This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Onan engines question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Onan engines question?
    Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:18pm
What differences is it in an Onan  CCKA,CCKB generator engine and an Onan  CCKA, CCKB tractor engine that causes the difference in RPMS 1800 versus the 3600? What internals must be swapped? Any help appreciated. Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

M.A.C.K. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.A.C.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 4:03pm
don't hold me to this but there is probably no difference at all, the generator is limited due to the generator head can't turn but so hard. if anything is different it's probably the carb tuning and the governor setup.

just my two cents

Mid Atlantic Customs and Klassics
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 5:36am
Thought all generators had tapered crankshaft ?
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 7:46am
I will swap out my crankshaft. I thought the cam and governor would be different to gain the RPM's. Rods will swap too. This is what I was mainly concerned with. I need to know about cam ,governor, and timing gears? Tracy
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 7:53am
Guess I didn't know they were differant, I haven't made it far enough with my swap to drive anything with it.
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

I will swap out my crankshaft. I thought the cam and governor would be different to gain the RPM's. Rods will swap too. This is what I was mainly concerned with. I need to know about cam ,governor, and timing gears? Tracy

The generator engine as you already know uses a shirt stubby crankshaft, some guys will turn the tapered shaft down then cut a key-way to accept a Lovejoy coupler. Machining can be done with out disassembling the engine if you have a large metal lathe.

Generator 1800 rpm engine uses ten ball bearings in the governor remove the small spring clip to gain access then remove five of the bearings to obtain 3600 rpm.

When reassembling the timing cover make sure the hole on the timing gear with the plastic insert is located in the 3:00 o'clock position. The pin on the timing cover must insert into this hole.

Get the pin location wrong the governor will not work.

Crankshaft end play tolerances  min/max .006 / 012

I've just completed the same parts swap.

Edited by rustydollar - 09 Aug 2017 at 2:53am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by rustydollar rustydollar wrote:

The generator engine as you already know uses a shirt stubby crankshaft, some guys will turn the tapered shaft down then cut a key-way to accept a Lovejoy coupler. Machining can be done with out disassembling the engine if you have a large metal lathe.

Generator 3600 rpm engine uses ten ball bearings in the governor remove the small spring clip to gain access then remove five of the bearings to obtain 1800 rpm.

When reassembling the timing cover make sure the hole on the timing gear with the plastic insert is located in the 3:00 o'clock position. The pin on the timing cover must insert into this hole.

Get the pin location wrong the governor will not work.

Crankshaft end play tolerances  min/max .006 / 012

I've just completed the same parts swap.
I thought 5 balls was 3600 and 10 balls was 1800.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 2:32am

I thought 5 balls was 3600 and 10 balls was 1800.

The slower running 1800 rpm generator engine requires more mass to facilitate the centrifugal forces required to operate the governor.

Centrifugal Governors :

In centrifugal governors, multiple masses know as governor balls, are responsible to revolve about the axis of a shaft, which is driven through suitable gearing from the engine crankshaft. Each ball is acted upon by a force which acts in the radially inward direction and is provided by dead weight, a spring or a combination of two. This force is commonly called as the controlling force and it will increase as the distance of the ball from the axis of rotation increases. The inward or outward movement of the ball is transmitted by the governor mechanism to the valve which controls the amount of energy supplied to the engine.

Inertia Governor :

In inertia governors, the balls are arranged in manner that the inertia forces caused by angular acceleration or retardation of the governor shaft tend to change their position. The obvious advantage of inertia governor lies in its rapid response to the effect of a change of load. This advantage is small, however by the practical difficulty of arranging for the complete balance of the revolving parts of the governor. For this reason Centrifugal governors are preferred over the inertia governors.

The governor on the right hand side still installed in generator engine has ten balls, one on the left is from tractor engine.

Edited by rustydollar - 09 Aug 2017 at 2:50am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 2:46am
Tracy if your donor engine has the solid one piece main bearings, it would be my advice to change this to the two piece bearing which has the separate thrust bearing.

The one piece bearings have a high failure rate.

This is the bearing set used to replace the one piece shown below this image. Onan has shims available to adjust crankshaft end play. I discarded the plastic ones staying with metal shims.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:29pm
The camshaft from the generator engine  are identical with the exception the lobe that operates the mechanical fuel pump may not have been profiled and ground as the gen sets use an electric fuel pump.

The valve lifter on he right hand side is new style, I installed the old style as it looks like it may have better oil retention and distribution
 in the bore.

Tool that I made to remove the main bearings.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:35pm
If your mechanical fuel pump fails on you this is an easy modification that is much more economical than replacing the pump with an OEM from Onan.

I did this modification on a Briggs engine that did not have a fuel pump, drilled a hole into the side of the oil filler tube then brazed a hose bib in place. The hose once installed provided the crankcase pulsations needed to operate the fuel pump.

You could make a plate to cover the hole from which the original onan fuel pump was installed then install your hose barb into this plate.

You can easily install this type of fuel pump on any engine.

Edited by rustydollar - 09 Aug 2017 at 8:40pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:50pm
Generator engine having the tapper turned down to accept love joy coupler to drive a hydraulic pump.

Not my engine.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:56pm
Electrolysis on main bearing,  the fellow from whom I had purchased this generator from had a company that specialized in air sampling. He had the engine rebuilt as a spare, had zero hours on the fresh rebuilt.

You can see the bearing deterioration from electrolysis from sitting idle all those years in storage.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:01pm
Old style versus new in cylinder heads, the new style has more cooling fins with more surface area also the spark plug has been relocated.

I'm using the new style shown on the left.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:05pm
You may find one of the two types of spark plugs installed in your Onan engine, I went with the protruded electrode.

You may find that the spark plug with the protruded electrode is rather difficult to find, I had to request our local NAPA to order it in. Called yesterday and the plugs were here this afternoon.

Edited by rustydollar - 09 Aug 2017 at 9:08pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:26pm
This may give you some ideas on how to re-purpose a generator engine. The armature shaft is easily removed using a hydraulic press, the center hole is drilled right through so the shaft maybe cut down in length.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by rustydollar rustydollar wrote:

Generator engine having the tapper turned down to accept love joy coupler to drive a hydraulic pump.

Not my engine.

I like the advice on the Onans. Keep it coming. Learn something new everyday! Tracy
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:33pm
Your generator engine may not have an oil filter but you'll find that the base has been machined into the engine block to accept the filter.

You just need to drill a few holes then thread two to hold the filter adapter in place. Or you could install a remote filter.

Hopefully Tracy will add to this thread once he has started his engine rebuild from donor parts, in the meantime I have an engine to complete and install into my Simplicity Powermax 9020.

Let there be fire, tomorrow is engine start up day. This will be a bench run.

Edited by rustydollar - 09 Aug 2017 at 9:34pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:14pm
A lot of the parts from the aluminum Onan interchange with the cast iron CCK family.

Couple of things that I would like to mention, if the throttle shaft on your carburetor is worn your engine will have poor idling characteristics with deteriorated high end performance. An easy fix is to purchase a bushing kit.

A worn piston can be brought back to specks by having it knurled, this was a procedure favored by hot rod racers back in the day. It;s believed that knurling helps to retain oil which in turn  better lubricates the cylinders.

Most engine shops offer the service.

[TUBE]4uzZYPIGbZE[/TUBE]

Edited by rustydollar - 09 Aug 2017 at 11:56pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:30am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 11:48pm
Tracy one more thing, if your using a chrome top ring, your probably better off having an engine re-builder hone the cylinders for you.

The final grit used is 400, then if you have trouble with your rings not seating you can use Bon ami powder to assist with break in.

Some guys use the break in powder right from the get.

Caterpillar Part No.7F5225 Break-in Powder ( Bon Ami ).

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 12:49am
Tuesday another road adventure, according to google maps 3.5 hours from home.

I'll be off to purchase another CCK Onan engine that was removed from a Simplicity Powermax 9020, previous owner did a re-power with a newer Vanguard engine.

I feel like I'm keeping a personal diary, keeping personal notes to self for future reference. The forum has proven to be a very lonely place.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 12:58pm
Rusty, you help and advice is greatly appreciated. Most folks take for granted the time and effort to post and answer questions, especially when it comes to pics. Thanks  Tracy
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 10:36pm

Rusty, you help and advice is greatly appreciated. Most folks take for granted the time and effort to post and answer questions, especially when it comes to pics. Thanks  Tracy

Your welcome Tracy, where are you at with your parts swap.

The generator engines with cast iron blocks will be identified on the engine tag  as 40CCK and 50CCK.

I left home at 9:00 am to pick up another Onan engine, a full 12 hour trip. This engine has the heat shield and the air filter that I'm missing from mine. Plus I got the front PTO clutch magnet the rest is toast,  still no muffler, maybe eBay.

This engine ran when the guy pulled it out of the Simplicity 9020, said it ran rough. I may have found the cause the throttle shaft bushing on the carburetor is badly worn and the friction disks on the electric clutch are toast.

I think he may have had difficulty finding a new clutch and this was perhaps the main reason he swapped the engine out for a Vanguard.

Most people make the mistake of engaging the clutch with to many engine RPMs, should always idle the engine down before engaging.

The implement your trying to run will be stiff from sitting idle for a week or so and will probably stall the engine a couple of times before the mechanicals are freed up enough for the idling engine to overcome.

Patients pays off in spades , when your getting three times the life span from your electric clutch over that of your neighbor.

Edited by rustydollar - 13 Aug 2017 at 10:38pm
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:12am
Gill, thanks for all the details, I have one needing rings in near future
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:22am
Thanks for info. It is appreciated. Tracy
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by ac720nut ac720nut wrote:

Gill, thanks for all the details, I have one needing rings in near future

I gather your going to rebuild the engine from an AC 720, which is very similar to my 9020.

Some of the difficult things I encountered where installing one of the engine mounting bolts and the oil cooler,

To get that difficult bolt in the hole I used a telescopic magnet, grabbed the bolt from the side then worked it into the hole. To tighten that bolt had to use a 3/8" ratchet with a flex head. While Pat held the ratchet in place Torqued the lock nuts from the bottom side.

Installing the cooling lines on the oil cooler, I removed the fuel tank and the side cover that the oil lines pass through, to get one stubborn line on grabbed it with a pair of pliers then tapped the pliers bringing the oil line into place.

The clutch belts, I used a cable come a long to keep the clutch peddle depressed giving me a bit more slack on the v pulleys.  Even with the clutch peddle fully depressed the belts are a bit tight to get onto the sheaves. As your working the first belt into place you may have to turn the engine flywheel by hand.

With the many do it yourself mechanics on this forum I would think there's more than one way to skin a cat and every mechanic has his work arounds to solve a problem.

Edited by rustydollar - 19 Aug 2017 at 12:13am
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 5:06am
I just unhook the clutch linkage and PTO shaft, driveshaft and it allows a good bit of clearance to work belts on pulleys. flywheel belt has to hang on pulley first then you can work other on, I'm not sure how to explain it here but I've found it works best for me.
Gotrek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 4:08pm
I hope you get good use out of that motor.  It was nice to finally meet you after years of chatting with you on forums :)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Gotrek Gotrek wrote:

I hope you get good use out of that motor.  It was nice to finally meet you after years of chatting with you on forums :)

Pleasure was mine, and I'm grateful you decided to sell the engine to me. I'm in my element with mechanical  things, chemistry boggles my mind.

Pat and I made a few stops today, first to drop off that hub for the cad work, a bit of shopping then two landfills for more shopping on the way home.

At the first landfill someone had disposed of an old Evenrude engine, I pulled the carburetor off in hopes of adapting it to another engine. The carburetor won't care if it's a two or four stroke.

The pile of cutting edges are still at the second landfill, they look like new. Next trip I'll have some room on the truck.

Not sure if its worth your time to make the trip to my neighborhood, but if you want a decent heavy duty cutting edge I'll set one aside with your name on it.

Here's an idea for your blade and it's free just pay the postage.

I purchased a few Toro lawnmowers from the local gold course the grass cutting reels had small hydraulic motors. A small motor with an eccentric to make some serious vibration would keep snow from sticking onto the blade and chew through ice and hard packed snow.

Your tractor has the hydraulics to power the pump.

Edited by rustydollar - 25 Aug 2017 at 4:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic