This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overhead lube on Allis B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overhead lube on Allis B
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:16pm
About two years ago I purchased a 48 B with the intention of restoration.  I had never owned an Allis and knew nothing about them except the wide front wheels took my eye.  It had been sitting, exposed to the elements, beneath trees and shrub for many years, but I thought I could probably get it going again.  I have gotten it to run again.  My problem though is my lack of knowledge about the lube system.  I have learned that it gets the OH oil through the side of the block delivered by way of a 1/8 inch copper tube.  My question is this:  Can I put a "tee" joint on the existing 1/8" pipe going to the mag, and run another 1/8" pipe up to the entry point into the head where it will go into the rack.  I know that I can do it but my worry is that there will not be enough oil going to the rack assy.  

I don't know if this is the recommended method because I had no clues through existing tubing or connections to the block when I started.  I have been flying by the seat of my pants on this one but have enjoyed the advice of others on forums such as this.  any advice would b appreciated.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 5:11pm
why do you need another feed line ?  How about remove / clean / test the old line and get it going...lot of things inside the valve cover / head need proper lube.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
hap View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:16pm
This is not an extra feed line.  It is the ONLY feed line giving oil overhead.  I initially thought the oil path was through the head but not so.  I removed the grooved stud, shot air into it thinking I may hear something in the sump, but the air came out the side of the block.  I ran a wire down the stud hole thinking it may go into the sump, but it stopped about two inches in.

Giving this more thought, I believe I can splice a "Tee" joint on the mag line and connect the "Tee" to the feeder in the side of the block.  That would give just the single line.  Could this be the original method?

When I initially got this machine, it had no lines, connections, or anything that may give me a clue as to the oil path.  The only line I had, and that was on an old "C" that I bought for spare parts, was the mag oil line.  I then used this as a "template" to get oil to mag, and this was a one-piece tube with no splices.  I'm still concerned about the amount of oil that would bleed off this line into the overhead system.

Edited by hap - 04 Dec 2018 at 7:44pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:14pm
The oil pump is on the back end of the motor, inside the bell housing. The 1/4 inch black pipe coming out of the top toward the filter is the discharge. You have a TEE that directs oil to the BYPASS filter ( then dumps to sump) and the other side goes UP to the head.... at the head there is another TEE and it feeds the head and then down to the mag.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:21pm
the line going to the head is important... valve train lube.  The line going to the mag is not as important. Some early models had NO LINE to the mag. Its a good idea, but not a necessity.

The oil pump shoves oil down a hollow cam shaft. The shaft has holes by each piston / rod assembly. Oil is "spray lubed" onto the bottom of the piston and the wrist pins. There is an oil port from the cam shaft into the main bearing areas... The oil you use is NOT FILTERED first. The OUTSIDE line feeds about 15% of the pump oil to the filter. This is filtered, then dumped back to the sump. You are using about 85% of the pump capacity for lube.. If the filter is bad or the internal tube falls apart, you will WASTE more oil thru the filter and have less available for bearing / cam / valve train lube.
hap View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 6:12am
Steve, your pic has saved my day.  After our first conversation, and giving it some thought, I pictured this set-up when you questioned why I needed another line.  For some reason, I had the oil line traveling across the back of the engine and up the left side to the mag.  Thanks for finishing this puzzle.  The little B will run by this evening.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic