This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perkins preheater...how does it work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perkins preheater...how does it work?
    Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 2:11pm
I pulled the hood off of my 170 that I am parting out and noticed a wire going from the ignition switch to a plug on the air  intake manifold...then I see a flex line going from the plug to a T in the fuel return line at the filter.  I think fuel is supposed to be fed thru the line and ignited in the air intake as a preheater??  What feeds the fuel thru the line?  I'd like to try it out and see if it works. Also what keeps it from feeding fuel thru the line when the tractor is running?  I don't see any valve in the line. I see my other tractors just have a plug in the manifold....was it an option from Allis or did someone get the idea from somewhere else?
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Sponsored Links

BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 2:32pm
We had a MF 50 with one of those preheaters when I was growing up.  As I recall, they consist of a coil of resistance wire that heats up and opens a thermostatic valve, allowing fuel to drip on the coil and ignite. If I remember correctly, we would turn the key to the preheat position, and wait for a "puff" sound from the intake before turning to start. In colder weather, we might hold it in the heat position a little longer. Ours was burned out when we got the tractor, and I remember that a new one made a huge difference in how the tractor started. When everything was right, that tractor would start down to -10F without being plugged in.  I still think that is pretty impressive.  I have since seen them on other tractors, mostly MF, but I believe they were also used on Fords and others.  I'm pretty sure that they were an option on JD utility tractors in the '80's.
Dave Everett View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 4:50pm
ENGLISH MAGIC     !!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:53pm
We have a Fordson Dexta that is extremely hard to start in cold weather. I recall something in the intake. How would I check it to see if it's working? Thanks
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Scott(SC) Scott(SC) wrote:

We have a Fordson Dexta that is extremely hard to start in cold weather. I recall something in the intake. How would I check it to see if it's working? Thanks
Hit the switch, and point a laser thermometer at the manifold.  If no upward increase is noted, something is wrong.
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 6:47pm

As Dave notes, the manifold should become quite warm if the heater is working.  There are lots of new ones available on Ebay between $19.95 and $25.00.  Search for manifold heater...  Here's a picture I found:

Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 6:47pm
I don't have a lazer thermometer. I could run a voltage test on the wire. Would an ohms test from the terminal to ground test the glowplug?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 6:53pm
You could also use the back of your hand, it ain't no laser thermometer but you might get it greasy!
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 7:05pm

Did all perkins come with this or is it a add on. Had it on 615 but it wasn't hooked up. Now that I understand it, I sould have spent a little time making it work

Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 7:06pm
Dave, I might at that . Does grease come off?
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 9:27pm
I tried it turning the key all the way  clockwise.....the ammeter goes to discharge but nothing happened as far as I could see, hear or feel.....maybe it's burnt out.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 5:18am
Other possibilities, to test/consider are loose connections, bad ground(s), or a bad ignition switch or preheat switch, depending on how its wired.
David KY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 7:44am
My 170 has the preheater. It was an option  for the Perkins engine. Hold the key to the right to activate and look for a puff of smoke from the muffler. Works very well  in cold weather. After 37 years of use I had to replace the preheater a month or so ago. Purchased the new unit from Walt's Tractor in Mexico , Missouri. Cost about $ 40 including shipping cost.
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 8:01am
Is this the same kind of heater that would be on our 7000? The far right key position says heater and when you turn it to it you can what sounds like a contact closing.
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 8:38am
7000, and most all AC engines used a heater only, no fuel to it. the "mini blow torch" style was mainly used by Perkins (MF), and Ford. It was an english design, made by CAV, or Lucas, and was used along with lucas DPA fuel pumps. Pump housing pressure feeds the fire while you are cranking the engine over. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic