This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

power steering pulley dd grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power steering pulley dd grader
    Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:46pm
What are the chances of finding the pulley that bolts on to the 3 grooved front crankshaft pulley on a dd grader, wanting to install power steering pump. Page 162 of parts book shows this pulley, part number 70660822.Would appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:12pm
You might try Wengers, Myerstown PA, they usedta have some DD parts...Wink
sparky52 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:41pm
Thank you Dave
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:06am
Hi.   I had my P.S. pulley made at a machine shop. Take the existing pulley with you so they can match.   Ross,
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:27am
   Sparky, were you able to get some pictures of your new-to-you grader? We all love pictures.
   Be sure to check the front mounted steering gear box. Parts are extremely hard to get; so, check this gearbox for leaks and proper gear meshing.

Ross.
sparky52 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 4:39pm
Hey Ross, thanks for the information, I knew the machine shop was were I would probably have to go , but thought I might try the forum first. My son works for a oil company in Port Arthur Texas as a machinist. He has a couple of lathes in his shop at home, I have had him build a new hub for the new water pump so for. Seems to me if you are going to own one of these A C Graders you need a Mill and lathe. A donar machine would be handy also. I have yet to become familiar with what parts are available threw retail and salvage. As for pictures I was waiting to roll this little unit out with fresh paint before posting pictures. I have really enjoyed the A C forum with the mountains of information posted. Really appreciate your reply.                                             
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:03pm
Might buy pulley  and just machine bore  to make it fit.Had a book on pulleys and made one once,Need correct angles and spacing for  dia of pulleys.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 9:34am
Good morning.   I could never understand why A C did not automatically put power steering on their 'D Special' graders. I have a 'D Special' and it was shipped with every option as standard equipment; except, power steering. We are currently trying to install this option.

It appears that a lot of option are available if you decide to put P S on. My parts book shows:

There are, of course, so many options for appropriate equipment to adapt to the grader for P S. Automotive pumps with reservoirs , pumps driven from other sources like the distributor, most seem to have added a priority valve to the existing hydraulic system in order to rob enough oil to power steer.
   Here are some miscellaneous pictures.
   How do you intend to install the system?
sparky52 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 5:45pm
Hey Ross, took your advice and did some surgery on the front steering box. After opening it up found some bearing problems. So decided to update to a later model steering box. Found that a steering box off a S10 has the same splines as the A C Grader, believe this is the way I want to go. Also want to mount automotive power steering pump so as to not rob fluid from main valves. This application is not as neat as I would like, but for long term I believe its the best.

David
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 7:37pm

Hi David.
   Here is pictures from an old grader that was at the Pontiac, Il. G.O.T.O. show this year. The pictures show an automotive style pump mounted on the R H side, driven off the crankshaft pulley, and located below the alternator. Sorry that the pictures are not very good and the sizing of the pictures.

Here may be an idea that you might want to consider sometime. This man says that this addition to the blade angle really works well for fine grading applications.

Ross.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 9:30pm
Looks like putting  pump on dist would be putting to much  on  gov gear  and dis gear train. I know it was used as an add on on small tractors. I would go for the belt.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 10:22pm

Probably was a common usage:

Ross.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic