View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by TMiller/NC TMiller/NC wrote:

PPG has evidently changed their formulas, bought a qt of 60080 was so far off color I thought I had given the wrong number.  Sent it back and they replaced it, sent a breather cap with correct color, haven't tried it yet.
There is a PPG house and Industrial paint dealer just a mile from house and he said the color additives weren't the same as Automotive paint.
That’s right. It shouldn’t be that way but the industrial and automotive code numbers don’t crossover. If you can get a sample color close enough to what you’re looking for the industrial side can match it and they should be able to keep that match on file for you.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:04pm
I guess i dont get it.... SOMEBODY screwed up... If they had 60080 and then CHANGED the adatives....... you should STILL have the same color .... if you dont, then its not 60080 anymore ?  Not saying it didnt happen, but SOMEBODY SCREWED UP !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tom IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:05am
I just checked last week they said 60080 no longer available because of the additives to get the correct color they said bring a sample and they can shot it and should be able to match so I will know in a couple weeks let you know how it comes out
BobDinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobDinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 10:39am
When I ask for the PPG industrial paints they quoted a price for DEVGUARD 4308 ALKYD INSTUSTIRAL GLOSS ENAMEL.  Is that what I should be looking for? It was only $43/gallon and I've been paying $35/qt for the automotive paint.
amac View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by BobDinNC BobDinNC wrote:

When I ask for the PPG industrial paints they quoted a price for DEVGUARD 4308 ALKYD INSTUSTIRAL GLOSS ENAMEL.  Is that what I should be looking for? It was only $43/gallon and I've been paying $35/qt for the automotive paint.
Their high grade products begin with a “QT”. The QT380 is a urethane that is high quality. QT150 is a high solids acrylic enamel. You can find all of their industrial products on the PPG FINE FINISH web site
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:16pm
No Bob........... you should not be using an alkyd enamel... Thats generic paint you get at the hardware store to paint the kids swing set...

You are looking for an acrylic enamel which is automotive paint...  as mentioned , for more money you can get Urethane or Epoxy, but the ACRYLIC is good quality paint.
kelso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:18am
Tom,

Are anyone else, Were you able to get a good PPG match on the newest 60080 formula? I need to get PO #1 for my 1949 C that I have been restoring.  If so can you provide the formula information. Thanks, Tim
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:11pm
I used the nason On my rims and I thought it looked nice.

kelso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 8:02pm
Thanks 55allis for your info.  Today I found out that the local PPG paint shop at the NAPA store found 2 quarts remaining of the orange toner M130 from a sister store. He is getting that M130 toner and can make up the paint I need for painting my model C project so for now I have found what I need.  Cheers, Tim
kelso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:30pm
another update on PPG Persian Orange #1 paint #60080.

I was not able to get the remaining PPG toner M130 which is discontinued as expected.

But my local PPG paint guy called the PPG library and was able to get an updated non-leaded MTK 60080 formula that has been created by PPG to replace the leaded 60080 formula. The same PO #1 formula number is used i.e., 60080.

I did not get a copy of the formula but the leaded toners M130 (orange) and M114 (yellow) were dropped and replaced by different toners.

The updated non-leaded 60080 formula is not in the PPG database yet so when a PPG rep looks it up they only find the leaded formula.  Have them call the PPG library and get the non-leaded 60080 formula for your paint.

I got a sample to test out and below is a quick tests.  Let me know what ya'll think of the color.

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:36pm
Looks really close. Do they call it spectramaster yellow?
kelso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:45pm
55allis,

I did not see the name spectramaster yellow listed.  There is a yellow toner M115 used.

For PPG paint it still goes by the code 60080.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by kelso kelso wrote:

another update on PPG Persian Orange #1 paint #60080.

I was not able to get the remaining PPG toner M130 which is discontinued as expected.

But my local PPG paint guy called the PPG library and was able to get an updated non-leaded MTK 60080 formula that has been created by PPG to replace the leaded 60080 formula. The same PO #1 formula number is used i.e., 60080.

I did not get a copy of the formula but the leaded toners M130 (orange) and M114 (yellow) were dropped and replaced by different toners.

The updated non-leaded 60080 formula is not in the PPG database yet so when a PPG rep looks it up they only find the leaded formula.  Have them call the PPG library and get the non-leaded 60080 formula for your paint.

Has anybody tried this yet? I may have some painting I need to do soon, and was just curious.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 1:16pm
I would talk to your local Supplier or Body Shop to see if he has the info.. If not, have him call...

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I would talk to your local Supplier or Body Shop to see if he has the info.. If not, have him call...

Thanks, I appreciate this. Making a note in my hardcopy files of tractor stuff for my WD when buying paint.
kelso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kelso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:36pm
Hi Garden_guy,

Sorry for the delay in giving an update on the PPG paint.

I have been painting a lot since July and below is a photo of my painting tractor parts with the new non-lead PPG 60080.  The lighting does play with the tone color.  This is under fluorescent lighting.

I have most parts painted and will show more pictures as I get the C together.

Tim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic