This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plow`reset

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plow`reset
    Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 9:36am
Which`automatic`type`reset`works`the`best`for`a`moldboard`plow?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 10:52am
Allis-Chalmers only had one design of auto reset, and it was hydraulic with a lot of linkage to the plow bottom. It was a good system and I have spent some time over the years using a 6-bottom on-land hitch. The negatives were six hydraulic cylinders and an accumulator to maintain. IH for example had a reset plow with big coil springs instead of hydraulic cylinders. They also had a good plow. I imagine it was less upkeep over the years.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 9:07pm
I had an IH, think it was great, also had AC hyd worked good but a lot of mechanism
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 11:21pm
I’ve only used two designs of moldboard plows, the IH auto-reset spring, and the old Oliver auto-reset hydraulic style. Both worked very good. I would give a slight advantage to the IH, just for the fact the spring reset was a tad quicker. For the quality of the plowed ground, the Oliver was better. One important tip when plowing with any style of auto-reset, is proper ground speed. Auto-reset’s are designed to reset immediately upon clearing the obstruction, in other words right on the back side of the rock(or whatever), not 3, 4, 5 feet after going over the rock, it there is unplowed ground showing, your ground speed is too fast. We plowed with an IH 856, 18.4 x 38 rears, low range 3rd gear TA forward, wide open throttle. We had the power to use 4th gear, but the quality of the plowing was poor.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 5:40am
many thanks for your replies Gentlemen 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 6:20am
Oliver had the first hydraulic reset plow. It's break-back linkage was pretty simple and straightforward. The flaw was, the point of the plow share went deeper into the ground when it initially broke back. This is what A-C and IH tried doing (with success) with their uneven parallel linkage. As the bottom broke away, the shares point always kept raising, trying to get over the obstruction. This helped with the bottom re-entering the ground much quicker, not leaving those bald spots in the field. But, in order to do this, the plow became more complex and expensive. Pick your poison.

Edited by DrAllis - 13 Nov 2023 at 6:21am
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 8:33am
I got a Ford 150 spring auto reset, 3-16 plow. It was built by Oliver/White for Ford. It just got two big coil springs for each plow bottom. Simple design. I brought it at an estate auction back in 1999 and they also sold a Ford 7000 tractor also and that was his only big tractor so I assume it was brought with that tractor.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 10:09am
Hard to beat the spring reset on the Scandinavian style plows. The Kvernelands are particularly good - night and day difference over the old school spring resets you'd get on the North American plows like the IH's, etc.

Not that the old ones were particularly bad, it's just that the Kvernelands, Overums, etc. are superb for both consistent pressure and being able to take a s***-kicking. In some of our rocky fields at our Northern farm the boards seem to spend more time out of the ground than in. We have many places where bedrock shoals hover just a few inches below the surface. We used to go through a lot of plows, and behind one of our machine sheds is our plow graveyard with IH's, Fords, Whites, and a few others. Then we bought a Kverneland with the coil resets - that plow is still working just dandy, and we plow a lot more ground now than we used to.

I prefer the coil-spring style resets over the leaf-springs: The leaf-springs have slightly more consistent pressure and linear spring characteristics, but the coils allow the board to come back much farther and are better for really rocky/abusive ground.

We found the best of the North-American style plows were the IH 720's. Tried a couple of hydraulic resets, they didn't stick around long. They might have been ok in better ground where you'd only have the occasional trip, and where it was only one board at a time. When you trip frequently or come suddenly across bedrock and multiple boards trip at once, however, the small lines to the accumulator can't handle the flow volume as well and it doesn't react as well. Plus you have an accumulator to charge that requires a high-pressure nitrogen tank and special fill adapters/gauges. We never had a Massey with hydraulic reset, but I always heard they plowed excellent but had the worst hydraulic resets: Apparently the accumulators weren't large enough to handle the volume from a several boards tripping at once, and you'd blow the bladder out.

Spring resets work just dandy - no idea why we (or anyone) added the unnecessary complication of hydraulics.

Edited by DanielW - 13 Nov 2023 at 10:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic