This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OT 3/8" cordless drill?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT 3/8" cordless drill?
    Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 5:08pm
Time to buy a new 3/8" cordless drill, who currently makes the best?  Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 7:05pm
Still like my DeWalt drills , have 3 of them now. one hammer-drill and 1/2 and a 3/8 .
Do have a Riobi but never seem to use it.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 7:12pm
 MILWAUKEE IS THE BEST ALSOTHE HIGHEST PRICE
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 7:14pm
the new Makita's are pretty nice
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:10pm
Any money is too much for a DeJunk in my experience.  I have the Makita 18V lithium ion and love them!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 9:24pm
I have had all kinds over the years but have settled on 18V DeWalt.  
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:01pm
Got two 12 volts and one 14.4 volt DeWalt.  They work great for me.  If price matters get the older NiCad units as the new Lithium is about $100 more.   If I made my living with one then I'd spring for the lithium units. 
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:11pm
I have standardized on the 19.2 volt Craftsman tools. Circular saw, recip saw, light, and 3/8 adn 1/2 inch drills. Price is very reasonalbe and i have no trouble for home use. I use them 3-4 times a week, not 8 hr days as a contractor. Spare batteries are cheap also.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:16pm
Can't find much I like in  the 3/8", thinking of going with the Milwaukee 1/2" M18.  This place has the drill, driver, case, batteries and charger for $219.99  Looks like a deal to me.

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-1517-milwaukee-m18-2-tool-combo-kit-2691-22-compact.aspx

Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 7:57pm

Got my new set today, nice!

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:07pm
I've got a 14.4 volt Dewalt and an 18 volt 1/2 " Dewalt. They have been in daily use in my shop for a few years now. The 14.4 volt chuck is getting a little worn now but it's been going for 10 years. Never had any trouble at all with them.
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:13pm
I have a Milwaukee cordless drill that I've had for years, and I've been happy with it. I have bought new batteries for it, but it is 15 years old or there about. I don't think you could go wrong with the set you posted.

I bought a Ridgid set several years ago, but I really bought the set for the cordless sawzall. The Ridgid set has been good too, but I don't have the hours on them that I have on the Milwaukee tools.
Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:15pm
As you can see one man's junk is another man's "I would buy another"
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:20pm
My last one was a Makita 12V, it was a nice drill and still worked good until the batteries were shot.  I didn't want to spend $80.00 on batteries so I threw it away.  Throwing it away hurt but the batteries cost a good portion of the two tools I just bought, what are you to do?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:23pm
Speaking of junk, I'm sure my Black & Decker is but so far it's been good for what I use it for. Had it since 2004. Bought another lately cause I needed batteries and I just bought the set with drill, sander, reciprocating saw and dust vac. The saw you can toss. It's all junk made in China anyway. Is there any cordless drill made here?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:25pm
I have found the cordless 1/4" impact drivers to be at least as handy as a good cordless drill.  They are really great when you're working on an All Crop!  My 40 was reassembled with a DeWalt impact, and it saved me an awful lot of time.  With the right adapters, I used it to tighten and remove everything from 1/4" stove bolts to 1/2" bolts.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:27pm
My brother in law was just telling me he bought a set like that and had the same opinion about the saw as you, then he upgraded to the lithium battery and the saws then had power don't know if it's worth it to you or not but might want to try that.
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:55pm
  Hello Claus!!    Something to think about,   If you arn't going to buy another portable saw,sander grinder impack etc, then most of the drills are OK,    BUT if you might buy another portable tool I would recommend the same size/brand battery for interchangeability, IE 18volt Dewalt has all kinds of tools that use the same batteries.   Good Luck  Allen
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I have standardized on the 19.2 volt Craftsman tools. Circular saw, recip saw, light, and 3/8 adn 1/2 inch drills. Price is very reasonalbe and i have no trouble for home use. I use them 3-4 times a week, not 8 hr days as a contractor. Spare batteries are cheap also.

How can you standardize on something the industry continues to change? It seems like  every 2 to 3 years they come out with a different voltage.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave King View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 11:27pm
I really like the bosch I have, but dewalt has been better than just about anyone at keeping their batteries interchangeable (you can use a new lith-ion battery in a tool that came out with an old ni-cad)  pretty well everyone else changes designs so the new ones don't fit in the old tools, and batteries for old tools get impossible to find even though the voltage stays the same.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:38am
This is where I get my replacement battries, they are about 1/2 the price as compared the the store price.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 9:45am
Anyone been using the lithium units for a few years?  I ask because I have read that the Lithium batteries are much better than Nicad batteries as far as lasting longer on each charge and supplying more current but will die a quick death after about 2 years of use and will have to be replaced?  Just what I read somewhere.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 10:02am
Someone ( Rigid ??) offers free lifetime battery replacement. Let's face it , the batteries are the weakest link in cordless drills,etc.
There'll never be a 'standard' common battery pack, cause there's no money in it for the vendors.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 2:56pm
Found it.  Looks like Rockwell has the lifetime battery warranty.

1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 3:05pm

I don't know about Ridgid having a lifetime battery replacement, but I did get a replacement battery for one that did not charge correctly. It was fairly quickly after the initial purchase though.

Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic