This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of the remaining LaPorte Works buildings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of the remaining LaPorte Works buildings
    Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:11am
   I took these this past winter in LaPorte on one of my runs up there helping with the Rumely Allis Chalmers LaPorte Heritage Center and planning for the Gathering of the Orange 2014. These two buildings are referred to as the "Government Buildings" by people I have talked to in LaPorte, so I assume the M6, (M4?) and Ontos were developed within. I am trying to determine what they were used for after the Military production ceased. If Anybody has further info or corrections, It would be much appreciated.
Here are the Pics:

I think this might have been part of the Powerhouse ? The smokestak was just beyond this building, I believe.

Edited by Rfdeere - 29 Oct 2011 at 12:13am
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Sponsored Links

Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:22am
   When I get a chance on a future trip to LaPorte, I will get some more pictures of these and some of the surrounding area.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:16am
Rf thanks for the pic's nice to get an idea of what it looks like down there.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:36pm
Thanks for posting. Alot of history there. Ryan
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 8:06pm
Those are great pictures. Did you paint the AC on the wall?? hahaha
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:23pm
Is that a for-sale sign out front??  lets get to work building those orange tractors again!  LOL
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:12am
Originally posted by AllisChalmers37 AllisChalmers37 wrote:

Those are great pictures. Did you paint the AC on the wall?? hahaha

Nope, not me. I thought when I saw that maybe the last AC employee painted that when leaving, but I would guess just graffiti.

Edited by Rfdeere - 30 Oct 2011 at 12:13am
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Wes (VA) Wes (VA) wrote:

Is that a for-sale sign out front??  lets get to work building those orange tractors again!  LOL

I don't remember off the top of my head but I think they lease warehouse space out, but I have heard the buildings have been for sale. Would be neat to see orange AC equipment coming out the end again !
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:31am
   Going to add some related LaPorte pics I have to this thread.

The plaques commemorating Rumely in LaPorte (Located at the LaPorte hospital, that is built on ground that was donated by Allis Chalmers):

The display at the LaPorte county museum:

Edited by Rfdeere - 30 Oct 2011 at 12:52am
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 9:02pm

Got some more pictures. First pictures are taken from the noth end of the US 35 / IN 39 overpass. This is just north of the railroad tracks (which is what the overpass goes over). This would have been the south west corner of the Allis Chalmers LaPorte works:

The strip mall stores in these next pictures would be approximately were the main assembly building would have been (viewed from southeast to northeast):

There is farm equipment still here, sadly it is not built here:

These pictures are looking north, northwest, west, and southwest:

The next few are from the North end of the alley between the Stripmall and west AC Goverment building:

Then the west side, from the north to the south, of the west Goverment building:

South end of the west AC building:

Looking southeast of the AC buildings:

More of the south end of the west AC building:

Going up the east side of the west building:

Looking to the north again:

Looking down:

North to south of the west side of the east building:

The south end of the east building:

That's all I could take right now. The rest is all fenced off. I will post one more picture of an overhead view of the area from Google Earth for an idea of the area :

Thanks.
Dannyhtn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyhtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 10:17pm
These posts bring back old memories from when I lived near LaPorte in 1969, when my Dad's company had a job there. I was in high school and worked for Charles Tonisoni that summer at the Metro Coop Egg Farm. He likely passed away many years ago but did anyone know him or the farm operation he ran? He paid me $1.25/hr to work inside the egg operation and occasionally clean the hog barns. The work was the dirtiest and smelliest I could imagine but I never knew a kid could make that big money and I worked with great guys. One teenage worker I liked was named Pete and he played football for the high school in Laporte. Its a real long shot but would anyone in that area have even a thought about Pete's full name and what became of him? 

Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 4:26pm
   What year did he play football ?
Dannyhtn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyhtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 10:09pm
He had already played at least one year by the summer of 69, and likely had two more seasons. He was a friend of the Tonisoni's and had worked at the egg farm prior to 69 as well. 
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:33am
BUMP

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if the person that  originally posted these picture could repost them I would appreciate it
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:54am
Don, you can probably contact him through members profile...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:18am
I found them saved on an old jump drive I had lol, so never mind. Forget I even mentioned it lol

FYI, I found a lot of cool stuff I had forgot about on that jump drive lol
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:34am
can you post the pictures for those of us that were not around 6 years ago to see them please
TheGleaner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 12:23pm
Reviving this again but: it says it closed in 83, yet my understanding is that conventional combines were made here(when I asked the dealer on why my L3 cab has a "Allis Chalmers LaPorte Works" serial tag on it.) 83 model by the way.

Or was it just the cabs or something?
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:40pm
Wonder how many people lost their jobs there? How many were employed in its heyday? Such a darn shame, so many great products came out of those doors
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Shannon190XT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannon190XT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:59am
I went to the Tractor Show in September & talked to the Director, Paul. He said that the most employed there was 3,000 employees.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by TheGleaner TheGleaner wrote:

Reviving this again but: it says it closed in 83, yet my understanding is that conventional combines were made here(when I asked the dealer on why my L3 cab has a "Allis Chalmers LaPorte Works" serial tag on it.) 83 model by the way.

Or was it just the cabs or something?

The tractor and combine cabs as well as combine headers were built in LaPorte.  The Gleaners were built in Independence until production was moved to Hesston a few years ago. 

LaPorte was the home of Advance Rumely, when AC bought it the plant became home of the hay and harvesting products such as the All-Crop combines, roto balers, corn pickers, cotton pickers, manure spreaders, forage harvesters, blowers, etc.  It was once known as the Harvester Capital Of The World as there were so many combines built there. 

Last time I was there I see they built a Buffalo Wild Wings near where the office building was.  Such a shame that such innovation has been replaced with a chain restaurant that serves stale beer and microwaved food while it plays music too loud.
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 3:15pm
Didn't they build those buildings for plane supercharger and probably the Ontans too, but then lost the big contract for supercharger?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic