This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AaronH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on tires
    Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 10:42am
I would like to go with some 20.8-38s on my 210. It is just a farm tractor puller, but right now i have a pair of 18.4 armstrongs on it. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:04pm
Just mounting 20.8's on your existing 16 inch wide rims probably won't do you any good at all. If you choose to widen your rims, make them 20 inches instead of 18 inches wide.
kurtnwIL View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurtnwIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:20pm
I tried our 7060 with 20.8s and at 15000lbs just couldnt get it to hook up. Have since went to 18.4r42s but it was drizling this year so i cant come to a good conclution. My brother tried his 220 with about the same results on  18.4r38s. Look back trough old posts to one about a class called to hot to farm. The ACs there are just awsome.

AaronH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:18pm
so... I should look for a set of 20's, and mount them on 20 in wide rims and flatten out the tire footprint?
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 3:07am
Thats the best, get all you can out of your tire
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 12:21pm
18" wide rims will be ok, but make sure you get a set of RADIAL tires. Around here, BFG powersavers are best, with 23* Firestones being a close second!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 6:09pm
Same thing around here. BFG radials. 20.8
AS185 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AS185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 12:20am
1/2" to 5/8" lug no more you will pile up to much dirt. On a radial tire start at 10-12 p.s.i. when you pull away from the sled look at your tire ruts. You will see how much of the tread is making contact. 23 degree firestone radials work the best for me. They have more lugs than bf's do. The lugs are closer together which will help. If you can't "Sharpen or cut your tires. Put them on backwards, and spin them on concrete.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:57am
I use a 7 inch variable grinder with a 24 grit disc. Make sure you see the rubber chunk off. If it starts burning it will plug the disc. Definitely firestones good luck !!
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
SuperM74 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperM74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:08pm
My boss and i used to pull a 1466 in the Hot Farm class in central Ky. 470 CI, 2.5 in 3 out smoke chopper, 13 Mil rotary, at 3000 RPM. The best tire we found for this area was GoodYear DT710 20.8 on 20 inch rims that were streched 2 inches. We tried bias field and roads, BFG Power Savers, and 23 radials. The DT710 worked best for us. We wasn't allowed cut tires either. Hope that helps you.
You can't make chicken salad, outta chicken sh*t! Proof's in the pudding!
jakeliu View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 1:41am
BFG powersavers are best, with 23* Firestones being a close second!
jakeliu View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 1:41am
Definitely firestones good luck !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic