This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pickup tires.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pickup tires.
    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:55pm
Had a studded snow tire separate on me today. It's been over 35 years since that's happened. Might take it in and see if there's any adjustment on it.
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:04am
I replaced the good for a year with Hankook's on the GMC. So far, I am glad I did. I didn't know I had a traction problem until I had these put on. They push the snowplow though just about anything.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:23am
Iowa still allows studded tires??? whew...I ain't seen any of them for years!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:53am

Hey There Good Buddy,,,,,you know,,,you always chidin all us to "check in" regular like,,,you know in case if we gots to go and dig you out of your self induced BLIZZARD,,,,so you need to follow your advise,,,OK,,??Clap
  OK,,now that we gots the formalities out the way,,,How you been these days,,,?? I been tryin to check out your new kitchen but you was pretty shrewd in puttin it behind them big old trees wasn't you,,??
 I keep wonderin whats goin on with people in your neck of the woods as first off,,ole Les,,,he don't come on here no more and now YOU can't find time for us crusty older fellars,,,,we need some talk and comforts to,,,You Know,,???ClapClap
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 9:39am
gee, studs and chains been illegal here in Ontario for 2-3 coons ages...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:45pm
YEP....... don't be driving across the border into Illinois..... you wont last long.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 6:02am
Mo still has allowance for certain months, before or after and can be ticketed. Would LOVE to be able to stud up a set of tires here.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 8:50am
Family member had tire business in the NE for decades and he would rib me about tires when I would drive back there as it does seem some brands are better regionally.
Vehicle and conditions also vary along with weather temps and that makes a big difference IMO.

Company 3/4 Dodge service and sales trucks came with Michelin's and unless you "cut one", service trucks went 45 - 50K and I easily went 70K+ with both the Cummins and HEMI 2WD units, mostly highway.
Service trucks saw much more dirt roads but anything we put on them for a different brand just did not hold up to the HD E Rated tires they came with.
Cummins was able to spin on wet hot roads when kicked into passing gear when empty as I learned but those HD tires would carry some weight.
Fast forward to 07 2500HD GMC 2WD cab & 1/2 short bed I bought for the farm that I put a CM bed on and PO said Firestone MaxForce A/T's were nearly new when I bought it with 135K on it. Now has 200K on it and they are wearing like iron, likely to surpass the Michelin's I used to run. 
I check pressures and watch them closely running them accordingly. Just hauled hay and adjusted the rears accordingly prior, let em' back down the following day and about time to rotate em' again.
Michelin'swere running 240.00 mounted last I checked, have yet to price new Firestone's and hope they are still available as I will go with them as the GMC likes em'.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 11:32am
We're still good, believe it or not, here in NY from October 16 - April 30. My wife's Lincoln is - well, let's just say it's built for comfort IN THE SUMMERTIME. All 4 studded snows. Makes a tremendous difference - "night and day" would be a major understatement lol
Just need to make sure they're off by the end of April, but we almost ALWAYS (all but 8 of the past 61) get snow in May, as late as the 30th; generally not a problem but many years it's bad enough to need snows. One year, 21" on - I think - the 18th of May back in the early 70s. So, that April 30th makes it a problem for studded snows. All our other vehicles just plain good snows, don't have to worry about taking them off.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 4:41pm
Studs good Nov. 1 thru March 30 in Iowa. This ol 2x4 pickup, no posi, needs all the help it can get in the winter time. I did not realize there were so many states that outlawed them. The only 1 I knew of was Minnesota. With the new style ice and snow tires I'm not sure they are needed. The new style snow tires are useless in the mud. Old pickup only has 260000 miles on it. I'll probably get another 1 to match the RR tire and run it another 100000 before I give it to one of the boys or grandsons.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 7:38pm
Jeeeeeeeze Tom, they've been outlawed here in Wisconsin for a LONG time.....BUT

Such tires may be used only on authorized emergency vehicles, school buses, vehicles used to deliver mail and automobiles with out-of-state registrations and then only if such automobile is in the course of passing through this state for a period of not more than 30 days.

So if you're coming over here for anything, you can have em.  Just say you're passing through..
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:09pm
Joe...I tried several times to get on here and kept getting the message saying this site was unsecure, and to get out immediately...which I did...so I was trying to get on
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:14pm
i'm running KUMHO mud and snow tires on both my trucks, they wear well and are good in snow and mud...but are horrible on gravel roads. they seem to let the vehicle wonder when on gravel roads. we got new tires (mud and snow) on the old lady's...oooops...I mean the loving wife's burb, they are GREAT. i'll hafta go see the name on them and let ya'll know what they are, they grip real well on slick roads, and have good water slots on them too. and they really improved the ride a lot too.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:46am
Whenever I went to the NE in the winter, even with new Michelin's, pulled out the big truck inner tube sections I filled with sand from under the work bench. Playground sand from a box store and made em' not too big so easy to handle.
With a couple big suitcase wts. up under the bed toolbox in each bed corner, two of those "sand bags" up against the front of that bed as far as i could get them in each corner and that gal would eat some snow for a 2WD 3/4.
Key was keeping the wt. as far forward in the bed so it did not effect steering and with 5-600# the ol' Dodge's road prettydarn good.
Company trucks but purchased my own fuel on those trips and slight reduction in mileage was well worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic