This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Out mowing with the AC 160 (leaky seal?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out mowing with the AC 160 (leaky seal?)
    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 12:20pm
Got the AC 160 mower out yesterday now that the ditch is somewhat drier here in IL. But man, I am getting a lot of oil leaking onto the deck from the gearbox... Any idea if I can replace the seals on this thing or what to do (or is corn head grease the way to go)?

It does a good job cutting -- but still ran into some mud!

Spent a good... hour out there down in the valley. Hit a log the size of my leg that had fallen in the winter; thankfully the rattle clutch still works good. Will have to get down there with the other tractor and chainsaw and move a few more downed trees.
Sponsored Links

TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:16pm
That front is known to leak as they get older and I changed mine a few years ago, any bearing seal house should be able to set you up and I ran 80/90 along with good grease for a couple years before changing my front seal. Front cover and driveline may look daunting but it comes apart quickly, just watch that no parts go flying when you remove the ratchet assy. portion and leave the large tension nut where it is currently if it's been operating ok.
Bottom seal on mine has never leaked and good to give that lower seal a shot of grease, seem to recall zirk fitting is at base towards rear.
FYI, good to check the breather fitting can breathe freely on that gear box as they will push oil out the front seal if plugged off. Mine was when I bought it and leak slowed at front seal after cleaning the vent fitting.
Nice mower, mine is the 3-pt. version and one tough old gal.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 3:36pm
Yeah I'll take some better pics of the leaks next time I am out. Does the housing just unbolt to get to the seals?

Fantastic mower. Does an amazing job, even with the blade being trashed on it for years now. Plenty of mower for the WD!

Also.... There's a vent/breather on this thing? Where would I look for that?

Edited by garden_guy - 16 Jun 2020 at 3:37pm
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 3:53pm
You will never get it to stop leaking. The seal runs on the od of the splined drive line. The part that drives the gearbox from PTO.Got mine apart right now. The oil will seep between the splined shaft and the internal splined drive of over running clutch. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 4:43pm
Is the reason for that just due to excessive wear inside after all this time? I don't remember it leaking this bad 15 years ago, and I'm good about keeping the oil fresh and filled.
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 4:46pm
There Should Be a O Ring Between The Over Running Jaw And The Brg
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:17pm
Also, make sure that the breather plug, on one side of the gearbox, is still breathing.  If not, oil heats up, pressurizes, and leaks past seal...Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:12pm
Hmmm seems like I have just "plugs" on both the "fill hole" (that is basically a 90 degree pipe elbow that faces up?), and the side hole which I have always assumed is the "level plug", for how I've always filled it. Don't see a vent in either, unless I am missing something.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 4:53am
Plug in the elbow should have a vent in it.Wink

Best ones have a sintered bronze insert, that lets air in, but not dirt.  I've seen home made ones, where a hole is drilled upward, from the bottom of the plug, then another hole is drilled on the side of the plug, to meet the other hole.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Best ones have a sintered bronze insert, that lets air in, but not dirt.  I've seen home made ones, where a hole is drilled upward, from the bottom of the plug, then another hole is drilled on the side of the plug, to meet the other hole.

Thank you for this! I am going to order one and see if this helps me out.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Thank you for this! I am going to order one and see if this helps me out.

Check the size, on your plug, before ordering, the link was an example, only...Shocked
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:04pm
No worries -- that's my plan, haha! ;)
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 2:35pm
I never knew that was supposed to be a breather plug in the 90 degree elbow pipe fitting.  Did you figure out what size it is?  I should get one of those bronze breathers too.  This has been an informative learning post.  I checked, and my 5 foot snap coupler shredder appears to have some sort of breather plug on it which I think I should replace with the bronze type as shown in the surplus center site.  Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm
Found that zirk Tim mentioned.  Had never put any grease in there before.  Hope I am preventing a problem.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 11:42pm
Something had to have gotten plugged up somewhere, I just need to figure out where. There must have used to be a breather hole that is now plugged? Check the oil on my deck:

Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 8:41am
I looked at the plug on the 90 degree elbow on mine and it sure looks factory without any breather.  Don't see where there would have been a breather on the gear box when it came out from the factory.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 11:12am
Going to take some pictures today to post later. Measured the plug and it sure does seem like 3/8 NPT, at least.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Dave (NE) Dave (NE) wrote:

I looked at the plug on the 90 degree elbow on mine and it sure looks factory without any breather.  Don't see where there would have been a breather on the gear box when it came out from the factory.

I may have been mistaken on the location, and My memory aint the best, it could have the breather on the top, too...Wink
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 5:15pm
On the top?  I'll have to go out and check again before going and just buying a breather plug, I guess.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 11:15pm
Here's some photos, if anyone wants to point out where they think a breather may already be...

Starting with the "filler" plug side:

Top shot:

Bottom shot:

Drain plug side:

And lastly, one of the rear:

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:13pm
I went ahead and ordered the 3/8 NPT breather plug, and figure I may as well fill her up and try it. Unless another breather port seems apparent that is plugged or that I missed?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:22pm
I did notice one more thing...  That grease fitting is on the top, on yours, on mine, its on the bottom.  I suspect someone has rotated that rear flange 180ยบ...Wink
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:36pm
It, the grease fitting, is on the bottom on mine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:41pm
So I think the little circle above the center in the back of the gearbox is the "breather" vent, but I could not get it to pop for me at all. I soaked it down with PB Blaster tonight. Will check it again this weekend, and if nothing else, will soak it again. Maybe it rusted up?
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:58am
not sure about that.  Isn't that about the height of the fill to plug on the side?  seems like the breather plug should be higher than that.  I will look again, too, at mine.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:42am
The relief fitting as manual calls it is part # 916619. It is in center of top two bolts holes in pics in my manual.Grease fitting for cutter shaft is at bottom. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 10:21am
oh, I saw that there but didn't realize it was supposed to be a breather plug, as it is pretty much all rusted over on mine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 12:06pm
I forgot to double check my manual. I'll do that this weekend when I get back over to the tractors. Assuming it's a standard thread and pressure setting? Or else I can just put a breather in the filler neck to the same effect?
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:57pm
Well, it wasn't rusted over but just had grease on it.  Yes, it is some sort of breather, so makes sense where it is located.  Also looked on my 5' snap coupler shredder and found a breather now that I know more of what I'm looking for.  So, the consensus is that these breather plugs should be replaced by the bronze breather plugs from surplus center?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:30am
Hmmm I see places like Fastenal sell a 1/8" NPT dynaflow "relief fitting"... It looks a lot like the thing that is already in there.

Anybody know if 1-5 PSI would be about correct? Tempted to see if I can swap the one already in there... Or if anyone else has put a breather in the filler port.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic