This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pittsburgh, Pa invasion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pittsburgh, Pa invasion
    Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 7:44am

Was on my way to my first svc call yesterday when I noticed a very large (for what is normally seen on the river) Naval craft, guns and all! Turns out to be a preserved LST on tour. I never saw one of these things in person............way bigger than I expected for a landing craft! I know a lot of these were built in SWPA by Dravo Corp during the war.

I'll get pics today to post

Edited by LouSWPA - 03 Sep 2010 at 3:23pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 3:30pm
OK, here's the pic's, as promised
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 7:07pm
Your right Lou, much bigger than I would have expected also. Thanks for posting. God Bless
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
schreps View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schreps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 7:30pm
LST-325 has a distinguished war record. Not to mention an interesting tale of how she was repatriated. Would be interesting to find out if AC made any of her machinery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-325 
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 10:57am
LST-325 was in the European Theater in WWII. 
The mother of one of my best friends was part of a group who obtained this LST from Greece.
The ship is docked in Mobile, Alabama for 11 months out of the year.  It was built in Evansville, Indiana.  There is an LST museum in Evansville.
My dad was a chief petty officer on two different LSTs in WWII in the Pacific.
The first LST 480 got blown up in West Loch.
On May 21, 1944, the tank landing ship LST-353 exploded at West Loch while handling ammunition. In a short space of time, six LSTs were so damaged that they sank. Two others were severely damaged. 163 sailors were killed; 396 wounded. near Ford Island.   (they suspect someone was welding on one of the LSTs) and it blew.  This was the second biggest naval disaster after the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. 
To this day, the bow of the 480 can be seen sticking out of the water.
My dad's second ship, LST 808, got sunk twice in two days at the island of Ishima.
Daddy was just getting off his break in the wardroom and someone stopped him in the hallway to ask him a question.  All of a sudden there was a big jolt and things went dark.  An aerial torpedo hit the engine room. 
Another LST pushed his ship onto a reef, to keep it from going under. 
All the good stuff was off loaded and the ship was abandoned except for a security detail.
The next day, the tide was out and the ship appeared to be floating like a normal ship.  A Kamikaze dove into the ship through the captain's quarters. 
You know that Jap pilot was having a bad day.  First he was a Kamikaze and second he sunk a ship which had already been sunk.  See folks, there is justice, even in war.
Daddy refered to the LST as Large Slow moving Target.
http://www.nps.gov/archive/usar/scrs/scrs2z.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-480
http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/160808.htm

Edited by Clay - 04 Sep 2010 at 10:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic