This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plate Planter/Seeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plate Planter/Seeds
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:35pm
Greetings all,
This season, I noticed a waxy coating on my seed plates of my 70 series planter units.  The picture is below. 

I spoke with my seed company, as one of the bags of graded seeds (medium Flat B-7 plate) had lots of rounds in it.  So much so that I had one field that had so many misses and skips that I had to replant. 

I can imagine those rounds seeds not fitting in the seed plate, and the cut off tongue pushing/popping them away from the seed drop.  As they push and ride on the plate, I could see them leaving the seed coating on the plate as they rub together. 

I also had this happen on a field that had a similar graded seed, (medium Flat B-6)  using those plates, and there were no round kernels in those bags. 

A problem with my planter?  Do I need to add things to the hopper to assist (graphite), Other ideas? 

Thank you for your help.

John
Allis Express: Eastern PA on Rt 80
8050, 8010, 6080, 190, D14, DA 6035, AA 6690, 5650, Gleaner F2
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:49am
round kernals ain't gonna work with the flat plates, I know you know that! when ordering your seed, make sure you tell the dealer that you are using a plate type planter. I didn't think about that one year and I got what you got, a mixture of flats and rounds. also tell them what plate numbers you are using, they will deliver (or should) the proper sized seed for your plates.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:50am
also....I would wash/clean those plates off before using them again.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 8:59am
I use graphite on a plate planter and have good luck with it . used crop plan seed this year. I feel we all will be looking for a plateless planter in the near future. Due to seed sizing. Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 8:28pm
my seed company says they will never be able to get away from plate type graded seed, there are too many plate planters still used all over the world.
Johnwilson_osf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 9:56pm
I have had great luck from my seed company with graded seeds for years.  I just happened to get one bag from one lot that had round kernels mixed in with the flats.  I assume the seives got a hole in them or something. 

I will clean the plates for certain.  Will try a little graphite as well just to help.  I just looked at the last two fields I planted.  The field that had the rounds mixed in has skips and blanks.  Then the other field, which was the last field on new plates, is beautiful picket fences. 

Thanks for the help everyone.  If anyone has insight on the mechanics of the 70 series planter units, and if those parts get worn, I would still gladly take any advice. 

Cheers,
John
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:38pm
shameless and johnwilson, what seed companies please?  I'm 0 for 2 pretty much, though flats are coming in graded better than rounds (er, so it seems, figuring I'll get burnt again soon enough)
Johnwilson_osf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 5:03pm
Tbone, Check out Unity Seeds, based in Lafayette, IN.  http://www.unityseeds.com/ Overall I have had great luck with graded seeds from them. 

John
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 10:15pm
Fontanelle hybrids, golden harvest, others   
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:04am
Thanks guys....Never heard of either Fontanelle or Unity.  I see some golden harvest around.

....might just retrofit my planter...

Edited by Tbone95 - 07 Aug 2017 at 7:05am
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:17am
Have the seed companies gotten careless and just assumed that everyone has gone to air planters? Back when I was a whippersnapper you got a bag of flats when you bought flats and you got rounds when you bought rounds. We never had problems like this back when all planters used plates.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:26am
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Have the seed companies gotten careless and just assumed that everyone has gone to air planters? Back when I was a whippersnapper you got a bag of flats when you bought flats and you got rounds when you bought rounds. We never had problems like this back when all planters used plates.

Short answer, yes probably.  They used to put the plate number to use right on the bag.  Not anymore.  Hard to say exactly, the rounds are basically round, the flats basically flat, but the size is all over the map.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 12:12pm
If you want to see their head spin tell the 25 year old seed company rep you want sized seed for a plate planter to pick. I have used Ruffs, unity,styer and planted crop plan this year. Scott PS I will be looking for a air planter soon.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 2:34pm
I don't think I'll go all the way up to an air planter, I don't have the coin for that.  But I think a precision plant finger pick up retrofit would be quite doable.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 8:13pm
Buy large rounds, those plates will plant anything.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 6:35am
That's the trouble though, when you buy large rounds, you don't necessarily get large rounds.
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 7:03am
Sometimes the type of coating itself has a problem, my neighbor has a Kinze plate planter and he could not get his Dyna Grow beans to plant, had to replant 3 times but the other brand of bean he planted was treated but had no issues and he had no issues with his corn.
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 7:20am
Size, Weight? Coating? An air planter should be able to plant anything. I know nothing about the fine details of how an air planter works, but is there an adjustment for changing the suction? Perhaps that needs to be tweaked.
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:12am
I have had plates get like that before from seed coatings. I went to a Deere 7200 because graded seed was not graded like years ago and we were having trouble getting the stands we wanted. Years ago you might have had 10 different flats or rounds now the seed companies only make about three of each. Much more variation in your bag of seed. I also like the Deere closing wheel set up much better in notill and I have never seen row cleaners for a 600 Allis planter. I planted alot of corn with my two different 600 plate planters but should have switched to something else before I did. The 600's were then made into bean planters and did a great job. But with today's radial soybean meters and the high price of seed I would not go back to that either. Tom
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:49pm
A CaseIH 900 6 row can be found for $1000.
One box and does good job.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

That's the trouble though, when you buy large rounds, you don't necessarily get large rounds.
I believe he was reffering to Large round PLATES, planting any seed.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 11 Aug 2017 at 12:58pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I believe he was reffering to Large round PLATES, planting any seed.

I understand that.  But if you are trying to grow an actual corn crop, singulation, population, and skip elimination are CRUCIAL, and buying a plate with a large round cell because it will simply slobber out any seed isn't a very good solution.  So if you tried to buy a large round seed to go in your large round plate, it may not necessarily match so hot these days.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 12:39pm
Well, If a guy is looking for a bumper crop, a plate type planter is like using a model T at the Indy 500. All I plant is food plots and got away from an old plate type to get a better stand, just to help with canopy to keep the weeds down.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic