This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Port matching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Port matching
    Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 12:55pm
Before I reassemble my manifold I was wondering if I would get any gains by doing some port matching? I have already cleaned up all my runners and got them smoothed out as far in as I could go.
1954 WD45
Sponsored Links

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 1:08pm
I asked that same question when I rebuilt my 160 gas got my d15. A couple of old timers who built hot rods in the 50s told me that they wouldn't bother with any motor that would spin under 3000 rpm. They claimed that the air flow with the stock parts was more then sufficient for motors at the lower speeds and that you only saw performance improvements when you got to the higher rpm motors don't know for sure but the two guys I talked to sure did build some nice hot rods.
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 3:15pm
I do turn about 3200 rpms if I open it up.
1954 WD45
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 3:29pm
I would say yes you are up in the speed where it will help. I was told to make sure that all the transitions in the direction of the air flow are smooth. That is to say if the air flows from a small chamber to a larger chamber you don't need to worry about port matching because the air will expand and flow freely if it flows from a larger chamber to a smaller one you want to match the port ams smooth it out so the air doesn't hit a sharp lip.   What I was told is that as air speed increases the smoother the transition the less disturbance you will have and disturbance robs power. So in your case I would try it. But in this case I only have second hand knowledge I haven't ever tried it myself.

Edited by Dan73 - 07 Apr 2016 at 3:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic