This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our club gets a grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our club gets a grader
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:19am
Back a few months ago our club VP found this grader and got together with our President to hold an emergency executive meeting to make the purchase, for next to nothing. I was asked to get it running and operational. Due to having three pulls early this year, I only found time to got bring it back to my place to get it going.  It is and early model with the 201 WD engine. The motor turns over, it needs to be re-wired, re-tired and have all the hydraulic hosed replace. Then it should be good to go. 

Edited by PaulB - 19 May 2019 at 8:19am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:53am
Oughta work out good for that
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:55am
   Hi.   The 'D' grader will be a perfect fit for your track. I saw a YT. video of a D grader doing the ground work for an indoor pull event in Texas (I think).
   The 201 engine was used until 1953.
   What is your serial number?
   Does it have the auxiliary transmission which can drop the road speed by 66 percent while maintaining your RPM's?
   I noticed, when we were at the Flywheelers show in FL. this past Feb., that Jack Gustafson's D grader was being repaired for the Flywheelers needs. Its been there for a lot of years.
   Enjoy your D grader. I am sure it will do a great job.
   Can you please send more pictures of it?

Ross.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:57pm
Update!!!
 I now have had it running. to start with it didn't sound all that good due to a burned out manifold, now with another one is sounds much better.  The motor has great oil pressure and no unwanted knocks or other undesirable noises. Initially there was a problem in the governor and it only ran wide open. Not being as well versed with the bigger engines as I am with the little ones, that took a little bit to find out that things were not only misadjusted, but there was interference with the arm that had been made to hold the alternator over to keep the fan belt tight. Now with thing properly adjusted and relocating the tensioner arm everything with the governor works as it should. while there, I found that the waterpump bearing was shot, even though it wasn't leaking.
   Now onto replacing hoses, rewiring and  changing tires. Then I can get it off the trailer and start playing with it. 

This machine only has the standard 4 speed. I have no idea of where to find the machine's serial number.  The engine serial number confirms that it has the 201 CID engine. 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:33pm
Wow sounds like quite a project ,, but will be worth it
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:57am
Hi.   
   Glad you got it running.
   The machine serial number is on an aluminum plate that should be located on the R H side of the stand/sit platform entrance sill. It is normally held on with four rivets.

This is the grader that works the Shreveport, TX. tractor pulls. Ross.

Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 4:16pm
Hi.

I got back to the shop about mid afternoon. I took a picture with my Serial #, displayed at the proper location. I had the alum. plate stored in the filing cabinet; so, I placed it the proper location and held it in place with a couple of temporary nails so I could get this picture.

If the grader has the aux. transmission, the shifter is located at the front L H side of the seat cushion, and you pull it up to go into Hi range and push it downwards to go into Lo range. This shift does a 66% change. What a valuable accessory.    Ross.

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:39am
Our grader probably hasn’t had a serial plate for decades. The engine serial may help in determining it’s age as well as finding a 1949 date on one of the rims.
I now have the grader rewired and the charging system is working. Now I need to get a tire and the hydraulic lines replaced to get it down off the trailer so I can check everything else out.
Question: what is the shift pattern? I know where reverse most likely is due to the micro switch to activate the Back-up alarm. Mainly which position is 1st, so I know where to go when I can unload it.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 6:44am
I am quite familiar with the D grader used to build the Track at Shreveport antique tractor pull.  Cotton the owner had his work cut out for him and the D the year it rained 3 inches 2 days before the Friday/ Saturday pull. I believe the mud half way up on the tires in the photo was from that year.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:37am
   Good morning.
   The first graders (1949) had a mechanical swivel for the blade. You had to pull on a cord (or light chain) in order to unlatch the swivel lock. You would then maneuver the outer part of the blade by digging it downward into the soil as you drove forward or reverse to make the blade swivel. Then, when it was in position, you would reengage the swivel lock. (Quite primitive). In the early 50's, A C added the hydraulic rotation mechanism.

I can not see the picture clear enough to tell which swivel mechanism is on yours.

Be sure that your rear tires are all the same size. Because of the drive mechanism, all four rear wheels must be the same size.

Here is the shift pattern:

Yesterday, I also found a Y Tube video of the D Grader working the pull grounds in Texas. Good clear video. I have not figured out how to find it again.

Ross.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:52pm
Ross
     If the video of the D at work is in a rodeo arena it would be at our clubs April Show and Pull in Henderson Texas.   Hope you can find it again and post it here.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:46am
That ‘s a great picture of the shift pattern. Our grader must be one of the very early ones as it has the mechanical lock pins for the blade angle.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 3:13pm

In late 1953, A C added hydraulic control to:   leaning front wheels
, blade circling, and shiftable blade (moldboard).

Ross.                                          
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 3:33pm
Is this the Shreveport video

[TUBE]rJACRUfTnFo[/TUBE]
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:21pm

Hi.
   Yes, this is the video that I was referring to. Thank you.
   You will notice the latch mechanism that allows the blade to swivel. This grader also has the leaning front wheels. In late 1053, the tire size also increased.
   Who has more fun than a 'D' Grader operator?
   This grader has certainly had a real nice restoration. Looks good.
   Ross.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:02pm
The above Video was shot at the East Texas Antique Tractor and Engine Show held annually in April at The Rusk County Expo Center. The pull is a 2 day rain or shine event in the Expo Arena. The lucky D Grader operator is Richard Sanders.  The Club puts on a another 2 day pull at the Louisiana State Fair , Shreveport in October.  The same D is used at Shreveport to build the track. 
The D Owners name is Cotton. His last name IS ??? He lives in NW LA close to Shreveport.    Cotton's dream is to show his D at a future GOTO if one gets closer to Louisiana than they have been lately.

I should have known this but being bad with names I sometimes get things half right. The Owner/Restorer of the D used to Build and Maintain pulling tracks in Louisiana and Texas is DAN COTTON

Edited by Ken in Texas - 16 Jun 2019 at 7:57pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:28pm
Thanks to all that have helped me with getting things needed fixed. The parts book link was a great help. Our clubs grader is now fully functioning. Although now I need to pull the valve cover to see if it has a jumped pushrod or a broken rocker arm. If not, then it may be a bit more serious, such as a burn valve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic